Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:05:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: RELAX  (Read 5100 times)

Donnybob

• Forum Member
RELAX
« on February 18, 2017, 11:24:19 pm by Donnybob »
There have been signs that certain supporters are being troubled by their bladders of late, turning on certain players, concerned the wheels have fallen off, when in reality we have lost just one game in the last 12 and remain unbeaten at home all season.

Well, relax. Seriously, calm down. 14 games left? Who else in the top 10 has lost one or fewer games over the last 12 except us? All our challengers are losing games and they are set to lose more. That is an indisputable fact. Why? Let me explain.

Our fixtures over the next month until we play Plymouth on March 26th are pretty much all against mid- to lower half teams. It is by no means overconfidence to suggest we should pick up more points than we drop.

To be fair we do not have to pick up maximum points to remain in the race because it is equally impossible for our rivals to do so. One team on an incredible run could, possibly, but even that is unlikely.

Why? It's all down to fixtures. Teams cannot both pick up 3 points each when they play each other, can they?
So check out these imminent fixtures:

FEB 21
Colchester v Wycombe

FEB 25
Carlisle v Portsmouth
Luton v Plymouth

FEB 28
Grimsby v Colchester

MAR 4
Grimsby v Wycombe
Plymouth v Carlisle

MAR 11
Colchester v Portsmouth
Luton v Stevenage
Mansfield v Plymouth

MAR 14
Carlisle v Luton
Colchester v Mansfield
Portsmouth v Grimsby
Wycombe v Plymouth

MAR 18
Luton v Exeter
Mansfield v Carlisle
Stevenage v Portsmouth

MAR 25
Colchester v Luton

So there you have it. 17 fixtures over the next few weeks where two or more of the promotion contenders meet (using up 34 games between them) and therefore cannot pick up 3 points without taking 3 off a rival. If they draw, both teams drop 2 points.

Now weigh this off against us having just what, 14 games left?

Can you see it yet? How few points we actually need to reach League One? The fixtures ahead of us are comparatively kind and as each game goes by it becomes increasingly more difficult NOT to get promoted.

Frankly, the outcome of the game against Plymouth is pretty much irrelevant if we beat a couple of lesser sides bdfore then. Unless Plymouth enjoy a remarkable run in March (when they feature in at least 4 massive games) and we tank, even then it will only affect who is crowned Champions, not if we gain promotion.

So, like Frankie says, RELAX! Chill out everyone. Get off the player's backs, stop worrying about form, injuries, formations, trust in Darren. Don't create tension and pressure on prrformances when all that’s needed is a cool head. Stop biting your nails and simply enjoy the weeks ahead. It is rarely, ever this easy...

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:28:59 pm by Donnybob »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: RELAX
« Reply #1 on February 18, 2017, 11:35:21 pm by Campsall rover »
There have been signs that certain supporters are being troubled by their bladders of late, turning on certain players, concerned the wheels have fallen off, when in reality we have lost just one game in the last 10 and remain unbeaten at home all season.

Well, relax. Seriously, calm down. 14 games left? Who else in the top 10 has lost one or fewer games over the last 10 except us? (Exeter and Mansfield). All our challengers are losing games and they are set to lose more. That is an indisputable fact. Why? Let me explain.

Our fixtures over the next month until we play Plymouth on March 26th are pretty much all against mid- to lower half teams. It is by no means overconfidence to suggest we should pick up more points than we drop.

To be fair we do not have to pick up maximum points to remain in the race because it is equally impossible for our rivals to do so. One team on an incredible run could, possibly, but even that is unlikely.

Why? It's all down to fixtures. Teams cannot both pick up 3 points each when they play each other, can they?

FEB 21
Colchester v Wycombe

FEB 25
Carlisle v Portsmouth
Luton v Plymouth

FEB 28
Grimsby v Colchester

MAR 4
Grimsby v Wycombe
Plymouth v Carlisle

MAR 11
Colchester v Portsmouth
Luton v Stevenage
Mansfield v Plymouth

MAR 14
Carlisle v Luton
Colchester v Mansfield
Portsmouth v Grimsby
Wycombe v Plymouth

MAR 18
Luton v Exeter
Mansfield v Carlisle
Stevenage v Portsmouth

MAR 25
Colchester v Luton

So there you have it. 17 fixtures over the next few weeks where two or more of the promotion contenders meet (using up 34 games between them) and therefore cannot pick up 3 points without taking 3 off a rival. If they draw, both teams drop 2 points.

Can you see it yet? How few points we actually need to reach League One? The fixtures ahead of us are comparatively kind and as each game goes by it becomes increasingly more difficult NOT to get promoted.

Frankly, the outcome of the game against Plymouth is pretty much irrelevant if we beat a couple of lesser sides bdfore then. Unless Plymouth enjoy a remarkable run in March (when they feature in at least 4 massive games) and we tank, even then it will only affect who is crowned Champions, not if we gain promotion.

So, like Frankie says, RELAX! Chill out everyone. Get off the player's backs, stop worrying about form, injuries, formations, trust in Darren. Don't create tension and pressure on prrformances when all that’s needed is a cool head. Stop biting your nails and simply enjoy the weeks ahead. It is rarely, ever this easy...
Well said, couldn't have put it better myself.
We will be crowned champions, I am still very confident.
This isn't even a blip. If we lose to Accrington next week then it will be a blip but that's all it will be.
But we won't lose next week. A big win is just round the corner and then watch us go.
Catch us if you can, I say to all the clubs chasing.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 18, 2017, 11:48:29 pm by dickos1 »
Be nice to gain promotion on sky v Plymouth

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 19, 2017, 12:03:34 am by RedJ »
What'd it take for it to be confirmed on that day?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 19, 2017, 12:09:32 am by dickos1 »
We'd have to increase the gap between us and 4th by 11 points over the next 7 games, including the Plymouth one. So if we increase it to 19 points in time for the Plymouth match we could clinch promotion that day.
So pretty much have to win 5 or 6 of our next 6 games.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:26:18 am by dickos1 »

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 19, 2017, 01:12:04 am by not on facebook »
Best post I have read on here for yonks please step forward mr. Donnybob.

If there is some posters on here that can't see throu the woods for the trees what's it like with the matchday crowd up in the stands ?

Said this when SOD was running the ship ' the time to worry and start
To throw your toys out of the pram is when you can see when the players are not playing for the manager'

Whatever is served up during the mean a lot worse can happen at sea.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 19, 2017, 06:39:22 am by Donnywolf »
There have been signs that certain supporters are being troubled by their bladders of late, turning on certain players, concerned the wheels have fallen off, when in reality we have lost just one game in the last 10 and remain unbeaten at home all season.

Well, relax. Seriously, calm down. 14 games left? Who else in the top 10 has lost one or fewer games over the last 10 except us? (Exeter and Mansfield). All our challengers are losing games and they are set to lose more. That is an indisputable fact. Why? Let me explain.

FEB 21
Colchester v Wycombe

FEB 25
Carlisle v Portsmouth
Luton v Plymouth

FEB 28
Grimsby v Colchester

MAR 4
Grimsby v Wycombe
Plymouth v Carlisle

MAR 11
Colchester v Portsmouth
Luton v Stevenage
Mansfield v Plymouth

MAR 14
Carlisle v Luton
Colchester v Mansfield
Portsmouth v Grimsby
Wycombe v Plymouth

MAR 18
Luton v Exeter
Mansfield v Carlisle
Stevenage v Portsmouth

MAR 25
Colchester v Luton

Well said, couldn't have put it better myself.
We will be crowned champions, I am still very confident.
This isn't even a blip. If we lose to Accrington next week then it will be a blip but that's all it will be.
But we won't lose next week. A big win is just round the corner and then watch us go.
Catch us if you can, I say to all the clubs chasing.

.... ditto and you could not have put that reply better either

Yesterday was a hard fought draw against a cynical set of time wasting gits who can also play and desperate as I was for us to put one over to reward their cynicism it just did not happen

However we cant win em all and the last 4 games have proved it but (for me) the metaphorical Champagne is on the metaphorical ice already.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 19, 2017, 07:47:51 am by Jimmydee »
Wolfie quote.....
However we cant win em all and the last 4 games have proved it but (for me) the metaphorical Champagne is on the metaphorical ice already.

I can remember a Cloughie interview post match when Forest had lost after a remarkable run of wins, the interviewer said "well Mr Clough, you can't win them all" .  Cloughie replied with " why can't they? That's what they get paid to do".   Genius.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 19, 2017, 07:50:20 am by Donnywolf »
Yes he was certainly a character and motivator AND yes he was right with that quote too

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 19, 2017, 07:54:52 am by Campsall rover »
Be nice to gain promotion on sky v Plymouth

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 19, 2017, 07:56:41 am by Campsall rover »
What'd it take for it to be confirmed on that day?
That may be just a touch optermistic.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 19, 2017, 10:04:49 am by RedJ »
Well not really that fat fetched. We've gone on the sort of run that's required already this year.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 19, 2017, 10:13:05 am by Dutch Uncle »
Excellent post DonnyBob. :thumbsup:

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 19, 2017, 10:20:17 am by idler »
As well as us winning it's how many the chasing teams drop as well.
We win they lose 3 point bigger gap and one less game to play.
We have a great cushion, be aware but not overconfident.
Good professionals know what is needed.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 19, 2017, 10:48:46 am by Herbert Anchovy »
With the possible exception of Oslo's fish cake incident this has got to be the post of the season so far. Absolutely brilliant.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 19, 2017, 10:58:49 am by Metalmicky »
Good post......... 85 points has been enough to get promotion in the last two years - so that is the benchmark.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 19, 2017, 10:59:44 am by balbyrover »
In all honesty,for us not to win promotion it would take a awful meltdown on our part and a upturn in results from the teams chasing us. Even with our recent 4 match winless run we still have a very healthy points gap over the chasing pack.
6 more wins and we will be just about over the line.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 19, 2017, 11:17:06 am by roversdude »
Donnybob great post and insight to upcoming games
Your attention to detail was brilliant - you are the new BST

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 19, 2017, 09:05:28 pm by drfchound »
A group of five or six lads behind me on Saturday were constantly berating certain players from the off, Williams was especially the brunt of it.
Mason was probably the second on their list.
When Luton scored it was " we were sixteen points clear of fourth a few games ago and now it is only 8"
I had to say to them" but this game isn't over yet lads".
It was eleven points with 15 to go before kick off and it is now  still 11 points with 14 to go.
Really, some fans always look for the bad things.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 19, 2017, 09:18:03 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Donnybob great post and insight to upcoming games
Your attention to detail was brilliant - you are the new BST

If I hadn't seen a number of equally excellent earlier posts from DonnyBob I would have been reckoning BST had been hacking his account  ;)

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 20, 2017, 09:05:49 am by Donnybob »
I miss BST. His rational, thought provoking posts are sorely missed.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 20, 2017, 09:26:50 am by Filo »
I miss BST. His rational, thought provoking posts are sorely missed.

Yes, would love to see his analysis of our run in

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 20, 2017, 12:03:20 pm by acacia94 »
Yeh I miss BST too. Great analysis and bloody funny. Cmon back lad.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 20, 2017, 12:29:40 pm by roversdude »
Yeh I miss BST too. Great analysis and bloody funny. Cmon back lad.

Seconded

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 20, 2017, 04:15:18 pm by ZiggerZagger »
Excellent post. Would be nice to get promotion at Grimsby  :woohoo: :scarf:

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 21, 2017, 12:41:50 am by les@donr »
....or at home to Mansfield, that would make Fatty Evans happy. :woohoo:

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 21, 2017, 03:30:39 am by Sammy Chung was King »

She was never the same after Frank died and the car dealership went down the pan-i blame Barry always had 'hair brained' ideas.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 21, 2017, 03:38:29 am by les@donr »

She was never the same after Frank died and the car dealership went down the pan-i blame Barry always had 'hair brained' ideas.

If there is any chance we could get promoted after this game, the SYP will have it moved to a noon ko, even then there will be brawling after the game, there will be Mansfield kids looking for a fight with our own young un's.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 28, 2017, 09:44:04 pm by Donnybob »
Did someone not tell you...?

RELAX.

12 points clear of 4th, 12 to play.

Oh, and 17 points ahead of 8th. Not bad for a team that's supposedly having a wobble.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 28, 2017, 09:48:31 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
12 more points should do it!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012