Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:18:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brighton: Championship club announce £25.9m financial loss for 2015-16  (Read 3847 times)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38251262

"Brighton say they remain compliant with Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations, which permit a club's losses to reach an aggregate of £39m over a three-season period"

The figure is a substantial increase on the previous year, when the Seagulls recorded a loss of £10.44m.

think they need a FLORIDA style count to keep below 39m next year .

when they don't go up this year it will be trouble at mill

We forget DRFC is a club run by "people of substance" not gambling on a "pack of cards" remember Aces aren't always high

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

les@donr

• Forum Member
You would think Brighton would have learnt lessons from their past.

BobG

• VSC Member
Re: Brighton: Championship club announce £25.9m financial loss for 2015-16
« Reply #2 on December 08, 2016, 09:39:10 pm by BobG »
Crikey. That's eye watering. And scary given the size of crowd they draw. Theyre hardly a poorly supported club are they?!

BobG

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
I hope that gamble is NEVER taken with our club...

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
I hope that gamble is NEVER taken with our club...

I think you can rest assured it won't !

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
They have to get promotion otherwise next season will be one of cost cutting.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 09, 2016, 08:04:35 am by GazLaz »
Tony Bloom and co will just cover the debts.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
Tony Bloom and co will just cover the debts.

who exactly are the "and co" ???  as for the first named person above --  how do you earn so much money from a pack of cards ???

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
The main beneficiaries will be those financial bodies who are earning interest whilst they service the debt.

The football people ride the wave and enjoy the glory whilst it lasts. When it all caves in, all you have left is the fans the pick up the pieces.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
The main beneficiaries will be those financial bodies who are earning interest whilst they service the debt.

The football people ride the wave and enjoy the glory whilst it lasts. When it all caves in, all you have left is the fans the pick up the pieces.

we've all heard of non performing teams on the pitch how long before Brighton have "non performing loans" don't think they can do a Leicester get to 100 million in debt and the owners "effectively" convert it into shares

a Leeds victory tonight would do nicely  that news has put a lot of pressure on them

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
If they achieve promotion to the Premier League, that figure will mean nothing when compared against the millions upon millions of pounds they'll generate just from being in the top flight.

I've considered them to be something as a sleeping giant ever since they moved into their new stadium; their attendances prove they can be a massive club, but that doesn't hide the fact that they've took a massive gamble in trying to effectively 'buy' promotion.

If it pays off, is it then justified? Hmmm...

Personally I think it would be justified if they go up, but only because there is now so much money thrown at every Premier League club. Teams should not do what Brighton have done here to reach the promised land but for the ones that do, now is a better time than ever to do so. Doing this in the past really crippled some clubs - look at Bolton now, it happened to Hull before the Allams bailed them out, I'm sure there are more examples of the dream going sour.

Brighton have everything in place to be a good Premier League side. The stadium, infrastructure, ownership and playing/coaching staff are all top drawer, but they have been knocking on the door a few years now without making that final crucial step.

Drfc1996

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 10, 2016, 01:59:08 pm by Drfc1996 »
Sounds like a financial disaster waiting to happen

I'd much rather have Brammal, Watson and Blunt than people putting gambling the club like that

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
I would be surprised if they are the only one's in this kind of debt. There must be six to eight sides in the Championship in the same situation-gambling that they can get promoted.
It's risky but without risks in life you rarely achieve what you want to. Their situation is different to ours. They get good crowds and have been very close for a few years so it's a calculated risk.
For us to have done it to that degree when Sean was in charge would have been stupidity. I still think if we had added Shackell we would have got close that season. Beyond signing him on top of what we had it wouldn't have been possible to have signed any more.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 16, 2016, 12:40:54 am by albie »
There is a detailed financial breakdown of the Brighton gamble, and comparative figures for other Championship sides, in the Swiss Ramble;
The Swiss Ramble

A weekly loss of £500k seems a reckless gamble to me, but then I don't have that kind of money to burn.

Poker eh... who would have thought it could turn a fella's head!

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
perhaps the Premiership should be renamed the

"Tardis Premiership" after Dr. Who so they can fit all these Championship teams inside who have notions of grandeur

Don't forget Carlisle & Northampton even Dingles dad day return tickets there

silent majority

• VSC Member
The most telling figure for me is this one;

Adding the £80 million that Bloom has funded via share capital (including the debt conversions) to the £171 million of debt means that Bloom has put in a total of £251 million – that’s a cool quarter of a billion.

Just pause to let that sink in for a moment. One. Quarter. Of. A. Billion. Pounds.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 16, 2016, 11:45:28 pm by BobG »
I wonder where the tax write offs associated with those losses are going?

BobG

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 17, 2016, 11:41:57 am by Drover »
Maybe Bloom has got his Poker face on to the Football league with the FFP rules?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012