Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:51:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: the catt chronicles...  (Read 2296 times)

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
the catt chronicles...
« on February 19, 2017, 09:55:28 pm by Herman Hessian »
...in the free press - absolutely loving these !

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/the-catt-chronicles-part-two-king-billy-got-his-young-guns-firing-1-8312067

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/the-catt-chronicles-part-three-1986-87-95-96-bright-young-talent-and-the-darkest-clouds-for-doncaster-rovers-1-8396942

takes me right back to when i first went to watch rovers on my own - lurking about outside plough lane (very early 80's) to get autographs only to be nearly bowled arse over tit by some bloke in a big green rover tearing out of the car park - squeal of brakes, door flies open - and dave bassett screaming "get out of the way you little cünt" at me - heh....

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
Re: the catt chronicles...
« Reply #1 on February 19, 2017, 10:16:58 pm by Dagenham Rover »
...in the free press - absolutely loving these !

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/the-catt-chronicles-part-two-king-billy-got-his-young-guns-firing-1-8312067

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/the-catt-chronicles-part-three-1986-87-95-96-bright-young-talent-and-the-darkest-clouds-for-doncaster-rovers-1-8396942

takes me right back to when i first went to watch rovers on my own - lurking about outside plough lane (very early 80's) to get autographs only to be nearly bowled arse over tit by some bloke in a big green rover tearing out of the car park - squeal of brakes, door flies open - and dave bassett screaming "get out of the way you little cünt" at me - heh....

Did you bother asking for his autograph?  :blink:

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 19, 2017, 10:23:29 pm by roversdude »
Great read, Roy Cork was first guy I worked with at pit. Can still hear his laugh to this day what a top bloke he was

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 19, 2017, 10:36:09 pm by Herman Hessian »
Did you bother asking for his autograph?  :blink:

nah - but i got king billy, stevie lister, billy russell and willie boyd

:)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 20, 2017, 08:22:38 am by Herbert Anchovy »
A really good read. Brings back plenty of memories, some good but mostly bad. Even pre Richardson we had some dire times with the McKay/Kinnear era teams. I remember at the time thinking that being a Rovers fan couldn't get much worse. What little I knew. Just a shame that we couldn't keep the youth team together.

Askern Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 20, 2017, 08:49:53 am by Askern Rover »
You can also listen to these interviews on audio boom
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:47:03 am by Askern Rover »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 20, 2017, 10:08:49 am by The Red Baron »
A really good read. Brings back plenty of memories, some good but mostly bad. Even pre Richardson we had some dire times with the McKay/Kinnear era teams. I remember at the time thinking that being a Rovers fan couldn't get much worse. What little I knew. Just a shame that we couldn't keep the youth team together.

As Peter Catt correctly points out, Richardson was seen by many as a saviour. Before he came in Rovers were very close to going out of business on more than one occasion. And from 1987 onwards times were pretty grim.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 22, 2017, 10:49:43 am by Lifelong supporter »
Brings back a lot of memories.
The thing I especially like are the little anecdotes like Snod's response when Brevett asked for half a lager, Wetzel and Kinnear almost coming to blows and big Billy Whitehurst bursting into the bar at Rochdale as if it was a Wild West saloon.
I'm already looking forward to the next instalment.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 22, 2017, 10:51:48 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
Really enjoy reading this type of stuff, all before I was born/old enough to follow football.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 22, 2017, 11:31:39 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Am I right in thinking that at one point we had Billy Whitehurst and Tommy Tynan playing in the same side? If so that must be one of the oldest striking partnership in football history.

I remember Ian Snodin telling a story about his time at Everton regarding Billy Whitehurst. Apparently in an earlier match Billy Whitehurst nobbled Everton midfielder Paul Bracewell so badly that it pretty much ended his career. The Everton players were furious and were out for revenge the next time they came up against him. Billy Whitehurst had an idea that this may be the case and in the pre match warm up went over to Snodin and effectively said that he was willing to go toe to toe with any Everton player who wanted it. Snods reported this to the team and the plan for revenge was, unsurprisingly, cancelled.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 22, 2017, 11:48:57 am by IDM »
One of the oldest, but I remember Wycombe once had a strike pair of Simon Garner and Cyril Regis, both in their late 30s..

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 22, 2017, 12:33:59 pm by The Red Baron »
Tommy Tynan. He really had jumped the shark by the time we signed him. Did next to nothing apart from scoring a typical poacher's goal at Scunny.

He and Billy Whitehurst were playing in a pre-season friendly at Tadcaster. A home defender went in rather hard on Tommy. As they lined up for the free kick Billy hit the defender full-on with an elbow. The ref saw it, gave Billy a lecture but amazingly allowed him to carry on! I think Billy Bremner subbed him soon after and no doubt he spent the rest of afternoon in the clubhouse bar!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 22, 2017, 12:47:51 pm by roversdude »
Tommy Tynam must have been unluckiest striker in the world whilst with us
Never seen anyone hit woodwork so much

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 22, 2017, 01:09:28 pm by Campsall rover »
Tommy Tynam must have been unluckiest striker in the world whilst with us
Never seen anyone hit woodwork so much
I am sure there was a strikers curse hanging over Belle Vue.
Tommy Tynan scored an absolute bag full of goals for Plymouth Argyle.
Carl Alford likewise at Stevenage although that was much later.
And there have been plenty of others who scored for other clubs but couldn't hit a barn door on the hollowed Belle Vue turf.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 22, 2017, 01:18:18 pm by roversdude »
Think the one he scored hit him on ar*e or other body part

TinyPortal © 2005-2012