Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:07:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Martis  (Read 2311 times)

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
Martis
« on September 29, 2010, 12:36:59 pm by Barmby Rover »
Picked up a groin injury last night and to quote Sean \"doesn't look too good for Saturday\", Hird and O Connor anybody?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re:Martis
« Reply #1 on September 29, 2010, 12:45:48 pm by ravenrover »
Don't see why not, as I have said in an a different thread I think Sam has played well has come on as sub and against Coventry last night.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 29, 2010, 12:55:57 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I thought Hird was superb last night.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 29, 2010, 01:44:50 pm by Superspy »
but you just KNOW its going to be locky and JOC instead. :(

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 29, 2010, 01:51:37 pm by Barmby Rover »
I would hate to think that Sean is so easily predictable, I suspect he sees what we do AND a lot more, he will make decisions based upon his judgement of what is required to beat Forest, if that is Locky then it is for a reason.
It is interesting that he is saying that you need to win as well as create a good performance now, listen to the interview on BBC Football on the Coventry report. Shhoting practice will be the order of the day by the sounds of it!

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 29, 2010, 02:40:20 pm by Wellred »
Not exactly rocket science though is it?
We simply need to learn to take our chances and not try and walk the ball into the net.

VikingJames

« Reply #6 on September 29, 2010, 04:11:01 pm by VikingJames »
If this is the case, Hird in on Saturday for me, and Dumbuya back to RB.

Locky looked dodgy again last night.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 29, 2010, 04:33:14 pm by Rios »
VikingJames wrote:

And this thread shows why O'Driscoll is our most successful ever manager, by not listening to us.  What a great idea and if Friend gets injured we could be the first team in league history to have a sub six foot starting eleven.  Lockwood is a league one player, but he can win balls in the air.  O'Connor does his best but he needs a big strong partner in the middle and that isn't Hird.  O'Connor and Hird can play the same role in the middle, neither of them can play the Martis or Lockwood role.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 29, 2010, 07:14:09 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Agreed. Although Forest don't play with big men, unless Adebola gets a rare run out, it could be feasible to play JOC and Sam togther.

Normally though it would be Webster and JOC or Webster and Hird. Our frailties at the back just cement the fact that we have to have JOC in the middle to organise, encourage and anticipate.

Chambers will be back soon and with his experience, he'll give us something that Friend doesn't, although I'm nit writing Friend off altogether as he'll learn.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 29, 2010, 08:34:52 pm by RobTheRover »
Wellred wrote:
Not exactly rocket science though is it?

Could it be brain surgery, then?

VikingJames

« Reply #10 on September 29, 2010, 09:06:15 pm by VikingJames »
Rios wrote:
VikingJames wrote:

And this thread shows why O'Driscoll is our most successful ever manager, by not listening to us.  What a great idea and if Friend gets injured we could be the first team in league history to have a sub six foot starting eleven.  Lockwood is a league one player, but he can win balls in the air.  O'Connor does his best but he needs a big strong partner in the middle and that isn't Hird.  O'Connor and Hird can play the same role in the middle, neither of them can play the Martis or Lockwood role.

I'm awfully sorry that you happen to have a different opinion to me!

Lockwood isn't good enough an all-round defender to be in the starting XI for me. Truth hurts.

You say Jimmy needs a big strong partner in the middle, I wouldn't say Locky is particularly big or strong tbh. He can look after himself in the air against most strikers, but when he comes up against a striker whose purpose is to win headers, he can't really do that either -  he didn't win a thing in the air against Clive Platt last night. When that is the case, we might as well go with Hird who brings more to the plate overall.

And when you say Hird and Jimmy do the same role, I don't agree with that either. Jimmy is more of a sweeper who uses his pace to tidy up anything that is played through/over the top. Hird hasn't got that pace in his locker, and is more a reader of the game that has to use his positioning and intelligence to make up for what he lacks in pace and height. Locky has neither pace, positioning or defensive intelligence IMO, and that is quite a hinderance for a central defender playing in the second highest division in the country!

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 29, 2010, 11:40:16 pm by Wellred »
rocket science or brain surgery? It doesn't matter as long as we can learn how to score more goals than the opposition.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012