Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:09:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: from Pompy site  (Read 11592 times)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: from Pompy site
« Reply #30 on January 06, 2017, 10:36:22 am by Jonathan »
Naismith's dive next to the West Stand in the first half (that bizarrely went unpunished despite being right next to the linesman) was a disgrace.

Other than that I was impressed with Portsmouth. Always a threat with the ball and played some really good stuff, especially first half. Dangerous set piece delivery too. It'd be no surprise to see them work their way up into the automatic promotion spots. That said, whilst their centre halves defended the high line fairly well and looked good with the ball (especially the tall lad with the ponytail) they were found wanting when the ball reached the box. They should be desperately disappointed with all three goals conceded. Marquis was all on his own for his first and had no bother getting infront for his second. For Tommy Rowe's we opened them up far too easily. Their goal too came from a rare mistake in possession from Houghton.

All in all a good competitive game between two good teams, you won't see much better football than that in the basement division. I expect Portsmouth to be up there at the end of the season. Credit to the fans that made the trip, too. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:39:08 am by Jonathan »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 06, 2017, 10:39:09 am by silent majority »
He didn't get more money though did he! During the summer I had a conversation with some Pompey directors that I know and they confirmed it. Same with Curtis Main.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on January 06, 2017, 10:41:29 am by Mike_F »
...which makes it an even stranger decision given his comments about being "the next Coppinger".

The mardy little tw@.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 06, 2017, 10:45:31 am by Filo »
I'm surprised no one hit him hard early on, everyone knows he retreats into his shell when he's had a kicking, he has a heart the size of a pea

donnyspadge

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 06, 2017, 10:56:23 am by donnyspadge »
He went flying with that shoulder barge from Williams and that wasn't a foul I thought the ref had something against Williams at one point

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on January 06, 2017, 10:58:47 am by GazLaz »
I'm surprised no one hit him hard early on, everyone knows he retreats into his shell when he's had a kicking, he has a heart the size of a pea

The biggest issue with Bennett is that he's got the brain the size of a pea.

chave

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 06, 2017, 01:02:31 pm by chave »
Pompey fan here. No complaints with the result, you were too good for us. Ironically, the first half when we were losing one nil was one of our better performances. We worked hard to close down against a good side and did well to get back into it by half time. The difference was you were more clinical. The two second half goals were cheap from a defensive perspective but both taken brilliantly.

You switched it up when you needed to and changed formation, we didn't. You were more direct and took your chances, and we didn't. You kept working throughout and, we didn't. I'm not too disappointed; our season wasn't going to be defined by last night but by whether we can beat teams like Barnet or Wycombe today. However it has shown us what we should be, and why we've been in this league for four years.

No mention anywhere of how cheap your goal was, a sloppy pass set you up. One of many sloppy passes by our midfield, but you only managed to take one gift we offered you. Naismith and Evans need to concentrate more on playing the game rather than whinging and moaning at the officials after being caught out trying to cheat a few times

I think our goal was like your second - defensively poor but offensively clinical. I think that if you press all game, you'll get a few slip ups at this level, but the down side is pulling yourself out of position like we did for your second goal.

Agree about Evans, that's his third or fourth booking for diving this season. Chaplin and Roberts are the same, though you didn't get to see it. We've got a pretty bad mannered team all in all. Not what you want as a fan - particularly when it doesn't work!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 06, 2017, 01:15:00 pm by GazLaz »
Your goal was an absolute gift to be honest, handed on a plate.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 06, 2017, 01:19:41 pm by Jonathan »

Well taken though, got to admit that.

chave

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 06, 2017, 01:32:07 pm by chave »
Yeah, the goal itself wasn't a gift. Plenty of work had to be done, and we've missed far easier chances this year.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on January 06, 2017, 01:52:44 pm by IDM »

Well taken though, got to admit that.

Have to agree.. perfect set up by Bennett and got Pompey back in the game deservedly.

Made for a great second half though.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on January 06, 2017, 03:09:49 pm by Superspy »
There has to be a psychology element too. If being booed constantly winds a player up we should do it more. Wound up players are players who don't play to their best.

I've seen games on the continent where they boo and whistle constantly whenever the opposition get the ball, regardless of the player...certainly makes it seems more hostile. I wouldn't want to play in it.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on January 06, 2017, 04:02:06 pm by roversdude »
Naismith's dive next to the West Stand in the first half (that bizarrely went unpunished despite being right next to the linesman) was a disgrace.

Other than that I was impressed with Portsmouth. Always a threat with the ball and played some really good stuff, especially first half. Dangerous set piece delivery too. It'd be no surprise to see them work their way up into the automatic promotion spots. That said, whilst their centre halves defended the high line fairly well and looked good with the ball (especially the tall lad with the ponytail) they were found wanting when the ball reached the box. They should be desperately disappointed with all three goals conceded. Marquis was all on his own for his first and had no bother getting infront for his second. For Tommy Rowe's we opened them up far too easily. Their goal too came from a rare mistake in possession from Houghton.

All in all a good competitive game between two good teams, you won't see much better football than that in the basement division. I expect Portsmouth to be up there at the end of the season. Credit to the fans that made the trip, too. 

The dive where the game was held up whilst he moaned and then further to allow him to tie his laces poor little lamb

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on January 06, 2017, 04:03:45 pm by eastender »
Absolutely they would, me included. I don't always agree with it either but in the case of Bennett, he'd been offered a new deal, said he wanted to be a club legend like Copps then buggered off to Pompey a division lower for more money a week later. That, combined with his short fuse is ample reason to give him some stick.

Dickov said that he had been badly advised by his agent.

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-kyle-bennett-badly-advised-says-paul-dickov-1-7274365

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on January 06, 2017, 04:13:08 pm by idler »
Why did his agent tell him to persue a career in football?😉
He has the potential to be a far better player but needs to grow up and listen and learn. Maybe he ought to have stayed here and watched Copps.
Times running out for him to make a decent consistent player.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 06, 2017, 04:25:12 pm by Goole Rover »
I spoke to their kit man after the game a very sporting chap, shook my hand and congratulated us, said we were the better side.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on January 06, 2017, 05:08:23 pm by RobTheRover »
Bennett thought he was going for more, which never materialised.

Whatever he's paid,  it's too much.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 06, 2017, 05:11:58 pm by RobTheRover »
Actually,  all this talk of Benno has made me realise something.

We have a team of mesters.  Not hot-headed or immature,  like Bennett (remember his knocking all the bottles over at Brentford?) . Even the youngsters in the squad are level headed solid professionals. I like what we are now, and that personality of the team can be seen on the pitch.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on January 06, 2017, 05:19:51 pm by PDX_Rover »
Well said Rob. That footage of Bennett being a bell end after the Brentford game captures him perfectly. Let's celebrate by smashing stuff.

roversron

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 06, 2017, 05:36:52 pm by roversron »
I would have taken a point before kick off and at half time would still have taken it. There was going to be a winner but I think at half time it could have gone either way. Credit fergie for his changes for giving us a positive result

Mac the hooped man

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 06, 2017, 06:08:22 pm by Mac the hooped man »

Would that be the same fans who chanted to marko,  "you're going home in an ambulance!!'  Vile scumbags in my eyes. 

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on January 06, 2017, 07:34:09 pm by roversdude »
Mine too Mac seems to be history with them, appreciate that this is a broad brushstroke but I'm still fuming now

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on January 06, 2017, 07:56:46 pm by Jonathan »
I didn't hear that so based mr judgement solely on the numbers that travelled all that way and supported their team throughout.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 06, 2017, 08:21:41 pm by Drover »
He went flying with that shoulder barge from Williams and that wasn't a foul I thought the ref had something against Williams at one point

I thought,it looked like,Bennett went in with the intention of shoulder barging AW,but AW upper body strength was far too strong and it backed fired on KB.Wrong decision by Ref IMHO.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on January 06, 2017, 09:48:19 pm by Pancho Regan »
I didn't hear any of the 'ambulance' chants at Marko's injury and would prefer to think they didn't happen.
Shame on any Pompey fans who did indulge in that, particularly after their behaviour after the Luton player broke his leg.

Leaving that aside, I take off my hat to the Pompey fans who made the long journey last night and gave their team constant vocal support.
Only bettered this season by the Hartlepool fans, but considering the distances travelled and the fact it was a televised mid-week match, my vote for 'Away fans of the Season' currently goes to Pompey.

What a great game last night. Two good teams, both generally trying to play proper football.
Pompey are the best team to visit us this season. Carlisle were good, but Pompey worried me much more, especially in the 30 minutes after we got the early goal.

But massive credit to Rovers for soaking up that pressure and then clinically punishing Pompey at each opportunity. And let's not forget, despite Pompey's possession and corner count, their solitary goal was gift-wrapped by a dreadful ball from Houghton.
Gift-wrapped with a big silk bow.

A night to remember, and I only wish more Rovers fans had been there to witness it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:50:29 pm by Pancho Regan »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on January 06, 2017, 10:56:52 pm by drfchound »
All this talk about gifting them a goal reminds me that I heard someone, it may have been Roy Keane, saying that most goals come about because of a mistake.

I have said on here before that all goals are preventable.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on January 06, 2017, 11:34:32 pm by NickDRFC »
I think that there's a difference between a goal being preventable, like our second which could have been dealt with if Pompey had defended better, and gifting a goal. Houghton passed it straight to Bennett whilst he was wide and Baudry was also out of position - although it was ultimately a well taken strike it was definitely gifted to them.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on January 06, 2017, 11:52:37 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Exactly. One of our players actually played a part in the goal by providing the initial pass that led up to it!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 06, 2017, 11:58:04 pm by RedJ »
Which would've been prevented if his pass wasn't so shite...

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on January 07, 2017, 01:39:16 am by Sammy Chung was King »

The biggest issue with Bennett is that he's got the brain the size of a pea.

And a heart to match it!. The perfect example to any young kid of how to use the ability you have wrongly-a waste of talent. Portsmouth had a couple of small spells where if they had scored things could have turned the other way. The difference seemed to me was that we had another level to go up to in the second half and Portsmouth didn't have that.
The balance of their team isn't quite right at the minute there are too many older legs in the team. They miss somebody in the middle who runs a game. They could have done with Cook on the pitch in his prime playing days.
Evans looks a decent player Naismith also. Doyle though getting on is still a decent midfielder but he needs younger players around him, he was overrun in the centre.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012