Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:08:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: from Pompy site  (Read 11560 times)

the vicar

• Forum Member
from Pompy site
« on January 05, 2017, 11:04:48 pm by the vicar »
where does this lad get them from
Gulf_of_Tonking Posted on 05/01/2017 22:01
Played well on TV for once...   Edited On: 05/01/2017 22:02
Report Message | Email Message To A Friend | Reply To Message

I thought we were the best team tonight. 12 corners to 3 confirms this.
You can tell that Donny have recently played in a higher league - and they were sharper with their finishing , and are very lucky to have the contacts with Ferguson to get 3 top loanees - and remember this is their best home form for 5 years or more.

We just need someone to score some goals, and a good right back, and a decent keeper

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Superspy

• VSC Member
Re: from Pompy site
« Reply #1 on January 05, 2017, 11:06:19 pm by Superspy »
lol, I love the fact that his measure of who played the best is who had the most corners. I'm not sure how a managerial selection process that took several weeks can be classed as "very lucky" though.

ballysbackin

« Reply #2 on January 05, 2017, 11:11:12 pm by ballysbackin »
Dave.. He probably said that at Fratton Pk as well.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 05, 2017, 11:32:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Portsmouth played well. On that performance they'd beat most teams in this league however we were resiliant and ruthless with the finishing.

That standard of football would hold it's own in League One easily.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:16:00 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 05, 2017, 11:44:59 pm by RobTheRover »
The Locals Arent Happy. . . . .

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 05, 2017, 11:56:50 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
All the Pompey Twitter post game comments that referred to us. Enjoy being the Brazil of the league whilst it lasts!

"simply not good enough tonight. Poor defending punished by a good side. Donny go up for me - so 2 auto spots for Blues to play for"

"We worked very hard tonight for no return,Donny organised and clinical."

"Doncaster were the better side. Stop thinking of excuses. I'm over it!"

"You were the better side tonight. Good luck for the rest of the season. Hope your goalkeeper has a speedy recovery."

"Doncaster better team tonight, ..."

"Beaten by the better team tonight, however we didn't play badly. "

"No way #doncaster don't win the league, easily the best team we've played this season. "

"Lost to the best team in the league tonight"

"Only 2nd defeat in 11 and 1st in 9 away from home. Hardly worth a Meltdown. Donny are top for a reason & 3-1 flattered them. "

"Doncaster so clinical and our centre backs couldn't mark a white board. Seething. "

"Well that was decidedly terrible. Totally outplayed by the team that will win the league. Uncharacteristically useless defending."

"Lost to the better team, frustrating but we move on "

"Not the worst performance ever. 3 mistakes at the back and no option up front cost us. "

"Could perhaps have been different if Merosi doesn't make a stunning save right after Doncaster scored but need to be more clinical! "

"Not much difference between #DRFC & #Pompey, other than Donny have a striker who can score and Pompey defend like school boys!"

"Donny had two shots in the second half, two goals, shows the difference in this league "

"most of the play, no firepower #pompey and crap ref"

"2 moments of madness at the back but we more than held our own against Doncaster. Chin up, roll on next week"

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 05, 2017, 11:57:14 pm by RobTheRover »
Cook isn't happy now either. Claims his players were too arrogant.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/cook-slams-pompey-arrogance-1-7760505

Apparently our 2nd and 3rd were cheap goals to concede. Paul,  me owd cocker, how about showing your players how not to be arrogant and say they were fantastic goals?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 06, 2017, 12:05:11 am by Filo »

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/cook-slams-pompey-arrogance-1-7760505

Apparently our 2nd and 3rd were cheap goals to concede. Paul,  me owd cocker, how about showing your players how not to be arrogant and say they were fantastic goals?

When you read comments like that, you know they've just had their arse smacked 😀

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 06, 2017, 12:09:05 am by BobG »
Well, what do they expect? They'd got 3 Rovers rejects in their squad tonight and another one hanging about backstage.

BobG

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 06, 2017, 12:20:17 am by RobTheRover »
That's the only regret for me tonight,  Bob. That we didn't get a chant of "We want Curtis Main,  we want Curtis Main"  going. Lol

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 06, 2017, 12:21:27 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Sort of redresses the balance after the Kitson game but it was a great game between two good teams.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 06, 2017, 12:38:59 am by Akinfenwa »
Portsmouth are probably the best team in the league at dominating territory and ball possession. Unfortunately for them, sometimes that alone may not be enough to win points in the 4th tier.

Tonight we exploited their weaknesses more ruthlessly and effectively than they exploited ours. Fergie going with two up front in the second half helped in that regard, giving their defence more to worry about when we hit them on the counter.

In the end, our best players delivered when it mattered and theirs didn't.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 06, 2017, 12:50:18 am by Copps is Magic »
Their fans are a credit, great support for a Thursday night on the telly and easily the best team we've played at the keepmoat this season.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 06, 2017, 02:21:10 am by Sammy Chung was King »
They had an edge on possession that's the only thing that made it any sort of contest. They are a very good side with enough ability to take care of most teams in this league.
Nobody in this league or any of the bottom half in the league above would have lived with us tonight. Marquis was a total menace tonight, the only sad thing was that more Doncaster people didn't see it live. If Portsmouth were playing like we are their ground would be jam packed full.

The attendance is what it is though. The positive is that they brought a decent few a long way and around five thousand Donny people laid out money to watch it. Plus people watching sky in countries all around the world saw what was a fourth division game that in my opinion would take some beating in any other country.
 No wonder people are tripping over themselves to invest in our football. Every match is a saga and to the supporters the starting or ending of the world for ninety minutes at least!.

chave

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 06, 2017, 06:14:59 am by chave »
Pompey fan here. No complaints with the result, you were too good for us. Ironically, the first half when we were losing one nil was one of our better performances. We worked hard to close down against a good side and did well to get back into it by half time. The difference was you were more clinical. The two second half goals were cheap from a defensive perspective but both taken brilliantly.

You switched it up when you needed to and changed formation, we didn't. You were more direct and took your chances, and we didn't. You kept working throughout and, we didn't. I'm not too disappointed; our season wasn't going to be defined by last night but by whether we can beat teams like Barnet or Wycombe today. However it has shown us what we should be, and why we've been in this league for four years.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 06, 2017, 07:24:48 am by RobTheRover »
That's a good assessment,  Chave.  Our work rate is top notch.

Good luck for the rest of the season. And for what it's worth,  I think Plymouth will blow up and you will get auto promotion.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 06, 2017, 07:38:48 am by hoolahoop »

Arrogance personified surprised at Paul Cook really . I thought the Pompey team played well against a team on form and at home.
I certainly never sensed any arrogance from their players but he will have talked to them post match . There was little they could do against an irrepressible Rovers last night. I definitely see promotion for them too on that performance.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 06, 2017, 07:58:24 am by GazLaz »
We would t be happy if we conceded a goal like Rowes. It was like an unopposed training session. Can't let teams play through you like that. Excellent by us to capitalise but poor by them. Someone else said it on here somewhere, we were better than them in both boxes. That sums it up.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 06, 2017, 08:37:44 am by Donnywolf »

Arrogance personified surprised at Paul Cook really . I thought the Pompey team played well against a team on form and at home.
I certainly never sensed any arrogance from their players but he will have talked to them post match . There was little they could do against an irrepressible Rovers last night. I definitely see promotion for them too on that performance.

Good assessment Hoola. I reckon they will get Auto promo based on their performance all night long. Their equaliser was coming a long time as they enjoyed a very good 15 to 20 Minutes before getting it

As for Paul Cook if he does not calm down he will probably not be around to see that promo. He was "purple" with rage for most of the time and him and his hoppo were on the Linos case and 4th officials case nearly all the Match.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 06, 2017, 08:40:53 am by swintonrover »
It makes me happy that one of the top sides in League 2 in Pompey, put in a decent performance, and still couldn't get anywhere near us.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 06, 2017, 09:13:10 am by idler »
Pompey fan here. No complaints with the result, you were too good for us. Ironically, the first half when we were losing one nil was one of our better performances. We worked hard to close down against a good side and did well to get back into it by half time. The difference was you were more clinical. The two second half goals were cheap from a defensive perspective but both taken brilliantly.

You switched it up when you needed to and changed formation, we didn't. You were more direct and took your chances, and we didn't. You kept working throughout and, we didn't. I'm not too disappointed; our season wasn't going to be defined by last night but by whether we can beat teams like Barnet or Wycombe today. However it has shown us what we should be, and why we've been in this league for four years.
A fair assessment Chave but you one of if not the best side that we have played. You will certainly win more than you lose and be thereabouts at the end.
Good luck for the rest of the season.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 06, 2017, 09:15:00 am by Bezza »
i thought our substitutions were good , from a top manager, but when Paul Cook took off Bennett i was glad to see him go, thought he was a threat, after he went off they didn`t really trouble us.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 06, 2017, 09:18:20 am by idler »
If Bennett hadn't gone off he was heading for a booking.
Typical though that against us he chose the right option for once.
His performance tonight summed up why he hasn't kicked on career wise.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 06, 2017, 09:45:02 am by Donnywolf »
I thought booing him every time he touched the ball was a waste of breath !

Sue by all means - Boo when his name is read out - then get over it !

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 06, 2017, 09:57:07 am by Mike_F »
Dunno, DW. He's a hot-headed little Kitson at times and although he was a threat last night the comment above about him heading for a booking is spot on. With the pressure on and everyone giving him stick I thought it was only a matter of time before he lashed out.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 06, 2017, 10:01:44 am by mushRTID »
I did have a good look through twitter last night and was amazed how many Pompey fans were slating the ref.

Very amusing really considering events a few seasons back.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 06, 2017, 10:23:00 am by roversontheup »
I think everyone could have a pop at the ref last night. Some of his decisions were baffling, some were pure comedy!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 06, 2017, 10:23:58 am by Filo »

No mention anywhere of how cheap your goal was, a sloppy pass set you up. One of many sloppy passes by our midfield, but you only managed to take one gift we offered you. Naismith and Evans need to concentrate more on playing the game rather than whinging and moaning at the officials after being caught out trying to cheat a few times

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 06, 2017, 10:29:05 am by Donnywolf »
Dunno, DW. He's a hot-headed little Kitson at times and although he was a threat last night the comment above about him heading for a booking is spot on. With the pressure on and everyone giving him stick I thought it was only a matter of time before he lashed out.

TBH I dont know how in the context of the Match he was not booked for that wrestling down of Mason ?? just before he was taken off.

To me though its a waste of breath booing him for the sake of it - just as I also think singing "one greedy b*****d" is when former Players come back to a Club (not just a Rovers thing). Most of those singing would if they sold Sandwiches for a living or mend Cars for a living WOULD move to a new employer if that new person offered say a 50% rise ! They just would !

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 06, 2017, 10:32:41 am by Mike_F »
Absolutely they would, me included. I don't always agree with it either but in the case of Bennett, he'd been offered a new deal, said he wanted to be a club legend like Copps then buggered off to Pompey a division lower for more money a week later. That, combined with his short fuse is ample reason to give him some stick.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012