Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:44:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England/Australia  (Read 2064 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
England/Australia
« on May 28, 2016, 01:57:56 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I thought we looked more solid defensively, albeit against quite an ordinary australia side. I was impressed with Aaron Mooy for them, did anybody see similarities, to Thomas Graveson, the way he used to play?. I thought he was by far the best aussie player.
Forster worries me when the ball goes back to him to feet, almost messed up there. His lack of mobility and distribution are problems.
Clyne looked very solid, better defensively than walker, as did Bertrand. They were both covering their centre backs better, worked more as a unit tonight. Though australia play very different from turkey, less technical, more old style english way of playing, a decent work out for facing wales.

Smalling and Stones after a shaky few opening minutes looked steady. Stones got stronger as the game went on. We made one defensive error in the game, and it ended up an own goal. Dier looked really low on confidence for some reason when he came on, surely he isn't going to leave him out of the squad?.
Wilshere looked a lot stronger, had more say in the game. Lallana just did a quite efficient job without standing out. I thought Drinkwater could count himself unlucky not to be man of the match, his link play was mostly spot on. Henderson, i don't rate that highly, but he looked better than in the previous game.

Sterling mostly flitted in and out of the game, but showed more bits of quality tonight. Rashford after that start did most things right, but here and there his touch let him down. After saying they shouldn't pick him in the squad, i now think there is no way you can't pick him!. Every squad should have a 'wildcard pick', Rashford is ours. Rooney looked better upfront than as a midfielder, but was that the standard of opposition?. The player i worry for is Ross Barkley, a certainty not long ago, now not so certain that he gets a seat on the plane.
Overall progress made tonight, although against a very different proposition than turkey were, totally different styles of play!. Portugal will give us a better idea of our standard, the ideal test for us!.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 03:58:29 am by Sammy Chung was King »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
Re: England/Australia
« Reply #1 on May 28, 2016, 07:09:40 am by 1879Rovers »
I never look to deeply into friendlies but I thought we looked nervous defensively against the Aussies, as we did against Turkey. I can't see the Portugal game telling us much. Those that are a shoe-in for the squad will be making sure they don't get injured.

As for the Euro's, with three going through, we should get out of the group but once again that will be it. We are an average team.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 28, 2016, 07:29:52 am by GazLaz »
We were poor defensively against a dreadful side.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 28, 2016, 07:32:06 am by tommy toes »
Yes the good teams will rip that defence apart. Smalling is a liability.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 28, 2016, 07:36:49 am by GazLaz »
The defence will be better when he plays Smalling and Cahil with Dier in front.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 28, 2016, 09:43:57 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Aye. A shit sarnie with mustard on is better than a shit sarnie.

With a bit of luck, we'll be eliminated by a bad refereeing decision against a moderate side. Because God help that defence if it comes up against a good one.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 28, 2016, 10:37:57 am by The Red Baron »

With a bit of luck, we'll be eliminated by a bad refereeing decision against a moderate side. Because God help that defence if it comes up against a good one.

I hope not because if, or rather when, we are eliminated I'd rather go out beaten by a decent side.

Otherwise people will still think we could have won it. I mean, there are people who maintain if Lampard's goal in 2010 had stood we'd have beaten the Germans.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 28, 2016, 10:43:03 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I was being ironic TRB. I meant that I "hope" that happens because then the myth that we are remotely competitive can stumble onto the next tournament.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 28, 2016, 12:46:43 pm by RoversAlias »

I hope not because if, or rather when, we are eliminated I'd rather go out beaten by a decent side.

Otherwise people will still think we could have won it. I mean, there are people who maintain if Lampard's goal in 2010 had stood we'd have beaten the Germans.

Those people must have really bad memories. We were absolutely battered from start to finish in that match. Ozil skinning Barry for one of their goals was hilarious.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012