Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:44:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Is this the real thing?  (Read 9243 times)

darren61

Is this the real thing?
« on May 27, 2016, 08:41:23 pm by darren61 »
Is anyone else getting the feeling that next season will bring back some glory days? Or am i just drunk? Has Ronny from Donny got any thoughts?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Is this the real thing?
« Reply #1 on May 28, 2016, 11:48:57 am by RedJ »
I think it could be a good season for us, especially if another striker comes in.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 28, 2016, 12:14:08 pm by Retdon1 »
I honestly think we will pi*s it next season.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 28, 2016, 12:43:22 pm by Rovers91 »
I wouldn't say piss it because Portsmouth will be strong but I think we will have a good season and we have got to be aiming to win it.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 28, 2016, 01:09:46 pm by The Red Baron »
I wouldn't say piss it because Portsmouth will be strong but I think we will have a good season and we have got to be aiming to win it.

I think most Portsmouth fans would have thought they would p*ss it last season. I think we should certainly be looking at top seven though.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 28, 2016, 02:13:32 pm by RobTheRover »
It's funny,  the pain of last season feels a distant memory already.

I'm really looking forward to the new season.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 28, 2016, 02:58:05 pm by steve@dcfd »

I think most Portsmouth fans would have thought they would p*ss it last season. I think we should certainly be looking at top seven though.

If we don't finish in the top three automatic promotion then we will have not achieved the objectives set.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 28, 2016, 03:10:46 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yep, it's time to turn this ship around. It's time to see joy on peoples faces. It's time the football did the talking!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 28, 2016, 03:28:29 pm by the vicar »
with out automatic we have failed, as playoffs are to close to call simple as

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 28, 2016, 03:37:58 pm by Chris Black come back »
Let's hold the horses.

These are good signings seemingly, all done early.

The issues with Ferguson hasn't been the players, it has been getting them to play as a cohesive unit and with some b*llocks to see the job through.

Great we have got some seemingly good signings but this is literally only half the job. Ferguson needs to get them playing. Last season showed that he really struggles at times. This can't be the case next season.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 28, 2016, 04:34:45 pm by Copps is Magic »
Too early to tell. I thought the signings last summer added to the squad but I was very wrong. Trying to stay a bit more impartial this time round. I like the look of the midfield already and the Keeper. Defensively and upfront we're still very short. 

Give me Keshi and a couple more defenders then I'll jump back on the bandwagon.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 28, 2016, 04:44:44 pm by dickos1 »
He's signing his players now, he struggled to get the players playing that weren't his players
All these players want to play for him that's why they're here

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 28, 2016, 04:55:39 pm by Chris Black come back »
Let's just say the jury is out.

Will be willing him to win but the debacle of last season weighs very heavy.

I think we can all agree that there are absolutely no excuses this season. He has to get us challenging right from the very start. He has been provided with every possible advantage.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 28, 2016, 05:53:19 pm by dickos1 »
Agreed but we also can't keep banging on about last season and give him a fresh start

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 28, 2016, 06:03:20 pm by Retdon1 »
Need to give him around 15/20 games and see where we are. Anywhere other than top 6 at this point and he should go. This will be his team so no excuses. Coming round to the thinking that relegation could not be such a bad thing as it gives us the chance to finally get rid of all the dead wood that dickov left us with and start fresh. Hopefully build some momentum like burton and Rotherham have done in previous seasons.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 28, 2016, 06:35:12 pm by steve@dcfd »
Relegation was a bad thing, but we have to stop the rot now. It's not about 15/20 games unless by then we have a minimum of 30/40 points. This would we are on target for automatic.

From now it's up to the club, owners, CEO and manager to provide the players to get us out of the league.
It's then up to the manager and players to get there.
If we need assistance in the January window to achieve the objective I will expect the owners to assist that aim.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 29, 2016, 12:18:20 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Give him pre season and a fair few games early on, then the team should start improving going upto christmas, hitting top form around that time.
You want to be around the other teams near the top from the start, maybe 3-6 points from the top going into christmas. This league isn't the best, but it isn't easy, we will have to compete physically as well as the technical side.
 I don't expect promotion, though i would be massively disappointed if we aren't promoted. I suspect we will have to be patient early on in the season.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 29, 2016, 06:07:25 pm by les@donr »
We will be a big team in L2, other teams will especially want to  beat us. The players will have to be both mentally and technically superior to the opposition. Fergie will have to get off to a winning start, otherwise he will have to go.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 29, 2016, 07:28:23 pm by mrfrostsdad »
It's funny,  the pain of last season feels a distant memory already.

I'm really looking forward to the new season.

Really?? Not for me it doesn't. I'm still fuming that Ferguson managed to get the worst out of the players and is still in a job.
We thought we'd made some good signings last close season, and in general they turned out to be rubbish. Two useless managers compounded the situation.
Yes, I'm looking forward to next season because it HAS to be better. Let's not count our chickens though eh??
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 08:54:20 pm by mrfrostsdad »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 29, 2016, 10:57:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Relegation was a bad thing, but we have to stop the rot now. It's not about 15/20 games unless by then we have a minimum of 30/40 points. This would we are on target for automatic.

From now it's up to the club, owners, CEO and manager to provide the players to get us out of the league.
It's then up to the manager and players to get there.
If we need assistance in the January window to achieve the objective I will expect the owners to assist that aim.

Steve. We went through this last season.

The last 8 times we got promoted, we have had, after 15 matches.

12/13 27 points
07/08 22 points
03/04 28 points
02/03 29 points
83/84 25 points
80/81 26 points*
68/69 29 points*
65/66 25 points*
(*Converted to 3 points for a win.)

You've got to go back to 1949/50 to find a season where we got 30 points from the first 15 games (under 3 points for a win).

Be a bit realistic eh?

EDIT:
Correction: You've got to go back to 1949/50 to find a season where we got 30 points from the first 15 games AND GOT PROMOTION.

We got 31 points from the first 15 games in 94/95. And we finished 9th.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:01:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 30, 2016, 12:53:23 am by Sammy Chung was King »
With what will be half of a new squad, it's unlikely you just start off winning from the start. It will be gradually improving over the season, with us needing to be at our peak when the trophies are being handed out. Expect us to lose somewhere, that you expect us to win at, expect a disappointing point at a struggling team, but also expect a big win at a tough place, this will all happen early on.

As much as the manager hasn't convinced me, how could he getting a team more than good enough relegated?, he will need patience.
I will have to bite on something, to stop me wanting him sacked if we start badly. But if we want to do well, any manager needs time to improve things.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 30, 2016, 09:04:03 am by Chris Black come back »
A little concerning that some folk are already preparing excuses for him.

What else does he need to do the job?

This looks a piss poor league. We will almost certainly have the biggest budget in this league probably bar Portsmouth. He has had plenty of time in charge of the club (including taking us down last season) and has been given money to spend and has done so on seemingly good players, incredibly early. He will have a full pre-season with his chosen team (players he has chosen to buy or chosen to retain). No takeover shenanigans. Nothing to distract him from promotion.

We need to be in the top two at Christmas. That is not unrealistic folks.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:07:22 am by Chris Black come back »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 30, 2016, 11:02:38 am by steve@dcfd »
The last time we were in this league, although it was league 3, in 2003/2004 we won the league with 92 pts and after 15 games we had 29 pts. So I believe I am being realistic, as CBCB says we should be there. I sick of excuses and the average. Let's take the league by the scruff of the neck and by the end of the season have 99+ pts like the poor club of Northampton!!

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 30, 2016, 11:42:44 am by Sad-Rovers »
I'll be disappointed with anything less than the title to be honest. As CBCB says there are absolutely no excuses for him this time, he's been backed to the hilt and it'll definitely be his squad this season.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 30, 2016, 12:16:46 pm by Jonathan »
I'll be disappointed with anything less than the title to be honest. As CBCB says there are absolutely no excuses for him this time, he's been backed to the hilt and it'll definitely be his squad this season.

Really, if we were to end up getting promoted in one of the other slots and you could honestly say that were "disappointed", then I think you need to realign your priorities. Otherwise you'll struggle to get any enjoyment out of the years you have ahead of you supporting Rovers.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 30, 2016, 12:34:33 pm by Sad-Rovers »

Really, if we were to end up getting promoted in one of the other slots and you could honestly say that were "disappointed", then I think you need to realign your priorities. Otherwise you'll struggle to get any enjoyment out of the years you have ahead of you supporting Rovers.

I'm quite happy with my expectations to be honest. There's no way we should have been relegated with the squad we had, that much is certain. I'd imagine he will have the biggest budget in L2, he's an experienced manager at this level and will have a squad of his own making. It's not unreasonable to expect us to take the L2 title.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 30, 2016, 12:42:27 pm by Jonathan »

I'm quite happy with my expectations to be honest. There's no way we should have been relegated with the squad we had, that much is certain. I'd imagine he will have the biggest budget in L2, he's an experienced manager at this level and will have a squad of his own making. It's not unreasonable to expect us to take the L2 title.

Unfortunately the game is played on grass rather than paper, as all the teams with bigger budgets and more esteemed managers than Leicester found out. As all the teams that finished below the shambolic Northampton found out. Anyhow, expecting the title is one thing - that's just a reflection of your own evaluation of the possibilities. Finding yourself "disappointed" by anything else is another thing entirely. Hypothetically speaking, if we were to achieve promotion by any means then I think it would be an unfortunate minority of fans that would not feel compelled to enjoy it.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 30, 2016, 12:42:56 pm by The Red Baron »

I agree, Jonathan. The two occasions on which we've won a Divisional title in my 47 years as a fan, I wouldn't have backed us with counterfeit money before the season.

My expectations are top seven, and I'll be delighted with a top three finish.

MrWoodySir

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 30, 2016, 12:43:46 pm by MrWoodySir »
Exactly, huge pressure on him from the start.

Even ol' Fergie couldn't mess this up.... could he?  ;)

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 30, 2016, 12:56:46 pm by Sad-Rovers »

Unfortunately the game is played on grass rather than paper, as all the teams with bigger budgets and more esteemed managers than Leicester found out. As all the teams that finished below the shambolic Northampton found out. Anyhow, expecting the title is one thing - that's just a reflection of your own evaluation of the possibilities. Finding yourself "disappointed" by anything else is another thing entirely. Hypothetically speaking, if we were to achieve promotion by any means then I think it would be an unfortunate minority of fans that would not feel compelled to enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong I'll be happy with promotion, but my expectation based on his pedigree, the money the board have given him and his signings so far is the title. I still don't think I'm over us being relegated to be honest. The last two relegations we've gone through I'd reconciled with myself well in advance, I'd even had money on us to go down. This season I fully expected us to stay up, right until the Crewe game.

If we scrape up via the play offs I think I'd expect him to be sacked afterwards, as mad as that sounds.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012