Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:54:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: wellens/De val  (Read 6519 times)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
wellens/De val
« on July 30, 2014, 10:26:31 am by Canadian Rover »
I know Richie has been a class player for us... But I'd quite like to see mdv given a chance this year.  Maybe use wellens wages for a couple of younger midfield prospects..... Thoughts anyone?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: wellens/De val
« Reply #1 on July 30, 2014, 10:30:10 am by sedwardsdrfc »
He is clearly good but I'm not fussed if he goes and MDV deserves a chance been class is friendlies. If Keegan signs then we will be fine without him 

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 30, 2014, 10:38:07 am by MiKA »
I'd also go for MDV, Wellens has been a class player for us but for me he's been a little too outspoken recently, seems a little obsessed with money and it's time we and he moved on.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 30, 2014, 10:48:39 am by andyst79 »
Wellen's is absolutely different class he's 1 second quicker in his head than most others on the pitch, he absolutely bossed the game against QPR & put Barton in his place. The only thing he's really lacked over the years is goals , There was that screamer against Coventry a few years ago that springs to mind but he always looks to pass instead of shooting that's his only flaw for me. Nice headache to have choosing between him & MDV potentially.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 30, 2014, 10:57:04 am by Copps is Magic »
Wellens is 34 and has chronic injuries. He's over-estimated his own station in the media and it could come back to haunt him.

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 30, 2014, 11:02:45 am by RJHeader »
Wellens was a class above many midfielders last year IMO. Him in L1 would be frightening, and possibly the best in the league. To say he is ''a little obsessed with money'' is ludicrous. Would you quite happily accept an 80% pay cut and not look for work elsewhere?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 30, 2014, 11:04:54 am by IDM »
A fit, motivated Wellens would dominate most midfields in this division.  Feeding through to copps, Forrester etc and we'll have plenty of creativity going forward.  Squad size and 'keepers aside, I think a genuine goal poacher is what we need now.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 30, 2014, 11:05:11 am by Dare to dream! »
I think we should just forget about that Wellens interview. He'd just found out that he wasn't getting a contract to finish off his career at a club he likes with the oppourtunity to go into coaching after on a better wage after being told all summer he will get it and turning down better clubs! He was bound to be pissed off! Cut him a bit of slack. His mistake was taking the interview

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 30, 2014, 11:06:25 am by IDM »
At least he didn't blether on about not getting a birthday cake!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 30, 2014, 11:07:17 am by Filo »
I think we should just forget about that Wellens interview. He'd just found out that he wasn't getting a contract to finish off his career at a club he likes with the oppourtunity to go into coaching after on a better wage after being told all summer he will get it and turning down better clubs! He was bound to be pissed off! Cut him a bit of slack. His mistake was taking the interview

If he was pissed off, he was pissed off with the wrong people, he should be pissed off with the people that sold him the magic beans!

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 30, 2014, 11:10:24 am by DonnyNoel »
I'd lean towards RW if he's fully committed. MDV looks promising and maybe we'll see a central 3 sometimes of those two and Keegan. Good headache to have but I think an on form Wellens would easily be one of the best players in the division.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 30, 2014, 11:13:04 am by Retdon1 »
Let's hope we can sort something out with wellens he would be the best centre mid in the division, give him husbands wages on top of his reduced wages and offer him a player coach role.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 30, 2014, 11:17:13 am by Dare to dream! »
Let's hope we can sort something out with wellens he would be the best centre mid in the division, give him husbands wages on top of his reduced wages and offer him a player coach role.

That's what he's looking for i think. He's not going to get more than 1 year deal anywhere else. He'll be looking for lower wage but long term security, hopefully we can offer him that

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 30, 2014, 11:47:49 am by RobTheRover »

Agreed D2D, but he is still under contract and needs to remain professional at all times.  I was absolutely delighted with the interview with Nathan Tyson yesterday. Compare the outlook of the 2 players. 

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 30, 2014, 06:00:26 pm by RedJ »
I know Richie has been a class player for us... But I'd quite like to see mdv given a chance this year.  Maybe use wellens wages for a couple of younger midfield prospects..... Thoughts anyone?

While I agree, we can't "use his wages". He still has a contract with us.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 30, 2014, 06:23:27 pm by Lesonthewest »

Spot on, he bosses games for us & hardly ever loses possession,  he is still a top top player who would be THE best midfielder in this league, may have spoken out of turn recently but when he produces on the pitch like he can, I don't give a monkey's what he has said.
Wellen's is absolutely different class he's 1 second quicker in his head than most others on the pitch, he absolutely bossed the game against QPR & put Barton in his place. The only thing he's really lacked over the years is goals , There was that screamer against Coventry a few years ago that springs to mind but he always looks to pass instead of shooting that's his only flaw for me. Nice headache to have choosing between him & MDV potentially.

Viking Jack

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 30, 2014, 06:29:35 pm by Viking Jack »
I think a combination of Wellens vision and passing ability could team up quite well with the ludicrous pace we seem to have up front now.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 30, 2014, 06:32:01 pm by graingrover »
I don't understand this release clause .. if triggered surely he becomes a free agent so that the club can get on and replace him .

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 30, 2014, 06:37:04 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I don't understand this release clause .. if triggered surely he becomes a free agent so that the club can get on and replace him .

No. If triggered he becomes signable for another club without paying a fee.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 30, 2014, 07:56:13 pm by Drover »
From what others have stated on here before,I think the confusion might be down to the fact that its not just release clauses involved,the clauses seem to be two way in many cases,and therefore if the player wants to stay the term of his contract after relegation,they have to accept a pay cut,or something along those lines,I suppose It's just these kind of tweeks to contract negotiations that make them seem to drag on when us fans get impatient.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 30, 2014, 09:02:18 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Any reason why Wellens and De Val couldn't play together? Players with intelligence and a touch of class can find a way.

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 30, 2014, 09:09:51 pm by stuey »
Wellens is 34 and has chronic injuries.

Oh aye, and De Val has been injury free and hardly missed a minute over the last year.

Seriously though, if we have too choose between the two, then it's Wellens for me, we cant seriously judge De Val on a couple of pre-season games 12 months apart.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 30, 2014, 09:20:46 pm by Dare to dream! »

Oh aye, and De Val has been injury free and hardly missed a minute over the last year.

Seriously though, if we have too choose between the two, then it's Wellens for me, we cant seriously judge De Val on a couple of pre-season games 12 months apart.

He's only had the one injury which was due to a bad tackle

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 30, 2014, 09:29:38 pm by stuey »

He's only had the one injury which was due to a bad tackle

My point was more aimed at Wellens having 'chronic injuries'. He played 36 games last season.

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 30, 2014, 10:37:13 pm by BigColSutherland »
Wellens' days are numbered. You can't build a team around him, as he'll retire inside 2 years, and an able replacement would be unaffordable. If you want to think medium to long term then it's De Val or A.N.Other.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 31, 2014, 10:04:37 am by graingrover »
I am not convinced the young players improve training with Wellens ..  from my reading of his attitude ,based on  body language on the field of play ,the content of his interviews .. and the occasional chats with him I have had .I have seen little to assume he has a positive influence on young team mates .

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 31, 2014, 10:27:50 am by GazLaz »
Wellens is one of a few footballers I think that loves football, loves playing football and actually thinks about the game. I like hearing him being interviewed. Always insightful.

djoftherovers1

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 31, 2014, 10:40:27 am by djoftherovers1 »
I know he moans about the huge 80% wage drop and so would any of us, but at end of day he signed the contract. ..

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 31, 2014, 10:45:23 am by drfc1951 »
I know he moans about the huge 80% wage drop and so would any of us, but at end of day he signed the contract. ..

I agree there was always a chance we would have been relegated,if he didnt like it he shouldnt have signed it.

djoftherovers1

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 31, 2014, 10:56:50 am by djoftherovers1 »
Maybe it's time these players started to honour the contracts instead of asking for clauses galore.. you sign for 3 years and you stay unless we decide otherwise.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012