Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:51:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: back from coventry  (Read 3551 times)

yapper1901

• Forum Member
back from coventry
« on September 29, 2010, 12:29:17 am by yapper1901 »
and i must say our crowd was great tonight
the kid on the drummer dont know who it was but he was great(dint think it same one as keepmoat as hes s**t)
got the crowd really singing

to the game once again bar the first 10 min (till martis went off) and about 2 min in second half
we were on top of the game

what really pisses me off is we have the best midfield in the championship bar none
but our defense is s**t (bar mustafa and oconner) we have a real real chance this year to get
up to the premiership but there is no way the midfield can keep coming to our rescue

we only have the points we have this year because of them, for me we need to get rid of
martis, lockwood, hird, webster and friend and get two good center backs in

i mean john ryan sold me at the beginning of the season saying we have the biggest budget ever and he has paid out of his own pocket for sharp, so where is the money, i mean we had wellens and mills
money, now before everyone jumps on i know the directors pump in 2 million a year to keep the club in the green but surly there is some money somewhere i mean we had two good cup runs in the last two years
where is the money. and john ryan if there is none stop spouting the same old shit at the start of season you did it when we sold mills and you did it again this season

anyway rant over its just so frustrating watching them play so well and to lose when you know if we just had 1 decent center back to partner oconner neither goals would have gone in

my man of the match tonight is mustafa

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GM-MarkB

Re:back from coventry
« Reply #1 on September 29, 2010, 06:42:45 am by GM-MarkB »
\"2 good cup runs in the last 2 years\"

Which Cups were they in then  :huh:

NorthNorfolkRover

« Reply #2 on September 29, 2010, 06:50:26 am by NorthNorfolkRover »
You can't blame the dense for the worst finishing I have ever seen in this league.mustafa went AWOL for their winner though.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 29, 2010, 07:31:15 am by DonnyNoel »
NorthNorfolkRover wrote:
You can't blame the dense for the worst finishing I have ever seen in this league.mustafa went AWOL for their winner though.

Have to agree with a bit of that. Despite how the game went I can assure those who weren't there is wasnt a normal \"plenty of possession but nothing to show in the final third\" typical SOD defeat. We battered them. We missed 2 chances a Sunday league striker would have scored and 2 more that should have been bread and butter at this level. Throw in at least 2 top draw saves from a Premiership-class keeper and you get the picture.

We got caught for both goals though it has to be said. How someone manages to wander onto our 6 yard line despite us having 3 CBs is obviously not good. As for the second it was just one small mistake after another - Friend out of position, Locky failing to clear and Dumbuya probably making his first mistake in 3 games to get the wrong side of someone. Harsh lesson - but a reminder that despite how poor Coventry were, a lot of average sides still have players that can hurt you.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 29, 2010, 07:53:34 am by mushRTID »
Why does everyone keep saying we have the best midfield in the league?

They are very good dont get me wrong, but there are others in this league who get more goal, more assists, granted they are probably paid more than ours but we do not have the best midfield in the league. Its a myth.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 29, 2010, 08:28:32 am by bobjimwilly »
yapper1901 wrote:
we need to get rid of martis, lockwood, hird, webster and friend and get two good center backs in

Hird has hardly featured this season and webster hasn't played - how can you judge them on that?  :huh:

GM-MarkB

« Reply #6 on September 29, 2010, 08:31:51 am by GM-MarkB »
bobjimwilly wrote:
yapper1901 wrote:
we need to get rid of martis, lockwood, hird, webster and friend and get two good center backs in

Hird has hardly featured this season and webster hasn't played - how can you judge them on that?  :huh:

Indeed...lets ship out 5 defenders and bring in 2...genius  :S

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 29, 2010, 09:35:56 am by hoolahoop »
mushRTID wrote:
Why does everyone keep saying we have the best midfield in the league?

They are very good dont get me wrong, but there are others in this league who get more goal, more assists, granted they are probably paid more than ours but we do not have the best midfield in the league. Its a myth.

Name me a better one including cover then please mush. If we didn't have , with our lack of solidarity in both defense and attack, we would be at the bottom of the Division surely ?

Chrisd_123

« Reply #8 on September 29, 2010, 09:50:53 am by Chrisd_123 »
NorthNorfolkRover wrote:

Their winner was a good goal, dumbuya's positioning wasn't great but it was a good counter attack. As for the worst finishing, It wasn't great but did you see some of the saves Westwood was pulling off? If it wasn't for him it would have been 3/4-1 to us.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 29, 2010, 10:06:40 am by steve@dcfd »
Midfield players do not score enough of the chances we make. That must improve if we are to progress and stop any chance of falling further. Jimmy is our best defender we are missing James Chambers. If these two players were not available then we would have the worst defence in the league. Watched the high lights last night. Sam Hird lost his man and played him on side for the first goal with Lockwood out of position on the left. Second goal Friend out of position, Lockwood missed his tackle and was on the floor. Dumbaye and Hird no were with Jimmy looking at them must have been thinking what have I got to do.We play very good football but we must change personal in defence and get our midfield players to be more clinical in front of goal.
This squad is not ready yet to gain a top six place and yes we have no money so lets all accept we will win a few and lose more.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 29, 2010, 11:03:36 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
No bones about it we should have won by many.  So frustrating and SOD in his interview was highly critical aswell, he's mighty frustrated that we're playing well and not scoring.  Three days of shooting practice I think.  I actually thought we defended well bar Lockwood's mistake for the first and going all out for the win we got hit on the counter, I'd rather see that, people moan when we're too defensive yet when we go for it we're criticised.

Someone said Martis was a weak link, I assume they didn't go to the game, Martis was good it was Lockwood that made the one mistake.  It was the midfield, just didn't get going and Cov tried to kick us at every opportunity.   When it did get going we were excellent and make no mistake, we should have had 3 points last night, look at the match stats they prove that point.

NigelJ

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 29, 2010, 11:05:28 am by NigelJ »
A few comments about players out of position. When Martis went off last night, you would've thought we'd play Dumbaya at right back and Friend at left back, with Hird, Lockwood and O'Connor in the middle.

Apart from we didn't.

Friend and Dumbaya were played in very advanced positions, almost in midfield, leaving a back three, with Lockwood the leftmost of them. Coventry broke down their right (when, for the rest of the game, they were playing through the middle), and a far post cross was converted. Neither Friend nor Dumbaya could get back quick enough from their advanced positions.

And, yes, the result was a travesty. We absolutely battered them second half, and a combination of bad luck and poor finishing/good goalkeeping by Coventry meant we got caught by the sucker punch at the end.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 29, 2010, 11:07:15 am by ravenrover »
IMHO I have to stand up for Sam Hird in the two games he has played a decent amount of time Norwich and Coventry he has played very well and last night I thought he and JO'C were the best defenders. Lockwood played well against the high ball getting his head in and not letting their big players boss him about. As to the 1st goal which was at the far end ftom us there did seem a good claim for off-side and apparantly on Radio Dee Dah they claimed off-side.
Cracking goal from Billy, great move acros the defender clinical finiss
2nd half what can you say we absolutely played them off the park but the scoring opportunities all fell to midfield or defenders, if Billy had been on the end there would have been no doubt about the result
Good header from Hird saved at the near post, Friend, who I am sorry to say is not good enough can't wait for Chambers to get fit. missed an absolute sitter from a good cross, Shiels and Woods firing high and wide, great volley from Stock, on as sub what is going off there?, from a corner something we tried several times, a couple of shots from Oster blocked, a scramble on the goal line, and then the biggest sitter of all Mr Wilson blasting over an open goal when a side foor would have done the job.
just listened to SO'D interview and he mentioned the P word  \"if we want promotion!!!!\" and he was very critical of the players.
Just hope we can get it together on Sat we need 9 points from the next 3 home games and at least 1 win from the two away games if we are being serious about promotion this season.
From the way Billy was moving last night I have a feeling he will be missing f0r 3-4 weeks to have his hernia sorted emergency loan required?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 29, 2010, 11:07:53 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Yes Nigel, we did get forward, but I'd rather see us going all out for a win than sitting back inviting pressure, had we put the great chances we had away it would have proved a masterstroke.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 29, 2010, 11:13:01 am by DonnyNoel »
big fat yorkshire pudding wrote:
Yes Nigel, we did get forward, but I'd rather see us going all out for a win than sitting back inviting pressure, had we put the great chances we had away it would have proved a masterstroke.

Agreed, had we got the goals last night it would have been a game for the ages. The performance was almost every bit as good as Wednesday away last season - remember in that game Tudgay missed two chances in the first 10 minutes and it could have been different.

On such small margins...

As for the point re the sitters last night, IMO both the Copps and Friend chance were as easy as Wilsons. Wilson had bodies on the floor so had to aim high so there was always a chance of it going over. Friend missed the ball. Copps got into a great position, dummied the keeper into going down early, then passed him the ball. Shooting practice all round.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 29, 2010, 11:32:05 am by hoolahoop »
I wished I had a £10 for every time we've all advocated a week of shooting practise. I could then buy mesen dat Wendies Bentley, dat day all share.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 29, 2010, 11:43:07 am by DonnyNoel »
hoolahoop wrote:
I wished I had a £10 for every time we've all advocated a week of shooting practise. I could then buy mesen dat Wendies Bentley, dat day all share.

Nah, just buy a Bentley! A Bentley. A Bentley. Hoola drives a Bentley. A Bentley.

:laugh:

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 29, 2010, 11:45:16 am by bobjimwilly »
Brief stats from OS for last nights game:

Coventry:
Possession: 47%
Shots On Target: 7
Shots Off Target: 6
Corners: 5
Fouls: 8

Rovers:
Possession: 53%
Shots On Target: 12
Shots Off Target: 7
Corners: 14
Fouls: 10

:S

Redandwhitewhizards

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 29, 2010, 11:49:15 am by Redandwhitewhizards »
Chrisd_123 wrote:
NorthNorfolkRover wrote:

Their winner was a good goal, dumbuya's positioning wasn't great but it was a good counter attack. As for the worst finishing, It wasn't great but did you see some of the saves Westwood was pulling off? If it wasn't for him it would have been 3/4-1 to us.

Dumbuya's positioning was poor, but it should have never got to that point - Lockwood went diving in on the counter and completely made a mess of it and we then conceded.

Sooner he is away from the first team plans the better.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 29, 2010, 11:59:30 am by Barmby Rover »
DonnyNoel wrote:
hoolahoop wrote:

Nah, just buy a Bentley! A Bentley. A Bentley. Hoola drives a Bentley. A Bentley.

:laugh:

He drives IN Bentley,more likely to drive a Yaris!

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:   ;)

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 29, 2010, 04:02:00 pm by Wellred »
bobjimwilly wrote:
Brief stats from OS for last nights game:

Coventry:
Possession: 47%
Shots On Target: 7
Shots Off Target: 6
Corners: 5
Fouls: 8

Rovers:
Possession: 53%
Shots On Target: 12
Shots Off Target: 7
Corners: 14
Fouls: 10

:S

Unfortunately however the only stats that count and are shown in this morning paper are....................Coventry City 2 Doncaster Rovers 1

TinyPortal © 2005-2012