Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:13:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Top 5 Most Valuable Players in DFP  (Read 5447 times)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Top 5 Most Valuable Players in DFP
« on March 14, 2013, 06:22:02 pm by MachoMadness »
Interesting article in todays' DFP, looking at how often we win when certain players are playing. The players who get the most wins when they start are the most 'valuable'. The top 3 won't be a surprise to anyone:

1. Hume
2. Keegan
3. Husband

but 4th and 5th are very surprising.

4. Harper
5. Bennett

Also interesting, Copps has been widely praised since his return, yet he has the lowest win/start ratio in the squad. I know, lies, damn lies and statistics and all that, but it makes for interesting reading. What do the resident stats gurus make of this? Makes you think, maybe Harper isn't as useless as he seems, or is it all just coincidental?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Top 5 Most Valuable Players in DFP
« Reply #1 on March 14, 2013, 06:25:22 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Get Harper and Bennett back in!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 14, 2013, 06:29:57 pm by RedJ »
Interesting article in todays' DFP, looking at how often we win when certain players are playing. The players who get the most wins when they start are the most 'valuable'. The top 3 won't be a surprise to anyone:

1. Hume
2. Keegan
3. Husband

but 4th and 5th are very surprising.

4. Harper
5. Bennett

Also interesting, Copps has been widely praised since his return, yet he has the lowest win/start ratio in the squad. I know, lies, damn lies and statistics and all that, but it makes for interesting reading. What do the resident stats gurus make of this? Makes you think, maybe Harper isn't as useless as he seems, or is it all just coincidental?

Purely coincidental. He's gash.

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 14, 2013, 06:32:39 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »
Firstly, statistics in football can basically be used to show anything or anyone is this or that, is essential to the team, is not essential to the team. There is rarely any kind of rigorous analysis on the nature of football actually being a team game.

Secondly, your average football fan can simply not handle statistics. They don't equate with the short-term (knee-jerk) way in which football fans think and/or make judgements (and increasingly chairmans). The habitual patterns of a football fans mind are fundamentally different to that which would be able to understand statistics in context.

Thirdly, there is never any rigour, or any evidence of rigour, applied to these statistics. Did they test for significance, use control samples or even apply any kind of basic checks on what they are claiming? No. So they are basically talking about unsubstantiated opinions with numbers attached to give them superficial validity.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 14, 2013, 06:41:36 pm by River Don »
Firstly, statistics in football can basically be used to show anything or anyone is this or that, is essential to the team, is not essential to the team. There is rarely any kind of rigorous analysis on the nature of football actually being a team game.

Secondly, your average football fan can simply not handle statistics. They don't equate with the short-term (knee-jerk) way in which football fans think and/or make judgements (and increasingly chairmans). The habitual patterns of a football fans mind are fundamentally different to that which would be able to understand statistics in context.

Thirdly, there is never any rigour, or any evidence of rigour, applied to these statistics. Did they test for significance, use control samples or even apply any kind of basic checks on what they are claiming? No. So they are basically talking about unsubstantiated opinions with numbers attached to give them superficial validity.

How long have you been working in statistics & data handling now? 7 years isn't it?

RedmanRufus

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 14, 2013, 06:47:21 pm by RedmanRufus »
What a pointless piece of data that is, Harper is shit so saying he's one of our most valuable players is just comedy.

You reds

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 14, 2013, 06:50:23 pm by Filo »

How long have you been working in statistics & data handling now? 7 years isn't it?

That must have been after his ship went down, and before he become a world famous fashion designer and the met office`s chief climatologist!

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 14, 2013, 06:52:01 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »

I have had to develop a lot of skills during my career, correct. A lot of them are self-taught. Some friends have described me as an alpha-male with a feminine touch, but I don't like to talk about myself too much. You shouldn't feel intimidated just because I have certain expertise.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 14, 2013, 07:59:43 pm by River Don »

I have had to develop a lot of skills during my career, correct. A lot of them are self-taught. Some friends have described me as an alpha-male with a feminine touch, but I don't like to talk about myself too much. You shouldn't feel intimidated just because I have certain expertise.

"Alpha male with a feminine touch" that was what Princess Anne said wasn't it?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 14, 2013, 08:08:33 pm by Nudga »

You are MadMick/MJDSmeg and I claim my £5.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 14, 2013, 08:17:21 pm by hoolahoop »

You are MadMick/MJDSmeg and I claim my £5.

You sure it's not our old friend Carling!!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 14, 2013, 11:29:03 pm by BobG »
I thought they've been one and the same all along tbh Hools.

BobG

MartinB

« Reply #12 on March 14, 2013, 11:32:38 pm by MartinB »
Wouldn't Sulli have 100% record?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 14, 2013, 11:41:59 pm by MachoMadness »
Wouldn't Sulli have 100% record?

I think they have to have played a certain number of games to count.

I wouldn't argue with those top 3 though, we do look a worse side when 2 or more of them are out. I would hope that Flynn isn't basing his selections off of it or anything but I just thought it was an interesting stat.

Doubt Harper is our 4th most valuable player in real terms of course. I don't think most of our fans would be any less valuable if they played in centre midfield. It does show just how solid the rest of the team has been though, making the most of having air traffic control in CM.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 14, 2013, 11:51:19 pm by DMnumber4 »
I wish it was just opinions.

Take Jones out and then see how far you get.

Or Tommy 'Mr Reliable' Spurr for that matter either.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 15, 2013, 10:17:07 am by moses »
Or take Cotterills goals and Assists out and see where we would be in the league.
I may have go at that tonight if the telly is slow...

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 15, 2013, 10:56:53 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »

Thanks Rovers-On-Thames, I just spat my Coffee everywhere

Yargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 15, 2013, 11:49:21 am by Yargo »
Or take Cotterills goals and Assists out and see where we would be in the league.
I may have go at that tonight if the telly is slow...
No mention of Cotterill just shows what clueless fools write shit in the DFP

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 15, 2013, 12:24:27 pm by RoversAlias »
Cotterill isn't on it because he's played nearly every game and therefore will have all of our draws and defeats as part of this calculation. If you notice, those top five players have all spend time out of the team through injuries or not being good enough to get in the starting line-up.

Stats like these are so, so misleading and not the worth the paper they are written on.

I think by this reckoning Jordan Ball must be our most productive player as he's featured in two games, a win and a draw, and scored in one and had a goal disallowed in another.

Wade Falana

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 15, 2013, 01:32:49 pm by Wade Falana »
A pointless piece in the Free Press, do they watch the games?

Also, how shit does the "all new" Free Press look?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 15, 2013, 01:42:32 pm by hoolahoop »
A pointless piece in the Free Press, do they watch the games?

Also, how shit does the "all new" Free Press look?

Thought the same mesen, arr lass thought it was some sort of freebie rag that had been put through the letter box.

Wade Falana

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 15, 2013, 02:07:32 pm by Wade Falana »
I'm especially not loving the "all new" price of 95p either. I'm not sure I'll be bothering buying it again, sport wise its quite good but there's nothing in it that hasn't been posted online earlier in the week. There is a fine line between wanting to put stories out on Twitter and giving the readers a reason to buy the paper.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 15, 2013, 02:34:06 pm by DMnumber4 »
If the results spat the names keegan, Harper and Bennett out in the top five, you'd forget the article and paint the picture everyone knows.

Without:
1) Jones
2) Cotterill
3) Spurr

you're buggered.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 16, 2013, 12:47:58 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Just going off subject,has anybody seen that bank advert,on about the bloke that stood six foot six,couldn't we make a song out of that for Jones?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012