Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:54:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Jerry Yates  (Read 21856 times)

vietaff

• Forum Member
Jerry Yates
« on August 02, 2014, 10:27:13 am by vietaff »
Doncaster Lad and his Dad is a Rovers fanatic - only 18/19 and scored in the last 2 games for Rotherham he has played in pre-season.
Great abililty both on the floor and in the air and isnt afraid to mix it....hes definatley one for the future and maybe Rotherham will look to loan him out for the season - which is why i have mentioned him, pretty sure if he has a decent game today it will do DRFC no harm in looking to see if he fancies a stint at the Keepmoat.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Jerry Yates
« Reply #1 on August 02, 2014, 11:24:46 am by since-1969 »
Dingles may be !

PACMAN

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 02, 2014, 11:54:28 am by PACMAN »
Doncaster Lad and his Dad is a Rovers fanatic - only 18/19 and scored in the last 2 games for Rotherham he has played in pre-season.
Great abililty both on the floor and in the air and isnt afraid to mix it....hes definatley one for the future and maybe Rotherham will look to loan him out for the season - which is why i have mentioned him, pretty sure if he has a decent game today it will do DRFC no harm in looking to see if he fancies a stint at the Keepmoat.
Jerry is 17, I was his coach for 5 seasons before I took him down to the Rovers at age 12. Best young player I have ever seen, naturally gifted with both feet, a good header of the ball and brave in front of goal. He was at the Rovers for a couple of seasons and I know Paul Wilson thought very, very highly of him but a disagreement over his best position led to his Father and Grandfather deciding to take him elsewhere.
I'm happy to stick my neck out and say this lad will go on to play for England and we let him walk away....................gutted!!!!!!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 02, 2014, 11:56:42 am by GazLaz »
Just can't let players like this slip away. Could cost us millions potentially.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 02, 2014, 11:59:12 am by Filo »
Jerry is 17, I was his coach for 5 seasons before I took him down to the Rovers at age 12. Best young player I have ever seen, naturally gifted with both feet, a good header of the ball and brave in front of goal. He was at the Rovers for a couple of seasons and I know Paul Wilson thought very, very highly of him but a disagreement over his best position led to his Father and Grandfather deciding to take him elsewhere.
I'm happy to stick my neck out and say this lad will go on to play for England and we let him walk away....................gutted!!!!!!

This is why we need some one to lay on the charm in the youth set up, humour the parents a little and give them the impression they are calling the shots until we get them signed up

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 02, 2014, 12:00:33 pm by GazLaz »
How far do we spread the net regarding the scouting of kids?

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 02, 2014, 12:08:46 pm by Boomstick »
Typical Rovers, never changes.  :rolleyes: Kevin Keegan anyone?

Pathetic!!!!  :suicide:

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 02, 2014, 12:09:15 pm by eastender »

Just out interest which position does he play in now....the one where Father knows best or the one which the Rovers coach's thought he should play.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 02, 2014, 12:17:32 pm by graingrover »
great ability on the FLOOR?

PACMAN

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 02, 2014, 12:20:35 pm by PACMAN »

Just out interest which position does he play in now....the one where Father knows best or the one which the Rovers coach's thought he should play.
His best position is in the hole or the No 10 role, whichever you wish to call it. He sees things other players don't and is not afraid to play the killer pass. I told Paul Wilson that but for some reason Rovers insisted on playing him in Central Midfield. Could be the next Rooney if he keeps his head on and the OP is correct, his father is a Rovers nut, as is Jerry to be fair!!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 02, 2014, 12:21:40 pm by graingrover »
so he was a Rovers ?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 02, 2014, 12:22:44 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Pacman, do you know Paul Wilson well? If so, what's your thoughts on him as a coach?

PACMAN

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 02, 2014, 12:32:49 pm by PACMAN »
He is a top bloke as well as a very good coach. He and Paul Stanicliffe make a very good team. I wouldn't lay the blame at either of their doors for Jerry leaving, that was solely down to the age group coaches. They were blinkered in my opinion and it was all about results rather than player development. This meant they played him in centre mid to carry the team basically, because the other players simply weren't good enough.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 02, 2014, 12:39:09 pm by Filo »
He is a top bloke as well as a very good coach. He and Paul Stanicliffe make a very good team. I wouldn't lay the blame at either of their doors for Jerry leaving, that was solely down to the age group coaches. They were blinkered in my opinion and it was all about results rather than player development. This meant they played him in centre mid to carry the team basically, because the other players simply weren't good enough.

Again this boils down to poor organisation from top to bottom in the academy, communication should involve the parents, age group coaches and academy boss's to come to a general consensus in a youngsters development pathway, we just can't afford to let talent slip the net

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 02, 2014, 12:42:52 pm by graingrover »
Are we not about to be re rated by EUFA for our academy ?

PACMAN

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 02, 2014, 12:55:13 pm by PACMAN »

Again this boils down to poor organisation from top to bottom in the academy, communication should involve the parents, age group coaches and academy boss's to come to a general consensus in a youngsters development pathway, we just can't afford to let talent slip the net
I agree Filo, that certainly was the problem at that time. The Rovers seemed content for a while to put anyone in place coaching wise as long as they held the UEFA "B" licence. That doesn't automatically mean they are a good coach or can deal with/motivate players. I'm afraid the two in charge of that age group were just concerned with getting results so that they looked good rather than looking to develop and improve players.
I sincerely hope lessons have been learnt by the youth set up down there but I'm not holding my breath!!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 02, 2014, 01:19:38 pm by GazLaz »
The mentality of arguing about what position is best for a 12 year old is one of the reason at this country produces shit players.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 02, 2014, 01:35:25 pm by roversam »
Pacman you dont mind me asking but is the grandad called Norman by any chance.

PACMAN

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 02, 2014, 01:36:25 pm by PACMAN »
I'm afraid Gaz that it became important to his father and grandfather (who incidently is an ex pro) because Jerry's game was suffering being played there. They tried the subtle approach but the two numpties wouldn't listen because the team would lose if he didn't play there.
Paul Wilson actually took Jerry to Barcelona for a tournament with the age group above and he was the player of the tournament. Sadly, if the two Paul's are guilty of anything it is concentrating on the upper ages, which I suppose is fair enough as these are the players they are ultimately judged on if they become first team squad members.
In this case though we have missed out on a gem because this lad will become a top, top player if handled correctly!!!

PACMAN

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 02, 2014, 01:37:17 pm by PACMAN »
Pacman you dont mind me asking but is the grandad called Norman by any chance.
Yes he is Sam, an ex pro and a really nice bloke!!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 02, 2014, 01:43:55 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I thought Stancliffes job was to manage the U18s and Wilson managed the whole lot?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 02, 2014, 01:48:06 pm by GazLaz »
Why did they choose Rotherham out of interest? I know they have a decent set up but they wouldn't be my first choice if I had produced a good one.

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 02, 2014, 01:50:24 pm by RJHeader »
How far do we spread the net regarding the scouting of kids?

Its a difficult one. You want to scout players at a young age in DN postcode really. Problem you get is, say you scout players in Leeds, Sheffield. They tend to support their hometown clubs, so when weve coached them from 7 year old all the way through. They can have their head turned by the team they support if theyre any good!

I remember a story about a young lad who played for Rotherham but was a Sheff U fan. He played from 7 year old till he was 16 at Rotherham. Then Sheff U wanted him. Whoever at the top of Sheff U at the time said to Rotherham, if they required compensation then they would never loan a player to them again! At the time Sheff U were in Prem and Rotherham L2 i think. Just shows what youre competing with

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 02, 2014, 01:58:24 pm by DonnyOsmond »
We're expected to go to EPPP level 2 soon so we should be able to control the DN post code which includes Scunthorpe and Grimsby, we'll also be ahead of Rotherham too.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 02, 2014, 02:14:17 pm by 1879Rovers »
Typical Rovers, never changes.  :rolleyes: Kevin Keegan anyone?

Pathetic!!!!  :suicide:

A bit old now!

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 02, 2014, 02:14:34 pm by 1879Rovers »
 ;)

Are you his dad?! ;)

Martyn1968

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 02, 2014, 02:16:06 pm by Martyn1968 »
Funny I've just been asking about Jerry. He's my mates cousin Carls lad.

PACMAN

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 02, 2014, 02:16:17 pm by PACMAN »
Gaz, they went to Rotherham purely because of transport, his father doesn't drive, but in fairness they have a good set up and an even better scouting system. I used to see the Rotherham scouts at games 3-5 times a season, likewise Wednesday and Leeds. In my 5 seasons coaching Jerry I only saw a Rovers scout once and that was about a month after I took him down to the Rovers. He expressed an interest in meeting Jerry's parents and needless to say he left with a flea in his ear for being such an idiot. Just another example of the lack of communication within the set up at the time!!!
Everyone asked about him but he stayed with me until it got to the point when I knew he needed to play with and against better players and be coached by supposedly better coaches, clearly he finally got that at Rotherham.  :headbang:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 02, 2014, 02:18:55 pm by Filo »
Gaz, they went to Rotherham purely because of transport, his father doesn't drive, but in fairness they have a good set up and an even better scouting system. I used to see the Rotherham scouts at games 3-5 times a season, likewise Wednesday and Leeds. In my 5 seasons coaching Jerry I only saw a Rovers scout once and that was about a month after I took him down to the Rovers. He expressed an interest in meeting Jerry's parents and needless to say he left with a flea in his ear for being such an idiot. Just another example of the lack of communication within the set up at the time!!!
Everyone asked about him but he stayed with me until it got to the point when I knew he needed to play with and against better players and be coached by supposedly better coaches, clearly he finally got that at Rotherham.  :headbang:

Have you considered going for a scouting job that Rovers are advertising?

PACMAN

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 02, 2014, 02:24:22 pm by PACMAN »

Have you considered going for a scouting job that Rovers are advertising?
I have been a Rovers fan since 1974 Filo and love the club but I'm afraid unless I was convinced that things have changed for the better down there within the youth set up then the answer would be NO!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012