Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:01:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: King Billy and Ian Snodin  (Read 4619 times)

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
King Billy and Ian Snodin
« on January 09, 2017, 06:44:42 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Only just come across this on the Free Press website.
Some really interesting observations on Bremner and his relationship with Ian Snodin along with other nostalgia.
It's a good series this.
Brings back memories and well worth keeping.

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/the-catt-chronicles-part-two-king-billy-got-his-young-guns-firing-1-8312067

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: King Billy and Ian Snodin
« Reply #1 on January 09, 2017, 07:04:15 pm by roversdude »
What a great nostalgic read

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 09, 2017, 07:18:26 pm by RobTheRover »
Excellent.  The 1st Bremner era was when I first started going as a 10 year old.  The Snodin brothers were my favourites, along with (at various times) Billy Russell, Ernie Moss, and (weirdly) Andy Kowalski.

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 09, 2017, 07:48:10 pm by CottyRover »
Fantastic times! A wonderful reminder.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 09, 2017, 08:03:52 pm by knockers »
What a great read. I remember the Lincoln game where we had two sent off. I went on the bus with Daryl Wilkinson whose dad Ken was involved with the Supporters club.
Brought back some good memories :thumbsup:

DRFC-Hanksie

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 10, 2017, 12:37:50 pm by DRFC-Hanksie »
Great read that even though admittedly before my time. Would have loved to have gone to that Everton game in the FA Cup, mad to think 10,000 Donny fans travelling there.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 10, 2017, 12:45:09 pm by IDM »
I remember those times very well, unfortunately I didn't get to go to Everton but was on the pop side for the QPR victory.

A lad in the same class at my school had previously claimed to be a QPR supporter, but offered no reasoning for that, nor would come to the game..

As a kid in the Bremner era I thought it was great that this legend (I just about remember the early/mid 70's when the biggest "names" were Keegan and Bremner) was manager at Doncaster, and that I had actually been at a match that got it's result read out on Grandstand.  Even in the 4th division, that felt important...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 10, 2017, 12:51:10 pm by Filo »
Great read that even though admittedly before my time. Would have loved to have gone to that Everton game in the FA Cup, mad to think 10,000 Donny fans travelling there.

Goodison was a nightmare back then, the away end was shit and the pitch was at eye level, you could n't see the other end of the pitch, spent most of the match dodging incoming house bricks and other objects

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 10, 2017, 01:09:55 pm by RedRover45 »
Goodison was seriously dangerous that day. I spent the entire 90 minutes in mid air as my feet couldn't touch the ground, such was the crush. I dread to think what would have happened if Rovers would have actually scored. The goading and taking piss of Andy Gray that day though was awesome lol

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 10, 2017, 01:25:24 pm by Drover »

Goodison was a nightmare back then, the away end was shit and the pitch was at eye level, you could n't see the other end of the pitch, spent most of the match dodging incoming house bricks and other objects

Other objects included coins + eggs,I noticed out the corner of my eye,that My schoolmate who stood next to me was just about to get an object hit him on the head,It looked like a small rock or stone,so with quick thinking I pulled him out the way of it,as it turned out,it was an egg!He now goes to Scunthorpe utd games with his young son who is an iron supporter to my dismay :thumbdown:.Wish I'd let the egg it him now :rolleyes: :lol:.Also remember the Everton fans waving £5's etc at us,due to the miners strike,A bit ironic with all the talk of unemployment and depression in Liverpool at the time?And us singing the "Down in the liverpool slums,...dustbin to eat etc"Our coach home was one short,found out later,the missing passenger had been arrested for trying to climb into the Toffee fans. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:33:25 pm by Drover »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 10, 2017, 03:33:07 pm by roversdude »
Intimidating place with crap views
Wouldn't have missed it for the world one of my all time favourite Rovers' days out

charleydrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 10, 2017, 03:54:51 pm by charleydrfc »
Got nicked about twenty min into the Everton game. Bobby's came into the stand making the crush unbearable. After giving one a mouthful he lifted me like a rag doll and slammed me into the holding cells under the stand.I wasn't alone in there for long about six stainy lads in there and one lone spouse huddled up in the corner.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 10, 2017, 05:32:19 pm by Filo »
Got nicked about twenty min into the Everton game. Bobby's came into the stand making the crush unbearable. After giving one a mouthful he lifted me like a rag doll and slammed me into the holding cells under the stand.I wasn't alone in there for long about six stainy lads in there and one lone spouse huddled up in the corner.

Who was Stainy lads, I was probably on coach with em

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 10, 2017, 05:44:40 pm by glosterred »

Got to feel sorry for the wife (spouse) 😉

COYR

charleydrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 10, 2017, 05:54:33 pm by charleydrfc »
scouse lol predictor text strikes again.  Filo was you on pabs  bus?

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 10, 2017, 06:03:24 pm by ZiggerZagger »
If I remember rightly Aidan Butterworth should have scored 2 in fist 20 mins. Always remember the picture on the back of the News Of The World of the Rovers fans behind the net with all the  red n white tape they'd nick from the roadworks outside the ground. Happy days.

charleydrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 10, 2017, 06:06:42 pm by charleydrfc »
In the short time I was in I'm sure Darryl Pugh had a good chance to score.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 10, 2017, 06:20:13 pm by The Red Baron »
I was at Everton. Great day. I was fortunate enough to get the last ticket for the seats and was sitting in the front row of the upper stand. I had a wonderful view. Felt for those in that awful pen below.

Along with another lad who came up on the train we bumped into a couple of Scouse lads and ended up going for a few beers with them. They were sound.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 10, 2017, 07:30:11 pm by craigdrfc »
Pugh didnt play, was a couple of seasons after his time I think.

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 10, 2017, 07:39:23 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
I do remember one Donny lad after the game being chased by some Scousers and taking refuge under a parked car or van. Can't remember much about the game though.
My main memory of the QPR game is jumping around like an idiot when Harley scored and badlty twisting my ankle on the Pop stand terraces. I don't think I went quite that mad again until Brentford where I ripped my shins to bits on the back of the seat in front.

Wouldn't have missed either for the world though
  :rtid:

...Oooh, clever me, I've just worked out how to alter font colour
  :)

telfordrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 10, 2017, 07:45:41 pm by telfordrover »
 Everton was just a missile dodging exercise, utterly loved it. Only half the coach ended back in Donny. The four high scoring games where something else I was at all of them. The Norwich trip was the same as Everton unmissable. Loved that team

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 10, 2017, 08:26:57 pm by Filo »

I sure was, we ran a few buses around that time from Stainy, the one to Gillingham was famous around these parts, half the bus got locked up

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 10, 2017, 08:31:35 pm by Filo »
Everton was just a missile dodging exercise, utterly loved it. Only half the coach ended back in Donny. The four high scoring games where something else I was at all of them. The Norwich trip was the same as Everton unmissable. Loved that team

I was at Norwich game as well, we were behind the goal and the terrace was split half Donny Half Norwich, I remeber some Rovers fan climbing into the roof of that stand, tying a nylon scarf around the rafters above the Norwich fans and setting the scarf alight, dripping molten nylon into the Norwich fans

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 10, 2017, 09:00:00 pm by roversdude »
Anyone remember Palace away in League cup
Think it was Palo in Palace end on his own - funny as
We ended up on mail train with a load of geordies who had just got beat by Fulham

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 10, 2017, 09:55:43 pm by BobG »
I was at Everton, Norwich and Palace. Loved every one too. That Palace game, with Bristol Red Rover, was the first match that Dave Penney title winning season when I really thought 'This is a good team' - even though we lost. I'll never forget Gregg Blundells' goal. A real cracker. On the edge of our box defending one minute, a move and a swerve bringing it forwards by John Doolan and then an inch perfect pass for Gregg to run onto and score. It probably only took 4 seconds all told. A really good goal.

Norwich I don't have such good memories of.... Nowt to do with the footer. Girl trouble.....

BobG

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 10, 2017, 10:27:22 pm by Draytonian III »
The first Palace game was in Sept 81 ,the same day as the Oxford Street bombing,we just made in time for the kickoff,grid lock every where. Lost 2-0 ,2-1 on agg

charleydrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 10, 2017, 10:34:41 pm by charleydrfc »

I sure was, we ran a few buses around that time from Stainy, the one to Gillingham was famous around these parts, half the bus got locked up
Gillingham lol got pulled there as well with sparky

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 10, 2017, 10:51:59 pm by Filo »

Gillingham lol got pulled there as well with sparky

Sparky got hammered on bus on way down slept on coach, got in ground during second half then got lifted about 1 minute after getting in. I got lifted there but got let off without charge after half our in holding cells. Me and Pab had a fight on bus on way there, beer off on Princess Avenue opened at 7am for us before we set off, we we ll hammered by time we got to London, bog on the bus was overflowing when we got half way down motorway

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 10, 2017, 11:04:10 pm by Drover »

York away same season was a great crowd and atmosphere too,About a dozen Rovers fans went into the heart of the York home end terrace,and then fighting broke out,they got dragged out by the police and then duely turned back up in our end,which was jammed packed,like a tin of sardines,for me,much worse than at Everton.Toilets rolls and even 2 Bobbies tit helmets(one of my favourite ever moments following Rovers) got tossed into the penalty area.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 10, 2017, 11:11:11 pm by Filo »

York away same season was a great crowd and atmosphere too,About a dozen Rovers fans went into the heart of the York home end terrace,and then fighting broke out,they got dragged out by the police and then duely turned back up in our end,which was jammed packed,like a tin of sardines,for me,much worse than at Everton.Toilets rolls and even 2 Bobbies tit helmets(one of my favourite ever moments following Rovers) got tossed into the penalty area.

I was at that one as well, went on football special on train, got gobbed on by a police horse lol! 😀😀😀

TinyPortal © 2005-2012