Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:41:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: **Rovers Player Feedback Rovers v Leyton Orient**  (Read 5962 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
**Rovers Player Feedback Rovers v Leyton Orient**
« on January 19, 2013, 12:39:04 pm by Filo »
As SM has stated in the last feedback thread, hopefully there should be recordings of interviews played before and during half time periods where we`ve had silence in the past. can people listening in report back on this and any other feedback please. I think we`re getting somewhere with the commentary now and your feedback has helped, Thanks  :thumbsup:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
Re: **Rovers Player Feedback Rovers v Leyton Orient**
« Reply #1 on January 19, 2013, 02:25:27 pm by Alickismyhero »
Filo,

I listened to Derby v Forest on Derby player and it cut out loads of times but only in the second half.

DavTrav

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 19, 2013, 03:04:29 pm by DavTrav »
Keeps cutting out constantly for me in first 5 - Google Chrome

GloucesterRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 19, 2013, 03:08:07 pm by GloucesterRover »
7 minutes into the game, constantly cutting out.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 19, 2013, 03:10:13 pm by Northants Nomad »
Been OK for me, but just gone off now @ 9 mins. Listening to Orient

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 19, 2013, 03:19:13 pm by Northants Nomad »
Was OK when I switched back to DRFC commentary a minute later. Been OK since - now 19 minutes in

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 19, 2013, 03:29:22 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
No issues for me.....no cutting out or anything.

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 19, 2013, 03:46:39 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »
Don't mean to sound awful (genuinely don't mean to cause offense as I read on here often that Paul Mayfield is nice bloke) but he is not a good commentator. And I am paying for this service - does anyone find this a bit of a disappointment?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 19, 2013, 03:59:14 pm by Alickismyhero »
Filo,
 Cut out about 10 times before the game started. It seems to have settled down at half time.

Paul's commentary is OK by me. Its a difficult job and I am sure they will improve as their confidence grows.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 19, 2013, 03:59:38 pm by Northants Nomad »
Don't mean to sound awful (genuinely don't mean to cause offense as I read on here often that Paul Mayfield is nice bloke) but he is not a good commentator. And I am paying for this service - does anyone find this a bit of a disappointment?
Nope.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 19, 2013, 04:01:15 pm by Barmby Rover »
I do find Paul's commentary amusing, the first goal was hilarious, but I know what you mean ROT, Paul would admit he is not a natural commentator. At least he is very willing, which is a big plus, and I suspect he is doing it for nothing.
It has cut out twice on me, but not for too long. I didn't switch on until 5 mins before the game, I assume that nothing will be on now.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 19, 2013, 04:03:21 pm by Northants Nomad »
Broadcast has been rock-solid since that 1 minute drop about 9mins into the game.

Paul and Chris doing a good job. Is it professional, Motty-style commentary? Nope. It's two completely biased fans doing the sort of emotional commentary that I would. To be honest, I quite like the lack of clinical cleanliness that would come from so-called 'professional' commentary. Quite often on the old red-buttons, I have switched to 'fan commentary' for games - amateurish but emotionally charged.

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 19, 2013, 04:06:25 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »
I don't think anyone is really asking for anything professional only a decent chance of knowing what is happening during the game without a panicked man going half blind in the second half of games because his eyes get tired.

DavTrav

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 19, 2013, 04:18:34 pm by DavTrav »
I don't think anyone is really asking for anything professional only a decent chance of knowing what is happening during the game without a panicked man going half blind in the second half of games because his eyes get tired.

Sounds like we have a volunteer for next week!!

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 19, 2013, 04:20:55 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »

isn't that the point dear fellow. Why would anyone need to volunteer? Arn't we all paying for this service?

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 19, 2013, 04:24:00 pm by Northants Nomad »

I do get where you're coming from ROT, but I just enjoy it...it's the result that matters. To be honest, I struggle to 'picture' the game even with so-called better commentators. I listen more to the 'flow' of the game - do we sound on top, who sounds like they're having a good game, what formations are working etc? I'm not really sitting here with my 'imagination-head' on trying to picture the movement.

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 19, 2013, 04:25:35 pm by ScillyRover »
Player ok in first half but breaking up regularly early second half

Katesby

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 19, 2013, 04:25:54 pm by Katesby »
Don't want to have a dig at the commentators because I appreciate the fact that they're volunteering to do it. But, I am listening to the Orient commentary, not enjoying ours. Genuinely have no idea what's happening.   

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 19, 2013, 04:26:33 pm by Northants Nomad »

isn't that the point dear fellow. Why would anyone need to volunteer? Arn't we all paying for this service?

We're paying the hosting service to host and transmit, for their servers etc. We're not paying Rovers to provide a commentator. The money goes to that 'Premium TV' company or whatever they're called and we pay for access to hosted media such as videos, interviews, live commentary functionality. I would suspect Rovers 'cut' of this is very small but to provide a service themselves would be prohibitively expensive in IT costs alone.

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 19, 2013, 04:37:59 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »

We're paying the hosting service to host and transmit, for their servers etc. We're not paying Rovers to provide a commentator. The money goes to that 'Premium TV' company or whatever they're called and we pay for access to hosted media such as videos, interviews, live commentary functionality. I would suspect Rovers 'cut' of this is very small but to provide a service themselves would be prohibitively expensive in IT costs alone.

This may well be true but it doesn't explain how nearly every other club manages it. The Stevenage commentator last week, for example, was much more comprehensible. And they be a tin-pot club compared to the mighty hoops.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 19, 2013, 08:34:22 pm by newyankee »

No problem at all over here in the States with player this week, no cutting out, except for about one, two second blip which is acceptable.

What isn't acceptable is Paul as Commentator. Please ask Glen to commentate on the next game and have Paul as the summeriser. I didn't take to this Chris kid either today.

At the Stevenage game, Glen was able to control himself whilst doing the commentary and I feel we would appreciate Paul more if he came in and out with comments and reading the texts.

I actually spent most of the time on the Orient side, as the two they had on there were very professional and very complimentary towards the Rovers.  They didn't appear to be overly biased towards Orient, but you could tell who they supported. Every good move by us was reflected in what was said and they were in ecatasy about Messers Jones and McCombe in central defence.

I hope that if Paul reads this, he will take it as constuctive criticism.

Chrisd_123

« Reply #21 on January 19, 2013, 08:39:30 pm by Chrisd_123 »

No problem at all over here in the States with player this week, no cutting out, except for about one, two second blip which is acceptable.

What isn't acceptable is Paul as Commentator. Please ask Glen to commentate on the next game and have Paul as the summeriser. I didn't take to this Chris kid either today.

At the Stevenage game, Glen was able to control himself whilst doing the commentary and I feel we would appreciate Paul more if he came in and out with comments and reading the texts.

I actually spent most of the time on the Orient side, as the two they had on there were very professional and very complimentary towards the Rovers.  They didn't appear to be overly biased towards Orient, but you could tell who they supported. Every good move by us was reflected in what was said and they were in ecatasy about Messers Jones and McCombe in central defence.

I hope that if Paul reads this, he will take it as constuctive criticism.

If people don't want me to do it then I'll happily step aside. I've been working with Steve etc as they were kind enough to let me go in and get some work experience with them and after Tom and Paul Goodwin had to stop they asked me to help out. Baring in mind I have no experience at any form of radio at all I've tried to put across a few points without getting too biased and excitable. I understand Glen was pretty good last week so if people prefer listening to that then I'll let them know. Although, i'm gonna say this as it is me, I can't really see the problem. I'm sure I'll become a little more fluent at it after a few more games!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 19, 2013, 09:01:57 pm by RobTheRover »
I think thats fair comment Chris.  First time out, and you will only get better and better.  Stick with it.

Chrisd_123

« Reply #23 on January 19, 2013, 09:05:48 pm by Chrisd_123 »
I think thats fair comment Chris.  First time out, and you will only get better and better.  Stick with it.

Cheers, I'm at Uni doing Journalism etc and Steve offered me the chance to come in whenever I'm free to help out and get some experience. I think already I'm better than I was on the first game I did and hopefully I'll be better when I get a bit more used to broadcasting! It would be easier if i was eased into it a bit I suppose but I've kind of been thrown into the deep end with it and I'm really enjoying it so far. I know where I need to improve and I'm working on it.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 19, 2013, 10:19:56 pm by Viking Don »
Haven't heard you yet Chris but like EiW I prefer listening to fans rather than so called pros, I even loved Bradders even though I hadn't a clue what was going on in the game or even which side had scored half the time. I did listen to the Stevenage game and thought Paul and Glen did a very good job so don't be put off by a few comments, you can't please everyone.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 19, 2013, 10:48:23 pm by newyankee »
 My apologies Chris, I didn't intend to upset you and if I did I am sorry.  I just think that Glen did such a great job last week that I "and it's only my opinion", prefer him as commentator. As far as summarising is concerned, I think Paul or yourself would be equally as good as a replacement for Tom.  I used to be critical of Tom and Paul Goodwin, but you don't realise what you have until you lose it.

Maybe, had I known you were a Uni student I would have been a little more sensative.  It is not my intention to stop anyone doing what they want to do and let's face it everyone has to start somewhere.  Good on yer!!!!

Chrisd_123

« Reply #26 on January 19, 2013, 11:06:58 pm by Chrisd_123 »
My apologies Chris, I didn't intend to upset you and if I did I am sorry.  I just think that Glen did such a great job last week that I "and it's only my opinion", prefer him as commentator. As far as summarising is concerned, I think Paul or yourself would be equally as good as a replacement for Tom.  I used to be critical of Tom and Paul Goodwin, but you don't realise what you have until you lose it.

Maybe, had I known you were a Uni student I would have been a little more sensative.  It is not my intention to stop anyone doing what they want to do and let's face it everyone has to start somewhere.  Good on yer!!!!

Oh I'm not upset, just thought I'd put my point across. I know I'm not exactly Motty but then again, if i was I probably wouldn't be working for Rovers! I've done a few games now and starting to get the hang of it. I think the problem I have is we have to share one microphone which makes it hard to me to put my point across when I want to and then I'm sort of put on the spot when Paul does come to me.
The uni thing isn't really an excuse or anything, I just volunteered to help as I thought it may help me get a bit of a wider range of experience in different things for my course and stuff and as I've had a season ticket for god knows how many years and have a decent knowledge of the league etc I just thought i'd give it a go. I know how I need to improve, I've heard my own voice and could do with loosening it up a bit. I realise I'm a little monotone atm! haha!

I know everyone's entitled to their opinion like, I'm not really too fussed as to what happens with it all. I'd prefer to do it but obviously if people don't enjoy it then it needs to be changed.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:11:46 pm by Chrisd_123 »

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 20, 2013, 12:05:21 am by newyankee »

Thanks Chris,  You go for it. I amj 100% behind anyone who keeps trying and dpesn't give up. I doubt I'll be around in  twenty years to say, I knew of him when he started.

I tend to be a bit critical because I have done a bit myself in the past on Radio Leeds with Bryn Law, John Boyd and Harry Gration and also with people like John Helm and Peter Drury.

Good luck to you in all you do.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 20, 2013, 10:48:19 am by Alickismyhero »
Chris the positive for me was "NO COMMENTARY ON THE BISCUITS"
I think some people are naturally good at it and some have to work at it. You are probably too young to remember Bill McLaren the very best BBC commentator on rugby union games.

Believe it or not the effort Bill put in to research before every game was incredible. The question I would pose was he better after years doing the job than when he first started and clearly the answer is yes.

I think your confidence will grow as will your performance. Bill wasn't the best when he started but he was the best when he retired.

Stick at Chris, I know I couldn't do it.

RIP BILL McLaren.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 20, 2013, 01:43:29 pm by Filo »
were there any interviews played before the game and during half time?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012