Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:46:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Millwall under threat  (Read 3580 times)

albie

• Forum Member
Millwall under threat
« on January 11, 2017, 04:59:31 pm by albie »
Not Rovers I know, but some of you will be interested;
Millwall admit council scheme could force club to leave Lewisham | Football | The Guardian

Given we will cross them again sooner or later, a cause for concern.
Offshore Trusts...don't you just love em!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
Re: Millwall under threat
« Reply #1 on January 11, 2017, 05:34:01 pm by Alickismyhero »
It stinks of corruption.

ballysbackin

« Reply #2 on January 11, 2017, 05:36:03 pm by ballysbackin »
I am certainly no lover of Millwall FC, their fans or anything to do with them and I think that if this does happen, as stated it will send waves of anguish wherever a football club is near open land. The Government I do believe has allowed "Brown Belt Land" to be acquired for development and certain farmers who let their "Green Belt Land" stand idle then are on the way to selling off land.

Sounds  like Brighton, it is possible that the club play well aware from their fan base. Fans that look to their club just as Donny, Grimsby, Rotherham or the like and even Scarborough's woes were hinted at by a new ground rumour. It seems very strange at a time when the word "BREXIT" conjures up all sorts of rumour and threat to the economy that European and Offshore companies are wanting to plough money into the UK. A piece of land the sized of "Belle Bue"? well you see how much the houses are priced at and how many are built.. And in LOndon the prices are far greater. So what for Millwall who will no doubt challenge the decision next week or is it today?

Again I have no time for them nor their fans due to their antics, but what about the fans. Coventry is another who fell foul of Big Company " Premier League Clubs get what they want including a full brand new built stadium in London and in Manchester. I often wonder if the decisions to build new Stadiums has a back hander somewhere.

ballysbackin

« Reply #3 on January 11, 2017, 05:37:30 pm by ballysbackin »
Belle Vue as well. I even proof read it before sending, goes to show that nothing is idiot proof

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 11, 2017, 09:27:13 pm by BobG »
I'm a bit puzzled by this sentence in your last para Bally. I can't decide what it means. Help :)

"Again I have no time for them nor their fans due to their antics, but what about the fans."

Cheers

BobG

ballysbackin

« Reply #5 on January 11, 2017, 11:04:33 pm by ballysbackin »
I'm a bit puzzled by this sentence in your last para Bally. I can't decide what it means. Help :)

"Again I have no time for them nor their fans due to their antics, but what about the fans."

Cheers

BobG

Yes Bob....Their fans have been right Bas***** over the years , As a Club they for many years seem to admire "The Firm" and do nothing to stop their antics and even allowed a documentary to be made about "Their soldiers" instead of getting rid of them.. NOW Millwall say all that has changed, perhaps we should ask Marquis, the club have a new model of fans. It is the new breed that I feel sorry for. The 60's and 70's in this country were responsible for the ensuing deaths of some fans, to the severe beatings and damage being caused.. I am told that this no longer happens in modern football (I repeat - I am told) so the fans that are now at Liverpool. Millwall. Donny. Birmingham..Bristol Rovers.. are not responsible for the past and should be able to enjoy the freedom to watch football in peace. (Tongue in cheek). The teams mentioned were chosen by my fingers and there is no suggestion that they were or are bad crowds.

My point being that fans these days seem to be threatened by Big Money and Developers far more than we at Belle Vue ever thought would happen. Take Scunny, they sold their land at The Old Showground to Sainsbury's I believe it was. They built a ground on the outskirts of Scunny, the next thing put next to them was the pub then more and more and more. So Glandford that once stood alone on some land became trapped behind developments.

Now Scunny have to move and their land will be worth millions, so now a new ground very similar to The Keepmoat Development beside lakes (There is even a shopping development at the top end called (Lakeside Retail park) Well the new ground requires the deregulating of the M181 to the A181 so that roundabouts can be put on it (as you cannot have them on motorways). All caused by Developers and the fans lose their identity at Glandford.

Same happened at Brighton and now maybe Millwall, I hope I have expressed my reasons well enough. Some say that the developers of The Keepmoat did not think of the roadways sufficiently and the fans just have to muddle along

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 12, 2017, 08:48:43 am by bedale rover »
I think that this is some form of karma for their past behaviours

Perhaps they can re-locate to France?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 12, 2017, 09:18:22 am by The Red Baron »
They do have an infamous past, but the club does some terrific work in the local community and they have an outstanding family programme. All of that would go if this scheme goes through.

It is a very shadowy business and smacks of the worst excesses of local government corruption. Something we are familiar with in Doncaster!

And this is happening under a Labour council...

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 12, 2017, 09:49:10 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I always thought that CPOs were used for buying land by a local authority for public works such as new roads or clearing slums to build decent houses and the like. Since when has been able to be used for what appears to be a private sale??

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 12, 2017, 03:00:28 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Any club is an asset to its community, Millwall possibly more than many. Our personal opinions of some of its fans and how the club has managed that over the years is irrelevant. I wish them all the best.

The souless destruction of towns by kak handed and corrupt politicians and developers disgusts me. Still, many here will be reaping the rewards via investments and pensions funded by such things, not at all blaming, just saying how most of us are hooked into this.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 12, 2017, 03:42:25 pm by albie »
Bally makes a good point about the property values in the south squeezing the smaller clubs.

It makes it attractive for sharks like hedge funds and offshore trusts to identify  possible targets for takeover and change of use to residential or commercial.

My uncle (who took me to Rovers as a kid), always thought it was best for the Council to own Belle Vue, because wrong uns would see the site as being worth more than the club.

Uncle Ken tried it on, but a fatal combination of greed and stupidity ran ahead of him. Good job for us that he wasn't clever enough.

In London, I thought Orient would be vulnerable. West Ham have pitched up just down the road, and the Olympic Stadium has raised the profile of the area.

It would not take too much to run the club down before cashing in. Absentee owners, change of manager every 3 months,lower the wage bill by selling off any talent...sounds a familiar story.

Smaller clubs look like easy pickings to the vultures. It happened before in East London, when a series of mergers of some big non league clubs ended up with Dagenham and Redbridge as the final football format.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 12, 2017, 04:08:14 pm by VivaRovers »
I think that this is some form of karma for their past behaviours

Perhaps they can re-locate to France?

Give over, you can't wish that on any club. It's not the behaviour of the club, or the fans is it, but a minority of idiots (and even at Millwall, with their reputation, it is a minority).

As TRB says they do a hell of a lot in the local community (I live in the same borough) with great initiatives for kids and they get their coaches out and about to schools and youth groups too. A few years ago, when Lewisham Hospital A&E was threatened with closure, Millwall moved a home game to the Friday night, so that the fans, staff and players could join in with protest marches against the closure on the Saturday.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 25, 2017, 07:38:34 pm by wilts rover »
Good news for Millwall. Do to public pressure Lewisham Council have been forced to drop their development plans.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/25/millwall-cpo-scrapped-lewisham-mayor?CMP=share_btn_tw

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 25, 2017, 09:46:05 pm by BobG »
Splendid. Thank you Paul.

Bob

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 27, 2017, 02:45:48 am by Sammy Chung was King »
As much as i don't think much to how a small portion of their fans behave at games, i wouldn't wish them losing their ground. People forget if the government does it with one club it gives them confidence to do it again to somebody else. I'm glad sense has been seen and it's not happening.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012