Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:38:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: FIFA technical boss Marco van Basten wants to scrap offside and yellow cards  (Read 3028 times)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10733469/fifa-technical-boss-marco-van-basten-wants-to-scrap-offside-and-yellow-cards

FIFA technical director Marco van Basten has floated a radical blueprint for the future of football which would see offside abolished and sin-bins introduced.

What is it with FIFA always having to f**k about with the game?  :huh:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Think the sin bin idea could work in some form but offside is now part of the game I dont have a problem with it, yes some linos are not up in control with it and others are very good. Getting rid seems very short sighted

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
No offside = goalhanging hoofball becomes a legitimate tactic = more defenders staying back to counteract it = teams become stretched across the pitch leading to less attacking/attractive football. Nice one, Marco!

drfchound

• Forum Member
Think the sin bin idea could work in some form but offside is now part of the game I dont have a problem with it, yes some linos are not up in control with it and others are very good. Getting rid seems very short sighted

.......and as we know, some linesmen are very short sighted.

Seriously though, what a poor suggestion by Van Basten.

RedJ

• Forum Member
No offside = goalhanging hoofball becomes a legitimate tactic
Dave Kitson will be coming out of retirement then...

Drover

• Forum Member

I'd only consider the sin bin,IF video replays are used.There are too many punishments as it is,that go wrong and a player is wrongly penalised or not penalised when they should.It's the percentage of decisions that are correct,that needs to be improved,not so much the punishment itself altering.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Why can't they leave the rules of the game as they are?. The only rule i would change if any was reverting back to the old offside rule. Players knew where they were with it as did the officials. Now you are never sure if you are offside or not.
Extending the world cup while it will be good to see smaller nations getting a chance some of the games will be a lower standard. I think they are working towards no qualification for the bigger nations and the smaller one's will face a much shorter play-off system.

I would like to see the Champions league back to being just for the champions but it will never happen. It would make the Europa league much stronger and worth winning as well.
If you go down the sin bin route it would bring in more use of cameras. We need minimal use of cameras in our game. I think they need to employ younger and fitter referee's that can keep up with some of these players. Asking forty odd to fifty year olds to be in the right positions at the pace our particular game is played is stretching capabilities to the limit.
It's one of the main reasons for me why so many big decisions are wrong. Sprinting one way then the other on the pitch then trying to compose themselves to make a decision is not easy. I don't doubt they are all very fit but very tough at that age.

silent majority

• VSC Member
Fortunately FIFA don't have a monopoly on the rules of the game, we do!!

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) is made up of the 4 home countries and FIFA with any rule changes needing a 75% majority.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
Yes, though I heard someone in the FA explain that Wales always vote in favour of FIFA as that is the hand that feeds them.

boro_rover

• Forum Member
I don't think the offside rule needs changing scwk, it is easy to understand.

His proposed rule changes are ridiculous though. It just seems like he is trying to show that he has done something while he has been in his position. Nothing will change it is a waste of time.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
A long read but an interesting piece on how offisde is the most important rule in terms of what makes football what it is:

http://thesefootballtimes.co/2016/06/05/exploring-what-the-offside-rule-means-to-football/

drfchound

• Forum Member

His proposed rule changes are ridiculous though. It just seems like he is trying to show that he has done something while he has been in his position. Nothing will change it is a waste of time.

People also said the World Cup could never be awarded to Qatar.

silent majority

• VSC Member

Some people said that, but others knew different. However the granting of a World Cup is in FIFA's hands, rule changes aren't.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Change for the sake of change. Not needed at all. It's like this two term presidential rule over here.. Forces change for the sake of it and makes any real progress difficult. And now look what f**king happened. Orange Kitson in charge.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.

keith79

• Forum Member
should try no off side during the world cup.

selby

• VSC Member
People need to look at the history of the game.
  There was no off side until the 1920s and centre forwards scored up to 60 goals a season goal lagging.
   Arsenal brought in  the double centre half system where two big lumps stayed in their own penalty box to counter act this.
 It was such a success that other clubs copied the system of play,and most games ended 0-0,resulting in attendances dramatically dropping.
  The offside rule was introduced to open the play up and be more attractive to the paying customers.
  As an aside the rule where you cannot score direct from your own free kick was brought in about the same time to stop betting scams by the players.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
People need to look at the history of the game.
  There was no off side until the 1920s and centre forwards scored up to 60 goals a season goal lagging.
   Arsenal brought in  the double centre half system where two big lumps stayed in their own penalty box to counter act this.
 It was such a success that other clubs copied the system of play,and most games ended 0-0,resulting in attendances dramatically dropping.
  The offside rule was introduced to open the play up and be more attractive to the paying customers.
  As an aside the rule where you cannot score direct from your own free kick was brought in about the same time to stop betting scams by the players.

Quite the opposite. Before 1925 there had to be THREE men between the attacker and the goal when the ball was played. When it was reduced to the current two there was a huge increase in goals scored and the "third back" (the centre half becoming a defender rather than a midfield playmaker) was a defensive response to the number of goals being scored.

Ps. Can't score from your own free kick? Do you mean goal kick?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offside_(association_football)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:25:38 pm by The Red Baron »

DevilMayCry

• VSC Member
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10733469/fifa-technical-boss-marco-van-basten-wants-to-scrap-offside-and-yellow-cards

FIFA technical director Marco van Basten has floated a radical blueprint for the future of football which would see offside abolished and sin-bins introduced.

What is it with FIFA always having to f**k about with the game?  :huh:
Perhaps van Basten consumed something legalized in the Netherlands before giving this statement  :laugh:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.

Superhans, I appreciate.

selby

• VSC Member
R.B. apologies you are correct as always,but the double centre half system was introduced and was blamed for the lack of goals in league games.
  A direct free kick causing an own goal without another player touching the ball is or used to be a goal kick.
  This was because of game fixing.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
R.B. apologies you are correct as always,but the double centre half system was introduced and was blamed for the lack of goals in league games.
  A direct free kick causing an own goal without another player touching the ball is or used to be a goal kick.
  This was because of game fixing.

When the second centre back came in (really after WW2) it did make defences more effective but didn't have any connection to the offside law.

What caused a decline in the number of goals scored prior to 1925 was that full backs in the professional game became adept at playing the offside trap. One of the full backs could step up and his partner could drop back to cover under the "three defenders" condition.

The master - the Tony Adams of his day- was an Irish full-back called Billy McCracken who played for Newcastle United. He had the offside trap down to a fine art. The centre half would have been playing higher up the park, probably in the sort of position Jordan Houghton currently plays for Rovers.

selby

• VSC Member
R.B. the Uruguay team that won the Olympics in 1924,1928,and 1st world cup in 1930 were adept at the 2,3,5 formation

TinyPortal © 2005-2012