Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:53:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Billy Sharp  (Read 4878 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Billy Sharp
« on August 29, 2010, 09:24:00 am by The Red Baron »
Surprised no-one has commented how good Billy was yesterday. His work-rate and running off the ball were awesome and he made me tired just watching him. He also had the benefit of some better service yesterday, although I still think we need to get men into the box quicker to support him.

I was sorry that he didn't get that goal near the end, the one when Duke pulled off a top save. His performance deserved more than just a penalty- although didn't he put that one away well?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
Re:Billy Sharp
« Reply #1 on August 29, 2010, 09:34:09 am by mutleyrover »
He offers so much to the team, even without his goals, which is why everybody at the club was so determined for him to join permanently.  There are not many around like him which is why JR did something a little out of the ordinary for DRFC to secure his services.

MrRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 29, 2010, 09:57:26 am by MrRTID »
The Red Baron wrote:
Surprised no-one has commented how good Billy was yesterday. His work-rate and running off the ball were awesome and he made me tired just watching him. He also had the benefit of some better service yesterday, although I still think we need to get men into the box quicker to support him.

I was sorry that he didn't get that goal near the end, the one when Duke pulled off a top save. His performance deserved more than just a penalty- although didn't he put that one away well?

Agreed but he didn't stand out yesterday as did Martin Woods and John Oster who were absolutley sensational. James Coppinger was always a threat on the ball, and another confindent first half performance from Locky who has probably the worse partnership than all rovers player on the pitch; and for that reason I will not go into Martis' performance.

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 29, 2010, 10:08:13 am by mutleyrover »
If you rate Locky so much above Martis, watch the first and third goals from the Cardiff game and think what your comments would have been if it had been Martis in Lockwoods position!  I'm getting a little fed up of this slamming of Martis at the last two home games, and listening to SOD after the match yesterday, he is too.  Think back to his performances when he came in on loan from WBA and after joining last season. He is a good defender PROVEN at this level.  

I believe that the problem with Lockwood and Martis is the partenership. Put either alongside JOC, or a Shackell or Mills and it would not be such an issue.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 29, 2010, 10:20:56 am by Al4475 »
Martis = This season's Lewis Guy! Scapegoat - and in my opinion unwarranted, and indeed has been all season - yep he's made a couple of errors - but all players do, the striker who blazes over, the midfielder who's passes go astray, the goalkeeper who misjudges a bounce etc etc etc. I thought he played well yesterday and I'd sooner have him in our starting XI than out of it!

On the subject of the thread - Sharp offers us extra upfront, when he joined on loan last season, I wasn't convinced he'd offer us much more than our crop of strikers at the time - apart from a touch extra quality and strength! As it turns out he's proven that he offers much more than goals and that he's a bigger threat with that than everyone else at our club! He's a great signing to say the least, and the type of one that even two years ago I wouldn't have expected us to secure! I'm chuffed to bits we have needless to say! :)

MrRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 29, 2010, 11:06:08 pm by MrRTID »
mutleyrover wrote:
If you rate Locky so much above Martis, watch the first and third goals from the Cardiff game and think what your comments would have been if it had been Martis in Lockwoods position!  I'm getting a little fed up of this slamming of Martis at the last two home games, and listening to SOD after the match yesterday, he is too.  Think back to his performances when he came in on loan from WBA and after joining last season. He is a good defender PROVEN at this level.  

I believe that the problem with Lockwood and Martis is the partenership. Put either alongside JOC, or a Shackell or Mills and it would not be such an issue.

That is all I said, Martis is a decent defender but he doesn't partner well with Lockwood, his performance was good and strong in the second half, first half wasn't his cup of tea, but he is under a lot of pressure.

I did not however start slagging off his performance, it was average, if I decided to be picky I would look at Freind who really doesn't look like meeting the expectations, expecially when your filling in for one of the best left backs we have seen in many years.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 30, 2010, 12:45:53 am by Viking Don »
Not sure what your expectations were regarding Friend, but he was almost faultless yesterday and put in one or two last ditch clearances. I think Rovers have done another amazing bit of business in acquiring his services. GR was a great player for us, but Friend has time on his side (not to mention height) and will I'm sure cement his place in the starting 11.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 30, 2010, 10:47:38 am by CusworthRovers »
mutleyrover wrote:

Nice one.

It's always the same, you have people who are prepared to go to a game neutral and watch the teams performance first and foremost, and the players are secondary to the overall team performance. You then get people who go to the game specifically with an agenda on a certain player and focus on any negatives, and simply refuse to see or conveniently forget the positives.

These people are quick to come on here and spout off the negatives, but somehow seem to vanish when the player has put in a decent performance.

Aint this freedom of speech great. Opinons eh?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 30, 2010, 11:02:19 am by The Red Baron »
I was interested to hear what SO'D had to say about Martis and how they need to do some specific work on his fitness. Martis to me seems to have a concentration problem, and that might stem from a lack of confidence in his fitness and ability to last a game. Put simply, if you're worried about your body, your focus isn't on the game.

If we can get him playing at his best we'll have that commanding centre-back we all agree we need. Then it'll be just a question of finding the best partner for him. It could be Hird, who is a good reader of the game but whose distribution lets him down.

swain_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 31, 2010, 01:58:07 pm by swain_drfc »
Id much rather have Martis in the team than Wayne Thomas

He was just as bad as Locky at Cardiff and really does not fill me with confidence at all

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 31, 2010, 02:09:59 pm by wing commander »
Viking Don,sorry just cant agree with any of that im afraid.Friend had a better game than his previous efforts but he was still poor for me,he gets caught upfield and hasnt the pace to get back,meaning the centrehalfs have to cover him,he gives free kicks away in dangerous positions and his passing is sub standard.His heading is superior to Roberts but thats it for me.I dont care if he's 21 or 33 he will have to show a big improvement if he wants to cement that spot..
   However well done Hirdy,the defence was much much solid on his introduction and it was Sam who was actually positioning Martis rather than the other way round.Certainly done enough to get a starting berth for me..

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 31, 2010, 02:19:51 pm by redbrez »
friend has made some mistakes ,but i really like him and think he has a lot of potential,i think if fans stay of his back he could be better than gareth robers,and i think he has  enough pace its just that bit of anticipation and reading of the game which will come in time and more match fitness.
don't think he got forward as much on saturday which is a shame but i think it made him look a bit more solid defensively. time will tell but i think he will come good.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 31, 2010, 02:42:56 pm by tommy toes »
Al4475 wrote:
Martis = This season's Lewis Guy! Scapegoat - :)

Lewis Guy wasn't a scapegoaat. He was a player JR, DP and SOD wasted five years of time, effort and money on. A complete bottler and the most continually disappointing player I can remember in all my years watching the MIGHTY Rovers.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 31, 2010, 03:20:43 pm by wing commander »
For someone who has watched the Rovers many years you seem to have forgotten the likes of Justin Jackson,the esdaille brothers ,James Meara etc etc.All of these made Lewis almost Legend status... :P

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 31, 2010, 03:32:12 pm by tommy toes »
wing commander wrote:
For someone who has watched the Rovers many years you seem to have forgotten the likes of Justin Jackson,the esdaille brothers ,James Meara etc etc.All of these made Lewis almost Legend status... :P

That lot weren't here for 5 years and have the benfit of the  facilities Lewis had. Sure there were loads of 'players' Richardson/Weaver signed who were completly useless but none were as infuriating as him. Remember that dive at Chesterfield? Summed him up.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 31, 2010, 07:28:01 pm by roversdude »
Hird was outstanding

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 01, 2010, 08:51:58 am by mutleyrover »
I think that Friend will get better with games.  He seems to have the pace, just lacking from sharpness off the mark from what I have seen.  I don't recall him doing too much wrong on Saturday.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 01, 2010, 09:25:58 am by Rios »
tommy toes wrote:
Al4475 wrote:
Martis = This season's Lewis Guy! Scapegoat - :)

Lewis Guy wasn't a scapegoaat. He was a player JR, DP and SOD wasted five years of time, effort and money on. A complete bottler and the most continually disappointing player I can remember in all my years watching the MIGHTY Rovers.

Spot on.  Lewis Guy wasn't a scapegoat, Mark Wilson who sometimes does have good games and always gives (a sometimes limited) 100% could lay claim to that title.

Nobody likes a cheat.  Nobody likes a bottler.  Nobody likes to think that someone is taking advantage of their good nature or kindness.  Lewis had five years of decent facilities, top notch training and a decent wedge to take home.  Rovers fans on the other hand paid £20+ a ticket to watch him fall over like a fish, bottle every challenge on him and to bump into him on a weekday night pissed out of his head telling you how he was too good for our club.

However, there's karma here.  Lewis Guy who stole his wages for five years now plays for MK Dongs who stole someone elses club!  Could there be a better fit?

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 01, 2010, 10:49:18 am by inSODwetrust »
I beg to differ, I think the first 2 seasons Lewis Guy had with us, he played very well and partnered Paul Heffernan more than suitably, also I think around that time we were looking for a replacement for Gregg Blundell and I personally think he fit into that role very well.
 The problem with LG was that he wasn't a good enough player to step up from league 1 to the Championship (same as Adam Lockwood, and various other players we have released recently), so the fans got on his back and he was low in confidence, it remains to be seen what he manages to do at MK Dons, baring in mind he was their hero last week Vs Blackpool.
 As for Billy he is definately the complete signing, but for James Coppinger, he has got to be the bargain of the decade, £25.000 from Exeter and if we were to sell him now we would get near on a million, as he is a game changer as we saw Vs Bristol City and gives 100% eveyweek.

:scarf:

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 01, 2010, 11:51:15 am by Viking Don »
Wing Commander, we can't all agree, but GR used to get caught upfield all the time also, and not be able to get back in time, but that's just down to the way we use the fullbacks, as wingbacks almost. It's down to the rest of the team to cover for either of them when they're bombing forward, noone expects them to get back from the oppositions corner flag when they make a break.

GF is far from the finished article, but for me he's shown that he'll be a fantastic addition to the side. Not sure who'll be playing left-back when JC is fit, but his left foot gives him a bit of an advantage.

Yes, InSod.... agree about Copps, the bargain of the century IMO.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012