Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:35:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gutted  (Read 5810 times)

redmist

• Forum Member
Gutted
« on September 28, 2010, 09:57:11 pm by redmist »
Getting fed up of hearing \"Best team lost\" or \"Rovers Unlucky\".....come on boys ffs!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re:Gutted
« Reply #1 on September 28, 2010, 10:06:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Same here.

I hope Forest get the wrath of our frustration.

redmist

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 28, 2010, 10:13:46 pm by redmist »
Listened to some of the Forest game, they were poor against Utd in first half, Blades missed a host of chances (much like us) and allowed forest back in it.....I agree, we can take Forest!! come on!!

charledrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 28, 2010, 10:17:20 pm by charledrfc »
Emphatically agreed. No doubt I shall be labelled a doom and gloom merchant (I am far from it) but facts are facts and the facts are that we have collected one of the last nine available points and slipped from 4th to 14th with consummate ease.

Maybe the time is ripe for us to stop worshipping at the shrine of \"performance\" and face the stern reality that the ONLY object of any game is to score more goals that your opponent. Where is the directness, where is the steel?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 28, 2010, 10:21:31 pm by hoolahoop »
Not at all that's the reality of the situation, we want goals and points NOT freefall and performance.

kittyslass

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 28, 2010, 10:22:52 pm by kittyslass »
redmist wrote:
Getting fed up of hearing \"Best team lost\" or \"Rovers Unlucky\".....come on boys ffs!!

From 4th to 14th in just a couple of weeks. Dingles and Forest now above and Blades catching up quick. Absolutely pissed off.

C'mon lads. Get it together again for Saturday PERLEEEAAASSE!!!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 28, 2010, 10:25:25 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It is frustrating but look at the positives. There are too many to rip up the style of play.

We may need a tweak here or there. Hayter must surely be re-introduced now and if that doesn't improve the conversion rate then we could be in trouble.

You can't help but think someone like JET would have had a field day with that much dominance.

It doesn't take much to get back up this league. Starting Saturday, we need everyone to suck, blow and will the ball in to the net !!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 28, 2010, 10:26:58 pm by hoolahoop »
4 points from the 15 available away from home is definitely not Play-Off potential.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 28, 2010, 10:28:06 pm by PDX_Rover »
IMHO it's wide open in this division.  Two wins and we can be right back in the mix.  Some of the scores tonight shows that any team can beat any team on the day.  At least Billy got his goal from open play so let's kick on from that and tonk Forest.

I still fancy us to be in the play off mix come May.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 28, 2010, 10:32:42 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Coventry City fan in peace.

I have genuinely came home from tonights game scratching my head as to how we have come away with three points, we were taken to the cleaners by your midfield tonight and if you had of put your two golden chances away it maybe would of been 3 or 4?

Really liked your style of play, good luck for the season

Familiar I know. But I'm greedy. I want the 3 points and the praise !!

midlandsrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 28, 2010, 10:35:35 pm by midlandsrover »
For periods tonight Rovers played as well as I have seen them in quite some time.  Don't get too downhearted, Coventry are exactly the type of team we are always going to struggle against.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 28, 2010, 10:41:58 pm by BobG »
True MR. But Coventry are also exactly the sort of team that any side eyeing up the top 6 should be beating. As we should have done tonight. This goal shyness is starting to become very expensive.

Cheers

BobG

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 28, 2010, 10:43:16 pm by RTID75 »
Living just three or so miles from their ground, I am home.

I am happy to report that the view from a Cov fan posted above does indeed ring true. Cov had just about the better of the first half (and their first looked a good three feet offside to me, but I'd need to see it again) and for large portions of the second half we tore them apart but just couldn't put the ball away, then were sucker punched from one of very few second half Cov attacks. It was gutting as up until that point it looked like if anyone was going to get a winner it would be us.

Cov fans have gone up a little in my estimation too. Was stopped twice on the way out by their fans - 'Unlucky, you deserved more than that' was the first comment and the second was 'You were the best team to play here so far this season and that was a travesty' before being wished a safe journey home (didn't tell him it was only three miles!) ;).

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 28, 2010, 10:43:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Don't think this geezer has watched the game.

Gary McSheffrey's late header gave Coventry victory in their mid-table Championship encounter with Doncaster.
McSheffrey headed home Aron Gunnarsson's right-wing cross in the 86th minute to give the Sky Blues their fourth league win of the season.
Earlier, Billy Sharp's low drive had cancelled out Gunnarsson's second-minute, close-range finish.
Marlon King was forced off injured in his first Coventry start since signing after serving a jail sentence.
King, who was jailed for 18 months after being found guilty of sexual assault and was released from prison in July before joining City, had one good effort tipped over by Rovers keeper Neil Sullivan before leaving the action in the 65th minute.
At that stage the score stood at 1-1.
Gunnarsson opened the scoring for Coventry with their first attack of the game, latching on to Clive Platt's ball across the face of goal and converting from six yards.
But Sharp drew Doncaster level just before half time, when John Oster's superb raking pass picked out the Rovers striker and he drilled home the equaliser, low from 12 yards.
The game appeared to be heading for a draw, but with four minutes remaining Gunnarsson sent over a pinpoint cross from the right and McSheffrey, on as a 61st minute substitute, powered home his header into the bottom corner from six yards.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 28, 2010, 10:57:54 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Cuts like a bloody knife !

Feel like hell!

But come Sat I will be so so loud ...come on south side sing up!!!!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 28, 2010, 11:03:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
If Martis injured for Saturday, I hope he drafts in Webster to play along side JOC. He has the better potential to be a good centre half who can play a bit.

Hayter has to be included for me. The other good news is Chambers starts full training on Monday and will be available for selection after the international break.

Hope we can win, just like we did before last break.

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #16 on September 28, 2010, 11:08:08 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
i too am pretty depressed. its bad enough living in the West Midlands without every team round here beating us.

[except Solihull Borough in the friendly, we really whooped their brummie arses]

i heard a Coventry fan say 'they [rovers] played total football, we played total crap but won'

how many corners did we have, how much posession did we have???

am i deluded or is this one we really really should have won.

it feels like a couple of years ago when something was missing.

and it was £3.40 for a half of Carlsberg and £5 to park the car. whinge whinge.

but then its not that long ago that we were watching the Rovers at Nuneaton!!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 28, 2010, 11:09:39 pm by BobG »
As far as I am concerned, it is utterly contrary to the laws of nature for anyone, anyone at all, to beat the Rovers. I'll allow the odd draw may occur when an opposition side plays particularly well, but Rovers losing? There are laws against that y'know.

BobG

NorthNorfolkRover

« Reply #18 on September 28, 2010, 11:18:26 pm by NorthNorfolkRover »
Having witnessed that performance I can only assume we are part of a pakistani betting scam :unsure:

VikingJames

« Reply #19 on September 29, 2010, 01:11:56 am by VikingJames »
So frustrating tonight. I haven't been as annoyed as that leaving a game for a while, but it just seemed like a huge opportunity missed, as Coventry were there for the taking - poor side.

First half, they were the better team. Didn't take them long to take advantage, shocking defending for the first goal, 3 players going to shut down the ball and not one tracking Gunnarsson who slid it under Sully for a simple finish. We struggled to get going in the first half, you could see what the players were trying to do, but it just wasn't coming off for whatever reason. They did a decent job of stopping us doing our thing, but having said this, we created the 2 best chances of the half. Woodsy somehow managed to put the ball wide from about 12 yards out - he had nobody around him, nobody closing him down. The ball bobbled out to him and he didn't even hit the target. The other one was when it fell to Copps 6 yards out, struggled to get it out of his feet and hit it straight at the keeper - should've scored really. Our equaliser came out of nothing really, as we were struggling to find that killer instinct in the final third. I can't even remember the build up to the goal, but suddenly Billy found himself in behind the defence; he chested it down and shot across the goalkeeper for a nice finish. I thought we were quite lucky to go in at half time level - we did enough of our passing and build up in midfield, but looked toothless going forward.

Second half was a different story. We dominated large parts of the 2nd half, and limited them to 1 or 2 crosses flashing across the box and long range efforts. Our passing seemed to click and we carved Cov open on a number of occasions. How we didn't score another is beyond me, I don't think I've seen so many brilliant chances go to waste in 1 half of football. Can't recall them all in great detail, but we hit the woodwork at least once, and had 2 or 3 efforts cleared off the line. The main chance that sticks in my mind was the Wilson one right near the end - how on earth did he put it over? He had an open goal with the keeper on the floor, and he found row Z. Unbelievable. But right at the end we were caught napping. We'd had the territorial advantage for quite a spell, and when Coventry broke on us, we fell apart. Their player skipped past Locky who dived in (suicidal piece of defending,) crossed it to the back post, and McSheffrey was all on his own at the far post to stoop and nod past Sullivan who had no chance. It was such a sickener after all the chances we had created in the 2nd half - but football is a cruel game.

Overall, a draw would've been fair. Cov the better team in the 1st half, us the better in the 2nd, although we created the best chances of the game by far. But it was the same old same old that let us down - poor defending from crosses, not taking our chances, and a lack of support for Billy up front. We need Hayts back in the team ASAP!

Man of the match for us - Billy Sharp. We saw the Billy Sharp of last season. Looked much more hungry, worked his socks off, got himself involved, and took his chance clinically.

Disappointment for me was Martin Woods. I'm going to upset a few people when I post this, but he is really beginning to frustrate me. For a player with so much apparent talent, he is woefully ineffective with the ball. He gives it away far too much, I can't remember many occasions when he found a red shirt with a pass tonight. His set pieces were shocking on the whole, and he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo. All players have to earn their place for me, and he just isn't doing enough. He is too comfortable as he walks into the team every week, yet he hasn't put in a properly good performance for ages!

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 29, 2010, 07:16:30 am by DonnyNoel »
Whilst there was some seriously bad shooting going on its also worth pointing out their keeper pulled 2/3 real top draw saves out the bag.

Coming away from that game felt even worse than Newcastle last season but it was a truly exceptional second half display - and I don't mean that in the usual comfortable possession way, I mean in an aggressive, direct way with men running beyond Billy and players not afraid to have a go. The chances fell to \"the wrong man\", although based on last nights game we seemed to have a lot of them when it came to finishing!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 29, 2010, 08:44:32 am by The Red Baron »
\"Gutted\" sums it up for me. That's why I've only just posted even though I was at the game. When I got home I just didn't want to think of things DRFC.

I can take defeat when we've been outplayed/ outfought by a better side, and perhaps we were lucky to be ahead at the break. However, the second half was the most one-sided exhibition I've seen since that game at Birmingham, almost two years ago to the day. And guess what- the outcome was the same. The defence switches off for a moment- and we've lost a game we should have won by three or four clear goals.

The finishing was atrocious, but as Noel said, the chances fell to the wrong men. That said, Friend and Wilson missed chances that no professional footballer should miss- and Woods several times failed to even hit the target when well placed.

The disappointing thing is that in two years we've not really moved on. And it still doesn't feel any better walking away after a game with the home fans queueing up to tell you that Rovers were the better side and \"the best we've played all season.\"

Can we please start to play cr*p and win instead?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 29, 2010, 06:58:20 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Their player skipped past Locky who dived in (suicidal piece of defending,)

Unusual for SOD to pick out a moment in the game to crticise but just heard him comment about this. He said you can't dive in that far out. Whether it be down to tiredness or lazyness, you can't do it.

We've all deliberated about Locky, and we know he's limited.

Perhaps it's time to move on. There are other centre halves at the club waiting in the wings.

VikingJames

« Reply #23 on September 29, 2010, 09:08:48 pm by VikingJames »
DonnyBazR0ver wrote:
Their player skipped past Locky who dived in (suicidal piece of defending,)

Unusual for SOD to pick out a moment in the game to crticise but just heard him comment about this. He said you can't dive in that far out. Whether it be down to tiredness or lazyness, you can't do it.

We've all deliberated about Locky, and we know he's limited.

Perhaps it's time to move on. There are other centre halves at the club waiting in the wings.

Spot on. I've just pointed out in another thread, the only quality that Locky brings to the team over our other defenders is his ability to win headers, (and he fails to do that when against a big brute like Clive Platt.( Other than that, ALL of our other centre backs are better all-round defenders (maybe barring Webster, who I haven't seen enough of to judge.)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 29, 2010, 10:32:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just seen the highlights and first goal not as bad as what I thought. We got sucked in towards the cross and no one could intercept it, their players flick ran in to the path of Gunnersen who was onside whilst their other player was in an offside position but not interfering.

Their second. Well 3 handbag tackles from Woods, Friend and then Lockwood put the rest of the team in deep shit. You can't blame Dumbuya or JOC as their player should never been allowed to skip through those tackles.

At that stage of the game anyone of the above could have taken a yellow for the team !

That word again, ruthless...or cynical, call it what you like, we have to be tougher and grow some balls !!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 30, 2010, 07:18:06 am by RobTheRover »
Gillett would have happily taken that yellow.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 30, 2010, 03:47:32 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Just watched the highlights on Player.

Wilson's miss was shocking.  :blink:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 30, 2010, 05:14:41 pm by selby »
Wilsons was not as bad as Coppingers from 6yds or Woods twice at least he tryed to shoot with the correct foot Woods as always ran around the ball to use his left foot and then missed,Dont pick on one player they were aall bad misses at profesioal level a sunday league player would have put one of those away

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on September 30, 2010, 05:18:59 pm by Filo »
selby wrote:
Wilsons was not as bad as Coppingers from 6yds or Woods twice at least he tryed to shoot with the correct foot Woods as always ran around the ball to use his left foot and then missed,Dont pick on one player they were aall bad misses at profesioal level a sunday league player would have put one of those away

Well said that man!

I-was-there1976

« Reply #29 on September 30, 2010, 05:24:46 pm by I-was-there1976 »
you cant go blaming Copps. He'll take his puffy gloves off and slap ya like a big girl

TinyPortal © 2005-2012