Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:19:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Leeds are capable of being top six in the Premier League  (Read 3845 times)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Leeds are capable of being top six in the Premier League
« on January 10, 2017, 10:52:09 am by bobjimwilly »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04nz575

:facepalm:

In other news, Hilary Clinton wins the white-house and Pigs seen flying over Mordor.

I mean, it's not like they were completely played off the park for 45 mins by Cambridge last night or anything...

So glad we don't have to suffer TLO Claridge every saturday night just to watch our 30 seconds of highlights on BBC1.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Leeds are capable of being top six in the Premier League
« Reply #1 on January 10, 2017, 11:02:40 am by The Red Baron »
There's one thing. If Claridge has predicted it you can be sure it won't happen.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 10, 2017, 11:27:11 am by silent majority »
He says they have the infrastructure to be top six. But they don't own their ground and they don't own their training ground either. Having a capacity of about 40,000 doesn't do it in the Prem league anymore, why else would Spurs, Chelsea, Everton etc all be building new stadiums?

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 10, 2017, 11:36:13 am by bobjimwilly »
He says they have the infrastructure to be top six. But they don't own their ground and they don't own their training ground either. Having a capacity of about 40,000 doesn't do it in the Prem league anymore, why else would Spurs, Chelsea, Everton etc all be building new stadiums?

yeah, but it's Steve Claridge, who knows everything about EFL clubs, so...

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 10, 2017, 11:42:10 am by IDM »
It isn't unfeasible but a LOT would have to happen.  Get promoted and stay there, build up capacity to around 50K, buy the stadium, etc.  Attract a foreign investor and buy the right players.

Looking back beyond the last decade, are Leeds any lesser than Man City for example?

Don't get me wrong, I have a distaste for Leeds as a Doncaster supporter, but being a top premier league side would certainly be a possibility.

Whether it would ever happen, is another matter altogether!

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 10, 2017, 02:44:15 pm by glosterred »
Is it the 1st of April and no ones told me?

COYR

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 10, 2017, 08:36:44 pm by drfchound »
As a Rovers fan who also has a massive dislike for leeds ( i never use a capital for their name) i was saying to my mates at the match a couple of weeks ago that i have a feeling that they will get promoted this season.
I hope it doesn't happen but i also remember saying in February last season that if DF didn't sort things out we could go down.
I was ridiculed for that too by the way.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 10, 2017, 08:41:48 pm by colincramb »
With a catchment area of easily about 1.5million people, of course it's a possibility. However it would take some serious, sustained investment for it to take place

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 10, 2017, 08:51:18 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
On the subject of l***s fans (and presumably off the same programme BJM refers to above) did anyone hear this call to last night's 5 Live Sport?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b088dp4w#play
(Forward to 10.50)

If ever there was a call to sum up everything that's wrong with arrogant l***s fans then this is it.

HomerJSimpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 10, 2017, 09:46:50 pm by HomerJSimpson »
On the subject of l***s fans (and presumably off the same programme BJM refers to above) did anyone hear this call to last night's 5 Live Sport?

(Forward to 10.50)

If ever there was a call to sum up everything that's wrong with arrogant l***s fans then this is it.

I believe the chant goes 'we're just too good for you'...

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 10, 2017, 10:33:49 pm by mrfrostsdad »
However much we don't like it, at the present time they are a damn site better than us.
Unfortunately 

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 10, 2017, 11:05:16 pm by Red wizard »
The days of leeds been a top half never mind top six are long gone. If they manage to get promoted they'd be in a relegation scrap anyway.
Yes they have a big fan base but that means jack. Will be years of spending until they back in the top half.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 11, 2017, 10:31:48 am by hoolahoop »

(Forward to 10.50)

Oh duote author=The Mighty Brian Rowe link=topic=260710.msg674045#msg674045 date=1484081478]

(Forward to 10.50)

[/quote]

Oh deary me they get worse don't they that t**t ended up arguing with himself.
Would they be top 6 - in a word NO. However there would be plenty of money for the owners to plunder early days in the event that they did actually achieve promotion.
Is the fan Base still there still not sure,  it's a fact that throughoutter the years they have barely attracted a where near that support. They have probablyou averaged 25,000 - 30000 over the years. To average 40, 000 in a Rugby League area and againSt the backdrop of Bradford increased fanbase would be unbelieveable frankly.

Wellington Vaults

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 11, 2017, 12:38:30 pm by Wellington Vaults »
In 2003/2004, when Leeds United were relegated from the Premier League, the average home attendance was 36,666.

If Elland Road could accommodate it, 40,000 crowds in the Premier League would be perfectly feasible.  Given how poor the team have been in recent years, it is still remarkable how the clubs national and international fan base has held up.  Any decent run of form and a game against a decent team and 10,000 fans crawl out of the woodwork.  The city of Leeds has changed a lot in the last ten years and it is now one of the most fashionable cities in the UK to visit, with loads of bars, restaurants and thousands of hotel beds and the fashionista "half and half" scarf wearers would be attracted in their thousands to the Premier League.

And as a Season Ticket holder, I would find it nauseating.  Nauseating and awful.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 11, 2017, 05:27:43 pm by idler »
I think that Rovers loads of fans hate Leeds because they know Donny resident Leeds fans.
I married somebody from Leeds in 1972 and have never really had a problem working with Leeds fans. They have more stupid fans because they have far bigger gates, there are loads of decent people that support them as well.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 11, 2017, 11:56:15 pm by BobG »
Ayup Welligogs! Long time, no see. How are things?

Whether we like it or not, the PL continues to draw in punters. If Leeds go up, there'll be good crowds. If that top tier is fit to be opened it wouldn't sit there empty... I agree it's staggering how good the attendances have been these 10 years or more given the utter shite the club has had leading it as far back as that dodgy git Bates and that odious smarmball Risdale. It's not far short of a miracle that 20 odd thousand supporters continue to turn up. It promises huge support if and when the club is run properly by sensible people with a progressive plan. Leeds Utd could and should be in the PL. Whereabouts is in the lap of the Gods. But they have the support potential and the ground, if not anything else any more, to be a PL club. Take a long time and a lot of work though.....

BobG

Wellington Vaults

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 12, 2017, 12:09:22 pm by Wellington Vaults »
Greetings Bobg! I'm in rude health thanks and thrust that you are too!

I am interested by this strange concept "when the club is run properly by sensible people".  I shall do some research into that.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 12, 2017, 11:13:03 pm by BobG »
Ha ha ha ha!!! You just made me laugh out loud.

It's an odd concept tbh. And even more oddly, Rovers have got it both on and off the pitch at the moment. We didn't have it for several years though and we completely lost all sight of it a couple of decades ago - so we know what you guys must be feeling. It's a bloody hard road back...

BobG

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 13, 2017, 04:09:45 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I think that Rovers loads of fans hate Leeds because they know Donny resident Leeds fans.
I married somebody from Leeds in 1972 and have never really had a problem working with Leeds fans. They have more stupid fans because they have far bigger gates, there are loads of decent people that support them as well.

That's the reason for me. They have an inbuilt arrogance that is taught like learning a babby how to hold a bottle. They live in the town but talk as though they've never heard of us and have no affiliations with the place. I know many who support other teams and none are like that-it's a weird Leeds thing.
At school you could almost pick out who supported them with their attitude. It's a weird phenomenon being afflicted with the curse of talking to a 'Donny white'. Not all there are some good un's but they are in the nick. :laugh:

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 13, 2017, 08:07:20 am by RobTheRover »
Bloody hell,  Wellington.  Talk about sleeper cell.  Did you get the call from your handler that Donny fans were mentioning Leeds again?

;)

Nice to see you lurking,  fella.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012