Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:50:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 17/18 Kit  (Read 13165 times)

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
Re: 17/18 Kit
« Reply #60 on January 08, 2017, 04:53:20 pm by CrippyCooke »
I hope we're all aware of the irony of those being so negative about their fellow fans expressing concerns and constructive criticism about a poorly-worded and vague idea from the club.

Interestingly, people are also rushing to praise the club for giving fans a say in the design of the kit but then they moan when fans voice an opinion on the design of the kit.

"I dispair".

The problem is people are expressing negativity on an idea, not on an actual design.

Perhaps the club could clarify how this idea would be incorporated into the design of the shirt, in that case.

That said, this concept will clearly form a fundamental part of any shirt design.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on January 08, 2017, 05:07:37 pm by silent majority »
I don't know what the final designs would look like, but I doubt very much that we would be moving away from our traditional red and white hoops on the home shirt.

My understanding is that the red hoops will include the memorable moments from our 10 years at the Keepmoat in much the same way as CiM has indicated in his post which pictures the Notts County shirt. The font will be small enough to read at close quarters but not from a distance. At a reasonable distance the hoops will look like normal therefore the idea will not impinge or dictate what the shirt looks like.

It will be a one-off in that respect, totally unique, but the design will still be our normal shirt. In some ways it could be described as watermarking, an idea embedded into the shirt in a very subtle way.

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on January 08, 2017, 05:17:27 pm by CrippyCooke »
I don't know what the final designs would look like, but I doubt very much that we would be moving away from our traditional red and white hoops on the home shirt.

My understanding is that the red hoops will include the memorable moments from our 10 years at the Keepmoat in much the same way as CiM has indicated in his post which pictures the Notts County shirt. The font will be small enough to read at close quarters but not from a distance. At a reasonable distance the hoops will look like normal therefore the idea will not impinge or dictate what the shirt looks like.

It will be a one-off in that respect, totally unique, but the design will still be our normal shirt. In some ways it could be described as watermarking, an idea embedded into the shirt in a very subtle way.

This would be preferable if we do go down this route with the shirt.

A concern, however, would be compiling a list long enough to avoid the phrases used being repeated too much. If we use the article on the official website as guidance then we are somewhat limited by the ten year time frame and the interpretation as to what constitutes an "iconic" or "key" event or player. It may be easier/better if we simply listed every player to have played for DRFC at the Keepmoat.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on January 08, 2017, 05:19:03 pm by roversontheup »
I really despair of the negativity amongst my fellow Rovers fans at times. It seems to me that the club...our club....are damned if they do and damned if they don't! They are actually trying to do something for the supporters and involving the supporters in the process. They want our ideas and suggestions.
I'm not saying everyone has to like the idea but it does feel as though some people's first reaction is to attack the club rather than embracing what they are trying to do.
The events on the website are just examples. It is up to us to suggest what other events or names etc need to be considered.
I for one feel really proud of the way my club is trying to involve its supporters in so many initiatives. Talk with other clubs supporters and see how many others do as much. There's still a long way to go and there is still lots to do but let's try to look at how things can be made to work rather than why they won't.
Of course this is all JMHO. Rant over!

Oh, give it a rest.

This is a particularly unusual idea for a kit that will be difficult to achieve without the shirt looking tacky. There's been just one or two examples of other clubs doing something potentially similar mentioned in this thread showing that it is not something widespread across football.

I, and clearly some others, think that this is arguably impossible to pull off without the end product being a bit naff. To say so isn't personal criticism of anyone at the club and it's not moaning for the sake of moaning. People can disagree with people at the club, you know.
I stressed that people don't have to like the idea and of course they can disagree with it. It just feels IMO that as a collective we tend to write ideas off without giving them a decent chance. Nobody hates 'tacky' more than I do but at this stage all the club are asking is for supporters ideas and suggestions. Once they have that detail then the design stage can commence. I'm sure people will have ample opportunity to feedback on this to the club then. In the meantime surely we should at least give it a chance.

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on January 08, 2017, 05:21:21 pm by CrippyCooke »
I really despair of the negativity amongst my fellow Rovers fans at times. It seems to me that the club...our club....are damned if they do and damned if they don't! They are actually trying to do something for the supporters and involving the supporters in the process. They want our ideas and suggestions.
I'm not saying everyone has to like the idea but it does feel as though some people's first reaction is to attack the club rather than embracing what they are trying to do.
The events on the website are just examples. It is up to us to suggest what other events or names etc need to be considered.
I for one feel really proud of the way my club is trying to involve its supporters in so many initiatives. Talk with other clubs supporters and see how many others do as much. There's still a long way to go and there is still lots to do but let's try to look at how things can be made to work rather than why they won't.
Of course this is all JMHO. Rant over!

Oh, give it a rest.

This is a particularly unusual idea for a kit that will be difficult to achieve without the shirt looking tacky. There's been just one or two examples of other clubs doing something potentially similar mentioned in this thread showing that it is not something widespread across football.

I, and clearly some others, think that this is arguably impossible to pull off without the end product being a bit naff. To say so isn't personal criticism of anyone at the club and it's not moaning for the sake of moaning. People can disagree with people at the club, you know.
I stressed that people don't have to like the idea and of course they can disagree with it. It just feels IMO that as a collective we tend to write ideas off without giving them a decent chance. Nobody hates 'tacky' more than I do but at this stage all the club are asking is for supporters ideas and suggestions. Once they have that detail then the design stage can commence. I'm sure people will have ample opportunity to feedback on this to the club then. In the meantime surely we should at least give it a chance.

In this instance I think the club would be extremely grateful for the discussion generated on here. It's essentially free market research.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on January 08, 2017, 05:23:08 pm by roversontheup »

This would be preferable if we do go down this route with the shirt.

A concern, however, would be compiling a list long enough to avoid the phrases used being repeated too much. If we use the article on the official website as guidance then we are somewhat limited by the ten year time frame and the interpretation as to what constitutes an "iconic" or "key" event or player. It may be easier/better if we simply listed every player to have played for DRFC at the Keepmoat.
And that's what the club are asking for.....ideas from supporters.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on January 08, 2017, 05:38:47 pm by silent majority »
 :that: exactly.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on January 08, 2017, 06:29:59 pm by IDM »

Now that sounds more understandable but wasn't clear when read on DROS..

However - and this is only my opinion - the win over the Blades is no more memorable than any other..

If it is to be as you described, with small watermarked font, could we not list every victory at the stadium, every Rovers player who has played there etc??

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on January 08, 2017, 06:35:23 pm by German Rover »

However - and this is only my opinion - the win over the Blades is no more memorable than any other..

If it is to be as you described, with small watermarked font, could we not list every victory at the stadium, every Rovers player who has played there etc??

I really like that Idea!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on January 08, 2017, 06:54:38 pm by The Red Baron »
Like the idea of the name of every player who has played for DRFC. I have the information to hand too!

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on January 08, 2017, 08:08:38 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Like the idea of the name of every player who has played for DRFC. I have the information to hand too!
Suppose we'll have to include the crap ones as well 😁

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on January 08, 2017, 08:25:48 pm by CrippyCooke »
Suppose we'll have to include the crap ones as well 😁

Hérold 'the next Viera' Goulon.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on January 08, 2017, 08:44:56 pm by Donnywolf »

... OR slight change on that the Players Copps has played with - often seen it on here

Honours him and them ?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on January 08, 2017, 08:50:22 pm by IDM »
However what if - unlikely as it seems - Copps isn't here next season after some wild disagreement with the club??

Perfect for a testimonial but that's been and gone..

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on January 08, 2017, 09:06:05 pm by silent majority »
Thanks for the responses. However I must point out that the club was asking for exactly what you guys have now suggested, and that what you should do now is let them know. If you don't feel that you want to I'm happy to do that for you.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on January 08, 2017, 10:15:27 pm by Jonathan »
Thanks for the responses. However I must point out that the club was asking for exactly what you guys have now suggested, and that what you should do now is let them know. If you don't feel that you want to I'm happy to do that for you.

How about every result except the much maligned 2-0 against Sheffield United.

DD

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 09, 2017, 12:34:51 am by DD »
Whatever the design PLEASE can we ensure that the players numbers are clear and can be read from a distance?
The current numbering / appearance is shocking. My eyesight is pretty good but I find it very difficult to differentiate between players when on the far side of the pitch.....and I'm not alone on this.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on January 09, 2017, 12:42:55 am by andysly »
Please not every player....some of those from the experiment would be totally abhorrent.
Every win isn't a bad idea, though there were some enjoyable draws and even defeats, hell just put them all on, even the 0-6 v Ipswich.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on January 09, 2017, 01:24:58 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I seem to remember man utd doing a shirt with the stadium in the design of the shirt. They also had one with famous former players throughout the design. I think it was a case you could only see it close up not from far away. I would think our shirt would be similar.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on January 09, 2017, 02:39:36 am by silent majority »
Whatever the design PLEASE can we ensure that the players numbers are clear and can be read from a distance?
The current numbering / appearance is shocking. My eyesight is pretty good but I find it very difficult to differentiate between players when on the far side of the pitch.....and I'm not alone on this.

I wouldn't worry, that's been discussed umpteen times!"

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on January 09, 2017, 09:22:27 am by wing commander »
   Shirt design will always be controversial because if you put 3 fans in a room looking at the shirt, one fan will think its great, another will think its awful while the 3rd doesn't care because he thinks changing every year is a total rip-off....
   So I'm sure when its that time of year again you can hear a large groan from the poor unfortunate soul in the Rovers office who has been lumbered with the task...That said I don't think Rovers help themselves after last years process and winner..Many fans wont get involved as they don't trust it....
   That said I actually like the idea of this,there is only so much you can do with hoops and after seeing some of the other clubs strips who have incorporated this idea its possible to make it work....

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on January 09, 2017, 09:39:21 am by RedJ »

In fairness isn't that an EFL thing? as everyone seems to have the dots in the numbers.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on January 09, 2017, 10:34:51 am by The Red Baron »
The numbers are a standard design approved by the EFL. You should direct any complaints at them rather than the club, which has no say.

DannyRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on January 09, 2017, 10:48:25 am by DannyRovers »
If it was done in the style of Notts County that would be class. If they did it on the red hoops with a bright red dark red combination so it was nice an subtle. I envisioned pictures printed on somehow which when I have seen others do the same looks really tacky.

On the number comments. I totally agree. We cant change the numbers but we can have it a solid colour on the back of the shirt with no hoops so it is clearer which I prefer, but then again many don't like that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:37:21 pm by DannyRovers »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on January 09, 2017, 11:42:34 am by RoversAlias »
The dots in the number design is for Prostate Cancer, newly introduced this season. It is EFL wide, not like Rovers can do anything about it and it doesn't help that we have hooped shirts because numbers are generally harder to read on the back of them than other kit template styles anyway.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on January 09, 2017, 02:33:48 pm by DaveDRFC »
Have to say when I first read about this I immediately thought of a couple of 90's Manchester United shirts.

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on January 09, 2017, 02:49:12 pm by CrippyCooke »

You're more than welcome to pass any of my comments to the club.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on January 09, 2017, 03:16:22 pm by silent majority »

You're more than welcome to pass any of my comments to the club.

Done.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on January 09, 2017, 05:56:24 pm by Mr1Croft »

In fairness isn't that an EFL thing? as everyone seems to have the dots in the numbers.

The hoops don't work with numbers because of the contrasting colors in hoops - however I am a big fan of what Reading did this season by fading the hoop on the back...

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on January 09, 2017, 06:08:34 pm by WheatleyRover »
I dont want to change from the Hoops thats our identity now, if its just for one season i dont mind but surley they can come up with something for a hooped design

TinyPortal © 2005-2012