Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:13:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The things we like about Doncaster Rovers thread.....  (Read 9193 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
The things we like about Doncaster Rovers thread.....
« on December 18, 2014, 08:58:32 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Positives only! Forget the disliking of the board, the manager, the Keepmoat, the catering, the VSC, each other etc, and say what we actually like about the club!

OK, I'll start.........em......I like the proud feeling I get when the Red and White hoops walk onto the pitch to the sound of the Wild Rover.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
Re: The things we like about Doncaster Rovers thread.....
« Reply #1 on December 18, 2014, 09:03:53 pm by no eyed deer »
whether it's positive  or negative it's in your blood . why didn't my dad take me to man u as a child  :crying:

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 18, 2014, 09:07:19 pm by dknward2 »
The car park doesnt have pot holes so big you could fall in and drown

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 18, 2014, 09:17:38 pm by wesisback »
I like when I find a Doncaster Rovers fan somewhere I don't expect and instantly your best mates and can talk for hours.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 18, 2014, 10:19:02 pm by Al4475 »
I like the general feeling of anticipation of a good game and a positive result - even if the evidence suggests it ain't gonna happen! The whole idea that maybe, just maybe it'll be our day!

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 18, 2014, 10:47:36 pm by German Rover »
I like the boards around the ground talking about our past.  Not often you see things like that anywhere.  I spent half an hour talking with my youngest brother about Belle Vue and Billy Bremner tonight.

Oh and the steak and ale pies are pretty good, but would be even better with mushy peas and mint sauce.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 18, 2014, 10:51:38 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I like the anticipation of a shock result before a game, a surprise occurence, like Al4475 getting me a pint!

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 18, 2014, 10:59:25 pm by Askern_reds »
From years gone buy, buying a bag of humbugs of the little old lady. The smell of the rubbing oils on the players as they came out,as kids we use to lay on top of the dugouts and nothing said u could talk to the bench ,the songs sang buy the crowd,and like earlier post the prospect of a shock result, and to this day the love of supporting your club through thick or thin

robchester

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 18, 2014, 11:55:43 pm by robchester »
RTID what more can I say.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 19, 2014, 01:11:50 am by Askern_reds »
I was working on bremners house German with willie Boyd's father in law , he seen me looking through a window looking at his Scotland caps hung on a wall . I was shocked when he did no more but came outside took me in and showed me all his memrobelia , and told me some fantastic story's even though I hate Leeds I must say I loved his kindness and what he did for the rovers

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 19, 2014, 10:43:18 am by Rios »
As Nick Hornby pointed out, I like that when something happens to our club that people who I may not speak to from year to year think of me or send a quick message because they know I'll be there.

There's also a certain amount of snobbery in proper football fans that I love... regardless of which club you follow, if you go to games then there's a respect and interest from other football fans which isn't there with armchair fans.  Real fans don't immediately take the piss if your club are doing badly because they know the pain of going week in, week out and watching dross at times.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 19, 2014, 10:44:57 am by drfc1951 »
I still get the same feeling on a match day as I did when I was 5 and first started going with my granddad.That was in 1956.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 19, 2014, 10:52:17 am by Filo »
I was working on bremners house German with willie Boyd's father in law , he seen me looking through a window looking at his Scotland caps hung on a wall . I was shocked when he did no more but came outside took me in and showed me all his memrobelia , and told me some fantastic story's even though I hate Leeds I must say I loved his kindness and what he did for the rovers

Bremner had a house German?

And what specifically did you and Willie do with him?

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 19, 2014, 12:52:38 pm by Muttley »
It's a good excuse to meet up with your mates and sink a few pints. To be honest the football gets in the way a bit!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 19, 2014, 01:13:12 pm by RobTheRover »
I like the added sense of excitement at a night match when you walk towards the ground and first see the floodlights.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 19, 2014, 02:17:33 pm by andyst79 »
The fact that we're w@nk! If we won every week it would all get a little bit boring. As footballing stories go there's not many more facinating than Rovers, when we've been in the doldrums for so long and constant underdogs  you learn to appreciate and savour the good times that little bit more. We've had a fair bit of success in the last 10 years and become the envy of others but for every up there's a down & vice versa that's the beauty of football it well and truly puts you through the rinsed & I for 1 wouldn't have it any other way, maybe some of our supporters should care to remember this a bit more!

Crowle Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 19, 2014, 03:46:26 pm by Crowle Rover »

Very true Andy.
I started going in 1988 and until the Britannia stadium victory in 2003 we rarely had anything to celebrate.
So as you say, the achievements we had in the following years (Champions league 3, Cardiff, Wembley, League Cup quarter finals etc) made up for all the years of agony.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 19, 2014, 03:53:49 pm by Al4475 »
BB
a surprise occurence, like Al4475 getting me a pint!

I'll see thee int' bv bar on boxing day Mr Hall and get you a fecker! LOL

Then nothing that ever happens at our club in the future will be a surprise!

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 19, 2014, 03:58:21 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Living in the Netherlands for 37 years during nearly all of which nobody has ever heard of Doncaster or Doncaster Rovers, and coming across two wonderful articles in Dutch:

Farewell to Belle Vue (Forest game):
http://www.freewebs.com/doingthe116/doncasterverslag.htm

Fairytale in Doncaster (potted history after Leeds playoff win):
http://www.doingthe116.com/fairytale.htm

Priceless, and brought tears to my eyes that a true neutral football fan and a Dutchman at that went to the trouble to find out what we are truly all about.

P.S. Well worth a google translate and reading it all (although he uses a lot of colloquial slang so the translations results might be fun).

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:13:41 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 19, 2014, 04:04:57 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BB
a surprise occurence, like Al4475 getting me a pint!

I'll see thee int' bv bar on boxing day Mr Hall and get you a fecker! LOL

Then nothing that ever happens at our club in the future will be a surprise!

I just don't know what to say Al, I'm overwhelmed. This promises to be the best Christmas ever......

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 19, 2014, 04:08:18 pm by Bentley Bullet »
.........I don't know whether to drink it, or ask the club to put it in the trophy cabinet!

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 19, 2014, 04:24:15 pm by Al4475 »
Take a pic of it being handed over like a new multimillion pound signing - then drink it! Print the pic and ask the club to put that in the trophy cabinet! Haha

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 19, 2014, 04:28:09 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Ahaaa! At least there'll be plenty of room in the cabinet with this lot in char............Sorry, sorry, truce at Christmas!  ;)

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 19, 2014, 04:32:35 pm by Al4475 »
Matey as mentioned on another thread - I really enjoy the way we can discuss our differing perspectives without resorting to calling each other t**ts! No truce required good bud! Have a great one send my regards to the family!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 19, 2014, 04:36:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Nice one mate, same to you and yours.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 19, 2014, 05:17:50 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Living in the Netherlands for 37 years during nearly all of which nobody has ever heard of Doncaster or Doncaster Rovers, and coming across two wonderful articles in Dutch:

Farewell to Belle Vue (Forest game):
http://www.freewebs.com/doingthe116/doncasterverslag.htm

Fairytale in Doncaster (potted history after Leeds playoff win):
http://www.doingthe116.com/fairytale.htm

Priceless, and brought tears to my eyes that a true neutral football fan and a Dutchman at that went to the trouble to find out what we are truly all about.

P.S. Well worth a google translate and reading it all (although he uses a lot of colloquial slang so the translations results might be fun).

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Google translate comes up with some great comments

"After having tried the stadium food, pre match began "entertainment", consisting of a singer with red hair who could sing really bad and then an opera singer. It was clear that this was arranged by the wife of the president, who undoubtedly loved it, but the majority of the fans will yet so had their reservations. Fortunately there were cheerleaders who were very un-English super beautiful and also once performed a synchronized dance."

" we decided to go to the nightclub and show us quite fill with beer. The entertainment was provided by a band with a very nice singer. Little old head, but a nice body. The pronunciation of the English lyrics were strange, but in proposing the band showed why, because not only all the staff came from Eastern Europe or Asia, "

and from the second one

" In 1992 it was again carrots sweating for Doncaster when she fought with Carlisle for that last spot. There was relief when it appeared that no one would degrade the bankruptcy of Aldershot"

" There were even lost some matches 7-0 and 8-0, so the degradation was justified. Doncaster was replaced Conference Champion Halifax Town (also bankrupt a few weeks ago, this very bizarre). Nadir was probably still the 739 spectators, who decided to take on Doncaster to see play against Barnet. The thousands of spectators Belle Vue in better years peopled were gone. Perhaps to Leeds, the neighbor from Yorkshire, who was that year finished fifth in the Premier League."

and especially some of this one

"The outdated Belle Vue stadium was abandoned on 23 December 2006 (in this last game I attended, click here for some pictures of that game and the stadium: Farewell to Belle Vue) and the club moved into the boring but very functional Keepmoat stage. Ryan had the municipality bullshit blisters on his tongue to allow them to build this stadium." 

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 19, 2014, 05:20:45 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I like the added sense of excitement at a night match when you walk towards the ground and first see the floodlights.

The lights have always done it for me too Rob.  I expect it's the fact that my first ever game I was taken to when was a night match.  Colchester on a pea-souper night.  Game abandoned at HT.

But coming from Bolton on Dearne I'd never been to this side of Donny before, so seeing the height and brightness of those lights for the first time was just spectacular.

redandwhitewizard

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 19, 2014, 05:39:59 pm by redandwhitewizard »
as a kid (circa mid 70's) just turnin up to a rovers game and being welcomed for being there as a donny fan, Primo, meathead, lets go f**kin mental, lets all av a disco etc etc etc. Currently serving a self imposed 1 yr home ban from Keepmoat cos frankly its boring and many so called donny fans get on mi tits. I can use perfect english if i choose but i choose not to in the same way i cannot tolerate negative fans watching my club and spoiing my experience. For gods sake we stuck together when we were actually crap, how fkn dare you, by the way this decision as cost the club 2xadult, 2xkids; 1xconcession season tkt

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 19, 2014, 05:50:28 pm by acko »
to askern red,i agree with what you said about the humbugs,best in the world mrs teal was her name i beleave the recipe died with her what a pity

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on December 19, 2014, 07:01:52 pm by Bentley Bullet »
All this talk about renting premises to sell Rovers merchandise in when we could do worse than recreate Mrs Teals traditional humbugs and sell them on match days around the ground. Perhaps adding Doncaster's very own invention Butterscotch on the menu as a preference.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012