Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:55:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Games where rovers have truely been out classed  (Read 5724 times)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Games where rovers have truely been out classed
« on February 16, 2017, 02:16:42 pm by not on facebook »
One game sticks out in my mind still toady and it was the fayouth cup
final 1st leg vs arsenal at BV.

Rovers youth had allready knocked out both man city and Spurs youth in previous rounds at BV which I went to.

Sure we was back in div3 back then but this was 3 1st divisions rovers
were up against.

The crowd for the arsenal fayouth cup final at BV  was the biggest crowd at BV that season which says a lot.

But the memory I still have is the arsenal forward Kevin Cambell who
destroyed us that day  on his own with power pace strength and 4 goals or was it all 5 in that drubbing .

It was basically a MONSTER  as in cambell vs little boys .

Was talking to a lass out here  in a pub a good 15 years back ,and all was looking good as I was doing my upmost to right up the garden path .

That all fell through when she told me that she had had Kevin Campbell up her garden path years before when arsenal were on a pre
season out here after she pulled him in a night club.

That put me right off as I was getting flash backs off Cambell hitting back of rovers net during that fayouth cup final .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Re: Games where rovers have truely been out classed
« Reply #1 on February 16, 2017, 02:19:04 pm by mushRTID »
Bolton at the keepmoat think it was 4-0 in the end but we didn't get a sniff, they were so quick and strong it was men against boys.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 16, 2017, 02:22:11 pm by Copps is Magic »
Good call Mush, there's been a few games against MK Dons over recent times where they've annihilated us. Copps sometimes refers to it in interviews. Also seem to recall the same thing happening against Reading.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:35:21 pm by Copps is Magic »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 16, 2017, 02:30:18 pm by Filo »
Swansea at the KM, gave us a masterclass that night

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 16, 2017, 02:35:37 pm by GazLaz »
When Yeovil battered us and Kevin Gall scored a hat full. Unbelievable performance by them.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 16, 2017, 02:41:57 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I remember that game NOF. Kevin Campbell absolutely tore the Rovers team apart that night. I seem to recall that the 2nd leg at Highbury was a much closer affair but the damage had been done by then.

Another game I recall where Rovers were outclassed was in a Littlewoods Cup tie in the 1990's against Rotherham at Belle Vue. It was a balmy late summers night so must have been a first round match. Anyway, I think they won 2-6 or something like that and it could easily have been much more. Rovers just weren't at the races that night. Losing like that was bad enough, but to Rotherham made it much, much worse.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 16, 2017, 02:51:22 pm by Donnywolf »
Bolton at the keepmoat think it was 4-0 in the end but we didn't get a sniff, they were so quick and strong it was men against boys.

Off the subject but could not resist .... funniest thing I have ever heard at a Footy Match

Carling Cup Arsenal v Wolves. Arsenal were playing their Youth Team lads who went on to become household names + Patrick Viera and Kanu (the only 2 I had really heard of) Wolves had a full side and were losing 5-0

Up jumps a Wolves fan and bellows ffs sort it out Wolves .... Its men against boys ....(pause for a few seconds) .... and WE'RE the Men !

Brilliant

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 16, 2017, 02:52:46 pm by Donnywolf »

Good call - were were second best from minute one

Was there a Spurs 1-5 game as well not long after which was "a bit one sided"

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 16, 2017, 03:02:04 pm by VivaRovers »
Aye, but in the game against Spurs we started the brighter and could've been 1-0 or 2-0 ahead but for two brilliant saves by Carlo Cudiccini. Once we gifted them a goal it was all Spurs mind, but we were certainly in it.

Bolton is a great example as it was all over by half-time.

Similarly the FA Cup replay away at Wolves the other year that we lost 5-0 and never had a sniff of goal.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 16, 2017, 03:03:40 pm by NickDRFC »

Good call - were were second best from minute one

Was there a Spurs 1-5 game as well not long after which was "a bit one sided"

I wouldn't say that was comparable to the Bolton game, I remember we started that game brightly and could have had a couple of goals before they scored their first. They were pretty comfortable winners after that, as the scoreline suggests, but we gave a decent account of ourselves.

2 recent results that spring to mind when thinking about drubbings are the 0-6 at home to Ipswich and 5-0 at Wolves in a cup replay. Didn't see either though so not sure how fair a reflection of the games they were.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 16, 2017, 03:09:32 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
When Swansea did us over at the KM in league one (4-0 from memory), they looked class.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 16, 2017, 03:35:08 pm by The Red Baron »
The Wolves replay really was a hammering. We were truly awful that night. What made it worse was that my boss at the time was a Wolves fan.

The first game, 2-2, had been a decent contest.

The Ipswich game was soon after that, although we were heavily depleted by injuries after Steve Cotterill's thugs had kicked us off the park. When I heard the line up I nearly got in the car and drove home.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 16, 2017, 03:52:33 pm by Dutch Uncle »
When Swansea did us over at the KM in league one (4-0 from memory), they looked class.

The most one-sided match I ever saw Rovers lose was on a wet April Fools' Day 1967 - we lost 6-0 at Swansea. I'd be surprised if anyone else on here saw it

Exactly 40 years later to the day in much sunnier weather,  we did rather better on another trip to South Wales. I think 22000 more of us saw it.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 16, 2017, 03:57:54 pm by Chris Black come back »
That Ipswich 6-0 debacle at home under SOD where Mustapha played in goal and ROK was left back or something due to injuries.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 16, 2017, 04:29:42 pm by tommy toes »
Every game in the 1997/98 season.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 16, 2017, 04:30:19 pm by Mike_F »
That Ipswich 6-0 debacle at home under SOD where Mustapha played in goal and ROK was left back or something due to injuries.

We still had the bookies in the South Stand concourse at the time. I'd never seen such a queue as the one pre-match for that game with pretty much everyone lumping on Ipswich. They were priced about 6/4 IIRC and I had £20 on them for the win and another bit on them to be winning at half time (which I collected during the break).

The bookies must've lost a packet that day.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 16, 2017, 04:30:57 pm by drfchound »
Not sure if i am missing a joke with the Mustapha reference Chris, probably a slight on Gary Woods who was in goal that night, it may have even been his debut.
However, no way was ROK playing left back.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 16, 2017, 04:31:25 pm by VivaRovers »
Get out of my head NickDRFC

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 16, 2017, 04:31:53 pm by Mike_F »

There seems to be a bit of an unwritten rule that that season doesn't count in any of these discussions. Plenty to choose from but the most "outclassed" had to be Forest's 8-0(?) demolition spearheaded by Pierre Van Hooijdonk.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 16, 2017, 04:34:30 pm by drfchound »
One game sticks out in my mind still toady and it was the fayouth cup
final 1st leg vs arsenal at BV.

Rovers youth had allready knocked out both man city and Spurs youth in previous rounds at BV which I went to.

Sure we was back in div3 back then but this was 3 1st divisions rovers
were up against.

The crowd for the arsenal fayouth cup final at BV  was the biggest crowd at BV that season which says a lot.

But the memory I still have is the arsenal forward Kevin Cambell who
destroyed us that day  on his own with power pace strength and 4 goals or was it all 5 in that drubbing .

It was basically a MONSTER  as in cambell vs little boys .

Was talking to a lass out here  in a pub a good 15 years back ,and all was looking good as I was doing my upmost to right up the garden path .

That all fell through when she told me that she had had Kevin Campbell up her garden path years before when arsenal were on a pre
season out here after she pulled him in a night club.

That put me right off as I was getting flash backs off Cambell hitting back of rovers net during that fayouth cup final .

I was at the first leg game too.
In all honesty our boys were not totally outclassed at all but the difference between the two sides was, as you noted, Campbell who was street ahead of anyone else on the pitch.
He missed the second leg which i believe was a 1-1 draw, again our lads were equal to the Arsenal lads without the problem of having to deal with Campbell.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 16, 2017, 04:51:45 pm by The Red Baron »

There seems to be a bit of an unwritten rule that that season doesn't count in any of these discussions. Plenty to choose from but the most "outclassed" had to be Forest's 8-0(?) demolition spearheaded by Pierre Van Hooijdonk.

Agreed. The best thing about that night was dear old Ken Avis trying to pronounce "Van Hooijdonk" on numerous occasions.

Him against Darren Brookes really was the biggest mis-match in the history of football.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 16, 2017, 04:52:08 pm by idler »

The most one-sided match I ever saw Rovers lose was on a wet April Fools' Day 1967 - we lost 6-0 at Swansea. I'd be surprised if anyone else on here saw it

Exactly 40 years later to the day in much sunnier weather,  we did rather better on another trip to South Wales. I think 22000 more of us saw it.
I was there Dutch. I won the lucky programme number in the half-time draw.
2 stand tickets for the next Swansea game. I sold the programme to a local for half a crown.
That night before the bus left at midnight we were in a pub in the city centre and when we got talking to some lads they got the lasses to come round and give us a kiss as we came from Donny.
Then went to the chippy and they gave us double fish and chips each as we came from a mining area.
The game was awful and if I remember right we played in red shirts with white pinstripes. The only time that I saw that kit and I did see a few hammerings away that season. Something like 115 goals conceded I think.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 16, 2017, 05:18:48 pm by Dutch Uncle »
You have mail Idler

Hats off if you watched many away matches that season - we lost the last 18 away matches in a row, many times conceding 5 or 6.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:21:09 pm by Dutch Uncle »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 16, 2017, 05:28:19 pm by IDM »
Arsenal away in the league cup Sep '87, was pretty one sided, we lost 1-0 having been 0-3 down from the first leg.

Too many 4th division games to remember!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 16, 2017, 05:43:43 pm by roversdude »
First half against Ull at their place we were destroyed by a certain Mr Price

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 16, 2017, 05:52:49 pm by idler »
Grimsby, Boxing Day 1966. 4-0 defeat and freezing.
Big head Matt Tees played in gloves the first time I'd seen any player apart from a goalie wear them. I think that he scored two as well.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 16, 2017, 06:17:33 pm by turnbull for england »
I remember that game NOF. Kevin Campbell absolutely tore the Rovers team apart that night. I seem to recall that the 2nd leg at Highbury was a much closer affair but the damage had been done by then.

Another game I recall where Rovers were outclassed was in a Littlewoods Cup tie in the 1990's against Rotherham at Belle Vue. It was a balmy late summers night so must have been a first round match. Anyway, I think they won 2-6 or something like that and it could easily have been much more. Rovers just weren't at the races that night. Losing like that was bad enough, but to Rotherham made it much, much worse.
[/quote

It was Rumbelows cup then, both sides won a tele each for highest score. when I saw this thread Bolton came straight to mind,  an Iranian kid ran the show

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 16, 2017, 06:23:40 pm by johnny rovers »
Bournemouth 5 - rovers 0

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 16, 2017, 06:26:48 pm by Rovers91 »
Same as the comment above, Bournemouth other season was f**king dreadful.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 16, 2017, 06:28:16 pm by idler »

[/quote

It was Rumbelows cup then, both sides won a tele each for highest score. when I saw this thread Bolton came straight to mind,  an Iranian kid ran the show
That Iranian kid is probably still running now.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012