Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:09:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 17/18 Kit  (Read 13170 times)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: 17/18 Kit
« Reply #30 on January 07, 2017, 11:02:48 pm by Jonathan »
I can see a lot of humble pie being eaten later this season.

Couldn't you just elaborate on what the plans for the shirt are instead of alluding to something while adding nothing more?

It seems like lots of people have already made their minds up that it's going to be shit.

It's just a shirt and an idea. There's an effort to engage the fans. I don't think it deserves this negative reaction. People can buy it or not buy it. I don't think we've ever had a fashionable shirt. It's not really the point, is it?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:07:10 pm by Jonathan »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 07, 2017, 11:03:38 pm by rich1471 »
Who said it has to be on red and white hoops what about a white shirt like the British heart foundation one with a black print great players past and present it would not work on hoops unless they were faded

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 07, 2017, 11:11:00 pm by CrippyCooke »

Couldn't you just elaborate on what the plans for the shirt are instead of alluding to something while adding nothing more?

It seems like lots of people have already made their minds up that it's going to be shit.

It's just a shirt and an idea. There's an effort to engage the fans. I don't think it deserves this negative reaction. People can buy it or not buy it. I don't think we've ever had a fashionable shirt. It's not really the point, is it?

I think the issue is that a lot of people cannot see how a shirt could incorporate key 'moments' in a way that isn't shit/tacky/embarrassing. People aren't just moaning for the sake of moaning.

If there is a way of incorporating such moments into a shirt without it looking poor then it would make sense to explain the method further to stop people reaching the most obvious conclusion.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 07, 2017, 11:23:23 pm by Jonathan »

I think the issue is that a lot of people cannot see how a shirt could incorporate key 'moments' in a way that isn't shit/tacky/embarrassing. People aren't just moaning for the sake of moaning.

If there is a way of incorporating such moments into a shirt without it looking poor then it would make sense to explain the method further to stop people reaching the most obvious conclusion.

Art is all about interpretation isn't it. I hope it's abstract!

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 07, 2017, 11:26:30 pm by StocktonRover »
I can't be certain, but I think millwall did something like this once.
Possibly listed all season ticket holders or something similar on the shirt. From any distance whatsoever the writing wasn't really visable but when looked at closely it could be read.

It didn't look bad at all - it was subtle...... (on reflection, if it was subtle it couldn't have been millwall?)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 07, 2017, 11:31:35 pm by Pancho Regan »
I can't believe the torrent of negativity to this idea.
There again, maybe I can....we seem to be good at trashing some initiatives by the club before we've given them a chance.

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 07, 2017, 11:37:10 pm by CrippyCooke »
I can't be certain, but I think millwall did something like this once.
Possibly listed all season ticket holders or something similar on the shirt. From any distance whatsoever the writing wasn't really visable but when looked at closely it could be read.

It didn't look bad at all - it was subtle...... (on reflection, if it was subtle it couldn't have been millwall?)

Let's hope this isn't the idea! I'm not sure how a shirt with "Doncaster Rovers 5 – 1 Southend United 16/05/08", "Doncaster Rovers 2 – 0 Sheffield United 23/10/10", "League One Championship May 2013", "Billy Sharp" and "James Coppinger" written on it will look regardless of how subtle the font is.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 08, 2017, 09:02:27 am by MrFrost »

Come on,  that's what he does best.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 08, 2017, 09:40:46 am by 1879Rovers »
Why do we have to have a new kit every season? I know it's a money maker and of course you don't have to buy one but it's a bit daft IMO.

You answered your own question.

I agree with the OP. When I saw it on the OS, I thought this is going to look awful.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 08, 2017, 10:03:36 am by Donnywolf »
Might get a surprise with a "watermark" type configuration ? That could work. However as has been pointed out it is supposed to be memories of 10 years at KMS so a few suggestions above are "out"

My suggestions are below and some of those wont work whether watermark or not

I selected the Red and White "sea" from the first game (see photo) which I thought was a great opening gambit (There will be better photos of that)

Mark McCammons first goal

Copps Hat trick free kick v Southend

Billys "Thats for you Son" TShirt pose

DRFC montage by Black Bank

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:10:13 am by Donnywolf »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on January 08, 2017, 10:24:45 am by roversdude »
How about a muddy scruffy side and a gleaming bright other side to depict before and after
Still miss the old place in a bizarre way

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 08, 2017, 10:26:23 am by Bristol Red Rover »

Billys "Thats for you Son" TShirt pose

That over beating Sheff U?  :headbang: :facepalm: :suicide:

Okay, I slept on it, calmed down, and still think interpret it as a shite idea.

The complexity of having several "moments" captured as images as watermarks or whatever ain't gonna happen, so we're talking about words in blocks or maybe written between the hoops. That seems to be clear enough from the DROS item about it, or someone explain otherwise? SM? Jonathan?

I'm all for initiatives from the club. Creativity and art will initially be controversial, so any suggestions of this type need to be thought through in how they are presented.

If in any way this is being seen as an artistic/creative project then such things as the kit colours/pattern itself must surely be discussed alongside asking for fans suggestions of "moments".

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 08, 2017, 10:30:36 am by Copps is Magic »
The way the club have worded this and released it leaves too much to the imagine. We really do need to know what parameters they are thinking of; are they envisaging a small bit of wording somewhere on the shirt or are they envisaging a full-blown picture of Sharp pointing to the sky? 

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 08, 2017, 10:39:48 am by Bristol Red Rover »
The way the club have worded this and released it leaves too much to the imagine. We really do need to know what parameters they are thinking of; are they envisaging a small bit of wording somewhere on the shirt or are they envisaging a full-blown picture of Sharp pointing to the sky? 

Much as that moment is "the" Keepmoat moment for me, wouldn't having a pic of someone who'd potentially be playing against us on our shirt be weird and discount that from being an option?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 08, 2017, 10:40:01 am by Jonathan »
I can't shed any light on it. I'm just open minded before getting involved in the mass slating.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 08, 2017, 10:43:21 am by Bristol Red Rover »
I can't shed any light on it. I'm just open minded before getting involved in the mass slating.

It's a discussion, with strong opinions. Being open minded has it's good sides, though in this case could end up letting the dachshund into the trap with not enough time to change it.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 08, 2017, 10:45:10 am by NickDRFC »
I can't see it having images, surely it will just be words.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on January 08, 2017, 10:48:35 am by RoversAlias »
The wording of it all sounds to me like they already have the idea in mind and are just trying to gain some good PR by including the fans. Let's be honest, the moments that get selected are all fairly well obvious, so they have probably already come up with designs featuring them. Our fans are going to name the same moments to be put on this depiction, surely.

It might look good, and if it does then it sounds cool, but if not...oh well. It's not like we are well known for our dazzling, amazing kits that are the envy of the football world. Many clubs have naff kits, in fact it's the shit ones that everyone remembers so another shit one isn't going to do too much harm.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 08, 2017, 10:50:45 am by Copps is Magic »
Something has just flashed across my mind, perhaps they are envisaging something along similar lines to what Notts County did a few years ago - where the hoops/stripes are replaced with season ticket holders names or memorable events or something similar.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on January 08, 2017, 10:57:45 am by silent majority »
 :that:

Why all the negativity? It's perfectly possible to design a good looking shirt and incorporate small detail at the same time.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 08, 2017, 11:02:46 am by silent majority »

Come on,  that's what he does best.

You have no idea what I do best. But thanks for the personal slight Mr Frost.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on January 08, 2017, 11:05:55 am by Donnywolf »

Why all the negativity? It's perfectly possible to design a good looking shirt and incorporate small detail at the same time.
+1

I wont criticise without good cause.

Fine if its a dogs dinner then people will have a right to moan - but they are being consulted for a start

On the up side also surely the Club will know its "wrong" if it turns out that way ?

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 08, 2017, 11:57:33 am by roversontheup »
I really despair of the negativity amongst my fellow Rovers fans at times. It seems to me that the club...our club....are damned if they do and damned if they don't! They are actually trying to do something for the supporters and involving the supporters in the process. They want our ideas and suggestions.
I'm not saying everyone has to like the idea but it does feel as though some people's first reaction is to attack the club rather than embracing what they are trying to do.
The events on the website are just examples. It is up to us to suggest what other events or names etc need to be considered.
I for one feel really proud of the way my club is trying to involve its supporters in so many initiatives. Talk with other clubs supporters and see how many others do as much. There's still a long way to go and there is still lots to do but let's try to look at how things can be made to work rather than why they won't.
Of course this is all JMHO. Rant over!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on January 08, 2017, 12:45:30 pm by Donnywolf »

Well ranted imo !!!    :aok: :clapping: :scarf:

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on January 08, 2017, 12:58:04 pm by IDM »
I am not trying to be negative with my thoughts on this subject and it is great that our club involves the supporters like this.

I just think - based on the description that I read - that the concept sounds odd and I cannot picture it - I understand watermarks of course but not sure how all those ideas would fit in?

A proposed image design would help..

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on January 08, 2017, 01:10:17 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Thanks roversontheup for taking the trouble to say exactly what I was about to say, only you put it much better.  FFS!  how many posts do we read on here from our own supposed supporters slagging the club off for its poor marketing and publicity work?  Then as soon as they come up with an idea people slag it off before seeing the result.

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on January 08, 2017, 02:09:39 pm by CrippyCooke »
I really despair of the negativity amongst my fellow Rovers fans at times. It seems to me that the club...our club....are damned if they do and damned if they don't! They are actually trying to do something for the supporters and involving the supporters in the process. They want our ideas and suggestions.
I'm not saying everyone has to like the idea but it does feel as though some people's first reaction is to attack the club rather than embracing what they are trying to do.
The events on the website are just examples. It is up to us to suggest what other events or names etc need to be considered.
I for one feel really proud of the way my club is trying to involve its supporters in so many initiatives. Talk with other clubs supporters and see how many others do as much. There's still a long way to go and there is still lots to do but let's try to look at how things can be made to work rather than why they won't.
Of course this is all JMHO. Rant over!

Oh, give it a rest.

This is a particularly unusual idea for a kit that will be difficult to achieve without the shirt looking tacky. There's been just one or two examples of other clubs doing something potentially similar mentioned in this thread showing that it is not something widespread across football.

I, and clearly some others, think that this is arguably impossible to pull off without the end product being a bit naff. To say so isn't personal criticism of anyone at the club and it's not moaning for the sake of moaning. People can disagree with people at the club, you know.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on January 08, 2017, 04:38:36 pm by MachoMadness »
I hope we're all aware of the irony of those being so negative about their fellow fans expressing concerns and constructive criticism about a poorly-worded and vague idea from the club.

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 08, 2017, 04:45:38 pm by CrippyCooke »
I hope we're all aware of the irony of those being so negative about their fellow fans expressing concerns and constructive criticism about a poorly-worded and vague idea from the club.

Interestingly, people are also rushing to praise the club for giving fans a say in the design of the kit but then they moan when fans voice an opinion on the design of the kit.

"I dispair".

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on January 08, 2017, 04:47:49 pm by silent majority »

Interestingly, people are also rushing to praise the club for giving fans a say in the design of the kit but then they moan when fans voice an opinion on the design of the kit.

"I dispair".

The problem is people are expressing negativity on an idea, not on an actual design.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012