Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:24:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Have to feel sorry for Blackpool  (Read 9458 times)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Re: Have to feel sorry for Blackpool
« Reply #30 on October 26, 2016, 09:41:02 am by bobjimwilly »
And still if the Oyston's decide they don't want to sell, what's the alternative?

fan ownership aka the portsmouth model

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 26, 2016, 09:53:49 am by silent majority »
Rigo, I do wish that you would read up on a few things before launching a defence of the indefensible.

The club at Blackpool is split into two, there is the playing side of the club with very little assets and then there is a property company which owns the stadium. The Oystons of course own the property company. The rebuilding work at Bloomfield Road was carried out by Oystons companies and when they ran out of money large sums were borrowed from Belakon, a 20% owner of the club. He is still waiting for repayment despite the large sums taken out of the club in salary by Oystons.

The club were bottom of Lg1 when Belakon came into the club, and he financed the rise to the Premiership with Ian Holloway. He's still waiting for that to be repaid too.

Then there is the case of the money taken out. In one particular instance the club owned a piece of land next to the South Stand, they sold it to Oystons for £600k and a year later the club bought it back for £6.5m! Then, despite their notorious wage cap for all players whilst in the Prem Oystons paid himself a salary of about £20m, although the initial accounts showed a salary of £11m.

The business model is simple, the playing side drives the revenues which are then transferred to the property side, owned by the Oystons. When the revenues are not there they starve the club of funds, hence the fall through the leagues back to where they Oystons found them. Meanwhile the Oystons sit back on their assets and their property company, hotel included, whilst the supporters are completely ignored, or sued, or banned depending on their mood.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 26, 2016, 11:49:59 am by Colemans Left Hook »
you are bringing back memories of "scarborough holdings" full stop.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on October 26, 2016, 06:54:40 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I'd say the club has had a very clear direction for the past five years. And it's not upwards.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on October 26, 2016, 07:22:31 pm by BobG »
Jesus SM! I didn't realise it was as bad, and as blatant, as that. Just what the chuff do the FA and FL think they are there for? For 20 years now I've failed to grasp their purpose. The FA's Charter says, explicitly, that one of its roles is 'to protect the game at all levels'. I assume therefore that no one on the FA Board this last 20 or 30 years has ever been able to read.  They're certainly all stone deaf too. If I was a younger and more Active Blackpool supporter I'd be tempted to suggest they abandon the club to the Oystons and go off to support a replacement Phoenix club.  They'd have more fun, they'd control their own destiny and they have multiplying precedents to follow too these days.

BobG

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on October 26, 2016, 07:27:32 pm by The Red Baron »
A lot of Blackpool fans appear to have decamped to AFC Fylde.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on October 26, 2016, 09:28:59 pm by BobG »
Good for them. As of now I have a very soft spot for AFC Fylde.

Come on you Fylde! Don't really ring right does it? Sod it. Come on you Fylde!

BobG

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on October 26, 2016, 10:39:29 pm by Pancho Regan »
Rigo, how can you possibly say "I refuse to get into Oyston bashing" and then go on to virtually condoning their behaviour, when all the evidence is stacked against them?

Surely any decent football fan would recognise how badly the Oyston family have acted during their tenure of Blackpool FC?
If the Blackpool fans oppose them, surely that's a pretty good indicator?

Or do you know better?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 27, 2016, 09:59:11 am by NickDRFC »
Rigo, how can you possibly say "I refuse to get into Oyston bashing" and then go on to virtually condoning their behaviour, when all the evidence is stacked against them?

Surely any decent football fan would recognise how badly the Oyston family have acted during their tenure of Blackpool FC?
If the Blackpool fans oppose them, surely that's a pretty good indicator?

Or do you know better?

He's not a football fan, let alone a decent one.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on October 27, 2016, 06:30:12 pm by silent majority »
I'm not condoning, or condemning, anyone. I'm only pointing out that the club has had success during their ownership of it - a bit more than your average lower league club, too.

Maybe, if Blackpool fans decamp en masse to AFC Fylde and they become the 'big' club in that region, that will make the Oyston Family think differently about their ownership in the long-term. Who knows?

Yes Rigo, but its in spite of, and not because of, their ownership.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 27, 2016, 06:50:40 pm by bpoolrover »
You won't get that many going to afc fylde as its closer to Preston than it is Blackpool and it has a Preston post code

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on October 27, 2016, 07:04:42 pm by silent majority »
Bad business practice is one thing, dodgy dealings is a completely different world. Most clubs, one way or the other, get found out at some point and with the current focus on good governance then woe betide anybody attempting that. Ask Sam Allardyce.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:09:40 pm by silent majority »

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 27, 2016, 07:06:52 pm by bpoolrover »
You could say same for Sepp blatter Fifa president for 17 years but was he any good

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on October 27, 2016, 07:09:08 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
So, the 'success' of playing in the Premier League outweighs the real cost of 'achieving' it, and furthermore means that no one should have the right to complain about the shit they're now in because of the underhand business methods of their owners?

"Why are you moaning that your club is being asset-stripped and run into the ground - you were in the Premier League once, shut up and be grateful for past glories"

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on October 27, 2016, 07:14:06 pm by bpoolrover »
He didnt get them to the premier league he wouldn't even pay for Charlie Adam the main reason they got there,belekon did

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on October 27, 2016, 07:19:53 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
So, the 'success' of playing in the Premier League outweighs the real cost of 'achieving' it, and furthermore means that no one should have the right to complain about the shit they're now in because of the underhand business methods of their owners?

"Why are you moaning that your club is being asset-stripped and run into the ground - you were in the Premier League once, shut up and be grateful for past glories"

If DRFC had got to the Premier League instead of Blackpool back in the 2009/10 season, I don't think many people would have complained too much.

Lets face it, the wage budgets weren't that far apart back then, when compared against the other teams in the division such as Newcastle, West Brom, Ipswich, etc.

But if DRFC had done it using the dodgy methods that would have left us where Blackpool are now, would you still be saying that we should shut up and accept it even though nobody knew what was really going on to get us into the Premier League in the first place?

And that we should be happy the the people who had done that to DRFC were still in control of the club?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on October 27, 2016, 08:07:45 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
No, the problem is that Blackpool are run by a bunch of cowboys.

And a fleeting bit of punching above their weight doesn't alter the fact that the people running them are cowboys, no matter how much you try to play the 'everybody's doing it' card. I'd love to see you say that to DRFC's current ownership's face though.

EDIT That must mean you think that JR was up to stuff he shouldn't have been. Care to elaborate or are you all piss and wind as usual?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:13:21 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on October 27, 2016, 10:10:22 pm by Draytonian III »
For who dislikes Doncaster Rovers Football Club so much Rigo spends an awful lot of time trawling this forum and adding snippets of bile to it .
Now I await his normal snide reply, things like no one else knows the workings of a football club, worked for a football club, etc etc

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on October 27, 2016, 10:26:54 pm by Pancho Regan »
So you don't think that some dodgy business practices were going on at DRFC in the same era, and quite probably the majority of other clubs in the league?

The problem is Blackpool achieved against the odds and then rapidly declined, which meant everyone started falling out with each other, chucking solicitors letters about, and they became more newsworthy for off-field events, rather than on-field events.

You cannot possibly equate 'business practices' at DRFC to those at Blackpool during this time.

The Oystens.....well, Google it. They cannot compare to the stewardship of our club over the last 10 years. It's nothing to do with achieving against the odds then tumbling back down.

Anyway, why am I bothering?

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on October 28, 2016, 07:37:14 am by Muttley »

Anyway, again, if Karl Oyston's so bad, why is he regarded so highly by the Football League?

I think that says quite a lot about the Football League!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on October 28, 2016, 12:55:50 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Anyway, again, if Karl Oyston's so bad, why is he regarded so highly by the Football League?

Law of attraction.

It explains Rigo's regard too.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on October 28, 2016, 01:39:25 pm by bpoolrover »
The same football league that banned him from the ground for calling a fan a retard

TinyPortal © 2005-2012