Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:10:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ian Lawlor  (Read 18839 times)

Haxey-Hood-DRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Ian Lawlor
« Reply #30 on January 13, 2017, 10:07:38 am by Haxey-Hood-DRFC »
This is showing some real intent. Now we're sitting on top of the league, you get the feeling Fergie and the directors are doing all they can to ensure we stay there.
We can't take anything for granted - and there are many more points to play for - but this is a positive move!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 13, 2017, 10:11:51 am by wing commander »
   I'm gobsmacked by this and cant get my head around it tbh....A loan I could understand but a permanent ??? That means that either Marosi wont get a new deal which is baffling or that he has already made up his mind that he's dropped a clanger with Ross...A club our size cant carry 4 keepers on the books that's for sure so one of our current 2 senior keepers will be on there way in the summer....Bad decision for me but I'm biased because I think Marosi could go far....

DannyRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 13, 2017, 10:12:34 am by DannyRovers »
Great to be able to get a player of this sort of pedigree on a permanent deal. hopefully he can come on as a player with us as we come on as a team  :scarf:

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 13, 2017, 10:14:23 am by DonnyOsmond »
   I'm gobsmacked by this and cant get my head around it tbh....A loan I could understand but a permanent ??? That means that either Marosi wont get a new deal which is baffling or that he has already made up his mind that he's dropped a clanger with Ross...A club our size cant carry 4 keepers on the books that's for sure so one of our current 2 senior keepers will be on there way in the summer....Bad decision for me but I'm biased because I think Marosi could go far....

I'm with you. Odd signing seeing as we've got two young keepers as it is. We just needed a loan till the end of the season.

DannyRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 13, 2017, 10:21:02 am by DannyRovers »

I think its a combination of both. Etheridge just hasn't performed and we have seen whilst Fergie has been here, he isn't afraid to admit he may have done the wrong thing. Evina's new deal is another example. For me, Marosi will make a great back up keeper as we hopefully go up the leagues. He has been great this  season don't get me wrong but his relatively small size and presence for a keeper has always worried me, especially if we were to climb up the divisions.

At 6ft 4 and 22 with a bit of international experiance, Lawlor is in a great position to become a good keeper.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on January 13, 2017, 10:22:21 am by GazLaz »
The Irish Sun knew.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on January 13, 2017, 10:25:08 am by BobG »
It's all them leprachauns they have for breakfast.

BobG

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 13, 2017, 10:28:08 am by GazLaz »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tlMwPOuP0y8

Looks shocking on this video and these are his best bits!

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 13, 2017, 10:40:22 am by wing commander »

I think its a combination of both. Etheridge just hasn't performed and we have seen whilst Fergie has been here, he isn't afraid to admit he may have done the wrong thing. Evina's new deal is another example. For me, Marosi will make a great back up keeper as we hopefully go up the leagues. He has been great this  season don't get me wrong but his relatively small size and presence for a keeper has always worried me, especially if we were to climb up the divisions.

At 6ft 4 and 22 with a bit of international experiance, Lawlor is in a great position to become a good keeper.

Well I disagree,i think Marosi has everything he needs to be a top keeper..He's a great shot stopper,something we haven't had for a long time..His handling has come on leaps and bounds and his distribution has come on,he is more than capable of being a top league 1 keeper and wont have any desire to be back up anymore..He's done that to learn his trade...We have a budget same as everyone else and have to make the best use of it...And I simply don't see how this signing falls into that...
     I've always been a fan of DF,but I don't think he knows a good keeper if he bumped into him....We just needed a loan till the end of the season,see how Etheridge does with the loan as back up if he struggles and then look at it in the summer.....To sign someone permanent now will knock the others confidence...For once I would have preferred the board to have refused this deal....

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 13, 2017, 10:46:07 am by GazLaz »

Well I disagree,i think Marosi has everything he needs to be a top keeper..He's a great shot stopper,something we haven't had for a long time..His handling has come on leaps and bounds and his distribution has come on,he is more than capable of being a top league 1 keeper and wont have any desire to be back up anymore..He's done that to learn his trade...We have a budget same as everyone else and have to make the best use of it...And I simply don't see how this signing falls into that...
     I've always been a fan of DF,but I don't think he knows a good keeper if he bumped into him....We just needed a loan till the end of the season,see how Etheridge does with the loan as back up if he struggles and then look at it in the summer.....To sign someone permanent now will knock the others confidence...For once I would have preferred the board to have refused this deal....

If it knocks their confidence they don't have the right mentality to make it anyway. Especially as a goalkeeper.

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on January 13, 2017, 10:56:30 am by RoversDave »
It's a wonder anyone signs for us with the welcome they get on here, kicked in the teeth before they get the shirt on.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on January 13, 2017, 10:58:43 am by Rovers Return »
It's a wonder anyone signs for us with the welcome they get on here, kicked in the teeth before they get the shirt on.

I was just thinking the same.

I'm always amused how people second guess the thinking pattern of the club/directors/managers and then when all is revealed....silence! It takes up so much energy.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 13, 2017, 10:59:31 am by GazLaz »

This must be the first place they look after they sign as well.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on January 13, 2017, 11:01:13 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
This sounds like agent talk to lever a move for his player. I very much doubt the detail of 2 1/2 years would be known.

Well, his names been circulated now.

Wtf do I know. Not a lot!

Welcome young man. Good luck!

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 13, 2017, 11:03:50 am by donny dave »
He get's a big welcome from me.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 13, 2017, 11:05:29 am by roversam »
 Lawlor might be capable of actually  commanding his  area and leaping up to catch  crosses  something  that Marosi  never does.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on January 13, 2017, 11:08:09 am by silent majority »
My understanding is that if the right goalkeeper came along they would sign him up, and if he didn't then they would have bided their time. They obviously think this lad is the right one.
Welcome!

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 13, 2017, 11:10:22 am by Rovers Return »
My understanding is that if the right goalkeeper came along they would sign him up, and if he didn't then they would have bided their time. They obviously think this lad is the right one.
Welcome!

So do these!

https://youtu.be/eJK-N8joVPk

Lad cant half save a penno!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 13, 2017, 11:14:34 am by DonnyOsmond »

No one's said anything bad about him.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on January 13, 2017, 11:16:37 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Looks like he's got a bit of arrogance about him. Likes a punch!

Good penalty saves and shows he thinks and studies his opponents.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 13, 2017, 11:22:02 am by rtid88 »
I find it incredibly exciting the fact that we have signed a player of this calibre and that our board clearly have full trust in Fergie and the plan that he has for this team. Yes having 3 keepers on the books is perhaps a bit extreme but when you have a player like this available than it is obviously too good an opportunity to miss out on. Well done Fergie and the Board!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 13, 2017, 11:23:21 am by GazLaz »
His distribution will have been a big thing for Fergie. Marosi's isn't very good.

DannyRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on January 13, 2017, 11:24:45 am by DannyRovers »

If it knocks their confidence they don't have the right mentality to make it anyway. Especially as a goalkeeper.

Most Keepers are good shot stoppers, its the first thing they learn. You have to have much more than that the higher the division you go. Totally agree on the comment about confidence. Keepers need to have thick skin and if you don't have that you aren't going to get far in the game realistically.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on January 13, 2017, 11:25:54 am by DearneValleyRover »
Looks like he's got a bit of arrogance about him. Likes a punch!

Good penalty saves and shows he thinks and studies his opponents.

I think arrogance is a good trait in a keeper, most of the top keepers have in the past.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 13, 2017, 11:40:23 am by wing commander »

Then your misunderstand my point...I wasnt discussing him personally ,i've never seen him play to make a judgement on him..I was discussing the position at the club as to the budget we operate, and if we get there League 1...it's getting the best value....
    Someone will have to go in the summer and that's probably going to be Marosi as he's out of contract and easiest to move on...And he's a player I rate higher than most on here obviously...

PopStander

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on January 13, 2017, 11:41:45 am by PopStander »
Good signing. Think Etheridge will go. Now Russ Wilcox is in charge of recruitment we're getting rid of crap and getting decent players in.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on January 13, 2017, 11:48:01 am by Campsall rover »
Marosi is an excellent shot stopper but he does not command his 6 yard box in the air. He is very weak in that department.
I see Lawler as a very astute signing as we go up the leagues.
Time will tel but as of now very well done to DF and the board.
They are showing the ambition I said they would.
I notice all the negativity towards the board has gone extremely quiet on here.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on January 13, 2017, 11:58:37 am by bpoolrover »
Seems a good signing and we needed a keeper so all is good, the negativity towards the board has gone as they have done what the negative people wanted

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 13, 2017, 12:07:52 pm by donny dave »
Do we pay a fee?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on January 13, 2017, 12:15:50 pm by the vicar »
Welcome!
Get off the lads back, he ant even played for us yet and people are at his throat already, at least let him pull a shirt on

So do these!

https://youtu.be/eJK-N8joVPk

Lad cant half save a penno!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012