Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:37:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ian Lawlor  (Read 18838 times)

ballysbackin

Re: Ian Lawlor
« Reply #60 on January 13, 2017, 12:17:06 pm by ballysbackin »
Nobody knows on here the deal itself, perhaps City said. "If you want him you buy him" they too have a big wage bill

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on January 13, 2017, 12:19:40 pm by silent majority »
My understanding is that if the right goalkeeper came along they would sign him up, and if he didn't then they would have bided their time. They obviously think this lad is the right one.
Welcome!
Get off the lads back, he ant even played for us yet and people are at his throat already, at least let him pull a shirt on

So do these!

https://youtu.be/eJK-N8joVPk

Lad cant half save a penno!

Are you referring to me Vicar? I think you may be quoting the wrong people here.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on January 13, 2017, 12:22:44 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
His distribution will have been a big thing for Fergie. Marosi's isn't very good.
His distribution will have been a big thing for Fergie. Marosi's isn't very good.

A little harsh on him. He's been improving in all aspects of the game and you could see more recently he was releasing the ball without hesitation. The superb 2nd goal v Portsmouth started from Marosi.

It works two ways. Players have got to have confidence in each other. You often see defenders showing for ball but they don't actually want it. A keeper has to decide quickly if the pass is on. He didn't always get it right earlier in the season.

Alcock, Baudry, Mason all being better footballers and knowing DF wants it played quickly, make sure they're ready to receive the ball. That helped Marosi's confidence.

I hope it doesn't take long for this lad to build up the rapport with those in front of him.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on January 13, 2017, 12:26:46 pm by craigdrfc »
Very astute signing if you ask me, and shows that DF certainly has the 'pull factor' when it comes to speaking with players. This boy obviously had the choice of League 2 when it came to a move, inc clubs like Pompey would have also been offering him decent money and the realistic possibility of moving up the leagues in time.

In terms of the 3 keepers, I suspect that Lawlor will be our first choice now, Ross will deputise for the rest of the season until Marko is fit again. I can see Ross being shipped out on loan next season and will, in time, leave the club.

Let’s wait and see though.....

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/ian-lawlor-who-is-the-manchester-city-goalkeeper-being-linked-with-league-one-bristol-rovers/story-30052904-detail/story.html

the lot above also had some "east european" named goalie on trial judging by the name and decided not to sign him yesterday - obviously when a bigger club came in they had no chance   I'D guess at 100k +20% sell onl  ?

Pepsi Guadiola will obviously have taught him "tesco style" distribution so another piece fits in the jigsaw -- we all know you strengthen when you are at the top - hopefully one very very big piece to come

for tommorrow remember he was on loan at barnet so knows all about Akindes penalties

by the way Plymouth couldbe getting even more £-s-d  as they have a 20% sell on clause on A dingle that might be sold soon

Partington has funnily enough just gone to bristol rovers

carlisle just signed one in the Chesterfield fire sale obviously they can only afford to shop at "LIDDLE"

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on January 13, 2017, 12:46:20 pm by RoversAlias »
Seems a good signing to me, got plenty of pedigree and is a big, strong player. Been in the Ireland senior team, kept clean sheets in nearly 50% (7 in 15) of his games for Bury last season in the league above, and could be a good project for Fergie. I expect Fergie/Wilcox went looking for a goalie to fill in until the end of the season and came across Lawlor, who it then transpired was able on a permanent deal so we've taken the opportunity to strengthen our squad which is a good thing and the signing shows ambition and backing from the board.

I think having three young keepers is one too many, yes, but it seems clear now that one will leave in the summer. I'd expect it to be Etheridge, maybe Fergie has decided enough is enough with him unless he can impress between now and the summer. Marosi has performed well and has been unlucky to get injured, he showed enough without even getting games to warrant a new deal last summer so surely Fergie likes him enough to keep him around?

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on January 13, 2017, 12:52:49 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Seems a good signing to me, got plenty of pedigree and is a big, strong player. Been in the Ireland senior team, kept clean sheets in nearly 50% (7 in 15) of his games for Bury last season in the league above, and could be a good project for Fergie. I expect Fergie/Wilcox went looking for a goalie to fill in until the end of the season and came across Lawlor, who it then transpired was able on a permanent deal so we've taken the opportunity to strengthen our squad which is a good thing and the signing shows ambition and backing from the board.

I think having three young keepers is one too many, yes, but it seems clear now that one will leave in the summer. I'd expect it to be Etheridge, maybe Fergie has decided enough is enough with him unless he can impress between now and the summer. Marosi has performed well and has been unlucky to get injured, he showed enough without even getting games to warrant a new deal last summer so surely Fergie likes him enough to keep him around?

I tend to agree with all that

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on January 13, 2017, 12:57:26 pm by rover-n-out »
Excellent signing for me. Welcome to Doncaster Ian, and the best of luck to you.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on January 13, 2017, 01:49:43 pm by Bezza »
great signing for me as well, this lad could be a diamond.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on January 13, 2017, 02:08:48 pm by Alan Southstand »
It's a big welcome from me.

IMHO, something that we were missing - a big unit as a last line of defence, hopefully someone who can Marshall the troops in front of him and not be afraid to be vocal ( an area where Marko is weak). I see him going straight in the team as he has good experience at this level. It will, of course, depend on how training goes today.

I'll bet the only way we have been able to get him is by signing him permanently, so well done for getting it done. It may well be that we have had offers for Marko or, like others have alluded to, maybe Etheridge is just not settling in. Either way, we've taken action and that is a million miles away from where we were this time last year! Someone once said, 'you get nowhere in this game by standing still' and this time it definitely isn't us that that saying can be aimed at. Now, a proper left back would be the icing on the not-so considerable cake.

:thumbsup:

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on January 13, 2017, 03:09:34 pm by albie »
Now would be a great time to offer Marosi a new deal, and get him signed up for the next 2 years.
It would say to the lad that he is a part of the plan going forward, and can compete for the shirt when fit again.

I assume we need to make a decision about Jones in the near future. Not having seen him play, it is difficult to know, but he would be cheap on a 1or 2 year deal, loaned out to get experience.

All of which leaves Dame Edna between a rock and a hard place. I hope he responds well and fights his corner, and good luck if he gets the nod at Barnet.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on January 13, 2017, 03:30:32 pm by roversdude »
Bloody rubbish board should have at least got Joe Hart lol
Another great signing well done guys

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on January 13, 2017, 03:42:49 pm by andyst79 »
Good signing, think him & Marosi will battle it out for the No 1 Jersey next season. Surprised at some of the comments about Marosi as I think he's been a match winner for us on a few occasions this season.

donnyfan2

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on January 13, 2017, 04:42:04 pm by donnyfan2 »
In my opinion lawler is a great signing, Marosi has become a good shot stopper but hes simply not tall enough to command his area, hats off to fergie for a great signing.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on January 13, 2017, 04:44:22 pm by les@donr »
Excellent signing, Ian welcome to Rovers.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on January 13, 2017, 04:45:35 pm by GazLaz »
How can people be so sure he's a good signing without ever having seen him play or not even probably heard of him before. I assume you are using the theory that he was 100th choice at City and has played for the U21s for a third world country??

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 13, 2017, 04:55:39 pm by RedRover »
Unless I'm mistaken Marosi's contract runs out at the end of the season so if we wanted him to resign I'm not sure we'd of gone and signed another keeper permanently. Perhaps Fergie and staff see Etheridge or Jones as better long term prospects than Marko and have brought Lawlor in to be first choice now? 

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on January 13, 2017, 05:14:12 pm by Al4475 »
I may be wrong but I think marosi extended his deal earlier this season! My city sth has seen lawlor play and says he expects him to be a success here. City obviously have bravo and cabellero as no 1 and 2 Hart won't be returning there for a reason not yet public knowledge apparently and they also have the very highly rated Angus Gunn on their books so lawlor was at best 4th or 5th choice!

Marosi has been impressive and etheridge can still come good! Potentially 3 very good young goalies on our books - great strength in depth!

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on January 13, 2017, 05:39:21 pm by Avsuptem »
I think this will prove to be a great signing and I cant understand why anyone would question the wisdom. With Marosi out for 3 months we only have one keeper and a young lad, if Etheridge was injured or does not perform we would be in danger of throwing away our position at the top of the table. We had to sign another keeper and given that the deal was done so quickly I suspect this has been on the cards for some time. The fact that he has come to Donny when he would doubtless have had other offers reflects the pulling power that being top of the table and having DF as a manager gives us. I expect he will go straight in the side tomorrow. Happy days !

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on January 13, 2017, 07:09:23 pm by BigKeif »
Why not offer marosi a new deal as in mine and plenty of other rovers fans on here think he deserves it and loan jones and either marosi or etheridge out next season and have the other as back up. All young so all could reach potential once playing regularly so be best to loan out I'd have thought and then we have option to bring back if we get injuries to any of other two. Welcome Ian lawlor too, let's hope you do well!

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on January 13, 2017, 07:27:01 pm by RedRover »
I may be wrong but I think marosi extended his deal earlier this season!

It was before the season, June last year and it was a 1 year extension until June 2017 or basically the end of this season! I can't help thinking if DF wanted to keep him and had been as impressed by his recent performances as most on here have been he'd of already offered him a new deal by now and most certainly wouldn't of gone and signed Lawlor. That or he doesn't expect Marko to sign another contract with us.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on January 13, 2017, 07:52:03 pm by rich1471 »
Marosi only signed until the end of this season

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on January 13, 2017, 08:09:13 pm by pib »
Lawlor might be capable of actually  commanding his  area and leaping up to catch  crosses  something  that Marosi  never does.

Would've agreed with you a few months ago but I think that side of Marko's game has improved massively as the season has progressed

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on January 13, 2017, 08:20:56 pm by drfchound »
The fact is that we only have four keepers right now because Marosi has suffered a long term injury.
DF had to make a decision and he chose to bring Lawlor in and it hopefully will be a good one.
To suggest that we should play Etheridge and see how we go for a few games is crackers.
We have put ourselves in a great position, DF appears to not have a lot of confidence in Etheridge and after the collapse of last season he won't want a repeat.
Irrespective of individual feelings the team has to come first.
I too expect Lawlor to play at Barnet and for him to be first choice.
When I heard about this signing I mentioned it to some workmates who usually pooh pooh what I consider to be important news about the Rovers but to my surprise they said it is a big statement signing by the club.
Well done DF and from someone (me) who hasn't been a fan of our board, thank you DW and TB for helping things to get this far.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on January 13, 2017, 08:42:41 pm by RedJ »
I may be wrong but I think marosi extended his deal earlier this season!

It was before the season, June last year and it was a 1 year extension until June 2017 or basically the end of this season! I can't help thinking if DF wanted to keep him and had been as impressed by his recent performances as most on here have been he'd of already offered him a new deal by now and most certainly wouldn't of gone and signed Lawlor. That or he doesn't expect Marko to sign another contract with us.

Maybe he was burned by what happened with Tyson and Evina. Both kind of went to shit after signing extensions.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on January 13, 2017, 08:43:17 pm by NickDRFC »
Not sure I get why your workmates would call it a statement signing. The last player we signed from Man City was Reece Wabara.

Not saying this guy won't be decent, but just because he has come from Man City reserve youth team doesn't mean he will definitely be any good.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on January 13, 2017, 09:01:02 pm by drfchound »
Wabbara hadn't been in a full International squad and been rated by a coach as good as Pep to be included in his first team squad.
The video posted of Lawlor on here indicates just how good he can be.
Also he chose us over higher placed clubs and has signed for two and a half years.
Maybe my mates recognised that we have signed a good keeper in the face of higher league opposition?

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on January 13, 2017, 09:11:55 pm by 5minstogo »
I think it's a bit of a slap in the face for Marko. Lawlor has come here to be Number 1. That leaves Marko and Ross battling out for the bench.  Marko has improved fantastically in the first half of the season and deserves a new contract, whether he'll want that knowing he'll be on the bench I'm not sure.

If Lawlor improves the first 11 then to you and me it matters not, I just feel for Marko and the timing of his injury.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on January 13, 2017, 10:10:13 pm by drfchound »
So do I, I rate Marco highly and have been singing his praises all season.
However he is injured and the club have to do what they think is right to keep us in promotion contention.
IMO, Marosi is a better keeper than Etheridge but we won't have him available for about three months and DF has to take this decision.
It is after all, his job on the line if the promotion push falls apart.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on January 13, 2017, 10:17:58 pm by the vicar »
My understanding is that if the right goalkeeper came along they would sign him up, and if he didn't then they would have bided their time. They obviously think this lad is the right one.
Welcome!
Get off the lads back, he ant even played for us yet and people are at his throat already, at least let him pull a shirt on

So do these!

https://youtu.be/eJK-N8joVPk

Lad cant half save a penno!

Are you referring to me Vicar? I think you may be quoting the wrong people here.
no SM i was not referring to you it was something  Rovers return said saying he looks shocking

TinyPortal © 2005-2012