Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:59:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Saturday Afternoon's key fixtures  (Read 5787 times)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Saturday Afternoon's key fixtures
« Reply #30 on February 17, 2017, 11:51:07 pm by idler »
They have improved dramatically over the last 6 games.
I remember us being the worst side in the championship at Christmas before going on that run starting at Forest.
The teams that we played for the rest of that season got a rude awakening.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on February 17, 2017, 11:53:13 pm by BobG »
Changes to playing staff, ability, talent, motivation, results. You know, the sort of stuff that those with an interest  keep abreast of - rather than displaying their ignorance.

Cheers

BobG

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 18, 2017, 12:10:00 am by Copps is Magic »
Aah right, ok, fair do's. Let's hope those things don't mean them still being bottom at the end of the season then or we might be having a discussion about ignorance being bliss (literally).

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 18, 2017, 03:47:32 am by les@donr »
Be nice if Hartlepool and Wycombe could do us a favour and beat Plymouth and Carlisle respectively.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 18, 2017, 08:23:10 am by idler »
Aah right, ok, fair do's. Let's hope those things don't mean them still being bottom at the end of the season then or we might be having a discussion about ignorance being bliss (literally).

With Westley as manager, I would be happy to see him go down.
One of their fans said that it isn't pretty but at least they now have a team that do try unlike the ones they got rid of.
They will work for 90 minutes and upset a few teams, they don't need too many points to go up a couple of places.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 18, 2017, 08:54:20 am by Campsall rover »
Well I for one think that was a very hard earned point at Newport.
Impossible to play our normal game on that pitch and against such a physical team.
I don't think many teams will go there and get 3 points.
Having said that I don't like Westley's arrogance and the style of football he usually get his teams to play, so I hope they go down.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on February 18, 2017, 09:37:02 am by ravenrover »
The only change I could see was if McSheffry is actually fit and he could come in instead of Wiliams. Harsh on Williams as I don't think he has done too bad, but like everyone says he needs a goal

What about May instead of Williams? If Williams is low on confidence a rest on the bench might do him some good, and come on as a "super" sub.
I just get the feeling DF would favour McSheffry, just to prove that he is actually a good signing despite the injury. We don't really know how May will perform in this league yet whereas McSheffry is proven. JMHO

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 18, 2017, 02:35:19 pm by les@donr »
We need to start May at some point, this might be a good game to throw him into the fray, where is Beestin these days?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on February 18, 2017, 02:57:40 pm by IDM »
The only change I could see was if McSheffry is actually fit and he could come in instead of Wiliams. Harsh on Williams as I don't think he has done too bad, but like everyone says he needs a goal

Williams will struggle to get that goal most fans think he needs, if he isn't on the pitch!!

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 18, 2017, 05:42:48 pm by i_ateallthepies »
His chances would be barely any worse IDM

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 18, 2017, 07:15:12 pm by les@donr »
Thankfully most results went our way, as you were, except with Carlisle's result. Gap with Luton still 11 points. Interestingly they play Plymouth next week.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 18, 2017, 07:47:39 pm by drfchound »
Also Les, the gap is still eleven points with one less game to play.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on February 18, 2017, 08:04:10 pm by idler »
I was saying the same hound. Every game played is 3 points the chasing pack can't get.
Hopefully we can get a win next Saturday to calm a few nerves.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on February 18, 2017, 09:58:45 pm by Pancho Regan »
If the bottom of the league club isn't the worst in the league what other measure are you using?

That's a rather naive statement.... do you take any account of personnel changes and recent form?
Or are you limited to the measure that the team at the bottom of the league is de facto the worst team in the league?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on February 19, 2017, 08:48:00 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Either you subscribe to the notion that only after 46 games can you say who is the worst team in the league, or you submit to Pancho's logic.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 19, 2017, 10:22:30 pm by balbyrover »
We need to start May at some point, this might be a good game to throw him into the fray, where is Beestin these days?

Fergie mentioned that Beestin is more of a attacking midfielder rather than a striker. I think he was signed with a view to being a good prospect rather than a immediate starter.

May on the other hand,whilst he isn't experienced at this level.  He can't really be described as a young lad. A lot to learn probably still but I think he will see much more first team action than Beestin this season.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 21, 2017, 03:29:48 am by les@donr »

Fergie mentioned that Beestin is more of a attacking midfielder rather than a striker. I think he was signed with a view to being a good prospect rather than a immediate starter.

May on the other hand,whilst he isn't experienced at this level.  He can't really be described as a young lad. A lot to learn probably still but I think he will see much more first team action than Beestin this season.

Thanks for your insight on Beestin, will he go out on loan this season? He must be behind Copps and McSheff and Grant if the latter signs on permanently in the Summer, gives Beestin limited options to first team football with Rovers in the foreseeable future.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 21, 2017, 09:53:39 am by balbyrover »

Thanks for your insight on Beestin, will he go out on loan this season? He must be behind Copps and McSheff and Grant if the latter signs on permanently in the Summer, gives Beestin limited options to first team football with Rovers in the foreseeable future.

I don't know how much Fergie rates him to be honest. He might be a bit part player on the bench for a season or so, likely to feature in the cup games I would've thought.
I do hope that if we do loan him that he goes out to a football league side where he will get games.
No disrespect to the likes of Frickley etc but I feel that if a player is going to be a big player for us in years to come they need better experience at a higher level.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on February 21, 2017, 11:34:51 am by The Red Baron »
The new loan rules make it difficult for a club like ours to send players to fellow League sides. If Beestin was to go to, say, Hartlepool on loan he would have to go for half a season at least.

I agree that Beestin should be playing at a higher level than Frickley. I have a feeling both he and Longbottom will be loaned out before long, hopefully to National League sides.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on February 21, 2017, 12:37:19 pm by Dutch Uncle »

I don't know how much Fergie rates him to be honest. He might be a bit part player on the bench for a season or so, likely to feature in the cup games I would've thought.

Enough to give him a contract until 2019. That says plenty IMHO.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 21, 2017, 09:41:13 pm by les@donr »

I do hope that if we do loan him that he goes out to a football league side where he will get games.
No disrespect to the likes of Frickley etc but I feel that if a player is going to be a big player for us in years to come they need better experience at a higher level.

There are local sides in the National Prem. York, North Ferriby and Guisley, the latter has done well of late. Beestin could be sent to any of these to give him some football experience.

ballysbackin

« Reply #51 on February 21, 2017, 10:30:17 pm by ballysbackin »
York lost again tonight, I thought that they were to get out of the bottom few with the game in hand but sadly NO.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 22, 2017, 03:51:45 pm by balbyrover »
York lost again tonight, I thought that they were to get out of the bottom few with the game in hand but sadly NO.

York are in massive trouble. A crying shame to be honest.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 22, 2017, 04:27:38 pm by les@donr »
Be good if we could help York out with a couple of loan players, but Guisley might be the better option, they have a fighting chance of staying up.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 22, 2017, 04:32:14 pm by RoversAlias »
Plus there's the DRFC connection with Lockwood and Penney in charge now.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on February 22, 2017, 04:33:49 pm by les@donr »
Plus there's the DRFC connection with Lockwood and Penney in charge now.

Guisley, it is then.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on February 22, 2017, 04:37:53 pm by The Red Baron »
It all depends whether the teams in question want what we've got.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on February 22, 2017, 05:01:42 pm by les@donr »

True. However, given York's situation, you would think they would be happy for some extra firepower in the shape of Beestin, could resurrect their slim chances of staying up.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on February 22, 2017, 07:43:58 pm by balbyrover »

Very true. But I'd be concerned if a team at that level don't see any of our young lads as a improvement to their team.
All our lads should be pushing on to be a important player at conference level at the very least by now if they're to be a success in a future DRFC side.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on February 22, 2017, 09:32:01 pm by les@donr »
Halifax are doing well in National North, another local side we could send lads to, another option would be Harrogate.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012