Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:24:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Goal Line Technology  (Read 2691 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Goal Line Technology
« on February 16, 2017, 05:36:54 pm by The Red Baron »
http://mobile.efl.com//news/article/2016/efl-goal-line-technology-to-be-introduced-in-201718-3579838.aspx

Good news. Being introduced from next season in the EFL.

Bad news. Only in the Championship.

So we won't benefit from it until 2018-19.  ;)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Goal Line Technology
« Reply #1 on February 16, 2017, 05:54:19 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
It could well be just my eyes, but I think this has changed the perception of what a goal is with it now being more clear that the whole ball and not just the centre has to cross the line.

That's something that has also changed in taking corners where I've only noticed recently it being normal to place the ball for the kick so that from overhead the edge of the ball is in contact with the line where before the bottom of the ball had to be in contact with the line.

Similar is true for when a ball's judged to be out for a corner/goalkick, but not for throwins where it still wrongly seems to be the norm for only the centre of the ball to be over the line for it to be given as out of play.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 17, 2017, 06:32:33 am by Donnywolf »
http://mobile.efl.com//news/article/2016/efl-goal-line-technology-to-be-introduced-in-201718-3579838.aspx

Good news. Being introduced from next season in the EFL.

Bad news. Only in the Championship.

So we won't benefit from it until 2018-19.  ;)

Hoorah at last - and soon it will be in the 4 Divisions one would hope

I was however drawn to the Paragraph :

It could see the latest ‘Hawk-eye’ technology installed at all Championship clubs in order to assist referees and their assistants in making crucial decisions whereby there is doubt as to whether the ball has cross the line for a goal or not.

It may be my reading or interpretation but surely it does not assist them - instead it becomes the definitive decision maker for them ?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 17, 2017, 08:48:49 am by Bentley Bullet »
Why not cover the football with Velcro, and place a giant Velcro pad about 9" (the diameter of a football) behind the goal line? Sorted.

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 17, 2017, 09:43:58 am by Syme »
It does seem a bit inconsistent, if the whole of the ball has to be over the whole of the line to be a goal, but then when taking a cornerkick the whole of the ball doesn't have to be over the whole of the line.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 17, 2017, 12:22:40 pm by Filo »
It does seem a bit inconsistent, if the whole of the ball has to be over the whole of the line to be a goal, but then when taking a cornerkick the whole of the ball doesn't have to be over the whole of the line.

If the whole of the ball is over the line then surely it's over the whole of the line lol!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 17, 2017, 12:50:45 pm by idler »
At a corner the ball has to have a part of it in or on the quadrant, that's why they now get away with outside but part of the ball overlapping the line.

Syme

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 17, 2017, 12:54:52 pm by Syme »
Thanks for clearning that up idler.

I saw they recently changed the rules on corners to stop the tricky one where the player takes it but none of the opposition sees, then they beckon over a teammate who then runs it in to the box catching everyone off guard.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 17, 2017, 01:20:14 pm by IDM »
At a corner the ball has to have a part of it in or on the quadrant, that's why they now get away with outside but part of the ball overlapping the line.

It could well be just my eyes, but I think this has changed the perception of what a goal is with it now being more clear that the whole ball and not just the centre has to cross the line.

That's something that has also changed in taking corners where I've only noticed recently it being normal to place the ball for the kick so that from overhead the edge of the ball is in contact with the line where before the bottom of the ball had to be in contact with the line.

Similar is true for when a ball's judged to be out for a corner/goalkick, but not for throwins where it still wrongly seems to be the norm for only the centre of the ball to be over the line for it to be given as out of play.

These were always the case, at least when I studied to be a ref 25 years ago!

It is always the whole of the ball needs to be over the line, when viewed from above, to be over a line for a goal, a corner, goal kick or throw in. For a corner, goal kick, penalty some of the ball needs to be touching the line/spot when viewed from above.

This means that when looking at a low angle, the actual part of the ball touching the ground may appear to be "over" the line even if the whole of the ball is not.

For a throw in I think the point you make is more to do with the officials and fans getting it wrong!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 17, 2017, 03:51:55 pm by drfchound »
Why not cover the football with Velcro, and place a giant Velcro pad about 9" (the diameter of a football) behind the goal line? Sorted.

It would have to be a big sheet of velcro 8ft high x 8 yards wide covering the whole of the inside of the goal frame, stretched to be so tight that it wouldnt move forward if windy then if the ball hit it it would stick like flies on flypaper.
It could cause a problem for fans behind the goal though if it wasnt see through.
Otherwise, yes, a very good idea.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 17, 2017, 04:27:35 pm by i_ateallthepies »

And... and, which side of the velcro would you cover the ball with, them bloody stiff plastic hooks would make a right mess of your fringe when you head it.

It would have to be a big sheet of velcro 8ft high x 8 yards wide covering the whole of the inside of the goal frame, stretched to be so tight that it wouldnt move forward if windy then if the ball hit it it would stick like flies on flypaper.
It could cause a problem for fans behind the goal though if it wasnt see through.
Otherwise, yes, a very good idea.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 18, 2017, 01:12:37 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
These were always the case, at least when I studied to be a ref 25 years ago!

It is always the whole of the ball needs to be over the line, when viewed from above, to be over a line for a goal, a corner, goal kick or throw in. For a corner, goal kick, penalty some of the ball needs to be touching the line/spot when viewed from above.

This means that when looking at a low angle, the actual part of the ball touching the ground may appear to be "over" the line even if the whole of the ball is not.

For a throw in I think the point you make is more to do with the officials and fans getting it wrong!

Exactly :) It drives me mad seeing everyone get this wrong.

Before this season, how many times have you seen linos insist on the ball at least touching the outside of the quadrant line for corners. So, just the touchlines for officials, and fans, to get it right on.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012