Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:15:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What makes a football manager good or bad ?  (Read 4411 times)

redbrez

• VSC Member
What makes a football manager good or bad ?
« on December 17, 2014, 05:58:43 pm by redbrez »
Last year Liverpool fans would of said Brendan Rodgers was a good manager
This year how many would be happy with him being sacked ? So did having Luis saurez make him a good manager ?
How many would of said Nigel Atkins was a good manager , or was he just lucky inheriting a good squad ? Or is he a good manager , reading fans wouldn't agree ?

I don't get the criticism of being tactically clueless , apart from mourinho name a manager who is a tactical genius? 

I personally think Paul dickov will turn things around a bit, but I fear the worst looking at the next four games or so?

so what makes a good manager ? And what makes dickov such a bad manager to most of the fans ?

We could of quite easily of won a couple more games at home and then would everyone be happy ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

keith79

• Forum Member
Re: What makes a football manager good or bad ?
« Reply #1 on December 17, 2014, 06:00:04 pm by keith79 »
results. end of.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 17, 2014, 06:07:53 pm by wilts rover »
Reading fans would also say that Brendan Rogers is a poor manager, they saked him.

There is only one quality a manger needs, luck.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 17, 2014, 06:09:44 pm by acko »
the trouble redbrez dickov was never really wanted so any defeat and he was in trouble

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 17, 2014, 06:16:22 pm by redbrez »
So we have a Un lucky manager ?
at some stage we have to have a bad spell , so is changing the manager the best option , so we sack the manager , get a great lucky manager and he doesn't win in the first 10 games do we then sack him ?
Just my realistic views and at least with dickov I can see us improving, so can't we have patience and see who we bring in the January window?

Suppose I'm in the better the devil you know camp and not up his arse
but I feel a bit sorry for dickov , cos I'm more realistic thinking that we are were we are on merit , but yes disappointing home form
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:23:00 pm by redbrez »

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 17, 2014, 06:16:58 pm by redbrez »
Never wanted  by who ?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 17, 2014, 06:40:22 pm by River Don »
Reading fans would also say that Brendan Rogers is a poor manager, they saked him.

There is only one quality a manger needs, luck.

Jose Mourinho is a very lucky b*****d then!

Luck is useful to have but there are other qualities that make managers great.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 17, 2014, 06:46:38 pm by wilts rover »
If Robinson had scored the penalty against Fulham.
If Main had not got injured 4 games into the season.
If Wabarra's header had gone in and not hit the bar on Saturday.
If Birmingham had not scored in the 93 minute of the last game of last season.

Oh, luck can get you a very long way in football.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 17, 2014, 06:56:41 pm by River Don »
Luck is an ingredient in sport, maybe it's a bit more noticeable in football but overall I don't think there are many managers, who really want to do the job that have an unsuccessful career because they are perpetually unlucky.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 17, 2014, 07:32:31 pm by Askern_reds »
Well IMHO, look at koeman? Sold players for millions many regard them as southhamtons best? But what did he do ,replace them again my opinion with better players for a lot less cash,so to me that is a good manager a bad manager who has got millions to spend and gets nowhere poor results poor position in there respective league

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 17, 2014, 07:40:36 pm by NickDRFC »
If Robinson had scored the penalty against Fulham.
If Main had not got injured 4 games into the season.
If Wabarra's header had gone in and not hit the bar on Saturday.
If Birmingham had not scored in the 93 minute of the last game of last season.

Oh, luck can get you a very long way in football.

To offer the flipside, what if Trotta's penalty had gone in? I'm of the belief that it evens itself out in the long run, we are no less lucky/more unlucky than any other club out there.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 17, 2014, 09:02:06 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Biggest factor for me is being lucky or astute enough to have some exceptional players to depend on.  Rogers had Suarez last season.  Big difference.  Look at them this season.

But, there are a few managers who's record shows they were far more than lucky or successful on the back of exceptional players.  I remember an interview Kevin Keegan did years ago telling what an extraordinary manager Shanks was.  It was at the time that Bobby Moore was in the tabloids over being out on the lash the night before games and Liverpool were playing West Ham.  Just as he was getting his players ready to go out Shanks called Keegan over and said you're going to have a great game today son, I saw Bobby Moore getting off the coach and he had bags under his eyes like bulldog's knackers' (or something to that effect).

Keegan played a blinder and scored and Liverpool won.  Arriving back in the dressing room all Shanks said to Keegan was 'What a fantastic defender Bobby Moore is'.  He didn't need to finish off the sentence for Keegs, he worked it out for himself 'But you gave him a right thrashing today'.

So, there are managers of all types and a few are outstanding.  Brian Clough was another.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 18, 2014, 01:01:39 pm by andyst79 »
A good manager makes the best out of the resources available, is Dickov underachieving? Maybe slightly but it's a long old season & I for one would be happy just to consolidate in L1 this season. We have youth players in & around the 1st team squad so maybe the futures bright and they should be given the chance, it's not like Dickov can actually go out & pay a fee for a player. I'd hope for improvement in results & performances between now & the end of the season & judge him then.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 18, 2014, 01:21:29 pm by Colin C No.3 »
A good manager makes the best out of the resources available, is Dickov underachieving? Maybe slightly but it's a long old season & I for one would be happy just to consolidate in L1 this season. We have youth players in & around the 1st team squad so maybe the futures bright and they should be given the chance, it's not like Dickov can actually go out & pay a fee for a player. I'd hope for improvement in results & performances between now & the end of the season & judge him then.
And if there's no improvement in results & performances (I see little evidence of them improving with PD at the helm) you won't need to 'judge him', the league table will do that for you. Trouble is, it'll be too late by then.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 18, 2014, 01:33:08 pm by BobG »
Why will it be 'too late'? The club will continue to exist. That's a triumph all on its own. The club will still be playing league football. That's another triumph. What's the problem if that's in a different league? Where's the rule that says Rovers can be promoted but being relgated is forbidden? Some bugger has to go down. We've had 10 years of beating the odds. It's inevitable the wheel will turn one day.

I hope we don't go down personally. I don't like the way PD's teams play. I don't like a lot of what we see today. But to say it will be "too late" is simply wrong. It's hyperbole gone mad.

BobG

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 18, 2014, 01:48:47 pm by Boomstick »
Getting relegated would be a disaster, and would undo years of hard work. This club should be at least league 1.

Sort it out brammal!!!!

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 18, 2014, 01:51:25 pm by RoversDave »
When we drew 2-2 at Anfield, Shankly said both our goals were gifts from the gods. Maybe we need to pray more often. PS has the Keepmoat ever been christened?   :santa:  :scarf:  :santa:

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 18, 2014, 02:14:26 pm by BobG »
No it wouldn't Boomstick. It would be not nice. Not what we want. But it wouldn't be a disaster. Look up what the word means mate.

BobG

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 18, 2014, 02:34:50 pm by Boomstick »
No it wouldn't Boomstick. It would be not nice. Not what we want. But it wouldn't be a disaster. Look up what the word means mate.

BobG
It would be, 10 years of hard work on reaching the championship is been undone by the current board.

And it stinks how much contempt they are showing the fans.

It won't be long until the demonstrations start

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 18, 2014, 02:48:12 pm by DearneValleyRover »
PD with his hands in his pockets with a clueless look on his face when the Gills scored spoke volumes, a good manager can motivate players and resolve problems, I see neither from Mr,D and his look on Saturday would suggest he thinks the same.

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 20, 2014, 04:55:55 pm by redbrez »
Dickov in
Luck has changed we saved a penalty   so is he good manager now?
We got a result so he is a good manager now?
tactically useless fancy playing 11 players , rubbish dickov.
Dickov in, till we lose :-)

Bit quite tonight I bet

TinyPortal © 2005-2012