Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:20:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Away following at Barnet  (Read 5347 times)

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
Away following at Barnet
« on January 14, 2017, 10:52:28 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Superb today 826.
Very vocal and constant throughout.
Even Trevor the steward( Trevor McDonald lookalike)joined in and fair play to him.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Re: Away following at Barnet
« Reply #1 on January 15, 2017, 03:42:46 am by Sammy Chung was King »
''This is Trevor McDonald ITV, The Hive''!.

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 15, 2017, 08:41:55 am by gillinghamrover »
That had me chuckling throughout the game"oh Trevor McDonald!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 15, 2017, 09:03:43 am by SydneyRover »
Poor home crowd for Barnet, must be difficult for a struggling side with so many glamour clubs down the road. Well done Rovers supporters, great effort to support the club en masse for an away fixture.

ballysbackin

« Reply #4 on January 15, 2017, 10:13:44 am by ballysbackin »
Poor crowds indeed and glamour clubs down road with fans from even in Donny travelling down to support their team Arsenal etc. Barnet fans are true fans indeed. I remember driving into Liverpool airport several years ago when Donny were where they are now to collect relatives from Ireland. I lad at the pay booth of car park grinned when he saw the Rovers stickers on car windows. "Great lad, true supporter" and other words obviously admiring someone who sticks by his team. As you drive around the country, you will see York City. Grimsby Mansfield etc. AND WHY NOT.

Well done Barnet fans. And we do not get brilliant crowds ourselves.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 15, 2017, 10:24:48 am by Bezza »
the real supporters support their home town, once heard a Leeds fan singing Donny is a shit hole,after the game he went home to Armthorpe.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 15, 2017, 04:20:00 pm by karldew »
Whose the best striker in the football league?

...It's you John, John, John, it's you John, John!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 15, 2017, 05:46:42 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Poor home crowd for Barnet, must be difficult for a struggling side with so many glamour clubs down the road. Well done Rovers supporters, great effort to support the club en masse for an away fixture.

Barnet are not repeat not a struggling club financially as I keep telling you they bid £250,000 for Omar Bogle in November it is "alleged" that some "retention money" "might" have "come through" after the EARLIER sale of their ground  to an "educational body" (planning consent was needed - passed recently) - the ground years earlier was sold to them by a Labour Council .then  the "new" Conservative Council had an "alleged"  "stewards enquiry" costing them a mere "one million pounds" in "legal fees"*.
it went to a "high level"

*this information has been in the public domain for many years

They play in the London Borough of Harrow

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 15, 2017, 05:57:32 pm by glosterred »
It must be incredible difficult for teams like Barnet to attract spectators to watch them when there are bigger and better placed teams close by.

COYR

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 15, 2017, 06:34:48 pm by Jenny »
One of my friends is a Barnet fan, we were discussing this with her in the bar yesterday, they still get a fair amount of people going to watch them wearing the colours of Arsenal/Spurs etc... The amount of people cheering in the bar when Spurs scored said it all really. I don't think they necessarily lose fans because of the bigger teams, but they certainly are a lot of peoples 'second' team. I remember us being like that in the Conference, you always used to see people wearing Premier League colours etc at Belle Vue.

Its also much more of a ball ache for fans to get to The Hive as well, given that there is no direct train/tube route.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 15, 2017, 07:18:02 pm by RedRover45 »
Eh, it's only five minute walk from Canons Park. Couldn't be much nearer ?  It's very well organised.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 15, 2017, 07:25:44 pm by wilts rover »
The area where they now play is tradionally a rugby area. Wasps used to be based in Sudbury, just the other side of Harrow, and Saracens are now bases only a couple of miles away from The Hive. So I am full or admiration for anyone who takes the time and trouble to follow Barnet. Lovely set up they have there too, although a very strange two sided ground.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 15, 2017, 07:27:49 pm by wilts rover »
Eh, it's only five minute walk from Canons Park. Couldn't be much nearer ?  It's very well organised.

You try getting to Canons Park from Barnet.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 15, 2017, 07:36:10 pm by Draytonian III »
The walk from the station Canons Park to the Hive was about as far walking from The Dome to The Keepmoat. It took about an hour to get back to Kings Cross, and that includes calling in a Tesco express and a Bet Fred . My heart bleeds for some people. Barnet to the Hive must be 100's miles away

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 15, 2017, 08:10:10 pm by glosterred »

An hour and 6 minutes, including 3 buses and a 16 minute walk or so says the TfL website. I wonder, how many of our supports go through something similar to watch the Rovers?

COYR

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 15, 2017, 08:44:57 pm by Dagenham Rover »

An hour and 6 minutes, including 3 buses and a 16 minute walk or so says the TfL website. I wonder, how many of our supports go through something similar to watch the Rovers?

COYR

as is said Barnets town as such  is really  nowhere near The Hive

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 15, 2017, 08:55:46 pm by philsky »

COYR

I live in Enfield and take it from me - in North London you can really struggle with connectivity.

Often you need to use the tube or bus to go into London and then come back out to get to your destination.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 15, 2017, 08:59:10 pm by Jenny »

You're forgetting that Barnet is on a completely different line from Cannons Park, you have to practically go back into central London to get a tube back out again. As someone alluded to, it's buses and then walking, unless you drive. Getting away is pretty chaotic on the roads due to the general business regardless of the fact they have small crowds. On a good day my friend does it in 20 minutes in the car, on a bad day it can be over an hour.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 15, 2017, 09:02:42 pm by glosterred »

You're forgetting that Barnet is on a completely different line from Cannons Park, you have to practically go back into central London to get a tube back out again. As someone alluded to, it's buses and then walking, unless you drive. Getting away is pretty chaotic on the roads due to the general business regardless of the fact they have small crowds. On a good day my friend does it in 20 minutes in the car, on a bad day it can be over an hour.

I had a car like that, I got rid of it 😉

COYR

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 15, 2017, 09:42:50 pm by drfchound »
Surely we suffer the same malaise as Barnet, that is lots of "big clubs" just up the road.

On that subject, my brother was telling me that he overheard a shop keeper talking to two leeds fans in a shop the other day.
They were on about how well leeds were doing and the shop keeper mentioned that Rovers are doing well too.
They replied "well it's only League 2".
That is one of the reasons we all hate Leeds scum.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 15, 2017, 10:02:53 pm by idler »
We remember when it was only Wembley though.😉

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 15, 2017, 11:01:05 pm by Draytonian III »
So all Barnet supporters live in Barnet itself,just like all Doncaster Rovers supporters live in Doncaster ?
"Sometimes it takes 20 minutes,sometimes times an hour " . Out of all the "new grounds " I've been to the Hive is one of the best planned.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 16, 2017, 02:00:48 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It's a very good set-up they've got there. The bigger sides have used the facilities on a few occasions. They are not dissimilar to us-a side that's attendances drop and rise because of being a fair few peoples 'second team'.
There's no reason they can't make a push for promotion if they add one or two to what they have. They seem to miss somebody to score the goals if Akinde doesn't.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 16, 2017, 02:02:09 am by Colemans Left Hook »
i knew they did something

http://www.barnetfc.com/tickets/shuttle_buses/

anyone can get a trial

http://www.barnetfc.com/news/article/open-trials-at-the-hive-2862368.aspx

and don't forget Borehamwood FC is just up the road (not a London Borough) only one division below them -
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:20:03 am by Colemans Left Hook »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 16, 2017, 11:07:44 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Surely we suffer the same malaise as Barnet, that is lots of "big clubs" just up the road.

On that subject, my brother was telling me that he overheard a shop keeper talking to two leeds fans in a shop the other day.
They were on about how well leeds were doing and the shop keeper mentioned that Rovers are doing well too.
They replied "well it's only League 2".
That is one of the reasons we all hate Leeds scum.

Had exactly the same conversation. Selective memory and they're convinced life before the Championship never happened. I really do hope they f*ck up again and we catch them up!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 16, 2017, 05:50:39 pm by the vicar »

But the ground int in Barnet

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 16, 2017, 06:33:32 pm by wilts rover »

But the ground int in Barnet

No but the supporters are - if you bother to read all the posts in the thread.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 16, 2017, 06:38:21 pm by The Red Baron »
Going back on topic I've been to a couple of away games recently - Notts County and Barnet - and have greatly enjoyed myself. Ok, it helps that we're winning but at both the atmosphere has been great.

I don't get to a lot of away games but am going to try to get to a few more. Wycombe is a cert but I really fancy Crawley. Pity Cambridge is midweek.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012