Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:06:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: For the Old Gits (over 60) on here  (Read 5213 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: For the Old Gits (over 60) on here
« Reply #30 on August 29, 2014, 07:41:43 pm by Bentley Bullet »
The headline to this thread is fascinating me. 'For the Old Gits (over 60) on here' leaves me intrigued as to finding out who they all are.

So far I've got AL4475 and Harrogate Rover, so that leaves 58 'old gits' still unaccounted for.

Who else belongs to the list?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bally1950

« Reply #31 on August 29, 2014, 07:54:31 pm by bally1950 »
Alonzo.
Even better than Quadraphenia.  Good times eh. Hair is a different shade of black theses days but still grumpy.
Now then that scrumpy.. Do you remember watching the lads swimming in the harbour before the game with a great eel chasing them. And after the game the armada of deck chairs floating out to see. I ended up in the Police Force. Happy Days. had that stern look for many years even now. I go to Pete Lakins quite often he had it rough lately (also joined the Police - stop laughing)...Ken Smith comes regularly and we have a laugh, I will take lap top next week to show him. John Simpson (Wolves and Donny died sadly in 80's whilst I was at Armthorpe. Mick Raynor aka WBA what a laugh we all had :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on August 29, 2014, 08:49:49 pm by idler »
Torquay seafront, August, 1969, before first game of the 69/70 season at Plainmoor. From left to right, Billy Wright, Pete Camp. Mick Ball, Geoff King and Tom Beardsley. Tim Dixon took the picture. There was a mass Rovers following to Devon, for a fantastic summer weekend. Recall Brian turner missed the game, as he was arrested for stealing bananas from a grocery store before the game. Also recall we got well oiled on scrumpy!
Four of us went by car to that game.
Willie Watson came out before the game looking for John Darton.
He gave me two main stand tickets to pass on if I saw him.
I didn't see him so let two locals have em cheap.
I saw John later and he told me that him and the wife were getting ready to come down when his wife decided to call it a draw.
I just wish that the Rovers had managed the same.
Not seen Billy since 1972, mind living in Bradford doesn't help. Must be even longer since I saw Peter Camp.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 29, 2014, 09:00:59 pm by tommy toes »
I was there  in 69.
Was talking to Mick Ball recently.He's doing OK. Has a very young wife and a second family.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 29, 2014, 09:07:23 pm by Donnywolf »
I was at Torquay in '66. Might be wrong as I am pretty useless at remembering names but I think the bottom middle is Steve Pepper and top middle Dave Jennings, both Danum pupils. The lad on the far right, bottom picture is definitely George.

Went to Danum GS with Steve Pepper and Dave Jennings and you are 100% CORRECT

I left in 66/67 and have not see=n either of them from that day till this . Its a pity cos I really liked Steve and Dave with 2 fingers up is exactly how I remember him - with attitude !

bally1950

« Reply #35 on August 29, 2014, 09:33:18 pm by bally1950 »
Tommy.

Just for the record, that thing you saw me with was not my wife, my wife died of C in 2002, that creature came as a baby sitter with ideas of her own, yes I do have a daughter to her, never married her etc, pity the poor lad who did marry her she went behind his back whilst he was in Afghan after three months marriage. But Hey....................Who cares. My little crackpot and me will be at the game tomorrow, my lad Liam now 21 has stopped going since he was 15. traitor.
 :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Just for the record I think I counted 23 deck chairs floating out to see, sure there were more but Police came. so we go

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 30, 2014, 12:15:27 am by BobG »
Wouldn't want to meet 'em on a dark night would you?! :):)

BobG

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 30, 2014, 12:39:53 am by ScillyRover »
I was at Torquay in '66. Might be wrong as I am pretty useless at remembering names but I think the bottom middle is Steve Pepper and top middle Dave Jennings, both Danum pupils. The lad on the far right, bottom picture is definitely George.

Went to Danum GS with Steve Pepper and Dave Jennings and you are 100% CORRECT

I left in 66/67 and have not seen either of them from that day till this . Its a pity cos I really liked Steve and Dave with 2 fingers up is exactly how I remember him - with attitude !
You will quite likely know me too then DW as I left Danum in 66/7.
Dave Jennings now lives in Hatfield. Good footballer if I remember correctly. Haven't seen Steve Pepper since I left school either.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:45:07 am by ScillyRover »

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on August 30, 2014, 12:45:43 am by newyankee »
Hey Bob  G

Knowing Bally as I do you wouldn't want to meet him on a bright day let alone a dark night. 

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on August 30, 2014, 06:27:43 am by Donnywolf »
Just what I thought - look at that Photo !!!!

In fact though a big Pussycat *

* Hi MB - Remember Port Vale away - 67 or 68 !

bally1950

« Reply #40 on August 30, 2014, 07:44:23 am by bally1950 »
Wolf.

Certainly do, think that was the day we had to sit in front seat of Leon bus and tell driver how to get to Burslem (My family from Stoke so I knew) Burslem Market for oat cakes  lovely, can still get them at Tesco... Was that the game we lost 4 -2 and we just kept shouting to Donny to give em a chance but not four... :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 30, 2014, 08:43:12 am by RoversDave »
4-2 7/10/67.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on August 30, 2014, 09:47:39 am by idler »
Wasn't it a Yorkshire Traction bus?
I remember going and the driver wasn't a regular and lads that
had been before telling him the way as we set off a bit late.
When we got there the inspector or whatever he was asked him how he got there in such a short time. He then bollocked him for not going the way that he'd been told.
He DID GET A GOOD COLLECTION THOUGH. :)
In those days you could roll up at the office ask about availability and once there was enough they would put another coach on.
I remember when we played Halifax away on a Tuesday night and they put loads of extra coaches on. We drew 0 0 but still went up as champions.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on August 30, 2014, 09:51:14 am by The Red Baron »
The headline to this thread is fascinating me. 'For the Old Gits (over 60) on here' leaves me intrigued as to finding out who they all are.

So far I've got AL4475 and Harrogate Rover, so that leaves 58 'old gits' still unaccounted for.

Who else belongs to the list?

Not me- I'm only 53!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 30, 2014, 09:53:48 am by Filo »
Not me either, I'm only 51

bally1950

« Reply #45 on August 30, 2014, 10:06:41 am by bally1950 »
idler.  You could be right about the bus, but the rest was smack on. Giving such clues you must be very well known to me I have a feeling you are a quite tall lad with a brother also tall who I saw shopping in Scunny last week. I may be wrong. after this week I shall be taking up membership with VSC. I have read for a long time the forum, some of it personal and not friendly but in the main most seem to know each other. I am accused of living in the past too much but I feel comfort there. Hey Ho. Happy Days   :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on August 30, 2014, 10:55:56 am by Donnywolf »
idler.  You could be right about the bus, but the rest was smack on. Giving such clues you must be very well known to me I have a feeling you are a quite tall lad with a brother also tall who I saw shopping in Scunny last week. I may be wrong. after this week I shall be taking up membership with VSC. I have read for a long time the forum, some of it personal and not friendly but in the main most seem to know each other. I am accused of living in the past too much but I feel comfort there. Hey Ho. Happy Days   :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Ha Ha

This looks like a real crossed line !

I (DW/JT) fit your description to a tee and I have an estranged (and strange) brother (pt) who lives in Scunny so you probably have the right man but think it is Idler

I threw in the Port Vale reference earlier thinking you would home in on one of your favourite stories which involved my bravery when leaving Port Vale ground with the Port Vale fans. It was self preservation honest !

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on August 30, 2014, 11:15:27 am by idler »
I'm sure that you have got me mixed up with Wolfie.
We probably do know each other, even if only by sight.
I think that most forum members would use more respect if they were talking face to face rather than forum, twitter or Facebook.
We should all want the same end result for our team and there is nothing wrong with friendly disagreement.
That's why living in the past seems a lot better sometimes is attractive to me as well.
I'll soon be leaving for my drive across and hopefully smiling all the way back tonight. :scarf: :scarf:

bally1950

« Reply #48 on August 30, 2014, 07:10:46 pm by bally1950 »
Right wolf that is JT... probably still got that beard, I remember the last time we were talking a few years ago you did tell me you lived away. Yes the brother point sorted it. On today's game I wish I was in the past. Not good but Hey.
 :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 01, 2014, 09:02:53 am by Donnywolf »
Correct MB - and Beard still there (its my best feature some say)

PS - Bob Chappell resides in West Stand and saw him regularly last Season always coming in / out of Bog at HT but no sightings this Season but with the performances I have been looking down at the floor most of the time !

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 01, 2014, 09:49:04 am by drfc1951 »
Alonzo.
Even better than Quadraphenia.  Good times eh. Hair is a different shade of black theses days but still grumpy.
Now then that scrumpy.. Do you remember watching the lads swimming in the harbour before the game with a great eel chasing them. And after the game the armada of deck chairs floating out to see. I ended up in the Police Force. Happy Days. had that stern look for many years even now. I go to Pete Lakins quite often he had it rough lately (also joined the Police - stop laughing)...Ken Smith comes regularly and we have a laugh, I will take lap top next week to show him. John Simpson (Wolves and Donny died sadly in 80's whilst I was at Armthorpe. Mick Raynor aka WBA what a laugh we all had :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Was Mick Raynor from Rosso,if so i used to know him.

bally1950

« Reply #51 on September 01, 2014, 05:27:10 pm by bally1950 »
drfc1951
yep you have got Mick, another Rosso apprentice was Graham Andrew, he went to Mablethorpe as we all did with me and a group of Dunscroft lads. Never seen either of them since we got made redundant straight after we came out of our time as apprentices
 :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012