Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:19:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Derek Blackham (Newyankee) Memorial Fund  (Read 17591 times)

ballysbackin

Re: The Derek Blackham (Newyankee) Memorial Fund
« Reply #30 on October 04, 2016, 10:56:57 am by ballysbackin »
Update please and I hope the club is doing the plaque thing for free as it would be nice to set up a trophy or summat for young players coming through ?

Hoola, firstly I can give you an update but at the moment we are waiting for Donna, The money needed has been achieved and it is with my personal thanks that I thank you and everybody who has contributed, also I wish to Thank Martin and the Directors of The V.S.C. for being the holding bank (in as many words). That made life a lot easier for me. Donna is aware of the requirements and I am waiting for them, the wording for the brick for the Stadium wall was easy and Martin has that, as soon as Donna gets to me I can then advise Martin who will place the orders with Liam Scully who also should be recognised as a true gentleman in this issue and has pulled out all the stops, in addition there are employees of the club who I am not aware of that made it possible for Derek's picture to appear on the giant score board versus Newport.

I can tell you that the words at the bottom of the plaque will be " From Friends of the V.S.C." or as close as can be....Then I have a slight problem to deal with but it is one that needs everybodies participation after the plaque and brick are in place.

Thank you

Mick

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 08, 2016, 06:49:15 pm by hoolahoop »
Well done Mick .....Derek would have been proud of you. Hopefully Donna will be able to see it one day and be treated to all that the club can offer in terms ofor hospitality.
Certainly miss him and the chat we would have had on Monday would be very interesting

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on October 15, 2016, 01:35:04 pm by roversdude »
So glad we've managed to raise enough to remember a true Rover well done to everyone who contributed

ballysbackin

« Reply #33 on October 15, 2016, 05:06:01 pm by ballysbackin »
Yes, many thanks......Things are moving as we speak and you will all be kept abreast of what is happening and the future plans.. Derek will be happy today another three points. Donna states that he had to die before Donny would start to go back up, but at least he can help these days I told her. She enjoyed the thought.  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on October 16, 2016, 09:57:48 am by hoolahoop »
Last conversation I had with him was along the lines of " we will go up " - who am I to question him ?
He would have been delighted with all the recent wins but doubtless not best pleased about the manner of yesterday's win. He will make sure that won't happen again and will be analysing the game up there right now with a customary joke right at the end. Strange how you can miss someone you never met though  😔

Thanks for keeping us upto date with all the news Mick.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 10:30:14 am by hoolahoop »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on October 16, 2016, 10:11:08 am by Bentley Bullet »
True Hoola. I miss him, yet never met him.The site has lost one of its true characters. He possessed strong views, and wasn't afraid to express them, but more importantly he had respect, something very much lacking by some on here.

A few chats through PM's showed he had a heart of gold.

ballysbackin

« Reply #36 on November 03, 2016, 11:06:58 am by ballysbackin »
Martin and myself have today received confirmation from Liam Scully that the Brick and the Plaque are now on order and delivery is around four weeks, there will be another announcement from Martin or myself when they are in place for "Moments of Reflection "to take place.

Again Thank you to everybody who had a Battle of Whits or playful Banter with Derek. :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair:

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on November 05, 2016, 02:30:52 pm by Alickismyhero »
I too miss the emails and phone calls discussing the rights and wrongs of the Rovers from Derek. We had a realistic friendship not one were we agreed on all things because there were times we went hammer and tongs at each other. But I am pleased to say that when that poisonous take over had gone we kissed and made up.

RIP Derek this is your season.

Good job Bally.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on November 16, 2016, 08:18:39 pm by roversdude »
Bally thanks for update - never (knowingly) met Derek but feel his loss
Good effort everyone who chipped in too

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on November 20, 2016, 12:33:00 am by hoolahoop »
I too miss the emails and phone calls discussing the rights and wrongs of the Rovers from Derek. We had a realistic friendship not one were we agreed on all things because there were times we went hammer and tongs at each other. But I am pleased to say that when that poisonous take over had gone we kissed and made up.

RIP Derek this is your season.

Good job Bally.

Yep definitely Derek's season - he will be smiling at the way the season is going however he did say he thought we wouldo go up auto. I aim to keep him at his word . Lol

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on November 20, 2016, 03:50:33 pm by silent majority »
The first part of the memorial to Derek, his name plaque mounted on the Keepmoat wall, is now complete as you can see in the photo.

ballysbackin

« Reply #41 on November 20, 2016, 07:01:05 pm by ballysbackin »
Martin

Thank you for all your hard work on this. And thank you everybody else concerned. I shall nip down tomorrow or Tuesday and photograph. Will send Donna an e-mail and several hard copies

Thank you

Mick Ball

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on November 22, 2016, 01:09:06 am by hoolahoop »
Nice one that's really fitting - he would have loved that . What is the 2nd part going to be ?

ballysbackin

« Reply #43 on November 22, 2016, 09:54:21 am by ballysbackin »
Hoola.  It is a plaque within the Memorial Garden. If you look in there there are several names you may know. Then we have to talk about the way forward within such appeals as their  no doubt will be some

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on November 27, 2016, 12:44:08 am by hoolahoop »
Thanks bally will grab a look didn't manage it today as was at egg chasing in Thorne ( works my dates out wrong ! ) . Still it was fun and ended up in a bloodbath now Derek would have laughed at that.

I think it's difficult with this memorial thing and I would hate for the VSC or the club to see it as a precedent - it was just summat organised by a few mates for someone quite special as well as so far away. Though it did seem at times that he was ringing from Hyde Park on some such area the way he was tuned into every thing not just Rovers but Rugby League and Donny as well . It was uncanny , he was telling me things I should have known ! Lol

ballysbackin

« Reply #45 on December 02, 2016, 04:44:51 pm by ballysbackin »
JUST AN UPDATE;

I have been to Keepmoat this afternoon to check on Memorial Garden ref Derek's plaque...Not there yet...Martin or I will keep you posted.  Donna also waiting for set of pictures to go over for family too

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on December 03, 2016, 10:48:16 am by silent majority »
Mick, we need to send this to Donna.

ballysbackin

« Reply #47 on December 03, 2016, 09:30:54 pm by ballysbackin »
That really will bring tears to her eyes I know, but Derek deserves the recognition, albeit after his death, I will PM you after weekend to sort collection and when plaque is done will send everything  at once.. Thank you and Thank you to everybody involved

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on December 10, 2016, 02:30:59 am by hoolahoop »
That's really nice , I would love  one too - sorry if that sounds a tad morbid . He would have loved it 😀

ballysbackin

« Reply #49 on December 10, 2016, 10:24:23 am by ballysbackin »
Hoola... When they are in place and I take pics if you PM me and arrange a meet I will give you a set of them. Not a Prob - WE just all waiting now to be told it is done.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on December 10, 2016, 03:29:04 pm by hoolahoop »
Thanks bally, everyone has done a great job for him . He would be embarrassed but extremely proud I'm sure.

ballysbackin

« Reply #51 on December 19, 2016, 03:57:00 pm by ballysbackin »
Been this morning, only just been done but here it is,  Thanks  Mick

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on December 20, 2016, 06:02:37 pm by roversdude »
Great work Martin, Bally et al

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on December 24, 2016, 02:33:43 am by hoolahoop »
Superb thanks Mick, Martin and all athe the club and of course the members of the VSC.

ballysbackin

« Reply #54 on January 06, 2017, 10:24:53 pm by ballysbackin »
I have just printed and sent four sets of photos to Donna for her's and Derek's family, Martin has sent the official certificate and also gone was a picture I sent of the big screen with the list of all departed that had their names submitted. The Job is Done and The Book is Closed. Just a point in that Donna in her New Year's Wish to me told me that on 31st December her furnace blew up, needing to be replaced in the basement at their home.. Derek just letting her know he was keeping her on her toes...ha ha.. I would respectively ask that this thread be closed and moved to another list for VSC Members only on another page. No disrespect for Derek but he would be well aware that he will never be forgotten and this season he will be up there in the Big Stands, it should also be mentioned that the goal against Stevenage was not The Black Bank sucking it over the line it was Derek just giving it a little kick,, Thank you Derek..They all count.

Mick Ball

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on January 06, 2017, 11:16:26 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I have just printed and sent four sets of photos to Donna for her's and Derek's family, Martin has sent the official certificate and also gone was a picture I sent of the big screen with the list of all departed that had their names submitted. The Job is Done and The Book is Closed. Just a point in that Donna in her New Year's Wish to me told me that on 31st December her furnace blew up, needing to be replaced in the basement at their home.. Derek just letting her know he was keeping her on her toes...ha ha.. I would respectively ask that this thread be closed and moved to another list for VSC Members only on another page. No disrespect for Derek but he would be well aware that he will never be forgotten and this season he will be up there in the Big Stands, it should also be mentioned that the goal against Stevenage was not The Black Bank sucking it over the line it was Derek just giving it a little kick,, Thank you Derek..They all count.

Mick Ball

I hope the cheeky bugger wasn't offside!

God Bless.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on January 07, 2017, 07:19:53 am by hoolahoop »
I vote that this thread stays just where it is until promotion is assured then and only then can we take it down .
I would hate for our season to implode rather like the furnace exploded for Donna - would it be tempting fate and perhaps it could be "locked " rather than moved elsewhere.
Besides I find it comforting where it is unless of course others disagree ? Either way I'm happy just getting a tad soft in my old age.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on January 07, 2017, 09:41:34 am by RedJ »
I don't think it should be moved out of sight. People who are non-VSC members will have contributed to this fund as well, remember.

ballysbackin

« Reply #58 on January 07, 2017, 12:43:30 pm by ballysbackin »
Steve and RedJ ------------------ Not a problem at all I am merely gauging people's feelings about the thread, I discuss some time ago with Martin which way we should go with this issue and because of impending similar issues. I am very happy for it to stay in sight on this page but was wishing to get other people's vision rather than just it placed on another thread. 2/2 says it all and as you say Steve, I am happy to go along with others. I did have an idea regarding it but until I see a copy of the minutes of the AGM I will just wait.. I also think BB Derek was not offside, he would certainly have made sure that he was not seen anyway.  :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on January 09, 2017, 06:10:25 am by hoolahoop »
Thank you Mick and the VSC. Of course although some may have been wary of setting precedents ; there may be other members who we would honour in such a way too in future.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012