Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:21:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Weight loss  (Read 21644 times)

MR A-Z

• Forum Member
Re: Weight loss
« Reply #60 on August 01, 2014, 02:59:44 pm by MR A-Z »
Just started jogging with the 'Get Running' app. A 9 week programme that goes from jogging a minute, walking 3 mins right up until jogging the full 25 minutes. stick your headphones in and the voice over tells you to warm up and then when to start each jog and then turns your music back up. Fantastic app and breaks you in easily. Started getting up at 06:00 and fitting it in before work and feel much better for it.

AND... Definitely going to try that homemade muesli. The shop bought ones are terrible for sugar as is any other cereal that claims to be healthy.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on August 01, 2014, 03:06:00 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I find I need a high sugar diet.  I've gone on to breakfast biscuits in a morning and they suit me well I think, if I didn't have them I wouldn't eat breakfast.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on August 01, 2014, 03:07:59 pm by Jenny »
Good effort everyone
I need to start doing something - having always been actively fit through gym etc - I had an operation on my shoulder that sidelined me for a couple of months - since then feel like I'm falling to bits so need to kickstart the diet
Out of all replies BST sounds best option for me personally
Might try getting weighed with a pocket full of change too

I weigh myself in a morning before I have had anything to eat/drink but after I have been to the toilet and completely naked! When I used to do WW classes I was obsessed with what I wore to get weighed and it had to be the same every week and the lightest clothes I owned.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on August 11, 2014, 10:58:12 pm by Mike_F »
Just got on the scales. I'm lighter than I've been for a decade and feeling fantastic. Off for a long weekend in Spain with the lads on Thursday. Here comes a stone regained!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on August 12, 2014, 09:10:01 am by Filo »
I'm sat in departures at Reus airport coming back to the UK, it's weigh in day for me when I get back, see what a week in Spain can do to my regime

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on August 12, 2014, 04:19:55 pm by Mike_F »
Good luck, Filo but don't get demoralised by the inevitable short-term weight gain. A fortnight back on the healthy regime ought to shift it.

Biarge Bob

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on August 15, 2014, 10:22:03 am by Biarge Bob »
If you are looking for somewhere to start your running career try your local  free 5K Park Run. There is one near you: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/  I can recommend a 5k run on a Saturday morning before the big game.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on August 16, 2014, 08:02:03 am by 5minstogo »
If you are looking for somewhere to start your running career try your local  free 5K Park Run. There is one near you: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/  I can recommend a 5k run on a Saturday morning before the big game.

Seconded.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on August 16, 2014, 01:01:57 pm by moses »
Thirded. It has a good mix of informality and a bit of competitiveness.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on August 16, 2014, 09:33:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Fourthed

Until the hill on the second lap at Hillsborough park every Satdi morning, when I think "What the f**k am I doing here?"

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 17, 2014, 08:51:34 am by 5minstogo »
Fourthed

Until the hill on the second lap at Hillsborough park every Satdi morning, when I think "What the f*** am I doing here?"

Not done that one, have you tried Barnsley?  Thats a killer.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on August 17, 2014, 10:05:47 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Haven't done Barnsley. Hillsborough's pretty much on the doorstep so it's easy to get to for me. The hill's not horrendous - probably rises about 15-20m in 2-300m at a guess - but it's hard work for a 47 year old who's only just getting back into running for the first time in 20 years. I have a dead flat track round a lake that I train on and I am well under 25 mins for 5k on that track. But at Hillsborough, the hill takes it out of my legs and I've never yet broken 26 mins for that 5k.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 19, 2014, 09:32:10 am by River Don »
Dr Michael Mosely was doing another one of his health programmes on Horizon again last night.

His subject was red meat, very interesting. It turns out saturated fat may not be as bad for your health as science has thought for the last forty years (it's better not to take too much of it still). Something else in red meat is bad for you though, processed red meat is particularly bad. Sausages, salami, bacon that kind of thing, it'll give you a heart attack or cancer. They think it could be to do with the curing process but they don't know yet.

Basically the advice is don't eat red meat more than a couple of times a week. When you do eat it, make it a Sunday roast rather than a bacon sandwich.

It'll be on iplayer if you are interested.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:35:33 am by River Don »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on August 20, 2014, 06:43:46 am by Filo »
Well last weeks weigh in was a massive disappointment, I put 8lbs on after only a week away, yesterday was a week after my return and the first weigh in after getting back on it and to my surprise I lost 13lbs in a week. The only explanation I can come up with is fluid retention whilst I was in a hot climate that has now returned to normal. Current running total on the weight loss is 2st 9lbs in 13 weeks

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on August 20, 2014, 08:30:45 am by Jenny »
Good work Dave! I found on that I put on almost half a stone when I was away for 2 weeks and I had dropped back down within a week of eating normally again and not drinking alcohol.

At the minute I have stayed the same weight for about 3 weeks, I would be frustrated, but I have a pair of jeans on today that didn't fit me this time last month. I have started jogging again and also taken up boxing, so despite being the same weight, my body shape is changing. That'll do I guess!

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on August 20, 2014, 08:32:15 am by Al4475 »
Sounds impressive Dave - great stuff - let's get back on the golf course too every once in a while! I've put on quite a bit of meat since I stopped playing weekly (no-one's fault really, just life's changed a bit ands I simply don't have time every week now) but I've lost a little bit as well through eating better and getting back to 6-a-side footy once I was give the all clear from the Physio after the calf injury!

Be nice to get a game of golf in every now and again!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on August 20, 2014, 11:17:05 am by River Don »
Playing golf will burn something like 400 cals an hour, if you're pulling your clubs rather than using an electric cart.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on August 20, 2014, 01:39:10 pm by Mike_F »
The footgolf up at High Melton is a good way to spend a couple of hours walking up and down a few hills. Very enjoyable to play.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on August 20, 2014, 01:40:18 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
The footgolf up at High Melton is a good way to spend a couple of hours walking up and down a few hills. Very enjoyable to play.

Wouldn't it be easier just to walk up a few hills? :)

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on August 20, 2014, 02:00:01 pm by Al4475 »
I carry my clubs rd - what's that burn roughly, any idea?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on August 20, 2014, 02:42:55 pm by River Don »
I carry my clubs rd - what's that burn roughly, any idea?

It's obviously a bit more than that and the best way to go if you're want the benefits of exercise. The figure of 400 cals is very much an estimate anyway, it depends how heavy you are and how hilly the course is you're playing.

Or you could look at it like this, a round of golf every weekend will probably take care of 1 pound in weight every month... Provided you don't overdo it at the nineteenth.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:37:56 pm by River Don »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on September 02, 2014, 08:37:04 pm by Filo »
Weigh in day today and another 5lb gone missing, running total now at -3st 1lb :)

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on September 03, 2014, 02:54:04 pm by DaveDRFC »
Nice one Filo, keep it up! I've lost about 4 stone since I took up running 5 years ago. At my heaviest I was 17 stone 6 and I vary between 13 and 13 and a half now, depending on the time of day and what I've eaten! I don't really watch what I eat that much, I just balance it out with a lot of exercise, I currently run at least 30 miles a week and I've also taken up triathlon so I'll do biking and swimming as well if I've got an event coming up.

Definitely agree with doing the Park Runs, they are a great free event, although I've only ever done it 3 times, I'm too lazy to get up and ready to run for 9am unless I've paid for it! I managed to get my goal of sub 20 minutes at Rother Valley earlier this year so not bothered going back. I reckon if they started at 10am I'd go nearly every week but I like my bed too much.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on September 03, 2014, 02:59:16 pm by Filo »
At 22st 11lb And 51 years of age I don't think I'm ready for running yet, but I'm considering getting a spinning bike to put in the shed/ garage and gently up the exrecise

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on September 03, 2014, 03:23:30 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
At 22st 11lb And 51 years of age I don't think I'm ready for running yet, but I'm considering getting a spinning bike to put in the shed/ garage and gently up the exrecise

A colossus in the front row.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on September 03, 2014, 04:56:26 pm by Al4475 »
I walked past you on the way out at the oldham game dave and didn't realise it was you till too late to chat to you unfortunately! It's a great effort matey!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on September 03, 2014, 05:13:02 pm by Filo »
I walked past you on the way out at the oldham game dave and didn't realise it was you till too late to chat to you unfortunately! It's a great effort matey!

Never saw you mate

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on September 05, 2014, 08:44:31 am by DaveDRFC »
I might be losing a bit more weight in the coming months, entered the Outlaw long distance triathlon last night. 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run coming my way on 26th July next year. Probably the stupidest thing I've ever done but at least it'll keep me busy training for it!

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on September 05, 2014, 09:20:41 am by Jenny »
You are crazy Dave! My friends brother did that and it just took over his life for quite some time.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on September 05, 2014, 01:55:03 pm by moses »
I might be losing a bit more weight in the coming months, entered the Outlaw long distance triathlon last night. 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run coming my way on 26th July next year. Probably the stupidest thing I've ever done but at least it'll keep me busy training for it!

Jees, how long does that take. I started trying to add it up but can't get my head around it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012