Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:17:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ian Lawlor  (Read 18903 times)

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
Ian Lawlor
« on January 12, 2017, 04:47:32 pm by Bessie Red »
Rovers look to be signing goalkeeper Ian Lawlor on 2 and half year deal!!
He is currently at Man City.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Ian Lawlor
« Reply #1 on January 12, 2017, 04:49:27 pm by The Red Baron »
I thought a number of clubs were in for him?

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 12, 2017, 04:50:40 pm by Bessie Red »
Irish Sun stating its a done deal

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 12, 2017, 04:55:16 pm by Wild Rover »
https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/422171/irish-goalkeeper-ian-lawlor-set-to-cut-ties-with-manchester-city-and-join-doncaster-rovers/

Though having lived in Ireland since 2000 and up to 2014 I wouldn't say its reliable source of information.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 12, 2017, 05:00:23 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Anyone know if he is he any relation to Kit and Jimmy Lawlor who played for us in the 1950's? They all seem to be from Dublin.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 12, 2017, 05:05:31 pm by DonnyOsmond »
So 3 keepers all aged 22.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 12, 2017, 05:42:26 pm by DearneValleyRover »
According to the local rag in Bristol he's signing for a different Rovers

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 12, 2017, 05:45:07 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
He fits in with what Fergie said he was looking for, Competition then he would decide who starts. It almost told you it wasn't going to be an experienced keeper who would expect to start. Never heard of the fella, let's hope he's a good one. It makes sense rather than bringing short term experienced players in the rebuilding of our squad continues.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 12, 2017, 05:45:15 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Shamrock Rovers?

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 12, 2017, 05:47:07 pm by deebee »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 12, 2017, 05:53:34 pm by The Red Baron »
He seems to have let in quite a lot of goals last season. Might not be his fault, of course.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=76214&season_id=145

ballysbackin

« Reply #11 on January 12, 2017, 05:56:12 pm by ballysbackin »
If he played for HOME FARM, he will be no slouch, he also moved to City again no slouch.. On Etheridge, just a point that he may just follow the same path as Marosi and be second choice for a long spell, Marosi took his time over his current contract but by the hell the goalkeeping coaches have certainly done their job.. I believe that Etheridge may have to follow the same path but if it works for him then he will be a far better keeper. If we sign Lawlor then we do. Nothing coming from Donny at the moment but no surprises there as Conor GRant's arrival was kept quiet as Mr F stated, it was kept quiet so Stevenage could not prepare for him.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 12, 2017, 05:58:41 pm by IDM »
Regardless, we should play Etheridge on Saturday - his only way to maintain confidence is to play.  It is a long time now since that Wycombe game??

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 12, 2017, 06:19:12 pm by Bessie Red »

That's states it would be a loan deal. The article in the Irish Sun is stating its a two & half year contract with Donny.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 12, 2017, 06:30:22 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I think we have two good one's in Etheridge and Marosi. They both have work to do on improving some aspects of their game-that's to be expected at this level. Marosi is one of our biggest surprises in how well he has done.
Lawlor hopefully adds to what we already have in quality plus young Jones who when fit can now maybe have a loan spell for a bit of experience.
I prefer to be honest that he has gone for somebody who has improvement in them rather than an experienced guy.

When i think about it we have all the experience we need to bring them on in Paul Gerrard. I thought before we needed experience, long term it's better to do it this way.
As Bally said starting at Home Farm then being recruited by City tells you he has something. It's just lack of opportunities more than likely due to those in front of him. Whoever starts the games i think we will be alright.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 12, 2017, 07:16:44 pm by roversdude »
Maybe just stick Gerrard on the bench

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 12, 2017, 09:27:38 pm by BobG »
If this story is true, what's a 4th division club doing with 4 professional goalkeepers? Who's going to end up being shipped out?

BobG

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 12, 2017, 09:33:51 pm by drfchound »
He seems to have let in quite a lot of goals last season. Might not be his fault, of course.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=76214&season_id=145

It can't have gone unnoticed that Marosi has let in quite a few goals so far this season, compared to other teams in the top half of our division, but we are all gutted that he is potentially out for the rest of the season.

Irrespective of individual players feelings though, DF has to play the keeper that he feels is the most benefit to the team.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 12, 2017, 10:01:15 pm by The Red Baron »
If this story is true, what's a 4th division club doing with 4 professional goalkeepers? Who's going to end up being shipped out?

BobG

Three, Bob. Jones is a 2nd year YT. Also one of the three is out for 3 months.

I must admit I thought a loan was more likely than a permanent signing.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 12, 2017, 11:20:57 pm by BobG »
I know one is out knackered John. But 4 goalies is still quite a lot... But as you educated me about Jones it's actually 3 goalies and a YTS lad. That's ok until they're all fit. Once that happens, surely it's too many to have on the books permanently?

Cheers :)

Bob

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 13, 2017, 03:04:37 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Fergie has a fair few on the wage bill now. I suspect a few will be going out at least on loan. Some he can't loan out ofcourse because they are injured. If Lawlor comes in i  would make that twenty nine professionals on the books, that is a lot for this level.
A few of them are graduates from the youth side but most are professionals on decent wages. The way the injuries have gone he hasn't had much choice.

I would expect Evina to join somebody in this window. Though i don't understand why he isn't retained and used as an alternative playing wide left. Keegan might go out during this window to free up wages and rely on Middleton as back up. Though i don't think he will let Keegan leave with the experience he has not after last year.
We still have Marosi, Lund, McCullough, McSheffrey, Taylor-Sinclair and Jones injured,  half a team just in injuries. We have twenty eight pro's, more if you add Fielding-five unavailable so that takes us to twenty three available-three of those only with Checkatrade appearances and two in May and Beestin who are relatively inexperienced at this level.
He is having to try and cover everything that could happen just in this window-not easy.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 13, 2017, 05:45:38 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
This sounds like agent talk to lever a move for his player. I very much doubt the detail of 2 1/2 years would be known.

Well, his names been circulated now.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 13, 2017, 08:02:20 am by IDM »
Why would Keegan go, if he is currently a regular in the matchday squad?

Sod This For a Laugh

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 13, 2017, 08:29:20 am by Sod This For a Laugh »
Signed permanent until 2019 according to Yorkshire post

DannyRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 13, 2017, 09:04:56 am by DannyRovers »
Signed permanent until 2019 according to Yorkshire post

It appears that article has been removed as I can't see it. Maybe they accidentally released it a little early. Think if we got this guy it would be a brilliant signing, be a lot of competition once Marosi was back fit.

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 13, 2017, 09:26:15 am by donny dave »
I have just looked on the News now site and it has a link but seems to not work now.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 13, 2017, 10:00:34 am by swintonrover »
Confirmed on Rovers twitter

Tom-RTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 13, 2017, 10:01:30 am by Tom-RTID »
Signs on a 2 and a half year deal

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member