Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:16:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Positive stuff from Wellens  (Read 7305 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Boomstick

• Forum Member
Re: Positive stuff from Wellens
« Reply #1 on September 19, 2014, 10:19:55 am by Boomstick »
In other words, he will retire a league 1 player

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 19, 2014, 10:24:09 am by bobjimwilly »
In other words, he will retire a league 1 player

that's the spirit!  :scarf:

:suicide:

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 19, 2014, 11:15:17 am by BRMC_rover »
Love how this article finishes with a few of our forumers favourite football terms...

“If we can keep everyone fit, confident and playing well, there’s no doubt we can get in and around.”

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 19, 2014, 08:55:40 pm by phil o sophical »
Personally I'd like to see him being a bit more positive in front of goal, like maybe shooting every now and again

neil grainger

« Reply #5 on September 19, 2014, 09:38:45 pm by neil grainger »
An interesting interview which could be summarised as follows:

1. Wellens has an inflated opinion of his ability and believed he would get attractive offers from Championship clubs when we were relegated;

2. Despite this, no Championship club of any note was remotely interested in taking him, even on a free;

3. Blackpool were an exception, but they were a basket-case so Wellens realised that would be a bad move;

4. Faced with the reality that no Championship club wanted him, despite the fact that he believes he is better than many young players which Championship clubs were prepared to sign, Wellens took his bat home and lounged about on his sofa, watching telly and getting in his wife's way;

5. Having made derogatory statements about the club which was paying his wages for doing nothing, he realised Rovers were the only show in town so the Great Richie Wellens had to accept he'd have to slum it and actually play for Donny Rovers in League One. Even though none of us are worthy of his presence. We can only be humbly grateful that the Great Richie Wellens is prepared to stoop to our level.

Now maybe he can actually get his head out of his arse and start contributing, which he certainly hasn't so far.

Who was it who said: "Ringo - the best drummer in the world?! Don't make me laugh...he's not even the best drummer in the Beatles"

"Wellens - the best midfield player in League 1?! Don't make me laugh....he's not even the best midfield player in the Rovers"

Wake up Wellens, get a reality check, and start contributing to the team because we've got a battle ahead.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 19, 2014, 10:07:54 pm by GazLaz »
Thats probably the worst post I've read this year. You obviously didn't go to any games last season.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 19, 2014, 10:13:47 pm by silent majority »
Well done Neil, an honest appraisal of the situation.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 19, 2014, 10:19:37 pm by bpoolrover »
While I agree with a lot you said Neil which midfielder is better than him at rovers

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 19, 2014, 10:22:15 pm by pib »
Don't agree with every point Neil makes, but I do agree that there is a sense of Wellens thinking he's almost bigger than the club in some ways.

neil grainger

« Reply #10 on September 19, 2014, 10:32:39 pm by neil grainger »
I'm sorry to disappoint you Gazlaz and as a long-standing season-ticket holder I can assure you I went to plenty of games last season, and every season before for the last 45 years.

I'm not impressed with Wellens' attitude over the last few weeks and I think he has an inflated view of his own ability.
I thought he huffed and puffed on Tuesday night and he was certainly not the shining light in our midfield that he should be. I'd point to Coppinger as a Rovers player I admire and respect way above Wellens.

Too often for me Wellens chooses the 'theatrical' touch or pass, instead of finding his man with a simple and incisive ball, and he is much too ready to blame his team-mates when one of his mis-placed passes goes adrift.

I find him a very frustrating player to watch. I know this opinion flies in the face of the majority, but as a dedicated Rovers fan I defend my right to that opinion.

I would never voice a negative view on any Rovers player during a match; booing or loudly abusing your team is something I despise.
But I believe this forum is a place to sound off, and that's what I'm doing regarding my frustration and disappointment about Wellens.

And if my post is the worst you've read on here this year Gazlaz, I can only say you've missed a lot of absolute s**t.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 19, 2014, 10:35:20 pm by BigH »
Sorry but I'm gonna stick up for Ritchie here. I have to admit that this is a rose tinted view because in 40 years of watching Rovers RW is my favouritist ever rovers player. The bestest ever.

What I would say is that, right now - and I know this - is that he needs an arm around him. The ego's taken a bit of a hit and the back's not what it was but with a bit of love and attention Ritch will be the best player in L1 by a country mile. Even at 35. Promise. Come on people we all know we've got a gem.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 19, 2014, 10:51:49 pm by GazLaz »
Your opinion on him as a player Neil is wrong. Admittedly he's not up to speed yet, which is understandable with his lack of preparation, but last season he was our stand out player by a furlong.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 19, 2014, 10:53:35 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
He needs the same as anyone does, "an arm around him" and the reality check of fighting for his place every training session and every minute he's on the pitch. Pedestals are for statues...

neil grainger

« Reply #14 on September 19, 2014, 11:17:01 pm by neil grainger »
My opinion isn't wrong Gazlaz, it's just different to yours.
I respect your opinion and I would ask that you respect mine, and my right to express it. Not that I'm particularly bothered whether you do or not.

Don't misunderstand me: Wellens is a very skilful footballer and he is capable of great vision and moments of brilliance. But he is frustratingly inconsistent and I believe there are questions over his application and attitude.

Obviously, if he didn't have those flaws then he has enough skill to have made it at the very highest level.
But he hasn't. And I sometimes get the feeling that Wellens believes he should have been a Premiership player and that he's playing beneath himself.
He started as a junior at Man Utd but he didn't make it, and I wonder if he's spent his career thinking he should have been playing at a higher level?

Anyway, that's all conjecture.

I just think he has shown himself to be a bit of a "Billy Big b*llocks" over the summer and he needs to knuckle down and get stuck into fighting the cause, because we need everyone pulling in the same direction.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 19, 2014, 11:30:16 pm by dickos1 »
Of all the time wellens has been here I cannot understand how you can suggest he is inconsistent. He's far and away the most consistent performer I've seen in a rovers shirt.
He's played 2 or 3 games this year and he's behind the rest of the players and therefore his performances aren't where they usually are. But that can only be accepted.
People can be upset at what he said bit surely his quality shouldn't be questioned

neil grainger

« Reply #16 on September 19, 2014, 11:47:42 pm by neil grainger »
OK, 'inconsistent' is probably unfair and I stand corrected.

But during the course of a game I find him very frustrating because for every 'killer' pass he delivers, he makes several others which concede possession in key areas and put us on the back foot. At which point he invariably looks around for someone to blame.

And why does he never shoot?!

I'm sorry, I agree he's got a lot of ability but when you analyse his positive contribution to scoring or creating goals I think he's over-rated.

Not least by himself.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 20, 2014, 12:38:21 am by River Don »
Your opinion on him as a player Neil is wrong. Admittedly he's not up to speed yet, which is understandable with his lack of preparation, but last season he was our stand out player by a furlong.

Last season Gaz. How do you think de Val is looking?

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 20, 2014, 12:48:02 am by Dare to dream! »
OK, 'inconsistent' is probably unfair and I stand corrected.

But during the course of a game I find him very frustrating because for every 'killer' pass he delivers, he makes several others which concede possession in key areas and put us on the back foot. At which point he invariably looks around for someone to blame.

And why does he never shoot?!

I'm sorry, I agree he's got a lot of ability but when you analyse his positive contribution to scoring or creating goals I think he's over-rated.

Not least by himself.

He will make 2/3 inaccurate passes before he finally gets the killer pass because he is always trying them as you say. I'm happy to accept that because at least he is taking the risk to try and find the killer pass! No one else seems capable.

I agree on the shooting, so many times last season he had the chance to shoot and he passed instead.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 20, 2014, 12:51:56 am by Filo »
An interesting interview which could be summarised as follows:

1. Wellens has an inflated opinion of his ability and believed he would get attractive offers from Championship clubs when we were relegated;

2. Despite this, no Championship club of any note was remotely interested in taking him, even on a free;

3. Blackpool were an exception, but they were a basket-case so Wellens realised that would be a bad move;

4. Faced with the reality that no Championship club wanted him, despite the fact that he believes he is better than many young players which Championship clubs were prepared to sign, Wellens took his bat home and lounged about on his sofa, watching telly and getting in his wife's way;

5. Having made derogatory statements about the club which was paying his wages for doing nothing, he realised Rovers were the only show in town so the Great Richie Wellens had to accept he'd have to slum it and actually play for Donny Rovers in League One. Even though none of us are worthy of his presence. We can only be humbly grateful that the Great Richie Wellens is prepared to stoop to our level.

Now maybe he can actually get his head out of his arse and start contributing, which he certainly hasn't so far.

Who was it who said: "Ringo - the best drummer in the world?! Don't make me laugh...he's not even the best drummer in the Beatles"

"Wellens - the best midfield player in League 1?! Don't make me laugh....he's not even the best midfield player in the Rovers"

Wake up Wellens, get a reality check, and start contributing to the team because we've got a battle ahead.

I agree with all of that

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 20, 2014, 01:35:45 am by Canadian Rover »
5 goals in over 170 games.

Not great eh?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 20, 2014, 06:54:04 am by hoolahoop »

Not great eh?

Says it all really , I wonder what his stats are for assists though.
I also agree with Neil Grainger's post.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 20, 2014, 07:11:38 am by GazLaz »

Not great eh?

Says it all?? It doesn't say anything. Truly amazes me what people see when the watch a football match.

RD, as for de Val, he looks to have something. Good on the ball as you would expect, likes to try and pass it forward and not scared to get stuck in. It's hard to really judge someone on such few games but I'd definitely like to see more of him. I have a bit of a doubt about him when we are not in possession though, I think sometimes the game seems a bit quick for him and passes him by a little bit. That's something he will get uses to the more he plays in this country. Like I say it's hard to tell with what we have seen of him but I think his mobility has improved a bit this year, last season he seemed to be running in quicksand, he seems a bit more lively now. Definite work in progress. 

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 20, 2014, 07:37:28 am by hoolahoop »

Not great eh?

Says it all?? It doesn't say anything. Truly amazes me what people see when the watch a football match.

RD, as for de Val, he looks to have something. Good on the ball as you would expect, likes to try and pass it forward and not scared to get stuck in. It's hard to really judge someone on such few games but I'd definitely like to see more of him. I have a bit of a doubt about him when we are not in possession though, I think sometimes the game seems a bit quick for him and passes him by a little bit. That's something he will get uses to the more he plays in this country. Like I say it's hard to tell with what we have seen of him but I think his mobility has improved a bit this year, last season he seemed to be running in quicksand, he seems a bit more lively now. Definite work in progress. 

It does say it all , the positions that Wellens carves out for himself should make him far more prolific in the teams he has played in and the players that have played with him.
He has ability, creates space but where his vision where it really matters in front of goal ?
Far too often Richie makes the wrong choice and that is what I see Gaz. He's frightened of looking stupid....great players DON'T have that fear ; if they miss they roll their sleeves up and deign to have another go and another until they score. That behaviour is called leading by example.......yes he can make the odd wonderful pass, yes he has a powerful shot, yes he has pedigree, yes he was trained in one of the best academies at that time, yes he played with some of the best English players of that or indeed any generation but 5 in 170 at this level is poor even for a midfield player.
I stand by my original comments. BTW I love watching him play when he is positive and full of running but when the blaming, negative and weak Wellens is playing it pisses me off !
What signal does this send to young(er) players striving to make their mark on the game ?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 20, 2014, 08:09:27 am by Lesonthewest »
Hi all from sunny Zante, good debate this, I agree with Neil in regard to how highly RC regards himself & his attitude off the pitch, but in my opinion as a player he has to be in the top 5 best midfielders we have ever had, & before he was injured last season he was easily our best player. Obviously wasn't at Tuesday's game so hopefully he still playing catch up, I am confident when he is up to speed he will be one of the best midfielders in this league, & for that I can put up with not being keen on him as a person.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 20, 2014, 08:11:55 am by bpoolrover »
Some very harsh criticism of wellens on this thread imo,he has been outstanding for us yes he spat his dummy out but on the pitch he had always given 100 percent and creates far more than anyone else,the let down for him is goals which is poor but the same is said for copps as a attacking player his goals ratio is awful

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 20, 2014, 08:14:03 am by Wellred »
I agree too Neil/Hoola/Filo

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 20, 2014, 08:19:22 am by Filo »
Some very harsh criticism of wellens on this thread imo,he has been outstanding for us yes he spat his dummy out but on the pitch he had always given 100 percent and creates far more than anyone else,the let down for him is goals which is poor but the same is said for copps as a attacking player his goals ratio is awful

I'd question the always given 100%, especially after the game last season, Birmingham I think it was when he just stepped aside to let the opposition player run past and score, never even looked to dangle a leg out, the sign of a player that didn't give a shit about the predicament we were getting into. He along with another player thought he was too good to be in League one with us, one is reluctantly still here, the other is on the dole!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on September 20, 2014, 08:20:06 am by Filo »
I agree too Neil/Hoola/Filo

Is this a typo Lol!

:) :) :)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 20, 2014, 09:05:02 am by dickos1 »
I think what happened in the games from Leeds onwards when he was injured says everything about the importance of him and how good a player he is

TinyPortal © 2005-2012