Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:38:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lawrie Sheffield  (Read 3726 times)

Capmeister

• Forum Member
Lawrie Sheffield
« on February 18, 2017, 10:55:15 am by Capmeister »
Flicked telly on this morning and there's Lawrie Sheffield still laking footy. Good on him. My Dad alus goes on about him being a top striker in the 60's for Rovers

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Lawrie Sheffield
« Reply #1 on February 18, 2017, 11:01:20 am by Bentley Bullet »
The best header of a ball I've ever seen for Rovers. Great player, strong as an Ox.

He'd score for fun in his prime with the present team.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 18, 2017, 11:06:36 am by idler »
Hard as nails but fair.
I was devastated when we sold him.
That was a disgracefully short sighted move by the board led by Hubert Bates.
What a horrible man he was, probably second only to Uncle Ken.

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 18, 2017, 11:11:28 am by Surrey Rover »

I was devastated when we sold him.
That was a disgracefully short sighted move by the board led by Hubert Bates.

One of many Idler

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 18, 2017, 11:16:31 am by Bentley Bullet »
I was devastated too. To add to the misery his Norwich debut was on Match of the Day that Saturday, and he scored a hat-trick.  :(

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 18, 2017, 11:38:45 am by Donnywolf »
I was devastated too. To add to the misery his Norwich debut was on Match of the Day that Saturday, and he scored a hat-trick.  :(

I was devastated too. In the days before Social Media when we had good lod Phones TV and Radio I was waiting a PE Lesson and PE Teacher (might have been Eddie Beaglehole) said "lads I have some news Laurie Sheffield has been transferred to Norwich" . FFS I was gutted

A top striker and you knew if a Keeper spilled a shot LS would simply knock in the rebound - and of course he had loads of goals in him from other positions on the Pitch as well !!

EDIT

Sorry but I just typed Laurie Sheffield out of habit and then noticed the OP says Lawrie. So I doubted myself but Wikipedia says Laurence Sheffield ... so I was right but this was not an attempt to correct the OP.

I "did"  for Roversron the other day by correcting his Lawlor spelling and he says he wont post again (wish he would) so I dont want to do it again ! :scarf:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:46:18 am by Donnywolf »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 18, 2017, 12:51:44 pm by roversdude »
DW if someone is so thin skinned
It's not like you put red writing all over with see me at the bottom

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 18, 2017, 12:51:55 pm by Lesonthewest »
Still deliver to him now & again, top bloke.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 18, 2017, 01:02:16 pm by roversdude »
I think him and Brian Usher and a few other ex players frequent Cantley Club
Can't remember ever seeing him play but the tales I was told growing up he was one hell of a player

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 18, 2017, 01:33:55 pm by Goole Rover »
Laurie Sheffield is a legend, the battering ram that paved the way for so many of Alick Jeffrey's goals. He was a fantastic header of the ball and frightened of nothing. I was also devastated when he was sold to Norwich, opinions are right Hubert Bates came a close second to Richardson. Bates and his cronies managed to get rid of Frank Wilson a great Chairman of the past. Laurie Sheffield was not only a great footballer but a lovely genuine man who would always give his time freely, long may he be associated with Doncaster Rovers.

BiargeBob

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 18, 2017, 10:38:30 pm by BiargeBob »
Great bloke is Laurie. Coached Carr FC in the Sunday League for a season when he was at Peterborough, even when he broke his ankle. I picked him up every Sunday and he stood on the touchline with his crutches to encourage us. A few years later I went to buy a car at Riverside motors and Laurie sold me his old Triumph Herald that he bought when he was at Norwich.
Top bloke as well as a great centre forward.

ch-ch rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 18, 2017, 10:51:28 pm by ch-ch rover »
He also worked as a rep for Jewsons met him a few times on building sites he was very approachable a really nice bloke

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 19, 2017, 08:39:18 am by Bezza »
we got Lawrie from Newport County,great signing one of Rovers best centre forwards great target man and goal scorer

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 19, 2017, 10:00:37 am by Dutch Uncle »
My all time Rovers hero, pipping Alick because Laurie was from the same part of the world as me. As a young Swansea boy growing up in Doncaster it was great to have such hero.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 19, 2017, 10:01:19 am by idler »
I think that Bill Leivers signed him because he was so impressed with the hard game that Laurie gave him the year before.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 19, 2017, 10:16:00 am by Bentley Bullet »
My brother and I were watching Rovers train at the rear of old Belle Vue, where the Asda now is. It was shortly after the car crash tragedy that claimed the life of John Nicholson. Alick Jeffrey had just started back in training and still had facial bruising.

The players were coming out with a few expletives, and one of them said, "keep the language down lads, there's a couple of kids there".

Yes, you've guessed it, it was Laurie Sheffield.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 19, 2017, 11:07:39 am by Bezza »
Bill Leivers did a great job for us in the short time he was here, as well as Lawrie didn`t he also bring in Tony Coleman who he got from Bangor and we sold to Man City

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 19, 2017, 01:23:35 pm by not on facebook »
I think him and Brian Usher and a few other ex players frequent Cantley Club
Can't remember ever seeing him play but the tales I was told growing up he was one hell of a player

Used to see mr Sheffield in the paddock pub  cantley with john bird on friday nights 25 or so years ago

I would leave to bar side and go into the lounge side and have 5 to 10 mins with them .

Back then John bird was big into his art .

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 19, 2017, 03:49:44 pm by BobG »
He still is big into art Olso. That's what he does to make a living - paintings. Unless he's retired by now I suppose. Some years back now my Mum had him paint a rather nice picture of Durham Abbey. It's still hanging in her lounge. I keep hoping I can inherit it one day.

Cheers

BobG

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 19, 2017, 04:05:32 pm by StocktonRover »
Unless you meant Durham Cathedral, that painting would have to be Finchale Abbey Bob.

Both quite impressive in different ways.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 19, 2017, 04:54:39 pm by not on facebook »
He still is big into art Olso. That's what he does to make a living - paintings. Unless he's retired by now I suppose. Some years back now my Mum had him paint a rather nice picture of Durham Abbey. It's still hanging in her lounge. I keep hoping I can inherit it one day.

Cheers

BobG

When I moved over to norway  and went back to donny and was ever in the paddock pub on Friday nights I would still go into the paddock lounge side to have a few beers with John bird and Laurie Sheffield.

John would tell us how when he was much younger he went over to stvanger in norway to paint and
he could not belive the price of brushes and paint in norway back then.

When rovers were at their lowest It was john bird and lurrie who came into the paddock one night and
mentioned the rovers pitch owners scheme to us and got full payment from me.

Also I recall buying a rovers re production shirt that the club was pushing from a season yonks back that John bird got me paying out for,

Sure he was on the commercial department at rovers back then.

Even bought some of his work based on Doncaster town centre prints done by himself from john bird
which I still have the 3 prints up in me place today

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 19, 2017, 05:12:28 pm by BobG »
Lol. Of course I meant the cathedral.... Thanks Stockton. Brain fade.....

Bob

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 19, 2017, 07:59:30 pm by idler »

Cheers

BobG

When I moved over to norway  and went back to donny and was ever in the paddock pub on Friday nights I would still go into the paddock lounge side to have a few beers with John bird and Laurie Sheffield.

John would tell us how when he was much younger he went over to stvanger in norway to paint and
he could not belive the price of brushes and paint in norway back then.

When rovers were at their lowest It was john bird and lurrie who came into the paddock one night and
mentioned the rovers pitch owners scheme to us and got full payment from me.

Also I recall buying a rovers re production shirt that the club was pushing from a season yonks back that John bird got me paying out for,

Sure he was on the commercial department at rovers back then.

Even bought some of his work based on Doncaster town centre prints done by himself from john bird
which I still have the 3 prints up in me place today
He was commercial manager or similar and was then dispensed with in a rather untidy way, I don't know why but he wasn't right happy.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 19, 2017, 08:43:40 pm by drfchound »
Laurie and Alick were a fantastic front two for us for a couple of seasons.
I played golf with Laurie at Wheatley a couple of times, he was off 7 I seem to remember.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012