Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:47:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Our team has improved under the new manager  (Read 5696 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Our team has improved under the new manager
« on November 30, 2015, 01:02:23 am by Sammy Chung was King »
A lot, but does it frustrate you like me, when near enough every team seem to scout for players better than we do?.
Why is it as supporters we see players that would fit into our side, and also be a long term potential investment, that we don't seem to sign the players needed?.
This has been going on for years, we seem to have no ambition in that area. Ireland a fair few players have been recruited from over there, and for prices that our club could afford.
I flagged up a player two years ago, yet the clubs scouts haven't noticed him, now championship clubs are after him, the player Richie Towell ex Celtic!, he is an attacking midfield playmaker something we have needed since Syers left! .
Why when our club hasn't got lots of money to spend, are we not scouting in Ireland?.

Jason Cummings another one i have been on about him for a year to two years, a young striker who scored in the Scottish premier when he was seventeen years old, and he scores practically every week!.
Yes in a poor league, but anybody who saw him play can see the potential, now championship clubs are after him, too late again!, Scottish football is producing good players again why are we not looking in that area and getting them early?.

When are the club going to sign more permanent players, that will give us a better chance of sustained success?. Why when there is a hot prospect in non league or wherever, we are never in the running?.
The manager is doing a great job so far, but long term things need to change, he needs funds to gamble on potential players and also players he's see's as more certain signings.
For me the way the club go about transfers needs to change to give the manager a fair chance of sustained success, and to do that a proper scouting system needs to be put in place!.

There is no point running a club just to be average, instead of putting money aside for short term signings, put more into permanent one's, and use the loan market like Ferguson has since taking over.
Only signing players that are far better than what you have instead of just ''plugging the squad gaps'' with bodies!.
We saw with O'Driscoll that you can only keep getting players for so long, and he had transfer funds, so how hard is it for our current manager to keep doing well for a good few years.

I am hoping that now Ferguson is here, he won't accept second best like managers before did. I don't want the club paying out millions, it would just be nice if there seemed to be a plan involving identifying players and getting them early for small fee's. The club needs to change these things if the manager is going to have a fair chance of being a success.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
Re: Our team has improved under the new manager
« Reply #1 on November 30, 2015, 01:33:14 am by hoolahoop »
Good post and so very true . There were a fair few players knocking around Eastern Europe too and I understand that someone went there to identify them and bring them back . That man was the 'snake' a certain M.Walker. ( hearsay of course )

We have missed so many players its untrue, do we even have scouts or do they pass these lads onto the bigger clubs in the area still ?

Yes we need fully signed up players not  a team full of loanees and that goes for scouts too. They must be the best and full time too with an unswerving loyalty to our club. We no longer want to hear about Leeds, Sheffield U/Wed poaching our best.

We want to compete we have to use every resource possible . It will be far cheaper in the long run.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 01:37:55 am by hoolahoop »

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 30, 2015, 02:18:05 am by bpoolrover »
While I agree,there is not much wrong with loan players either,the 2 from Everton are great signings and I bet very cheap 2

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 30, 2015, 06:16:11 am by Yorkiered »
A lot, but does it frustrate you like me, when near enough every team seem to scout for players better than we do?.
Why is it as supporters we see players that would fit into our side, and also be a long term potential investment, that we don't seem to sign the players needed?.
This has been going on for years, we seem to have no ambition in that area. Ireland a fair few players have been recruited from over there, and for prices that our club could afford.
I flagged up a player two years ago, yet the clubs scouts haven't noticed him, now championship clubs are after him, the player Richie Towell ex Celtic!, he is an attacking midfield playmaker something we have needed since Syers left! .
Why when our club hasn't got lots of money to spend, are we not scouting in Ireland?.

Jason Cummings another one i have been on about him for a year to two years, a young striker who scored in the Scottish premier when he was seventeen years old, and he scores practically every week!.
Yes in a poor league, but anybody who saw him play can see the potential, now championship clubs are after him, too late again!, Scottish football is producing good players again why are we not looking in that area and getting them early?.

When are the club going to sign more permanent players, that will give us a better chance of sustained success?. Why when there is a hot prospect in non league or wherever, we are never in the running?.
The manager is doing a great job so far, but long term things need to change, he needs funds to gamble on potential players and also players he's see's as more certain signings.
For me the way the club go about transfers needs to change to give the manager a fair chance of sustained success, and to do that a proper scouting system needs to be put in place!.

There is no point running a club just to be average, instead of putting money aside for short term signings, put more into permanent one's, and use the loan market like Ferguson has since taking over.
Only signing players that are far better than what you have instead of just ''plugging the squad gaps'' with bodies!.
We saw with O'Driscoll that you can only keep getting players for so long, and he had transfer funds, so how hard is it for our current manager to keep doing well for a good few years.

I am hoping that now Ferguson is here, he won't accept second best like managers before did. I don't want the club paying out millions, it would just be nice if there seemed to be a plan involving identifying players and getting them early for small fee's. The club needs to change these things if the manager is going to have a fair chance of being a success.

Why don't you approach the CEO. Surely with your amazing knowledge of football and where all the next young potential is they would snap you up?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 30, 2015, 07:34:28 am by roversdude »
Sammy good post we have past history of scouting in these areas so something has in recent years gone a miss
Is Gerry Taggart still in position maybe this is something he can address - football must be on a high over in the Emerald Isles attracting more youngsters to see football as a sport of choice therefore more talent ?
Peterborough were renowned for taking a punt with non league players - how much DF had to do with this I don't know but he must be aware of the talent
One I'm always wishing we gave a decent try was Damien Reeves

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 30, 2015, 10:02:29 am by DRNaith »
I understand the OP's post, but I think we need to keep a perspective about it too. If you divide those players by the number of league clubs then I don't think we're doing too badly.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 30, 2015, 10:53:43 am by Mike_F »
Taggart has gone. I hope that's because DF has his own scouts out there!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 30, 2015, 11:00:43 am by ravenrover »
Whilst the loan system exists which teams are going to actually sign players on contract when "better" players are available on the cheap on loans? It's all short-termism we ant success but we want it now!
I don't agree with the loan system but it is in place, it needs regulating more IMO, the number that can actually feature in a game be it in the starting 11 or from the bench should be 2 max and there should certainly be no loans between teams in the same division. JMHO

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 30, 2015, 11:20:26 am by graingrover »
The body of the thread has nowt to do with the thread's title .. which could better have read .. S Chung could run  this club better.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 30, 2015, 12:29:26 pm by bedale rover »
Watching the Belgian league last night and there are plenty of good players there who could do a job

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 30, 2015, 12:48:01 pm by The Red Baron »
Martin Samuel's article today on the subject of lower league players is interesting:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3338721/Why-don-t-Premier-League-clubs-look-Jamie-Vardys-Conor-McLaughlin-not-exotic-story-s-Northern-Ireland-s-choice.html

I suppose the problem is this: The Premier League is dominated by foreign owners and foreign managers, so there is a tendency to look abroad when recruiting players.

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 30, 2015, 07:05:38 pm by Petche »
I have noticed that a striker called Kristian Dennis is scoring almost every week for Macclesfield in the conference. After some research he is 25 and on loan from Stockport. Wasnt Vardy 25 when he was playing for Fleetwood then in the conference? Admittedly dont know anything else about him but would like to think a club like ours is watching the situation at least! Apologies if his name has come up before, i dont read this forum often enough!

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 30, 2015, 07:53:29 pm by les@donr »
We should be scouring the local clubs in non-league for talent and not let them get away to other professional clubs.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 30, 2015, 08:18:29 pm by Al4475 »
Agreed Les,
Mentioned before (tho I know it's way down the ladder) but the academy at DRFC isn't a top rated academy and that gives the top rated academies the right to poach our academy better players.

It also on the flip side allows us to pinch the best lot of the grade below us!

This is where I think we need to focus for the real long term. Ben Mawson and co with the kids do a great job but they pick the 'rejects' up from the better academies and 'cherry pick' the best from the lower academies rather than look around properly in the schools and Junior Football to pick up the creme de la creme of local kids.

This was acknowledged by Ben and co last year when my school team won the Kindersport+ club (U-11) Donny title and moved onto being DRFC's reps in the North of England Finals.

DRFC  allowed us to train weekly at the KM before hitting the North of England Finals and organised tourneys/friendlies against the Skills, ID, Junior Academy and Full Academy players from U-9 to U-11 which we won (convincingly.) From my squad of 9 two were all that had been picked up by Rovers! However, after the friendlies and such like 4 more of them were fast-tracked straight to the academy set up.

They need to look closer to home from a real young age - there's some gems in our area! They just need spotting and polishing!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:13:06 pm by Al4475 »

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 30, 2015, 09:21:21 pm by les@donr »
I would guess that Fergie will reform the scouting network to make it more effective in spotting and recruiting local talent. We can't afford gifted players from our area going to other teams.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 30, 2015, 10:59:55 pm by wilts rover »
Isn't that why Strachan was taken on as assistant, for his non-league knowledge?

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 30, 2015, 11:13:15 pm by les@donr »
I thought they had worked together at Peterborough?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 01, 2015, 12:02:45 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I am sure Ferguson will be working on this anyway, every club needs good scouting and a board that will take a chance on an unknown player.
We haven't got lots of cash to throw about, but there's no reason we can't compete for non league players, scottish or irish league prospects, we just need to find them early enough.
The non league scene alone is jam packed with good players just needing a chance. Our board cover deficits year after year, if we could just get some of this potential, in the long run, the costs would come down for them.
What's wrong with our club being another rung on a ladder to a player getting up the leagues?.
We develop them and when a bigger club comes in, we hopefully get a bigger fee than paid, plus a sell on fee, the player is grateful for the opportunity we gave him, we do well while he is here and the buying club get him at a small fee for them.

Of course it's not that easy, not every deal works out, but when we were doing well, we had these sort of players with something to prove to themselves and others!.
They bring a hunger to do well, they bring a different work ethic because they know what it's like to go to work and play football as well!. They appreciate where they are, and don't want to drop back down. They want to do well for themselves and their families, we badly need that sort of striving energy in the club!.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 01, 2015, 01:31:51 am by hoolahoop »
The body of the thread has nowt to do with the thread's title .. which could better have read .. S Chung could run  this club better.

Graingrover was there really any need for that comment ? Someone goes to a lot of thought and then shares his views in a forum and that's the best you can come up with!
Don't you value his opinion or would it be best that he kept his thoughts to himself ?
You are the last person that I thought would have made such a comment :(

Theres no wonder that many don't feel the urge to post on here anymore .
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:42:02 am by hoolahoop »

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 01, 2015, 09:17:32 pm by les@donr »
I would scout for Rovers around the non-league teams in Yorkshire and beyond. Just need someone to pay my air fare from Canada back to Donny :)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 01, 2015, 10:37:49 pm by steve@dcfd »
With 26 games left and looking at our current postion in the table, if we are to make the playoffs this season our team under DF  must improve even more from this point.

I would suggest we will need league winners form to make the playoffs from here.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 02, 2015, 01:16:35 am by newyankee »
I was speaking over the weekend to a friend of mine from the Halifax area over another matter.  He was, until the exit of John Ryan, a fixture with JR and the Rovers. (  no names no pack drill).  What he told me was mind boggling, in that he recommended Jamie Vardy to SoD when he ( Vardy) was still with Halifax and before he went to Fleetwood.

According to my friend, he alleged that SoD said he was not interested.  I think it depends on the manager and with his record with ex non Leaguers, I think the response from DF would be different.  I would like to think if a supporter, or an official of a local non league team, made a recommendation of a player, then DF would have someone watch him and give him the once over,  before turning that player down or offering him a trial.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 02, 2015, 01:33:52 am by NickDRFC »
Another one to add to the "SOD turned down McCarthy, McArthur and Dorrans" stick to beat him with!

SOD, and all other Rovers managers, will be offered players all the time. Just because a couple have gone on to play at a much higher level doesn't really mean anything - hundreds or more will have done nothing and rightly turned down. It's easy to say that we should have so and so watched but in reality we only have a finite number of staff to do so.

That said, it would be handy to have a local scout(s) who could go and check out local games and report back - I don't know if we have anyone like that these days or indeed have since Dave Blakey! Could possibly have them work on a small retainer and get a bonus depending on the transfer actually going through.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 02, 2015, 04:50:56 am by idler »
If I remember right Bob Nellis recommended and took Kevin Keegan to Scunthorpe. When Kev went to Liverpool Bob got 10% if I remember
 right, about £3,300. I played with Bob in the Sunday league but can't remember the full story. This should be enough incentive for any scout if it's still a similar scenario.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 02, 2015, 07:49:34 am by newyankee »
Nick, I used the Vardy case as an example, I was trying to stress that I doubt Ferguson would not pass without having the player checked. Look at those who came through Peterborough while he was there.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 02, 2015, 08:05:04 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Thing is if we took every player Sammy has flagged up we'd go bust. There is the thing, managers get tonnes of players flagged up and the odd one will come good.  But a lot will not.

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 02, 2015, 08:27:15 am by Yorkiered »
Another one to add to the "SOD turned down McCarthy, McArthur and Dorrans" stick to beat him with!

SOD, and all other Rovers managers, will be offered players all the time. Just because a couple have gone on to play at a much higher level doesn't really mean anything - hundreds or more will have done nothing and rightly turned down. It's easy to say that we should have so and so watched but in reality we only have a finite number of staff to do so.

That said, it would be handy to have a local scout(s) who could go and check out local games and report back - I don't know if we have anyone like that these days or indeed have since Dave Blakey! Could possibly have them work on a small retainer and get a bonus depending on the transfer actually going through.

Don't forget Charlie Adam to add to that list!!

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 02, 2015, 11:46:33 pm by les@donr »
Burton have just signed a lad from Grays, not exactly in their neck of the woods, shows they must have a good scouting system and willing to take the odd gamble.

SuperPosh

« Reply #28 on December 03, 2015, 11:23:18 am by SuperPosh »

Nick, I used the Vardy case as an example, I was trying to stress that I doubt Ferguson would not pass without having the player checked. Look at those who came through Peterborough while he was there.

He nearly did sign Vardy, agreed a deal with Fleetwood, the player but Leicester offered 4x salary that we had and the rest is history!

DF will happily take a punt on most players, and probably improve them too. For every Dwight Gayle there is a Rene Howe but do expect lots of trialists pre season

TinyPortal © 2005-2012