Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:56:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Nene Park home of Rushden Diamonds  (Read 6293 times)

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
Re: Nene Park home of Rushden Diamonds
« Reply #30 on January 15, 2017, 03:50:30 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Was talking to 2 Leicester fans that night. Said when Leicester weren't playing they always went to R&D, Unfortunately that isn't a sustainable fan base, which as has been stated earlier, comes from a historical context, rather than an American style franchise, which is why MK Mongs are so hated.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sars

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 15, 2017, 07:55:44 pm by Sars »
Such a shame. Remember Both the FA Cup game and the league return well.As a young kid, I'll never forget the constant chants of 'Dodgy keeper' to Rushdens no 1.  I'm sure the crowd got Duerden his hat trick that day. Keeper panicked and fumbled at everything thrown at him.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on January 15, 2017, 08:55:42 pm by BobG »
And THAT punch. That's gone down in folklore. Never to be forgotten.

BobG

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 15, 2017, 11:52:19 pm by albie »
Some pics from Jan 2016;
Report - - Nene Park Stadium, Irthlingborough - January 2016 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

It doesn't look too bad to me, if someone had a mind to restore.

I guess the reborn R+D club have realised that a small capacity stadium and a place in Southern or National (Conference) is more realistic without an oligarch to pay the bills.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 16, 2017, 12:45:13 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Colin Sutherland, a legend. Not just because of that punch but because he could fight above his weight. He was barely 6" tall but when he decided it was his ball, not many would get in his way.

Mark Albrighton, another one that category his. He was hard as nails but Sutherland was not quite a full shilling!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 16, 2017, 12:54:37 am by BobG »
I loved Colin sutherland. A total psycho. But what a psycho :) Awesome player.

BobG

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 16, 2017, 07:19:45 am by GazLaz »
It amazes me how young Colin was when he played for us. I always saw him as a 35 year old man and he was about 23 I think.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 16, 2017, 07:28:15 am by The Red Baron »
Some pics from Jan 2016;
Report - - Nene Park Stadium, Irthlingborough - January 2016 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

It doesn't look too bad to me, if someone had a mind to restore.

I guess the reborn R+D club have realised that a small capacity stadium and a place in Southern or National (Conference) is more realistic without an oligarch to pay the bills.

That was 12 months ago of course but it seems a crying shame to knock down a stadium as good as that.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 16, 2017, 01:25:01 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Here's an ace quote from an ex team mate of Colin Sutherland who was asked who was the craziest player he'd played with.

"Stephen Gaines was nuts and I can remember him pushing a ref over but Colin “Psycho" Sutherland when we were at Greenock was bonkers on and off the park.

I used to pick him up and phoned him one week to tell him I was on my way to which he replied is it ok to have a few cans? I laughed thinking he was joking, but he opened his bag in the car, pulled out 6 cans and drank them on the way down. He had a stormer, scored and then got sent off!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 16, 2017, 04:33:50 pm by 1879Rovers »
That replay! Even though we lost it was a great night!

I took a fellow who was a huge rugger man along. Didn't like football at all. He loved it. He said if every football match was like that he'd start watching.

I think they only expected us to take a few hundred that night and we filled the away end.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 28, 2017, 10:57:26 pm by albie »
Its all over for Nene Park, demo has begun;
Demolition of Nene Park stadium begins - BBC News

Shame really.
AFC R+D are moving back to the old Rushden Town ground that they quit to become Diamond geezers.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 28, 2017, 11:05:22 pm by BobG »
That's a crying shame that is. Yes. They were the plaything of a rich man. Yes. They had no history and little tradition. But for some reason I really can't explain, I didn't mind them and I still like that ground they had. And that Cup match is one of those that has stayed in my memory bank... Took my cousin too. Had to pick her up in Bristol and then nip cross country. Took forever.

BobG

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on February 28, 2017, 11:34:10 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Possibly not owned by the same crook now then.

An uninformed and completely incorrect observation GazLaz

Half of it was correct. He ran the club in an illegal way.

How did he GazLaz?

They were giving players £££ in bin bags to sign for them.

And you know that as a fact because....? you also 'knew' Marqius wouldn't score more than 10 goals this season. Yawn.....

ballysbackin

« Reply #43 on March 01, 2017, 10:25:38 am by ballysbackin »
Always sad to see just like WW2 aerodromes with their ghosts, stood many times on old bases locally and in Lincolnshire just to imagine those days with the airmen singing and the drone of bombers engines. Ver sad

TinyPortal © 2005-2012