Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:17:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Another old Rovers video - v Kingstonian, Conf trophy final 2000  (Read 2341 times)

RM452

• Forum Member
Some cup finals, regardless of the level of the competition are glorious events... but this was not.
I remember it well, and following the success of the previous year (the fabulous win over Farnborough which I will feature over the next few weeks too) this game was much anticipated.  In truth it wasn’t a good game and the two goals which won the day were two of the most scrappy goals you will ever see.  Jason Minett’s opener looks like it was scored by mistake with Dave Penney’s prod from a yard out spectacular by comparison.
Good to see Dino Maamria et al from the conference days though..

http://www.justapubteam.com/doncaster-rovers-video-rovers-v-kingstonian-conference-cup-final-2000/

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Another old Rovers video - v Kingstonian, Conf trophy final 2000
« Reply #1 on January 15, 2017, 01:00:24 pm by RoversAlias »
Will have to give this a watch later, this was my first cup final as a Rovers fan! Not bad to say I've had a couple more since in less than 20 years supporting my club.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 15, 2017, 01:07:11 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Tarkan the Otter, later to play for us, and against us at Stoke, at RB for Kingstonian  I see

Thanks for putting that up  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:13:10 pm by Dutch Uncle »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 15, 2017, 01:14:10 pm by BobG »
Yes. Many thanks RM.

I was interested to see Paul Gilligan sitting on his stool taking pics right at pitchside. Whatever happened to him? Not seen him for ages. 

BobG

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 15, 2017, 06:58:25 pm by RedRover45 »
Yes. Many thanks RM.

I was interested to see Paul Gilligan sitting on his stool taking pics right at pitchside. Whatever happened to him? Not seen him for ages. 

BobG
Yes. Many thanks RM.

BobG

Think he's ok, or he was last time I saw him, but he apparently had an disagreement with the Rovers over use of his photos I think, and he was a bit disgruntled and stopped going which was a shame.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 15, 2017, 07:19:21 pm by philsky »
Yes. Many thanks RM.

BobG

I was talking to Paul indirectly yesterday.

Gave Jeff Aldworth a lift to the match at Barnet and he was chatting to Paul on the moby and we shared hellos

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 15, 2017, 07:36:44 pm by BobG »
Oh Cool. Well, I'm glad he alright. He went out with my sister once upon a time! I'm exactly not sure who had the better of that deal.... :)

Bob

Sars

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 15, 2017, 07:47:48 pm by Sars »
Brilliant video, great night as well. I still have the winners banner and Dean Walling's shirt from that game.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Yes. Many thanks RM.

BobG
Yes. Many thanks RM.

BobG

Think he's ok, or he was last time I saw him, but he apparently had an disagreement with the Rovers over use of his photos I think, and he was a bit disgruntled and stopped going which was a shame.

It seems to happen a lot with our supporters who are involved with the club more than the average supporter.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 16, 2017, 01:13:12 am by BobG »
It happened with John xxxxx. An odd jobbing guy who used to video the matches during the Conference years and do odd jobs round BV. He ended up falling out with the club too.

BobG

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 16, 2017, 10:01:20 am by Mike_F »
It happened with John xxxxx. An odd jobbing guy who used to video the matches during the Conference years and do odd jobs round BV. He ended up falling out with the club too.

BobG

Wasn't that Martin?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 16, 2017, 07:48:05 pm by BobG »
Don't know Mike. John Pearson was definitely involved for some years. He was a very good friend of my Mum. Did a lot of jobbing work for her for a long time. I met him at Kingstonian once while he was videoing the match from the back of the stand near the half way line. He did that a lot for a while, even did a load of editing of Rovers stuff up at the Tech and he did odd jobs too, I don't know why he dell out with the club but I know he definitely did.

Cheers

BobG

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 18, 2017, 01:37:25 pm by Mike_F »
Ah, cheers Bob. I didn't know that but it sounds quite similar to what happened with Martin AKA Sturdy. He did a fair bit of media stuff in the Conference years but fell out with the club and as far as I know hasn't been back since.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 18, 2017, 02:02:59 pm by NickDRFC »
Didn't Sturdy lose interest once we were back in the football league and shift his focus to rugby league? May or may not have been as a result of a falling out with the club.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 18, 2017, 02:06:40 pm by GazLaz »
Ah, cheers Bob. I didn't know that but it sounds quite similar to what happened with Martin AKA Sturdy. He did a fair bit of media stuff in the Conference years but fell out with the club and as far as I know hasn't been back since.

What a legend he was. Saw him at Blackpool last year (or the year before [or the year before that]).

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 18, 2017, 09:34:08 pm by BobG »
I think John Pearson sort of followed in Martin/Sturdy's footsteps. Replaced him almost as a doer of 'stuff' for the Rovers. For a while.

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012