Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:16:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: York City  (Read 7686 times)

les@donr

• Forum Member
York City
« on January 13, 2017, 05:01:46 pm by les@donr »
It's sad times at Bootham Crescent, York face the real possibility of a second successive relegation. It will be real blow to the club to end up in National North League, there are some decent teams in that league and it is a struggle to get out of the league, ask Stockport. We need as many local clubs to do well, including York City. Their lavatories need a serious upgrade.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
Re: York City
« Reply #1 on January 13, 2017, 05:30:14 pm by Donny Exile in York »
I second that Les, very worrying times down at Bootham Crescent. Saw them on New Years day get beat to then bottom North Ferriby and they were awful. So it's looking bleak. Hopefully Jon the Beast Parkin can help them quickly turn their problems round!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 13, 2017, 06:45:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, their recovery was all to brief. Issues with are they, aren't they, moving to a new ground hasn't helped. It must be very depressing being a York fan at the mo. I wish them well.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 13, 2017, 08:24:27 pm by craigdrfc »
Loved the games against them in the early/mid 80's. They had a good side at our level with players like Byrne, Walwyn, Sbragia, Bantin etc.

ballysbackin

« Reply #4 on January 13, 2017, 09:31:10 pm by ballysbackin »
I have a mate who supports them, the new ground is up and down because of York City Council and the ARMy have sold land adjacent to Bootham, there are to be big housing developments and the Owner of York City was counting on everything being done and dusted. The same problems effect York City Knights who play at Bootham. I do not see much changing because the Council prompted by York City have given them permission to share the ground with City to ensure the two sports survive.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 13, 2017, 09:50:42 pm by roversontheup »
The current owner has put so much into the club but just like Rovers they need a new ground. The maintenance of Bootham Crescent is huge and there is no other income from it. We were so lucky to have Martin Winters being in favour of our new ground.  York font have an ally on the council. I hope for the sake of their club that the ground doesn't keep getting put back.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 13, 2017, 11:22:53 pm by Pancho Regan »
I never want to see a fellow Yorkshire club sink in the way York City are doing, but surely there is something going badly wrong in the running if this once-proud club?

As always, it's the fans I feel sorry for. We've rubbed shoulders for many years with York and I have many memories of walking down Bootham Crescent to that little ground. And I will never forgive them their toilets.... only Belle Vue was worse!

But to play Devil's Advocate, I have links with Guiseley FC who are fighting for survival in the National League and one of their rivals in avoiding relegation is York City.
So, in the law of the jungle, the fittest survive.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 14, 2017, 03:11:43 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Very sad to see them in this situation. York are a club it's very hard not to like. They have always seemed a friendly community orientated club.
It's been going downhill for sometime there. I'm surprised nobody sees potential in them a good club in a beautiful city, with the potential for good crowds when they do well.
If you got the right man or woman in charge there you could do well with them. They are probably in need of a new stadium let's hope they get a bit of luck in having somebody on the council who see's how important it is to have a football club doing well.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 14, 2017, 10:44:50 pm by les@donr »
I've had a soft spot for York, despite them giving Andy Warrington grief when we played them at BC in our Div 3 promotion season, and I think  they went down to the Conf. Their decline has been rapid, a year go they were playing in Lg 2, now they are starring at a second relegation to Nat. North, which seems to be a dumping ground for ex-lg sides.

ballysbackin

« Reply #9 on January 15, 2017, 10:18:35 am by ballysbackin »
The owner is losing pound on pound and as stated elsewhere it was a good job Martin Winter was on Donny Council..  Bootham is carrying two struggling clubs and the money is not coming in and one man cannot sustain it all, fair play to Leeds who sent a good side pre season and many fans to aid York's finances. Boro too. A once proud club, a bit of luck towards second half of the season I hope. Always a good place to go.. The Capital City of Yorkshire do not forget... AND if there is to be a ONE YORKSHIRE region instead of a Greater Sheffield Region, then what price York being the seat of the Mayor. I would hope so....

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 15, 2017, 10:24:40 am by The Red Baron »
You can bet which city will dominate a Yorkshire Region. And it won't be York!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 15, 2017, 12:10:23 pm by RedJ »
We all hate...

ballysbackin

« Reply #12 on January 15, 2017, 01:36:17 pm by ballysbackin »
Yes BUT it was York in past times that governed the County as it was The House of York and not the House of Weeds which I think was in the area of Northumbria and was Saxon

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 16, 2017, 12:40:46 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Once the capital of England for a short time as was Colchester. I know we are not a massive side in crowd terms but it would be good if we arrange a pre season friendly with them this coming summer. The smaller Yorkshire sides should help each other out where they can.
We were once in a similar position it isn't nice for the supporters who follow them no matter how low they drop. When you're doing well i always think it's good to help others become stronger. Whether that be a friendly or loaning players to them.

ballysbackin

« Reply #14 on January 16, 2017, 11:13:35 am by ballysbackin »
Yes there would certainly be a decent crowd on a Saturday pre season, so that it two arranged maybe.. In York and Kidderminster

DRFC-Hanksie

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 16, 2017, 12:09:08 pm by DRFC-Hanksie »
You can bet which city will dominate a Yorkshire Region. And it won't be York!

It's the epicentre of the earth if you've ever watched Look North.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 16, 2017, 12:58:35 pm by Mike_F »
I always enjoy a trip to York. 20 minutes on the train and loads of great boozers for a day out. It can get a bit hairy though; their firm always seem to turn up when Donny are in town.

Bogs are a disgrace.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 16, 2017, 11:26:30 pm by les@donr »
I hope York doesn't go to the wall if relegated, they were close to going under a few years ago.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 17, 2017, 03:25:44 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Unknown to most premier league clubs, clubs like York are just as important as your Man utd and Liverpool's. Teams like them and ourselves and others are the backbone of English football-the premier league teams are just the dream topping on top of the jelly.
I've said it before Yorkshire sides should have a fund put to the side where each club contributes and when one of those sides is in terrible trouble there would be money to help that side out. Football is too much about only you're own side.

The Yorkshire non league sides would benefit from something similar. Imagine a few of the sides come through from Conference north to the football league and when they get there they still continued to put a bit in the pot for others lower down.
This would help Yorkshire football compete better and also have a chance of getting up there themselves. Look at us conference to the championship. Think how strong those lower down would be if we had give a bit to help those struggling to even maintain a club.

That help could make the difference. A club could one season be struggling to keep going. A few quid to keep them going and the next season they recover and have a cup run and all of a sudden things are brighter.
Teams like Frickley just imagine the help it would give if say you went a step further where it wasn't a crisis fund. It was a fund where Yorkshire teams needing help are supported by those clubs doing better like us. We wouldn't have any rights to expect anything from them, we would be one of many trying to make sure our football stays strong and competitive and the players that would produce would benefit us as the buying club and them as the selling club.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 17, 2017, 03:17:23 pm by RedJ »
You're living in a dream world, mate.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 17, 2017, 03:38:18 pm by GazLaz »
It would just make make clubs more likely to be run badly knowing they will have a life line.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 17, 2017, 05:20:02 pm by silent majority »
The situation at York is a lot more complicated than has been alluded to on here. If you remember the history a previous Chairman separated the club from its asset, the stadium, and then put the club up for sale. A new guy called John Batchelor moved in and promised all supporters he was the saviour of the club and they could stay there until the new stadium was built. He reneged on that pretty quickly and went from good guy to bad guy overnight, obtained planning permission to build houses on the land and tried to evict the club.
 Utilising an FSIF loan the supporters trust took ownership of the stadium on what was meant to be a temporary basis until the new stadium was built. The loan would then transfer to a grant to facilitate the transfer from one to the other. The trust, as time went on, struggled to make ends meet so they transferred the club to the McGill family who were big supporters of the trust then, and still are today.
Unfortunately the FSIF loan had strings attached, and the deal for the new stadium should have been completed in 2007, here we are 10 years later and it still hasn't happened. And there lies the problem, without something happening pretty quickly things will get much worse.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 17, 2017, 09:18:56 pm by les@donr »
SM, with your knowledge of the York City situation, do you think a further relegation could see the end of the club?

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 17, 2017, 10:20:44 pm by roversontheup »
Tomorrow is an important date for them as the result of the challenge re the cinema is due. A Vue cinema is tied in with the new ground development but another cinema company (can't remember which) has challenged it. If they win then goodness only knows where that leaves them!!
I thought we had problems, but compared to them ours was a piece of cake!

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 17, 2017, 10:25:45 pm by roversontheup »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 17, 2017, 10:31:30 pm by BobG »
I am. And thanks ROTU.

BobG

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 18, 2017, 03:56:08 am by Sammy Chung was King »
You're living in a dream world, mate.

No, a Redj world. :chair:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 18, 2017, 08:54:56 am by silent majority »
SM, with your knowledge of the York City situation, do you think a further relegation could see the end of the club?

Its possible, however everybody has so much to lose that I think it may well be a case of certain bodies coming to their senses.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 18, 2017, 09:40:07 am by RedJ »

ballysbackin

« Reply #29 on January 18, 2017, 10:47:50 pm by ballysbackin »
Legal Challenge brought by VUE cinemas has failed. Albeit the main contractor has pulled out the stadium got go ahead today

TinyPortal © 2005-2012