Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:55:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alfie May  (Read 3664 times)

donnyallday

• Forum Member
Alfie May
« on February 18, 2017, 05:50:09 pm by donnyallday »
So pleased for the lad today, waited his time then delivered with a cool finish, looks hungry and fired up, well done son.  :rtid:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Re: Alfie May
« Reply #1 on February 18, 2017, 05:51:48 pm by Dare to dream! »
Needs to start next game

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 18, 2017, 05:52:20 pm by silent majority »
A sensible choice for the VSC to sponsor him then when he joined the club!  ;) ;)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 18, 2017, 05:53:02 pm by Copps is Magic »
What pleasantly surprised me is that he didn't look nervous at all.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 18, 2017, 05:53:28 pm by donnievic »
So pleased for the lad today, waited his time then delivered with a cool finish, looks hungry and fired up, well done son.  :rtid:
hardly a cool finish more like got lucky but they all count

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 18, 2017, 05:53:45 pm by Chris Black come back »
Seems cracking lad with great attitude. All power to him. Fookin tiny though!

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 18, 2017, 06:00:15 pm by chrisd_123 »
Absolute hero for me winning that free kick late on for the 'high foot' when the defender's foot was about 2 foot away from him! Just turned to the ref and held his head.

Looked very assured. Quick to get in front of the defender and what a finish. Great ball but still had to score it and could have seen the headlines and bottled it.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 18, 2017, 06:06:40 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Very lively. Has lots to work on but huge amounts of positives too.  Reminded me of blundell.

ballysbackin

« Reply #8 on February 18, 2017, 06:07:48 pm by ballysbackin »
What surprised me after he scored is that he kept his head on his shoulders, there were enough orange shirts trying to remove it

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 18, 2017, 06:08:13 pm by mushRTID »
Very lively. Has lots to work on but huge amounts of positives too.  Reminded me of blundell.

When you say lots to work on, what do you mean? I honestly don't think he could have done any more.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 18, 2017, 06:11:22 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

When you say lots to work on, what do you mean? I honestly don't think he could have done any more.

Couple of times he could have played quick passes but didn't.  Also a little out of sync once or twice.  But you'd expect that, new to the team and level, it will come. He's not the finished article but he's looking good still.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 18, 2017, 06:12:23 pm by Lesonthewest »
What a moment that must have been for the lad sticking that away, thought the keeper should have saved it like, but take nothing away from him, he has bags of confidence.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 18, 2017, 06:15:54 pm by drfchound »

No luck involved.
Good pace to get away from the defender, got his body in position to pick his spot then did so,right between the legs of the onrushing keeper who had spread himself.
A good strikers finish.
If you think it was lucky then start watching closely on the tv and count how many strikers shoot low between the keepers legs.
They can't get down to them in that situation.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 18, 2017, 06:16:54 pm by chrisd_123 »
What a moment that must have been for the lad sticking that away, thought the keeper should have saved it like, but take nothing away from him, he has bags of confidence.

Confidence is the key. He's a lad who's made a career at the lower levels bagging goals for fun. He's under no pressure whatsoever so can continue to play like he's still playing 9th tier in a sense that he can just enjoy it and do what he does best - putting the ball in the back of the net.

He's not got a price tag or professional reputation around his neck. He can just play. Great start. Really excited to see how he develops with this team because he'll get the chances.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 18, 2017, 06:20:32 pm by Bessie Red »

No luck involved.
Good pace to get away from the defender, got his body in position to pick his spot then did so,right between the legs of the onrushing keeper who had spread himself.
A good strikers finish.
If you think it was lucky then start watching closely on the tv and count how many strikers shoot low between the keepers legs.
They can't get down to them in that situation.

Its how Adam Le Fondre scores most of his goals & he's not a bad player!

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 18, 2017, 06:23:34 pm by eastender »
AM | I've just been to see my dad who was in the crowd and he cried when I put the ball in the net. #DRFC

ALFIE MAY | Scoring my first professional goal is the proudest moment of my life. #DRFC

I Think this lad is going to be a big fans favourite .

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 18, 2017, 06:28:14 pm by RedJ »

How is keeping your head enough to be able to slot the ball between an onrushing goalkeeper not a cool finish? Yes there was an element of luck involved but f**k me.

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 18, 2017, 06:38:06 pm by boro_rover »
Good finish that. Loved the emotion he showed as well after putting it away. He has been waiting patiently for an oppertunity and I am pleased he taken one today.

I really hope he gets a start next game, he will be desperate to kick on now and hopefully the fire in his belly will inspire a few others for a big push towards promotion.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 18, 2017, 07:12:37 pm by les@donr »
Both May and McSheffrey need to start the next game, certainly need to rest Williams, not happening for him at the moment.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 19, 2017, 10:24:08 am by bobbymax »
McSheffery would never last 45 minutes at the moment, let alone 90. May is still feeling his way in league football so I'd stick with Williams starting at present until Mandy is fit again. Filling Houghton's role is going to be the problem. Middleton, Keegan or Mason? If the latter, Baudry, Wright or Lund could fit into a back three depending on the opposition (but please not Cedric).

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 19, 2017, 12:03:46 pm by balbyrover »
I think he deserves a crack. He can't do any more than he did testerday off the bench? The last few games Williams and Marquis have struggled for goals so i dont see any harm in giving Alfie a start.
I would fetch him in to the starting eleven and put Williams on the bench as he is clearly struggling with his confidence lately.

Also,that is not in any way a swipe at Williams. Whilst he hasnt scored many of late,i still think he offers a lot to the team and has been unlucky not to score in recent weeks. I just feel a change might be needed.

If we are to win the league then May,Williams and Marquis are going to be required to play their part.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 19, 2017, 12:22:19 pm by the vicar »
[quoteSome of  author=Chris Black come back link=topic=261166.msg682217#msg682217 date=1487440425]
Seems cracking lad with great attitude. All power to him. Fookin tiny though!
[/quote]SOME of the best players in the world have been small

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 19, 2017, 12:30:40 pm by Dutch Uncle »
As an oldie, I remember another small blond-haired Rovers striker called Alfie, with a short second name ........ Alfie Hale. Is there anyone old enough who was there yesterday who can say if there were any comparisons?

With reference to another current thread - Alfie did very well for us, but was eventually exchanged to Newport in a cash plus player deal which saw Laurie Sheffiled come to Rovers.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 19, 2017, 12:34:38 pm by Copps is Magic »
Watched the Alfie may interview on player. Really wanted it to be up yesterday but sadly wasn't.

Two thing come out;

1) Absolute joy pouring out of him and his family. His dad was crying in the stand apparently and trying to get by a steward to get on the pitch. May himself had 'goosebumps' when he scored

2) Luton defender at the end of the game said May caused him all sorts of problems. He was 'comfortable' having a physical battle with Marquis/Williams but May changed that.

I think that puts the size thing into perspective.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 19, 2017, 12:56:39 pm by The Beast »
Was talking to him in town last night, seemed a sound, down to earth lad, really enthusiastic about being at Rovers.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 19, 2017, 03:06:59 pm by idler »
As an oldie, I remember another small blond-haired Rovers striker called Alfie, with a short second name ........ Alfie Hale. Is there anyone old enough who was there yesterday who can say if there were any comparisons?

With reference to another current thread - Alfie did very well for us, but was eventually exchanged to Newport in a cash plus player deal which saw Laurie Sheffiled come to Rovers.
I don't think that Alfie Hale had as much pace Dutch but he was a good footballer. He had a football brain and played a couple of internationals in his spell with us I think.
 I heard a story at the time that Colin Booth left because Alfie was a bit fond of his wife.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 19, 2017, 04:05:24 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Thanks Idler  :thumbsup:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012