Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 02:01:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: West stand stewards last night  (Read 7879 times)

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
West stand stewards last night
« on February 18, 2015, 11:12:11 pm by StocktonRover »
In recent weeks it has become apparent that the stewards are taking an over officious approach to stewarding the more vocal fans at the North end of the west stand.

It must be the only part of the ground where fans have to show there ticket to gain access.

Last night the stewards took exception to one of the fans wearing a horse head fancy dress mask. It was harmless and just a bit of fun but it appears that the steward supervisor insisted on the stewards making an issue of it.
I don't remember such a fuss when the club encouraged fans to wear Rob Jones masks last year.

I asked the steward if wearing a mask was against ground regulations and his response was somewhat disappointing - it was along the lines of "I don't know and I'm sick of being asked to explain myself - I'm just doing what I'm told"

Surely there is no need for the deliberate targeting of this relatively small group of fans who are just set on creating an atmosphere and having harmless fun (albeit slightly cringeworthy at times).

Does anyone know if wearing a mask is actually against ground regs? If so why are so many fans in fancy dress at the last game of the season not challenged.

It smacks of this group being targeted and treated differently.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: West stand stewards last night
« Reply #1 on February 18, 2015, 11:22:44 pm by IDM »
I think the mask issue is unusual, but I understood the idea of "sanitising" the NW blocks was all about keeping policing costs down?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 18, 2015, 11:25:28 pm by BobG »
Blockton Brown would have come unstuck in a bloody big way if that's the new rule then Stockton. I really don't believe there is any such rule though. I haven't bothered to check - but it's so silly as to be unbelieveable.

Much more likely to be a jumped up little Hitler in a high viz jacket dishing out orders that make him feel hot, sexy and powerful. Oh, and a w**ker.

BobG

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 18, 2015, 11:27:30 pm by Mr1Croft »
Its usually the same in most places where they don't like you having your face covered when CCTV is in operation.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 18, 2015, 11:29:33 pm by BobG »
I understand that Crofty. It's the obvious reason. But I reckon there's still no ground or FL regulation that says you have to be uncovered.

BobG

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 18, 2015, 11:30:13 pm by wesisback »
In recent weeks it has become apparent that the stewards are taking an over officious approach to stewarding the more vocal fans at the North end of the west stand.

It must be the only part of the ground where fans have to show there ticket to gain access.

Last night the stewards took exception to one of the fans wearing a horse head fancy dress mask. It was harmless and just a bit of fun but it appears that the steward supervisor insisted on the stewards making an issue of it.
I don't remember such a fuss when the club encouraged fans to wear Rob Jones masks last year.

I asked the steward if wearing a mask was against ground regulations and his response was somewhat disappointing - it was along the lines of "I don't know and I'm sick of being asked to explain myself - I'm just doing what I'm told"

Surely there is no need for the deliberate targeting of this relatively small group of fans who are just set on creating an atmosphere and having harmless fun (albeit slightly cringeworthy at times).

Does anyone know if wearing a mask is actually against ground regs? If so why are so many fans in fancy dress at the last game of the season not challenged.

It smacks of this group being targeted and treated differently.
The bloke was a jobsworth and its on my list of things to discuss with the club tomorrow, however it is fair to point out that the control room clearly saw there was an issue as they had him moved to another area of the ground and replaced by a much more relaxed steward. Was this weeks game a 'police free' event? Could it be the case that as a result they deploy a few more stewards in the ground. I've never seen the bloke before and I'd suggest that he isn't in attendance again.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 18, 2015, 11:33:38 pm by eastender »
Its usually the same in most places where they don't like you having your face covered when CCTV is in operation.

So on a freezing cold night could they stop you from covering your face with a scarf.....surely not .  :unsure:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 19, 2015, 02:06:08 am by hoolahoop »
Time it all stopped , what would they do about someone dressed In a Burkha I wonder.
Ffs leave football supporters in peace......stop treating them like animals. Oh and kick this tosser of a steward out and reprimand his boss. We have enough to put up with,  without this shite !!!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 19, 2015, 06:22:59 am by GazLaz »
What about Rob Jones mask day?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 19, 2015, 06:52:37 am by PDX_Rover »
Neigh, neigh and thrice neigh.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 19, 2015, 08:21:12 am by normal rules »
Can I point out to the members of the nw crowd that during more high profile games. Let's say the bristolcity game next week, then there will no doubt have to be a police presence in the ground, because of the proximity of away fans to yourselves.

This will cost the club money.

Just something to think about.

Perhaps this is why they are trying to "sanitize" this area.
It's called risk management.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 19, 2015, 08:24:14 am by 1879Rovers »
I think the steward was just having a mare.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 19, 2015, 08:31:19 am by Filo »
Can I point out to the members of the nw crowd that during more high profile games. Let's say the bristolcity game next week, then there will no doubt have to be a police presence in the ground, because of the proximity of away fans to yourselves.

This will cost the club money.

Just something to think about.

Perhaps this is why they are trying to "sanitize" this area.
It's called risk management.

Perhaps over zealous stewarding is contributing to the sanitization of that area?

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 19, 2015, 08:47:17 am by wesisback »
Generally the stewarding is alright up there. However this guy had a face like thunder for the duration of his time up there and stood at the front of the gantry so he could stare into the group.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 19, 2015, 09:00:20 am by IDM »
I would reckon that the cost savings from not policing games far outweigh the costs of moving existing NW ST holders into a more central (and more expensive) block, assuming the club offers to pay the difference in ST prices?

Also encouraging the "rowdier" elements of the crowd to migrate to the south stand to have a main area for atmosphere would reduce risks/tensions in the NW corner with the away fans, saving on policing costs?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 19, 2015, 09:06:19 am by Chris Black come back »
Thanks for the tip off. Sounds like this guy was just giving you a hurdle to jump over. Folk like him just go flat out to annoy the average fan. Sounds like you had a mare on Tuesday.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 19, 2015, 10:13:36 am by normal rules »
Re costs of police, a sgt plus six cops on say an average of 20 quid per hour on a 10 hr shift that's 1400 quid. If they are on cancelled rest day then add another half to that. 2 grand. It's a lot of money. 

Don't forget, no police in ground means no cost to club. The nw corner costs the club money to police. I have nothing against them, just pointing out a fact.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 19, 2015, 10:17:01 am by Donnywolf »
What about Rob Jones mask day?

I will start with a guess that people were given Rob Jones paper masks to wear at a recent game as a tribute to RJ ?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 19, 2015, 10:22:12 am by silent majority »
Compared to the average club our stewards are excellent. It does happen though that the odd rogue element sneaks in, usually as an agency steward, and every time its been brought to their attention they've reacted and investigated, usually with the right outcome. I expect them to do the same again.

By the way, we are still the only club in SY that has Police free games, a testament to how good our stewarding operation is.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 19, 2015, 10:32:17 am by wesisback »
I absolutely agree. In fact this is the first incident of poor stewarding I've ever witnessed at the Keepmoat.
Whether it falls under ground regulations or not I expect as a human being to be spoken to with some kind of respect. This bloke was in the wrong industry as I generally find that it a steward acts with respect he gets nothing but respect back.
The control spotted the potential issue and dealt with it quickly. The learning is that surely you'd want your regulars in that kind of location and your agency in a much quieter area of the ground?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 19, 2015, 10:50:53 am by the vicar »
i think it is found upon for the reason of banning orders  if they cant see there face they don't no if they are on one or not but i'm not saying it is right or wrong

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 19, 2015, 02:26:16 pm by Askern_reds »
only club in yorkshire to have police free games can't this be put down to our fans not been as bad as people make out and not just down to good stewarding, compare our fans to the likes of scum, sheffield utd and the Wednesday?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 19, 2015, 02:54:34 pm by steve@dcfd »
only club in yorkshire to have police free games can't this be put down to our fans not been as bad as people make out and not just down to good stewarding, compare our fans to the likes of scum, sheffield utd and the Wednesday?

Could be or apart from York City we have the lowest crowd in Yorkshire  league clubs.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 19, 2015, 03:01:12 pm by Askern_reds »
wonder why that is?

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 19, 2015, 05:46:31 pm by albie »
The stewarding sector is sometimes not as professional as it should be. This is a bad example from Forest Green;
Grimsby Town fan's ejection from Forest Green match investigated

Not Rovers related, clearly, but a source of concern to all supporters when this sort of thing takes place.

Ian Nimmo

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 19, 2015, 08:15:45 pm by Ian Nimmo »
I would reckon that the cost savings from not policing games far outweigh the costs of moving existing NW ST holders into a more central (and more expensive) block, assuming the club offers to pay the difference in ST prices?

Also encouraging the "rowdier" elements of the crowd to migrate to the south stand to have a main area for atmosphere would reduce risks/tensions in the NW corner with the away fans, saving on policing costs?

Under a different thread, I have made my feelings about changing the south stand to unreserved seating, and in doing so I have been criticised by many on this forum. I have always attempted to find out information from the club, and to-date some of my questions remain unanswered.

I am confident that as part of the decision taken by the club, was to attempt the move of the STH in the north west corner to the south stand. These STH have subsequently stated that they do not wish to move to the south stand.

This smacks of an attempt to pressurise a move!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 19, 2015, 09:32:11 pm by silent majority »
The stewarding sector is sometimes not as professional as it should be. This is a bad example from Forest Green;
Grimsby Town fan's ejection from Forest Green match investigated

Not Rovers related, clearly, but a source of concern to all supporters when this sort of thing takes place.

Very much a concern. Its being dealt with through the FSF office.

northerncasual

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 20, 2015, 10:08:21 pm by northerncasual »

So on a freezing cold night could they stop you from covering your face with a scarf.....surely not .  :unsure:
I think you will find that you can be stopped from covering your face . They say it's so you are seen on cctv .

neil grainger

« Reply #28 on February 20, 2015, 10:18:44 pm by neil grainger »
There were some insulting chants aimed towards stewards from the West Stand 'boys' the other night.

I don't know which came first, the chicken or the egg.

Because I was watching the football.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 21, 2015, 12:33:50 am by Bessie Red »
Generally the stewarding is alright up there. However this guy had a face like thunder for the duration of his time up there and stood at the front of the gantry so he could stare into the group.

My lad told me that he works at the Dome aswell and that he has the exact same look on his face there to, he says he never smiles. Are these people not taught about customer service!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012