Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:39:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Smallest team in EPL  (Read 3968 times)

Bristol Red Rover Jnr.

• Forum Member
Smallest team in EPL
« on August 31, 2010, 12:15:43 pm by Bristol Red Rover Jnr. »
Out of interest, I was wondering what the smallest team in the top division has been since the Premier League was formed in  1992. (by smallest, I mean the team with the smallest area associated with it)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bristol Red Rover Jnr.

• Forum Member
Re:Smallest team in EPL
« Reply #1 on August 31, 2010, 12:27:24 pm by Bristol Red Rover Jnr. »
if thats the case when we get promoted, we will have the smallest ever team in PL by 5000 according to wiki. ;)

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 31, 2010, 12:31:30 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
Does Wimbledon count?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 31, 2010, 12:46:58 pm by MrFrost »
Smallest area? Based on population? Because in terms of area, the Borough of Donny is larger than Leeds or Sheffield. I'm pretty sure Wigan and Sunderland are smaller than Burnley (and Donny). You could argue all the London club's areas are small. What's the population of Chelsea? Or Arsenal? Or Tottenham?

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 31, 2010, 01:14:18 pm by Jim Dobbin »
Burnley, Barnsley or Blackpool at a guess.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 31, 2010, 01:17:10 pm by CusworthRovers »
I'm not sure there is infact an area/suburb/borough in London called Arsenal and that might apply to QPR and Charlton..........I'll stand corrected by any shandy drinkers on here  ;)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 31, 2010, 01:17:28 pm by RobTheRover »
MrFrost wrote:
Smallest area? Based on population? Because in terms of area, the Borough of Donny is larger than Leeds or Sheffield. I'm pretty sure Wigan and Sunderland are smaller than Burnley (and Donny). You could argue all the London club's areas are small. What's the population of Chelsea? Or Arsenal? Or Tottenham?

Population of Arsenal! ROFLMAO!!!!!

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 31, 2010, 01:19:16 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
It was the Woolwich Arsenal wasn't it?

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 31, 2010, 01:24:09 pm by CusworthRovers »
I thought Woolwich was SE and south of the Thames

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 31, 2010, 01:25:47 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Sheepskin Stu wrote:
It was the Woolwich Arsenal wasn't it?

It was originally Woolwich Arsenal at Woolwich (railway station is still Woolwich Arsenal) South of the Thames a couple of miles south of Charlton.

Arsenal are now  actually based in Holloway, North London and moved there about 1913

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 31, 2010, 01:35:25 pm by scuzzer »
I'd have had Blackburn down as smaller than Burnley from my visits over there. I think the ground is between Blackburn and Darwen, wherever it is it's the middle o nowhere and certainly has that 'one horse town' feeling!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 31, 2010, 01:48:15 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
MrFrost wrote:

Technically the population of the town of Doncaster is 67,977.  The borough is classed as 286,866.

Your argument on Leeds and Sheffield is completely false.  Sheffield has an estimated population of 547,000.  Leeds 443,000 for the City and 770,000 for the Borough.

Sunderland's borough has 280,000 whilst the city of Sunderland is 170,000 of that.  On football terms they don't have too much in the way of competition with Newcastle the only other club in that area.

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #12 on August 31, 2010, 01:58:33 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
depends what is meant by smallest; crowd size ground size local population etc.

the last used to be obvious and easily measured, ie burnley is bigger than Scunthorpe, or whatever.

however most clubs in the EPL are now 'brands' and are followed by people with no connection to their geographical title. [a bit like the Halifax bank or whatever].

we have fans all over the country [likle myself] but i am Doncaster born. i didn't wake up in Solihull one day, and decide to follow the Rovers!!

so i am thinking of clubs with most localised support-must be Barnsley....

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 31, 2010, 02:01:03 pm by MrFrost »
big fat yorkshire pudding wrote:
MrFrost wrote:

Technically the population of the town of Doncaster is 67,977.  The borough is classed as 286,866.

Your argument on Leeds and Sheffield is completely false.  Sheffield has an estimated population of 547,000.  Leeds 443,000 for the City and 770,000 for the Borough.

Sunderland's borough has 280,000 whilst the city of Sunderland is 170,000 of that.  On football terms they don't have too much in the way of competition with Newcastle the only other club in that area.

I said in terms of area the Borough of Doncaster is larger than the Leeds and Sheffield borough's, which it is.

The 67k population of Doncaster covers only the town centre, Bentley and Armthorpe areas I believe.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 31, 2010, 02:09:07 pm by Superspy »
i must be missing something but how can the borough of donny be bigger than leeds and sheffield is donny has 300k, leeds has 550k and sheff has 440k?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 31, 2010, 02:20:07 pm by MrFrost »
It is bigger in terms of area. Jesus, what is hard to understand about that?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 31, 2010, 02:40:40 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
MrFrost wrote:
It is bigger in terms of area. Jesus, what is hard to understand about that?

But in reality what does the area of the borough have to do with anything, population is the key isn't it?  If it does anything it proves that it's even more difficult as half the borough of Doncaster is further away to Doncaster itself than in other boroughs.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 31, 2010, 02:43:30 pm by MrFrost »
The original post mentions area. I was merely answering that.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 31, 2010, 03:28:41 pm by CusworthRovers »
Would I be right in thinking that within the Borough of Doncaster, there are no suburbs nearer to another club, other than Donny. I would suggest Mexborough may be the tightest in terms of distance to Donny town centre as opposed to Rotherham town centre.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 31, 2010, 04:04:38 pm by bedale rover »
scuzzer wrote:
I'd have had Blackburn down as smaller than Burnley from my visits over there. I think the ground is between Blackburn and Darwen, wherever it is it's the middle o nowhere and certainly has that 'one horse town' feeling!

when i worked in wigan the population of wigan MBC was 302,000 second only to blackpool mbc which was 320,000 blackburn preston burnley were all in the region of 180,000

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 31, 2010, 04:25:24 pm by stuey »
Just found this.

town pops

Seems town population is totally different to borough popuplation

Bristol Red Rover Jnr.

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 31, 2010, 07:28:20 pm by Bristol Red Rover Jnr. »
MrFrost wrote:
The original post mentions area. I was merely answering that.

I did mean population not area, thanks for the info. But amount of local fans is really what I meant.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 31, 2010, 08:15:36 pm by hoolahoop »
Thorne perhaps is nearer to Scunny but is it part of the borough.....I'm not sure ?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 31, 2010, 08:16:45 pm by MrFrost »
hoolahoop wrote:
Thorne perhaps is nearer to Scunny but is it part of the borough.....I'm not sure ?

Thorne is indeed in the borough of Donny.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 31, 2010, 08:29:57 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Interesting. If we are to compare Rovers and Barnsley, has Barnsley managed to retain a higher percentage of 'residents' who stay loyal to the club, or is Barnsley just like us in that they have a fair smattering of Leeds/Wednesday fans etc?

I guess we'll never know however, I'll always look back at out lost generation when in the late 80s and through the 90's when it was sad but, may be understandable, that folk chose Leeds/Wendies over us.

As Barnsley didn't slump as fare as we did, then I would guess they don't have as many Barnsley whites/Owls, although it does irk me when I hear Donny Tyke on the radio !!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 31, 2010, 08:46:29 pm by Donnywolf »
CusworthRovers wrote:
Would I be right in thinking that within the Borough of Doncaster, there are no suburbs nearer to another club, other than Donny. I would suggest Mexborough may be the tightest in terms of distance to Donny town centre as opposed to Rotherham town centre.

at the moment it is 8.7 miles to Rotherhams current freezing hole of a ground from Mexborough and 7.4 to KMS

However Millmoor was only 5.5 miles from Mexy and with the new Ground being close to the Station I guess that will be even closer

No matter - it is slightly nearer to Gland Park than KMS but one would only go there for away games (or if the Beer was FREE and they were not playing)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012