Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:58:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Games where rovers have truely been out classed  (Read 5725 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Games where rovers have truely been out classed
« Reply #30 on February 16, 2017, 06:39:40 pm by The Red Baron »
Same as the comment above, Bournemouth other season was f**king dreadful.

Couple of horror shows at Bournemouth. The one in 2004-5 where SO'D's boys tore us a new one. And the 5-0 when Dickov was in charge.

I missed those but saw us lose 7-1 at Bournemouth in 1978-79. Funnily enough I wouldn't say we were outclassed. Every shot they had seemed to go in.

On the other hand a 6-0 defeat to Graham Taylor's Watford in 1977-78 was very one sided. We did have a couple of goals disallowed but it could have been 12-2.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Crowle Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 16, 2017, 07:02:23 pm by Crowle Rover »

The 4-0 Swansea Friday night at the Keepmoat sticks in my mind. Totally outclassed by them.

The 6-0 Ipswich game was a different kettle of fish. From my recollection of the game I didn't think we were that bad it was just that every shot they had went in.
Was that also Connor Wickhams last game for them before he got transferred to Sunderland?

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 16, 2017, 07:20:40 pm by Goole Rover »
Rovers 4 Mansfield 6 Sticks in my mind, a miserable Friday night at BV in 1967 ? The poor lad in goal had a nightmare.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 16, 2017, 07:34:24 pm by RoversAlias »

The 4-0 Swansea Friday night at the Keepmoat sticks in my mind. Totally outclassed by them.

The 6-0 Ipswich game was a different kettle of fish. From my recollection of the game I didn't think we were that bad it was just that every shot they had went in.
Was that also Connor Wickhams last game for them before he got transferred to Sunderland?

I think he stayed til the summer but it drove his value up for sure.

Ipswich weren't even that good in that game, we were just utterly woeful especially in defence. I spent the whole game sat next to a mate who's an Ipswich fan as well. Not fun.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 16, 2017, 08:06:35 pm by idler »
We actually had the ball over the line at 0-5 but it was cleared, not given and they broke to get number 6.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 16, 2017, 08:33:08 pm by 1879Rovers »
Bournemouth 5 - rovers 0

I think that was the game that got John Ryan interested in SOD. They battered us in the opening 25 minutes, by which time it was all over.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 16, 2017, 08:34:02 pm by drfc1951 »
Rovers 4 Mansfield 6 Sticks in my mind, a miserable Friday night at BV in 1967 ? The poor lad in goal had a nightmare.

Dave Cromack making his league debut.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 16, 2017, 08:35:20 pm by sheffield exile1 »
The debacle at Peterborough in the FA Cup when the players had been seen in a nightclub until the early hours when we were in Div 3 and they were Div 4. Substitute lacklustre for hungover. Only highlight of that day, as we were searched and made to go into the ground by mounted police with dogs 2 hours before kick off, was seeing my mate who had come on the train get in the ground with a Watneys party 7!. When we scored he ran on the pitch and was nearly rugby tackled by a copper who ended up face down in the mud due to a mean body swerve. Upon arrest he told me was, shall we say, politely, roughly handled!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on February 16, 2017, 08:40:52 pm by The Red Baron »
The debacle at Peterborough in the FA Cup when the players had been seen in a nightclub until the early hours when we were in Div 3 and they were Div 4. Substitute lacklustre for hungover. Only highlight of that day, as we were searched and made to go into the ground by mounted police with dogs 2 hours before kick off, was seeing my mate who had come on the train get in the ground with a Watneys party 7!. When we scored he ran on the pitch and was nearly rugby tackled by a copper who ended up face down in the mud due to a mean body swerve. Upon arrest he told me was, shall we say, politely, roughly handled!

I think I was at that game. About 1982 IIRC. We were absolutely gash.

Watney's Party 7? You poor things!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 16, 2017, 09:45:37 pm by BobG »
Every game in the 1997/98 season.

Spot on Tommy. I do count that godawful season. It was still Donny Rovers playing. Even if they were bad. For me though the match away at Ninian Park was the absolute bottom. Cardiff City won, I think, 7-1. We were bloody dreadful. I went with a Cardiff supporting mate. He suggested that several of our players looked like they were playing for Cardiff rather than the Rovers. No prizes for working out which of our lot he was referring to either - that South Manchester mafia. I've seen us thumped at Shrewsbury, thumped at Spurs, thumped at Newcastle, thumped at Bournemouth, but that day at Cardiff was the worst by a very, very long way indeed.

Cheers

BobG

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on February 16, 2017, 11:29:22 pm by idler »
The enemy within Bob.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 17, 2017, 09:49:40 am by Donnywolf »
Same as the comment above, Bournemouth other season was f**king dreadful.

Couple of horror shows at Bournemouth. The one in 2004-5 where SO'D's boys tore us a new one. And the 5-0 when Dickov was in charge.

I missed those but saw us lose 7-1 at Bournemouth in 1978-79. Funnily enough I wouldn't say we were outclassed. Every shot they had seemed to go in.

On the other hand a 6-0 defeat to Graham Taylor's Watford in 1977-78 was very one sided. We did have a couple of goals disallowed but it could have been 12-2.

Oh mg ... I had forgotten (erased from my memory) that 6-0 at Watford. It was very one sided but they seemed to score with a couple of cross come shots I seem to recall

I was stood right in front of where Elton John was sitting and noticed he was regularly leaping up and down as they got goal after goal

There were 5 of us in the Car going home and after about 20 minutes they noticed I had been seemingly struck dumb. So one asked hey JT what do you think and I just said "Horror of Horrors" and one of the quintet immediately changed my name to " Big 'orrah" combining my height and my saying and he call me it to this day !

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 17, 2017, 09:56:00 am by NickDRFC »

Ipswich weren't even that good in that game, we were just utterly woeful especially in defence. I spent the whole game sat next to a mate who's an Ipswich fan as well. Not fun.

Just looked at our team for that day and my memory must be playing tricks on me - I was sure we had a dreadful back line but apparently it was Chambers, O'Connor, Friend and Joe Mills. Not the best we've ever put out but should have been solid enough. Must have just had a shocker.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on February 17, 2017, 10:22:25 am by idler »
It was the Middlesborough game that we won and where Mark Wilson scored late on.
That game shouldn't really have been played on a frozen pitch

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on February 17, 2017, 10:23:36 am by roversdude »

Just looked at our team for that day and my memory must be playing tricks on me - I was sure we had a dreadful back line but apparently it was Chambers, O'Connor, Friend and Joe Mills. Not the best we've ever put out but should have been solid enough. Must have just had a shocker.

To be fair Swansea were awesome

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 17, 2017, 10:51:33 am by RoversAlias »

Hird was also in defence because he scored the opener, a bit of a daft own goal. We were just all over the shop from start to finish unfortunately. Was a strange game.

EDIT: Looking at it Wayne Thomas also came on at half time, now he wasn't exactly a talented centre half when playing for us!

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on February 17, 2017, 12:19:29 pm by jonnydog »
I remember playing reading in championship at the keepmoat and was totally impressed at how they played. Always sticks in my mind.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on February 17, 2017, 01:24:42 pm by IDM »
I don't count the 0-6 vs Ipswich, for the simple reason that it was a joy to watch following the horror show of Cotterill's Portsmouth a few days before...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 17, 2017, 03:34:46 pm by drfchound »
It was the Middlesborough game that we won and where Mark Wilson scored late on.
That game shouldn't really have been played on a frozen pitch

if it was the 2010 game idler, it was Stocky who got the last minute winner, it JUST crossed the line.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on February 17, 2017, 04:20:23 pm by idler »
You are right hound. It went over in slow motion.
I think the Wilson one that I was thinking about was against Derby.
It was Middlesborough though where we had a very patched up defence though I think.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 17, 2017, 04:46:09 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Spurs away in the league cup 7-2? Although Kitch put us 2-1 up until Les Chappell backpass if my memory serves me. How many were near that gate when the steward opened it and let the Spurs hooligans in?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on February 17, 2017, 06:22:44 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Sorry, I am going to disagree there Sheffield.

I went with a lifelong Spurs supporter, and he spent most of the match cringing. We were the better side for 60 minutes before a bizarre own goal turned the match on its head. The final score was immensely flattering for Spurs.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on February 17, 2017, 06:56:09 pm by Donnywolf »
I have to agree DU.

I have posted a scan of the local Paper London Standard ? on here before - which had the headline Lucky Lucky Spurs (or that may paraphrase it)

We had them for sure until LC's inexplicable own Goal and they then scored with some freaky crosses and no way was that a 7-2 game ! Totally unjust scoreline - maybe the right winners ultimately

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on February 17, 2017, 11:33:41 pm by BobG »
Martin Chivers and John Duncan went mad after Les Chappell's back pass flat footed Dennis. They were shooting from all over the place. Guided misssiles the lot of them. In later years they would have been called Exocets. It wasn't a poor show by us. We played very well indeed. And I too have a copy of the Evening Standard with that headline on the back page.

That 0-6 at Watford was a horror show though. Even worse, we'd lost 5-1 there the season before and both matches I went with a Watford mate. Jesus.....

BobG
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:22:49 pm by BobG »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 18, 2017, 10:24:42 am by Campsall rover »
I have to agree DU.

I have posted a scan of the local Paper London Standard ? on here before - which had the headline Lucky Lucky Spurs (or that may paraphrase it)

We had them for sure until LC's inexplicable own Goal and they then scored with some freaky crosses and no way was that a 7-2 game ! Totally unjust scoreline - maybe the right winners ultimately
That Spurs game was my first ever Rovers away match. A game which is imprinted in my memory for ever.
Yes we were very unlucky to lose 7-2 every shot in the second half went in. I think it was a 20 min hatrick for John Duncan.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012