Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:16:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Question Rovers Trivia  (Read 2578 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Question Rovers Trivia
« on March 14, 2012, 10:40:49 am by Filo »
I don't know the answer to this, I've just been asked it by a mate, when Yellow cards were introduced who was Rovers first recipient of a yellow card?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Question Rovers Trivia
« Reply #1 on March 14, 2012, 11:37:07 am by Wild Rover »
Red and Yellow cards introduced in 1970 World Cup finals ( mexico ), introduced in league here in UK in 1976, but suspended 1981-1986. Wagstaffe of Blackburn got first Red, closely followed by one George Best.
I think first Yellow for DRFC was Steve Wignall, either him or Ray Ternant ( which ever got yellow other got Red ).

Thats my recollection Filo.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 14, 2012, 11:42:31 am by Filo »
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=226715
Red and Yellow cards introduced in 1970 World Cup finals ( mexico ), introduced in league here in UK in 1976, but suspended 1981-1986. Wagstaffe of Blackburn got first Red, closely followed by one George Best.
I think first Yellow for DRFC was Steve Wignall, either him or Ray Ternant ( which ever got yellow other got Red ).

The lad that asked me the question mentioned that he thought it was Wignall in a Friday night game against Stockport in 1976, but he was n`t sure and could n`t find any confirmation of it

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 14, 2012, 03:25:13 pm by Donnywolf »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=226716
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=226715

The lad that asked me the question mentioned that he thought it was Wignall in a Friday night game against Stockport in 1976, but he was n`t sure and could n`t find any confirmation of it

Ayup Filo

Well well well . I have asked this question several times on here and I WAS AT Stockport on the night in question

If you searrch on here you wwill see I keep trying to solve the question Dave or Steve Wignall. Gut feeling says Dave but my memory is crap

The Cards were due to be introduced the next day but must have started on the Friday at noon I suppose. We all knew that a caution would be greeted with a Yellow Card and so it was not a surprise when one was flourished by the Ref. It was unbelieveable as he could not wait to get it out of his pocket and was fair dancing across to our boy and flourished it high above his head

Years later my Boss was a Brother in Law of Dave W and I kept asking him to find out for me but before I got to know he had left leaving me none the wiser

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 01, 2016, 09:31:13 am by Donnywolf »
Well well well I say again

I was contacted by EMail yesterday out of the blue and informed that Steve Wignall was indeed the recipient of the first Yellow Card shown in the FL after their introduction

I was at Stockport that night and I believe both Dave (on early doors as a Sub I think) and Steve could have got the Card. It WAS a Wignall and even though I have tried the FA and the Museum of Football there is / was no definitive answer

I found also on my search that there was one other Game that night at Colchester I think it was and I have never been able to identify whether there were any Yellow Cards shown in that game and if there were at what stage of the game.

So even though I have no positive definitive proof I am happy to accept that it was Steve W and unless / until that is "disproved" I think people can claim a first for Rovers to go along with other Records they have set

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 01, 2016, 11:05:15 am by Muttley »
From Charlie's scrapbook

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 01, 2016, 03:55:13 pm by Donnywolf »
Bugger me Muttley - not literally of course

All this time trying to solve the riddle and you come up with the definitive goods. Cheers mate  :clapping:

Oh and if you know next Weeks Euromillions can you let me know before 2018 !    ;):     scarf:

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 01, 2016, 03:58:36 pm by Muttley »
Bugger me Muttley - not literally of course

All this time trying to solve the riddle and you come up with the definitive goods. Cheers mate  :clapping:

Oh and if you know next Weeks Euromillions can you let me know before 2018 !    ;):     scarf:

Just a coincidence that Charlie posted that photo on Twitter yesterday

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 01, 2016, 06:47:19 pm by Donnywolf »
Great - that's the kind of coincidence I love ! Got myself an email on the subject totally out of the blue just yesterday - thanks to the sender of that as well - and FINALLY 40 years later I find the answer that to the question that has bugged me for all that time

So Steve Wignall it was for first Yellow ! Yahoo ! The Ref was the "star" though as anyone there will remember - breaking his neck getting to Wiggy and doing such a theatrical brandishing of the Card.

Cheers to all !

TinyPortal © 2005-2012