Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:57:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: McCullough and Wabara  (Read 4177 times)

rtid88

• Forum Member
Re: McCullough and Wabara
« Reply #30 on August 20, 2014, 12:17:53 pm by rtid88 »
I don't know what game you were watching BST but I don't think I saw Wabara do anything right all game.

He doesn't ever seem to be able to follow the flight of the ball, the amount of times last night he was almost caught out by PNE booting the ball up field and him losing sight of the ball and it was only McCullough being in the right place or Steer coming out that saved him. He seems to struggle to head the ball past his nose, that shot of his in the 2nd half is one of the worst I think I have ever seen and he seems to struggle to pass a ball precisely further than a few yards. Just my opinion of course!

Genuinely hope there is a bit of spare money in the bank to be able to get a CB on loan if Jonesy is injured

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 20, 2014, 12:35:32 pm by RJHeader »
Quinn will get put back in there saves money and time looking for another CB. We need to get rid of Wellens so we can offer PK a longer contract

Wellens is the one player we need to keep. He is what is missing at CM. Im begging nobody comes in for him before transfer deadline

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on August 20, 2014, 12:40:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
RTID.

I'd hate to have seen your opinion of him if he'd actually played badly.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on August 20, 2014, 01:41:01 pm by DRNaith »
I don't know what game you were watching BST but I don't think I saw Wabara do anything right all game.

He doesn't ever seem to be able to follow the flight of the ball, the amount of times last night he was almost caught out by PNE booting the ball up field and him losing sight of the ball and it was only McCullough being in the right place or Steer coming out that saved him. He seems to struggle to head the ball past his nose, that shot of his in the 2nd half is one of the worst I think I have ever seen and he seems to struggle to pass a ball precisely further than a few yards. Just my opinion of course!

Genuinely hope there is a bit of spare money in the bank to be able to get a CB on loan if Jonesy is injured

Likewise, you must see the game differently from me.

Yes Wabara made some mistakes, it's very rare for a player not to, but he played well in my opinion, especially as a CB. He seemed to communicate well with the players around him and was prepared to try something if there wasn't an obvious option for distribution.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 20, 2014, 01:45:40 pm by IDM »
I thought also that Wabara played quite well at CB.  Would be more of a worry facing taller strikers.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 20, 2014, 01:53:00 pm by GazLaz »
I thought also that Wabara played quite well at CB.  Would be more of a worry facing taller strikers.

You don't don't have to be tall to defend well against tall players in the same way you don't have to be fast to defend against fast players. You just have to be a good defender.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 20, 2014, 02:00:11 pm by IDM »
To a degree yes - in the second half Preston had a header from a cross/corner.  The attacker was always going to beat McCullough in the air, but the way McCullough positioned his body made it difficult for the forward to get a strong header in, and Steer caught it easily.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 20, 2014, 06:03:30 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Still clearly being tall is a big advantage. It's what Jones has.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 20, 2014, 07:18:10 pm by Wellred »

I think you must have been getting him mixed up with Furman

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 20, 2014, 08:50:15 pm by WarwickRover »
All the back four played very well after Jones went off. To say that some of them are new to the club and not played often together. I think you can't ask for more than the performance they gave. Do I think that this formation will see us thro? No. There is a risk that they could get 'bullied' by a more physical forwards than they played last night. Equally IMO the goalkeeper will become a target for physical challenges going forward, it is his weakness from what I've seen. Hope I'm wrong

Biarge Bob

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 20, 2014, 09:15:01 pm by Biarge Bob »
I thought McCullough played much better last night playing as the left sided CB rather than the right sided CB as he did on Saturday, when Jones was there. Wabara, for me, had a steady game especially carrying the ball from defence, giving us a different option. Is he a long term option there? I doubt it.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 20, 2014, 09:21:22 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think a few would like to think so Bob.

Can anyone recall Rovers players who have moved from other positions to Centre half and become excellent at it?

My all time favourite was Alan Warboys. Made it look easy. 

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on August 20, 2014, 09:30:51 pm by Filo »

Can anyone recall Rovers players who have moved from other positions to Centre half and become excellent at it?

Douggie made the transition as well

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on August 21, 2014, 11:53:06 am by ravenrover »
If I had been Grayson, as soon as Jones went off I would have put Davies straight on he would have torn our back line to shreds even at his age. We need to hope McCombe is fit for Saturday if it is bad news for Jones.
I know people are saying he should never play again for DRFC but Quinn, if fit, should be in the starting 11 on Saturday, he seemed to be making some reconciliatory noises on twitter on Tuesday. Much as I like McCullough he is just not quite tall enough and like a lot of people on here I think he should be the one just in front of the back 4. JMHO

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on August 21, 2014, 12:01:17 pm by 5minstogo »

We were talking about this at the match.  Recent ones were Locky, JOC and Friend. All moving from full back to centre half.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on August 21, 2014, 12:16:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
David Jones moving to the centre of a back 5 to counteract Chris Malkin in the Leyland DAF semi final at Prenton Park.

Mind, we lost 2-0 so that didn't work...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012