Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:28:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Yes we can !  (Read 3421 times)

graingrover

• VSC Member
Yes we can !
« on October 31, 2014, 05:23:05 pm by graingrover »
Yes we can !

Can we make Club Doncaster a reality ?

Since the Club Doncaster idea was launched Rovers and Dons have got together and though we still have a way to go before we can say we are 'blood brothers' there are positive  signs that we can be stronger together . Shared marketing  and administration resourcing will certainly bring bottom line improvements to the financial accounts .

There are signs that we are beginning to offer Rovers and Dons fans incentives  to combine the two sporting experiences as members of club Doncaster .

What I would hope is that we look across the gender divide and see how we can help the Belles more by integrating them into Club Doncaster .   

The Belles were supported by more than 10,000 across the country when they were demoted in favour of Man City Ladies . Lots of Doncastrians , much like when Rovers were raped by Richardson ,were indignant and signed the petition .

Since then Belles have been saved by BPP University  and in particular by their Doncastrian Vice Chancellor Carl Lygo who together  sponsor the basic financial outgoings of the club . The Players remain amateur in status, though not in performance, and in the season that has just closed failed by only two points to achieve promotion back to the Premier League behind Sunderland .

When you look at the basic underlying sporting values and ethics of Doncaster Belles ; they are an outfit of amateurs and volunteers who excel in unselfish sporting endeavor .  BACK TO THE BASIC  SPORTING VALUES  .

We as Rovers fans and members of Club Doncaster should be proud of what is going on there and get behind them in every way we can . I do not fully understand why my club does not fully integrate the Belles to help them regain their rightful place at the top of the Women's Football Pyramid and to sustain their excellent sporting values and ethics which are an example throughout the sporting land .

The Community is made up of macho males , normal males,  wives , girlfriends and children . A  club Doncaster who only really welcomes the first two is not truly going to  be convincing over time . 

Even if, as a second best scenario, Rovers and Belles decide to maintain financial and strategic independence , such niceties have never stopped fans getting behind a worthy cause . Make Club Doncaster a worthy reality not just a business convenience .Come on you Doncaster Rovers Belles. !!!   
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:30:09 pm by graingrover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
Re: Yes we can !
« Reply #1 on October 31, 2014, 05:52:16 pm by Iberian Red »
Great post, but have you thought about the mothballing?

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 31, 2014, 06:42:08 pm by acko »
club doncaster at this time is a very bad idea,few rovers supporters dont give a damn about the rugby team and probably vica versa,too soon to even consider an idea like this rovers appear to be running at a loss,rugby always have and will,and i think finance played a big part in the belles being demoted,so for me wrong time

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 31, 2014, 09:21:10 pm by graingrover »
Acko .. the financial situation at Belles was sorted when Mr Smart left and the University became major sponsor . As for Rovers fans not caring I guess you are probably right but my hope would be that if we had a truly multi sport Community Club we could cater for a broader public .
     The very broadest sweep would be to include the Knights and the Athletics club too . It is taking a longer term view of things and trying to build upon a Community Strategy which has already been adopted by Rovers owners .

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 31, 2014, 10:05:28 pm by acko »
you might be right i just feel the time is not right untill the rovers are more secure

neil grainger

« Reply #5 on October 31, 2014, 10:16:00 pm by neil grainger »
To me there is a very simple aspect to this, even if we don't understand all the background details.
Any team which sports the name "Doncaster Rovers" in its title will get my support!

The Belles are a part of the family and we should do what we can to support their cause.
What a brilliant achievement this season, to take the title decider to the last game, only losing one game during the whole season, and to end as the league's top scorers....and all this after the debacle of their demotion last season.

Well done Belles!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 01, 2014, 08:41:20 am by silent majority »
you might be right i just feel the time is not right untill the rovers are more secure

But that's the whole point, Club Doncaster makes the Rovers more secure. The other teams bring income to the stadium, attract more sponsors and produce revenue that we wouldn't noramlly have access to.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 01, 2014, 09:02:39 am by hoolahoop »

But that's the whole point, Club Doncaster makes the Rovers more secure. The other teams bring income to the stadium, attract more sponsors and produce revenue that we wouldn't noramlly have access to.

Its amazing how many Doncastrians miss this very point . We now have community facilities to get right/pay for whoever holds the reins to the club. The current underachievers here are the Rovers ; let's all kick on together and give the town multi sports to be proud of.
There never is a "right time" that's just an excuse IMO for not moving on a project .

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 01, 2014, 09:39:12 am by idler »
I find it hard to believe that fans will back any Doncaster born boxer, cricketer cyclist or whatever that bring no money into the club but are reluctant to back teams that do.
I'm proud of being from Doncaster and always will be despite moving away 30 odd years ago. When anybody asks where I'm from the reply is always well I live in Bradford but I was born in Doncaster and still watch the Rovers.
Sad I know but that's what it means to me. There are loads of people in Leeds, Bradford etc that now look out for the Rovers results because of this and respect me for my loyalty.
Maybe living in Doncaster people take it for granted but it's always coming home to me when I visit, whether for a match, visit relatives or just shop.  :scarf:

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 01, 2014, 10:34:15 am by graingrover »
Idler .; I know what you mean after 40 odd years abroad I am a very staunch supporter of everything Donny . I want to help in any way I can but am not a rich retiree so try to do my bit like joining the Belles supporters club and buying a Belles season ticket ... that cost me only £30  !!! We can all do something even if it is just a kind word .

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 01, 2014, 10:57:25 am by GazLaz »
I can't understand why TB/DW/JR don't own the Belles as well. Especially for what little it will surely cost.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 01, 2014, 11:02:26 am by idler »
Maybe they will in the future Gaz.
To my mind we should want Doncaster to be successful in everything.
All positive publicity must put the town in a good light.
The better the image the better the chance of attracting talented people here in all walks of life.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 01, 2014, 11:15:12 am by River Don »
The game against MK clashed with the races and I think the Knights too.

Part of the idea behind club Doncaster is to reduce this kind of thing isn't it?

Perhaps we should have played that game on Friday night?

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 01, 2014, 11:48:57 am by acko »
read all your comments and take on board what you think i myself was born in doncaster and proud of it but i  feel more effort and support from those who sponser the doncaster club could help in bringing all the leeds unt,sheff wed sheff unt and man unt fans back to support the rovers

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 01, 2014, 12:02:08 pm by graingrover »
This is a GENUINE non political question . Does the VSC already extend it's support to the Belles in any way ? I am sure there are issues that their newly created Supporters' club would welcome some help with ... Sarah Maye is doing a great job in her volunteer rôle but has it all to do on her own as far as I can see .

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 01, 2014, 12:18:49 pm by Drover »

Im not against club Doncaster etc,Infact Im all for it,But am I the only one whose has concerns that some are naive to not realise,what if the Dons,Belles etc hit money problems which they both have previously that we will then be burdened with losses aswell as the profiteering sides of it?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 01, 2014, 12:24:26 pm by silent majority »
Yes but it won't be the Rovers that incur the losses, that's down to the owners. However the Rovers can benefit from any income as they are the leaseholders on the stadium nobody else.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 01, 2014, 12:27:18 pm by silent majority »
This is a GENUINE non political question . Does the VSC already extend it's support to the Belles in any way ? I am sure there are issues that their newly created Supporters' club would welcome some help with ... Sarah Maye is doing a great job in her volunteer rôle but has it all to do on her own as far as I can see .

To be honest no. We gave them some money a few years ago when they hit a financial brick wall, and we've discussed their fate with DRFC on numerous occasions. But under the current regime we've not done anything. In fairness Brian we've had our hands full for the last 18 months!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 01, 2014, 01:15:51 pm by graingrover »
Thankyou for the reply SM .. I was led to ask the question by reference to 'Community 'in our mission statement . I know hands have been full of course . I am just trying to establish if there are any willing , able, but untapped  resources available to Belles under the general Club Doncaster mission .

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 01, 2014, 01:38:33 pm by roversontheup »
I too am in favour of helping the Belles in some way and trying to restore their standing within the game.  However is it all down to Rovers not taking them into our fold? Perhaps Belles don't want to be part of Rovers?

I genuinely don't know the answer but seem to recall a time when Belles were fiercely protective of their independence.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 01, 2014, 03:56:52 pm by i_ateallthepies »
read all your comments and take on board what you think i myself was born in doncaster and proud of it but i  feel more effort and support from those who sponser the doncaster club could help in bringing all the leeds unt,sheff wed sheff unt and man unt fans back to support the rovers

Would you just drop your supporting of the Rovers to go support any of those clubs?  Of course not.  So, why do you suppose they would.  Not the way football supporting works.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 01, 2014, 06:22:20 pm by acko »
football supporters can be fickle people theres them like i assume your one would support the rovers above everybody else then theres them what might support the rovers but would prefer to watch a higher class of football its these weve to try and bring back

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 02, 2014, 02:44:55 pm by graingrover »
 nice touch .. the end of season Awards evening included awards to supporters of the Belles . I remember we used to have a Supporter of the year award at Rovers .

Outstanding Contribution to the Club - Mark Donnelly, Kevin Neagle, Darren Neagle, Chris Donald, Sarah Maye, Lenny Job, Emma Coates, Suey Smith, Julie Grundy, Liz Leitch, Jane Jennings, Tracey Burbanks, Katie Donald, Cauren Webb, Emma Maye, Kevin Maye

TinyPortal © 2005-2012