Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:13:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Chaplow gone  (Read 6762 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Chaplow gone
« on June 28, 2016, 05:37:49 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Activated his clause.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversontheup

• VSC Member
Re: Chaplow gone
« Reply #1 on June 28, 2016, 05:41:46 pm by roversontheup »
Can't say I'm too upset. For me he never lived up to all the hype about him

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 28, 2016, 05:42:18 pm by Retdon1 »
Good news, he's was on decent money and was poor last season

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 28, 2016, 05:42:48 pm by Copps is Magic »
Showed glimpses but not consistent enough. Terrible discipline on the pitch.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 28, 2016, 05:45:28 pm by Upton Rover »
Would have been good for L2 but wont be missed. When ever he played he was always distracted by family members in West stand

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 28, 2016, 05:51:27 pm by TheFunk »
Supposedly one of the top 10 earners in league 1 last season and our second highest after Williams.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 28, 2016, 05:56:08 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Could do with another midfielder now for me.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 28, 2016, 06:25:23 pm by dknward2 »
Df has said if he was gonna go then he would have to get another midfielder in

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 28, 2016, 06:26:13 pm by Donnywolf »
Could do with another midfielder now for me.
You aren't going as well are you ? Rats / Sinking ship spring to mind !

No course not "the only way is up "

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 28, 2016, 06:46:16 pm by glosterred »
Would have been good for L2 ......

He should have been good on L1 but wasn't

COYR

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 28, 2016, 08:02:41 pm by coventryrover »
Well I thank him whilst been in the hoops.  Gl for the future

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 28, 2016, 08:06:33 pm by drfchound »
He was seen by many of us to be a really good signing when he joined us.
Lots of raving about him, including film clips of his highlights.

I wonder whether we will be slating some of the signings we have made this summer by this time next year?
So far all i have seen are high ratings for all of the signings.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 28, 2016, 08:25:22 pm by NickDRFC »
Possibly fans might change their mind on this summer's signings, but nobody comes with anywhere near the reputation Chaplow had, with his entire career in the top two divisions save for a season running Southampton's midfield in their title winning season in League One. If some of the other players disappoint this year, they will no doubt be criticised, but I for one would struggle to be as disappointed with them as Chaplow just because of the chasm between what I thought we were getting and what actually turned out for us.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 28, 2016, 08:26:21 pm by Copps is Magic »
Aye. But history doesn't just go back a year. If you go back to the seasons we did well we probably raved about the signings then. So it doesn't really prove anything.

All part of being a fan really, you get excited when new blood come in because there is uncertainty about how they will play.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 28, 2016, 08:29:22 pm by Chris Black come back »
A mystery signing. Down in the history books alongside Matt Kilgallon, the Roberts guy who signed for us one week and left for Chesterfield the next, Harry Forrester and err, Chris Black.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 28, 2016, 08:30:13 pm by drfchound »
I am not arguing for for against it CiM, just making an observation.
I too am looking on the up side of things for the new season despite still needing some convincing that DF is the right man to run the show.
I will back him all the way but didnt rate what he did (or didnt) do for us last season.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 28, 2016, 09:59:06 pm by jonnydog »
Could've done better, but then again so could the WHOLE of our team last season!!

Shame it didn't work out, but he did gave us that winner against t'Dingles at home.

I wish him all the best and luck for the future.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 28, 2016, 11:06:03 pm by Danmckay456 »
Excellent news , a promising left back brought in and by the sound of it a replacement with probably a few quid left over from what he was on a week , No doubt he will be stealing a wage somewhere else soon

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 28, 2016, 11:43:33 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Lack of motivation, for me would be my guess with him. Playing for us was just another on the way out of his career. He achieved what he wanted to at bigger clubs.
 That's why i agree with going for young hungry players, who want to achieve something. You can't have all of that type, but it makes for a stronger dressing room, going down that route!.
 A few big named players, for a team like us, have been a letdown. It's not just us it happens at all clubs, i for one thought he would be a cracking signing, it just didn't work out.
 I wish him good luck for his next move, his wage might pay for another younger midfielder, and a good loan signing, so both parties win.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 29, 2016, 03:08:01 am by Sad-Rovers »
Chaplow gone

Some might say he never turned up.

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 29, 2016, 09:24:12 am by Mustapha-Dump »
Best bit of business all summer, I can only hope he never darkens our door again

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 29, 2016, 09:46:36 am by Alan Southstand »
By the time the season kicks off, we will be without the vast majority of all the signings made by PD last season. (Stuckmann, Main and N'Guessan all waiting to find another Club). It makes you wonder just how he came up with his list in the first place.

And, before anyone chimes in, yes I know a few people thought some of the signings looked good on paper, but I would counter that with the fact that I'll bet there were also quite a few who thought we'd not really signed anyone of note.

Comparing our signings last season with this summer's in-comings, I'll go on record as saying I am optimistic of our chances this coming season. I reckon with another good, solid midfielder addition, coupled with a couple of real quality long-term loans, we should be a match for anyone.

Looking at some of our rivals this season, you can readily see who, on paper, are going to provide us with stiff opposition, as there have been quite a few shrewd signings made elsewhere in this division.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 29, 2016, 10:42:51 am by wing commander »
   Chaplow was a terrible disappointment wasn't he..On reflection I fear he was another Sheridan,happy to trade on his past reputation while picking up decent wages for not a lot in return.If a player fails because he isn't good enough that's one thing but to fail when you have his talent is unforgivable.. So I'm glad he has gone....
    As for the new signings we will have to wait and see how they gel..i'm sure there will be successes and disappointments too...The forums of their past clubs all say they are good but not that good,but its all about how they fit together....I for one am just happy that for once,we have returned to training with the squad in place, so we can actually have done the work on the training ground on set pieces,formations etc etc before we kick off, rather that throw a squad together a week before the season starts like normal...

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 29, 2016, 10:43:10 pm by pib »
Remember watching him for Saints v us in the Championship and thinking what a cracking player he looked.  A midfielder with a bit of everything to his game.

When he played for us he looked like a Sunday league player who'd won a prize most of the time.  Must be one of those players who's career nosedives before they reach their supposed peak age.  A mystery.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 30, 2016, 01:22:41 am by Sammy Chung was King »
What do people get, if they comment on a player negatively, before he plays for us?, stick and lot's of it. The signings we have made this summer, probably one at least won't work out, that's football, even the best scouts pick players that don't work out.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 30, 2016, 12:49:42 pm by DRNaith »
What do people get, if they comment on a player negatively, before he plays for us?, stick and lot's of it. The signings we have made this summer, probably one at least won't work out, that's football, even the best scouts pick players that don't work out.

...and then those players could move on and find form again.

This is all part of what makes football so attractive to millions of people. If footballers were all accurately priced, robotically consistent drones that meant a team got a player exactly at the level they played for, there would be no "romance" of the FA Cup and Leicester would not be Premier league champions.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:11:20 pm by DRNaith »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 30, 2016, 01:41:00 pm by IDM »
precisely.. I though Chaplow came to us with a decent pedigree, but alas he underperformed most of the time..

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 01, 2016, 12:53:01 am by Sammy Chung was King »

...and then those players could move on and find form again.

This is all part of what makes football so attractive to millions of people. If footballers were all accurately priced, robotically consistent drones that meant a team got a player exactly at the level they played for, there would be no "romance" of the FA Cup and Leicester would not be Premier league champions.

True, The personalities just don't mix, the player goes elsewhere, everything fits, and you get a different player, football is a weird, wonderful but simple game.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 01, 2016, 09:32:52 am by The Red Baron »
I've heard we might not be talking to him any more. You know, sending him to a city in the Midlands.

bigdonnybob

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 02, 2016, 07:42:21 pm by bigdonnybob »
The same bloke, last game of the season, signed my grandsons program on the way in, then came straight back out and presented him with his signed "away" shirt. It made my grandsons season complete.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012