Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:45:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Saturday Afternoon's key fixtures  (Read 5721 times)

les@donr

• Forum Member
Saturday Afternoon's key fixtures
« on February 16, 2017, 11:30:50 am by les@donr »
Here are the key fixtures for this Saturday: What would be realistically the best results for us?

Doncaster vs Luton

Barnet vs Portsmouth

Exeter vs Stevenage

Grimsby vs Mansfield

Hartlepool vs Plymouth

Wycombe vs Carlisle

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Saturday Afternoon's key fixtures
« Reply #1 on February 16, 2017, 11:44:00 am by The Red Baron »
Five home wins and an away win for Stevenage please.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 16, 2017, 12:07:51 pm by drfchound »
mmm, i would be amazed if all those happened.
I will settle for a win for us TBH.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 16, 2017, 12:46:44 pm by idler »
If we win some of the others will slip up.
Win your games and let the rest worry.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 16, 2017, 12:50:16 pm by Copps is Magic »
I feel like Luton is inevitably the end of our home record. Come back starts against Accrington when we've got a settled defense.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 16, 2017, 01:28:11 pm by The Red Baron »
I feel like Luton is inevitably the end of our home record. Come back starts against Accrington when we've got a settled defense.

We may find out more today but Butler will almost certainly play on Saturday and Baudry could do too. That would give us a much stronger defence.

To be honest, it's the other end that bothers me far more.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 16, 2017, 01:55:36 pm by The Red Baron »
Latest from Paul Goodwin. Baudry trained today and if no reaction will be ok for Saturday. Butler should be fine.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 16, 2017, 02:00:11 pm by Chris Black come back »
Any news on Mandeville? Front two not quite firing at moment and two Alfs lack game time.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 16, 2017, 03:29:23 pm by The Red Baron »
I don't think he's due back yet. Another couple of weeks maybe. I agree we could do with him back.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 16, 2017, 03:58:53 pm by Chris Black come back »
Maybe McSheffrey has a moment to shine.

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 16, 2017, 04:03:13 pm by Syme »
I'd be happy to see Carlisle win. Let the top three pull away from the pack.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 16, 2017, 04:29:55 pm by Copps is Magic »
Or hobble back on at 70% to ensure he doesn't get an injury recurrence.

The destabilisng effect of all these injuries is they rarely come back fully at it.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 16, 2017, 04:32:35 pm by not on facebook »

Them donkey lashers blackpool will put the spanner into rovers solid home record this season,for sole
reason they are a bogey team this season

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 16, 2017, 04:46:56 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Any news on Mandeville? Front two not quite firing at moment and two Alfs lack game time.

Given Luton aren't that big at the back, I'd stay with AW as starting with a view to bringing Alfie May on around 70 mins depending how it's going.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 16, 2017, 04:47:18 pm by The Red Baron »
Said Donkey Lashers were the last team to win at the Keepmoat in the League.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 16, 2017, 06:23:30 pm by les@donr »
Luton haven't faced a top 7 side since Jan. 2 when they lost away to Pompey. The sides they've faced since have been mid to lower league teams. It will be big test for them to play us on our patch.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 17, 2017, 02:06:42 am by les@donr »
My prediction for Sat. is: HDDADH

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 17, 2017, 08:26:11 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's getting to the time of the season when it's difficult to call these fixtures. Anything can happen in football as we know, where unfancied teams pull off results as they fight for survival or push for play off spots.

On paper, our game with Luton should be a ding dong encounter. Whether both managers would take a point, I don't know but the pleasing thing for us is we are likely to be at full strength. If we play as well as we did v Portsmouth in both defence and attack, we should win. That was a very disciplined performance when we didn't give the ball away too much or concede needless fouls.

One thing is for sure, if we don't take our chances, Luton will grow in confidence and come on strong. With that in mind, is it time for Alfie May to be let off the leash? Or, is Williams mentally tough enough to rise to the occasion?

Tough call. 

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 17, 2017, 03:00:36 pm by les@donr »
I would put Williams on the bench and start with Marquis and May,  I would also find a central midfield role for McSheffrey, but who would you replace? Copps?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 17, 2017, 03:41:43 pm by drfchound »
Williams isnt playing too badly but he really does need a goal.
If he gets one he will probably score quite a few in a bit of a burst.
Him and marquis play well together and it was Willo who set up the best chance of the game at Carlisle that JM blazed over the bar.
I would still start with Willo and perhaps give May a chance around 70 mins if we need something different.

Leave Copps out ?

No chance.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 17, 2017, 04:48:50 pm by The Red Baron »
McSheffrey isn't fit enough to play 90 minutes yet.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 17, 2017, 05:34:13 pm by Campsall rover »
CIM you have been unbelievably negative this last week or so.
You are usually very positive about all that concerns Rovers. I am really curios about why this sudden change on this forum.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 17, 2017, 05:56:44 pm by Copps is Magic »
I was, in part, joking on the matchday thread. Caricaturing an over reaction.

We've got a brilliant team but even a brilliant team can get complacent. I didn't like what I heard after the Newport game, frankly. Fergie came out, sent the players out for interviews (and also on twitter) to say 'brilliant point'. No offense but Newport are the worst team in the league and we're the best, the difference in quality, points, everything should be self-evident.

The mantra up until that point had been (even when we'd won quite comfortably) 'we need to do better'. I don't understand why that changed? At the worst part of the season as well. If we start drawing a number of games now we'll be dragged back into a promotion scrap.

Football is illogical, works on swings, peaks and troughs. We're having a blip. I went to the away fixture against Luton and they looked very good (although we stopped playing after 30 minutes). It will be tough to overcome our injury situation and blip in form in one game.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 17, 2017, 07:32:36 pm by les@donr »
I think some changes are needed for Saturday, we might have hit a rut over the past three games, and a change of personnel might freshen up the side and help us back to winning ways.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 17, 2017, 07:37:59 pm by ravenrover »
The only change I could see was if McSheffry is actually fit and he could come in instead of Wiliams. Harsh on Williams as I don't think he has done too bad, but like everyone says he needs a goal

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 17, 2017, 07:53:12 pm by Donnywolf »
Its not long ago we were seen by some as invincible / 100 Pointers / Champions already

Now cos we drew twice and lost one (to a Top 3 team) we have suddenly according to some become " a bit dodgy" and true we may even lose tomorrow v Luton but really we will still get auto promo imo and as for the Question posed in the OP I am with Idler - I am not bothered what happens elsewhere

Let the others worry what we are doing (although they probably wont - they will have awarded us auto promo and be grappling for the other 2 Autos - again imo)

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 17, 2017, 09:35:42 pm by les@donr »
The only change I could see was if McSheffry is actually fit and he could come in instead of Wiliams. Harsh on Williams as I don't think he has done too bad, but like everyone says he needs a goal

What about May instead of Williams? If Williams is low on confidence a rest on the bench might do him some good, and come on as a "super" sub.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 17, 2017, 10:29:57 pm by drfchound »
I was, in part, joking on the matchday thread. Caricaturing an over reaction.

We've got a brilliant team but even a brilliant team can get complacent. I didn't like what I heard after the Newport game, frankly. Fergie came out, sent the players out for interviews (and also on twitter) to say 'brilliant point'. No offense but Newport are the worst team in the league and we're the best, the difference in quality, points, everything should be self-evident.

The mantra up until that point had been (even when we'd won quite comfortably) 'we need to do better'. I don't understand why that changed? At the worst part of the season as well. If we start drawing a number of games now we'll be dragged back into a promotion scrap.

Football is illogical, works on swings, peaks and troughs. We're having a blip. I went to the away fixture against Luton and they looked very good (although we stopped playing after 30 minutes). It will be tough to overcome our injury situation and blip in form in one game.

Copps, the Newport team we played against isn't the same Newport team that had settled at the bottom of the division.
They are virtually a different set of players and are one of only two teams in the division who are unbeaten in the last five matches.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 17, 2017, 11:16:28 pm by BobG »
Hear hear Hound. Newport are most definitely not the worst team in the league. Theya are limited, especially in attack, but they are well organised, determined, physical, decent stature, fit, and, most impoprtant of all, growing in confidence. If they'd beaten us a week back it would have been no disgrace. Disappointing, yes. But given how we played not a disgrace.

Cheers

BobG

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 17, 2017, 11:41:57 pm by Copps is Magic »
If the bottom of the league club isn't the worst in the league what other measure are you using?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012