Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:35:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: were going down down down  (Read 3702 times)

curiousgeorge

• Forum Member
were going down down down
« on July 29, 2014, 11:12:05 pm by curiousgeorge »
Back to the conference guys n gals we are going back to the 1980s were we sold players to survive unless you can convince me different :facepalm:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Re: were going down down down
« Reply #1 on July 30, 2014, 09:06:32 am by bobjimwilly »
Back to the conference guys n gals we are going back to the 1980s were we sold players to survive unless you can convince me different :facepalm:
selling players to survive? are you having a giraffe?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 30, 2014, 09:23:06 am by Nudga »
I will bet you £200 that we don't go down. Serious bet, wanna take me up on it?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 30, 2014, 09:31:46 am by hoolahoop »

Chris , the Husband deal is a joke if it is as reported. Whilst I don't think were going down ; we have become a selling club that can't play hardball with clubs the like of Middlesbrough
A bad deal and a policy that's been smashed apart overnight with the Husband deal !  :(
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:39:45 am by hoolahoop »

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 30, 2014, 09:35:03 am by Northants Nomad »
curiousgeorge - 11 posts...if they are all as negative as that one, I am assuming that your other focus, apart from this forum, is your calls to the Samaritans. I am assuming you have them on speed-dial?

Come on folks, lighten up. Stop worrying about what may (or may not) happen.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 30, 2014, 09:37:40 am by roversdude »
 :that:
Bet you are a bundle of laughs

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 30, 2014, 09:38:43 am by Nudga »
When bigger clubs come calling we've always had to sell. I think the deal is quite good for an unproven left back. If he was a striker then the price would be double or even triple that ,  but he isnt. Plus this money is being pumped back into the squad, unlike the days when Rufus Brevett and Mark Rankine  were sold. I think you need to be a bit more patient and see how things pan out.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 30, 2014, 09:41:57 am by DonnyNoel »

Chris , the Husband deal is a joke if it is as reported. Whilst I don't think were going down ; we have become a selling club that can't play hardball with clubs the like of Middlesbrough
A bad deal and a policy that's been smashed apart overnight with the Husband deal !  :(

I reckon there are probably 3 or 4 clubs in the world that aren't selling clubs. We've just been relegated and Husband is a young left sided player who has been on radars for 18 months or so now - this sale may even have happened if we'd have stayed up. Most clubs at some point will sell a player in the hope they can get 3/4 replacements with the cash. We were spoilt in the JR era - if he wanted a player he went and got him but sadly we aren't that club any more and we face a time of operating like lots of other clubs at this level.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 30, 2014, 09:46:30 am by hoolahoop »
When bigger clubs come calling we've always had to sell. I think the deal is quite good for an unproven left back. If he was a striker then the price would be double or even triple that ,  but he isnt. Plus this money is being pumped back into the squad, unlike the days when Rufus Brevett and Mark Rankine  were sold. I think you need to be a bit more patient and see how things pan out.

Chris he's not "unproven" having played in both the Championship and as part of a promoted Div1 team the season before last. Yes I agree there are parts of his game that needed "ironing out" but unproven never .
This deal flies in the face of everything we were hoping to achieve.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 30, 2014, 09:47:48 am by DearneValleyRover »

Chris he's not "unproven" having played in both the Championship and as part of a promoted Div1 team the season before last. Yes I agree there are parts of his game that needed "ironing out" but unproven never .

What do you think he is worth? Personally if it's with add ons I think it's about correct.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 30, 2014, 09:51:45 am by DonnyNoel »

No it doesn't. Its just realistic - if future signings (inc Wellens and Copps) depend on some cash coming in then its a no brainer. Lots of clubs have to operate like this, why should we be any different?

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 30, 2014, 10:05:35 am by roversam »
Are you really a rovers fan or just a wum.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 30, 2014, 10:11:05 am by hoolahoop »

What do you think he is worth? Personally if it's with add ons I think it's about correct.

Taking away the Curtis Main element ( value ? ) . I think Husband should not have moved anywhere for less than £ 1-1.5 million.
I was not one of those slating him this or last 2 seasons . The very fact that he's been on the radar of other club's for some 18 months now speaks for itself. A lot of time and energy has been invested in this fine future England prospect. His mistakes have been noted but other club's will see that as part of the learning process.The rest of his game and the possibility that  he   could also become a rampaging left sided midfielder cannot be underestimated. Boro' come calling for a reason , as they did with the Friend deal, they buy our players at bargain prices. We are now probably considered a 'feeder' club by Boro' !

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 30, 2014, 10:15:04 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Why would anyone pay 1mill to get a player like husband now when they could next till next season and get him for free albeit it a tribunal?? if they did that he would probably be a better player too after having a full season playing for us.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 30, 2014, 10:29:21 am by RedJ »
f**k me even Barcelona and Real Madrid sell their players. Get a f**king grip man.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 30, 2014, 10:41:13 am by dickos1 »
500k is a good price for husband. He's struggled defensively, he has bags of potential but that's all it is at the minute.
Bennett had bags of potential and so did Andy Watson.
I think husband will become a very good player but he's not that at the minute, he was very naive at times last year that in the end cost us relegation.
I'm happy with 500k

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 30, 2014, 10:46:01 am by Retdon1 »
I think 500k is a fair price considering he's out of contract at the end of the season plus add Maine to the deal it's a decent deal overall. Just hope we have a sell on clause included so if he does go on and be a prem player we make some money out of it.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 30, 2014, 10:55:37 am by rtid88 »
I think 500k is a great price for Husband! Has potential as a winger but defensively not good enough for the Championship imo! Plus if it means us being able to keep Copps than I will drive him to Boro myself!!

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 30, 2014, 11:03:39 am by mpc123 »
I think it is not a case of just the price, it is what the price does for us when it is offered.

Currently the 500K and what ever else will be well used. Yet we could hang on to him but I think he had his head turned along time ago meaning it really does not give us much bargaining power. This coupled with if its going to get done it needs to be quick so our pre season does not get even worse and we dont't lose the players we want to go for with the cash.

As someone else mentioned we hung onto Bennett and Watson and we effectively ended up with nothing, hopefully Bennett can prove us wrong this year though.

So for me this is good business.

How I think is, if I was a very astute business man who has made hundreds of millions of pounds and I was investing 1 million at least in a company. Now that company has an asset whereby I could get rid of it now for 500K or take a chance on getting more later. TB obviously thinks with his business knowledge that the 500K and what ever else, is good business for that asset.

For him the 500K doesn't even cover his own losses, so if it is not good sense, why would he do it?

Answer is currently it's a good deal.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 30, 2014, 11:07:42 am by wing commander »

You obviously cant remember the real crap we were in then..And if you can then the real question should be..You haven't a Scooby doo....convince me otherwise..lol

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 30, 2014, 11:43:33 am by RobTheRover »
I though it was a song title game. Is the answer "Alphabet Street" by Prince?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 30, 2014, 11:57:19 am by DRNaith »

The season will progress one way or another regardless of your conviction. Convincing you otherwise will make no difference.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 30, 2014, 12:25:57 pm by Lipsy »
We were going down because we didn't have a full squad, but we've signed some players now and Jones is back. We'll be fine.  :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:47:07 pm by Lipsy »

Armthorpe mickler

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 30, 2014, 01:57:46 pm by Armthorpe mickler »
Should be OK.Should be mid table.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 30, 2014, 02:54:43 pm by Nudga »
Curious George hasn't taken me up on my bet yet.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 30, 2014, 03:23:11 pm by Alickismyhero »
I will bet you £300 that we don't go down. Just like Nudga this is a serious bet,  Come on George show us just how confident you are!

Orlandokarla

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 30, 2014, 04:38:50 pm by Orlandokarla »
Curious George hasn't taken me up on my bet yet.

Try sending a PM to one of his other, more active accounts  ;)

curiousgeorge

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 30, 2014, 05:58:41 pm by curiousgeorge »
no i never gamble i have personal reasons for this

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 30, 2014, 06:01:18 pm by les@donr »
It ok to have a realistic expectation that Rovers will finish mid-table. However, post-last season the club sold the fans the dream of having a budget and team that would be promoted. That now is far from the truth. In future the club should be careful what it says to fans.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 30, 2014, 06:03:23 pm by IDM »
I prefer them to do the "talking" on the pitch, where it counts...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012